Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

gonna be in Tahiti in september, I'm thinking super hard about making a fly fishing trip to Tetioria, an atoll like bora bora but without bora bora  ... went down a rabbit hole and found it, quite possibly the stupidest place (maybe in the world) to fly fish for bone fish and then some.  not the diving thread but there are dive sites there too and a dive shop.  fucking insane. I may die broke but holy shit the pictures and memories...

PHO226e7a90-22d9-11e4-81dc-f34e27a6788c-805x453.jpg

PHO8133f780-22d9-11e4-81dc-f34e27a6788c-805x453.jpg

Don’t get pissed when your guide starts calling you “le débutant” in French. :)

33 minutes ago, davidg said:

Don’t get pissed when your guide starts calling you “le débutant” in French. :)

Hahahaha, sounds sexy in French. 

shit I’m gonna buy a salt rig and practice every day in the back yard for that fucking trip. Expert level by the time I go! 

there is exactly one guide for the atoll and he comes from another island.  Bone fish can exceed 10 lbs easily I’m told. 

26 minutes ago, troph said:

Hahahaha, sounds sexy in French. 

shit I’m gonna buy a salt rig and practice every day in the back yard for that fucking trip. Expert level by the time I go! 

there is exactly one guide for the atoll and he comes from another island.  Bone fish can exceed 10 lbs easily I’m told. 

How much of a pain in the ass is it to get there?

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

How much of a pain in the ass is it to get there?

Austin to LAX (4 hours) to Tahiti (8 hours) then a puddle jumper (20 mins). The real cost is lodging, still not sure I’m going to pull the trigger but we are there on miles and I have costs for covered for the other parts of the trip as an advisor to a travel company so this would be an add on that makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Austin to LAX (4 hours) to Tahiti (8 hours) then a puddle jumper (20 mins). The real cost is lodging, still not sure I’m going to pull the trigger but we are there on miles and I have costs for covered for the other parts of the trip as an advisor to a travel company so this would be an add on that makes no sense.

I just didn’t know how far it was from the more visited areas of Tahiti.

Tetioara is closer to Tahiti than Bora Bora. We did 5 nights in Moorea, 4 in BB and 1 in Tahiti proper for our 15th anniversary. In 2006 we paid $450-800 a night and I imagine it’s close to double that a night now for where we stayed. We’ve talked about going back but $$$.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, davidg said:

Tetioara is closer to Tahiti than Bora Bora. We did 5 nights in Moorea, 4 in BB and 1 in Tahiti proper for our 15th anniversary. In 2006 we paid $450-800 a night and I imagine it’s close to double that a night now for where we stayed. We’ve talked about going back but $$$.

It’s silly yes. Did you fish anywhere? I’m thinking about checking out other islands for fly fishing - the allure of tetioara is its almost unspoiled and close to Tahiti so we can easily get off the ship and fly over then fly back to Tahiti for our flight home. The downside is only one hotel and the guide is a minimum 3 days. Hard to do that when there is chill time and dive time needed too and we are only there for 3 days. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So it turns out Tetiaroa is the next new GT hotspot. Troph, you better not fuck this up, we're all counting on you...

This, bonefish can be found in a number of places. GT’s are what you are looking for where you are going. I watched a special somewhere with some guys that were big time GT guys and it was pretty amazing. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Yes they are there that’s part of what we would fish for and larger than normal bonefish. I don’t know the species well so I didn’t mention. 

fuck the bonefish - that’s what she said. 

Edited by troph

Played hooky Tuesday afternoon and drove down to fish the evening and morning.  Buddy and I managed to hook a few reds on mullet around sunset and again in the morning, caught a few sand trout on plastics but the moon, fresh water and the front on Monday must have run off all the specks, didn’t catch a single one.  The mosquitoes weren’t bad, the sunset, campfire and a couple beers were worth the trip  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, troph said:

Great pic! 

Thanks, should have adjusted upward a bit to catch more sky but was in a hurry since he had a fish on.  If you’re ever interested in going there let me know and I’ll give you directions.  Pretty easy to get a camper like yours there, but fly fishing is spotty mainly because of wind. Great wading and kayaking though.  

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Thanks, should have adjusted upward a bit to catch more sky but was in a hurry since he had a fish on.  If you’re ever interested in going there let me know and I’ll give you directions.  Pretty easy to get a camper like yours there, but fly fishing is spotty mainly because of wind. Great wading and kayaking though.  

Always more sky! But the midline there is solid and the rod arched. I like it.

I love to wade fish gives me something to do in the surf. I really need to make more time for Texas coast fishing. Where is that? 

Edited by troph

17 minutes ago, troph said:

Always more sky! But the midline there is solid and the rod arched. I like it.

I love to wade fish gives me something to do in the surf. I really need to make more time for Texas coast fishing. Where is that? 

It’s called Oyster Lake (Park), near Palacios.  Directly in front of my friend to the West is Port O’Connor, across the bay.  A pretty easy 3 hour drive from here and usually not crowded, particularly during the week. Good cell signal and places to park the rv when tides are normal. No water or electric hookups though. Check out the aerial on this link, although it was taken during a low tide with relatively clear water.

https://matagordabeach.org/matagorda-bay-kayak-paddling-trails/oyster-lake-park/

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, troph said:

Looks fantastic! Can you park on those sand bars and not get covered up during high tide? 

Yeah, the south end of the little peninsula never gets water, except during severe storms. It’s not soft sand either, it’s hard crushed oyster shell so even in rain it’s not an issue getting in or out.  The road getting there is gravel and can be a little bumpy after a rain, but they generally maintain it pretty well now that there are shrimp farms and a couple of gas wells off of it.  Much better than when I was a kid, that bridge was wood and the road would rattle your teeth out.  Another Surly poster, Bevo andPevo’s grandparents used to operate a bait camp there up until the early 70s.  

• Hook 'Em 1

If you don’t want to drag the camper, you can drive 15 miles or so into Palacios and stay at the Luther, it’s an eclectic treat.  One of the oldest hotels on the coast.  The old red-headed lady that Jack, the late owner named as trustee of the place is fixing up rooms that haven’t been used in over 50 years.  It’s an odd, non fancy place, but there is a great fishing pier across the street.  

https://lutherhotelpalacios.com/?fbclid=IwAR2CCyC9c7lP-N55j-cp5y06_nKOP4XdpyTVYXNR1g7zH4qLoWOc-x5hhto

Disclaimer, the rooms aren’t “extremely clean”, unless you are judging by 103 year old standards.  They are clean enough and interesting.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 7/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, Lat22 said:

Moon going down, sun coming up.
9bab3009f5b733d5a8556677d3a200c5.jpg

Did you do any good?  I assume you weren't up that early for a boat ride. I was out of town but my bro stayed at my house and fished all weekend.  They didn't fare too well in the am but had some decent stringers late afternoon Saturday.

15 hours ago, Zwylde said:

Did you do any good?  I assume you weren't up that early for a boat ride. I was out of town but my bro stayed at my house and fished all weekend.  They didn't fare too well in the am but had some decent stringers late afternoon Saturday.

Not really.  Couple of 15 inch trout down by the entrance to Carancahua.  It was early for me, but a tad bit late for the topwater bite.

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Not really.  Couple of 15 inch trout down by the entrance to Carancahua.  It was early for me, but a tad bit late for the topwater bite.

When I was a kid they didn’t tell me fishing was hard, that it was like baseball and strikeouts happen from time to time and homeruns don’t happene every time.  Then I grew up and changed the game. I win the moment I step on the boat and smell the salty water and put the land and all its bullshit aside.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Truth be told, sometimes I go out and never take a rod out of the holder.

hell yeah.  I'm at that point that about the only thing that soothes my troubled / tormented middle aged soul is the water and sometimes the fish.  I don't care how, sailing, fishing, surfing, diving, ocean, lake, rafting down a river, hot ass Central Texas river, cool as shit Colorado mountain stream, west coast, Keys, Mexico, Gulf, bays, skinny water, blue water, doesn't matter, but that's maybe the only thing that works.  well that and the tennis courts, but that's for a different thread.

I kinda wonder wtf is wrong with me, I know y'all've been saying somethings wrong for a long ass time, I'm just catching up.

Port A next week.  So excite!

I will have my fly rod with me and will be hitting up some of the channels for specks and redfish on a kayak.  This will be the first time I have tried out fishing with fly gear at the coast, so I expect there to be some hilarity involved.

If I die, please give my rep to a needy poster.

• Hook 'Em 1

reading up on GTs and found this gem:

Give them their head freely early on and it will result in tears. If a GT gets any sort of opportunity to focus on looking for somewhere to cut your line, it will. Often the leader or fly line gets damaged on that first helter skelter run over the reef and past any bit of protruding coral – for this reason the 60lb core in the RIO GT line is vital as it can withstand some abuse and gives you a margin for wear and tear. If you stick it to them as hard as you possibly can right from the opening, and you can maintain that pressure, you can beat them.

I describe it as putting your foot on their throat and keeping it there, tarpon anglers talk about the same thing, the battle of wills, the need to dominate the fish – or you will probably lose. Unless there’s sand for as far as the eye can see you simply do not let a GT run, you’re not in this game to watch a reel spinning nicely or to admire the jumps– give them nothing, make them earn every inch- they will take it, but your task is to make it as difficult and as uncomfortable for that fish as you possibly can. Do that and you’ll win a few.

https://www.sageflyfish.com/gt-madness-by-peter-morse?gclid=CjwKCAjwxo6IBhBKEiwAXSYBs_br_S34JPUeCEhcQxZTWnMa0UsiaqDVjT8B_oECapm8YlQao-0RphoCHx0QAvD_BwE

pic from another site:

spacer.png

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have three major problems, well four one of which I don't give a shit about (the last one):

1. The guide is a minimum 3 days, can't do that.  So I may have to go it alone, question open as to whether they will let me. 

2. I don't have the gear, there is none to rent, even if I had the guide I'd need my own gear.

3. once I'm there, I have to find these fish and catch them.

4. I'm a saltwater flyfishing n00b.

I don't care about 4. fuck the haters.  So to 1, 2 and 3. 

For 1, if I go it alone, I just do that. $3000 which is the guide cost for 3 days without tip for what will likely be two late afternoon easy attempts in the flats/surf makes no sense. We are staying on the island so we have rights to go and do (it is a private island).  I've asked to see if we are allowed to fish on our own. If we can't then I may be DOA.  I can think of worse things than wading out from a villa on to the flats and surf fishing and catching nothing.  probably just got laid, was diving that morning.  finished up with a massage, then got my fishing gear together, went out to fish with a sunset on the way with a nice dinner after that.  yeah, fml, no one will cry especially me.  strike out? so what.  Ok, 1 is solved.  sorta. haha.

For 2, holy shit the gear is expensive for a proper GT set up.  I'll probably drop $2-3K on it from a cursory review.  But that's not the biggest concern, the biggest concern is missing something.  gotta find an expert to set me up.  who?

For 3, shit, man I don't know.  Glad I tarpon fished the other weekend with that florida schmuck.  looks like tarpon and GT fishing are very similar.  sight fishing, get the fly in front of the fish, point the rod down, strip strike, strip, strip, strip some more, then up with the rod hold the line until it is tight and then fight like a mother fucker.  got it.  but actually finding them, hmmm, no skiff, just me and my water shoes.  ok, I guess back to point 1, poor me.  I don't swim in the surf, that's for @sidis and his frenchy super models.  I mean I'll lay by the pool, get naked in the hot tub with my ladyfriend and dawn a dress for dinner, but the salt water?  the straight girls can do their bikini thing, this one knows what's up, the salt water is for fishing and so what the fuck, maybe I get to practice my casting in the surf for a few hours.  boo hoo, no big deal. sorta. haha.

For 4, well if I get gear I'll sure as shit practice in the back yard, I have had good success in the rivers and streams on a fly, and my florida grumpy pants guide did teach me the back casting technique so I'm not going in cold.  I've got a solid 30 foot cast if it's go time, that's laughable I'm sure, but it's what I got.  It's not Colt McCoy but it is a McCoy (looking at you herpa derpa).  so I'll try and do my best, maybe I win.

I'll probably look to fish other species too, but yeah you guys are right the GT is it.

So in summary, tl;dr whatever, looks like if the hotel will let me fish on my own, then I have a gear problem and some reading up to do on when, where and how to catch and then I need to lower my expectations and have a good time. 

So I think it really boils down to a gear problem. 

amirite?

Edited by troph

23 minutes ago, catfish said:

GTs are notorious for breaking 12wts, I’d bring multiple 

Dammit that’s not what I wanted to hear. 😉

would probably need to find some used gear...

not used but on ebay, maybe pick up three of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262775194396?hash=item3d2e9f431c:g:~eMAAOSweiZf2O-y

and one of these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304077587610?hash=item46cc6fc49a:g:su0AAOSwDr9f7gXZ

Edited by troph

Spend big on the reel. Get a quality cork or sealed drag reel and buy two TFO Mangrove 12wt rods for $300 each. Return the unused one if you end up not needing it. For reels I'd look Abel, Tibor or Nautilus. I'm partial to the Tibor Gulfstream, which is probably the heaviest of the three, but it's got a great big smooth cork drag. You can find them brand new for around $750. Abel Super 12 would be about the same price and is also a cork drag. The Abel STS is a sealed CF drag and would probably run you $1,200 for the 12wt. Nautilus is also a sealed drag, made in Fla, and probably around the same price point as the Tibor. 

If you've got "Fuck you" money, look at a Mako or Siegler. 

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Oh, and practice your knots. Probably more important than your casting distance for these fish. They will punish a shitty knot. Especially early when you're trying to put the screws to them. 60lb flouro is a bitch to get a good knot. 

I was thinking I would tie my knots stateside on a bunch of leaders/flies and go ready like the offshore guides do for the pelagics. shit's done, tight and ready before I even get on the plane.  not to say I wouldn't be ready to tie a few there.  just have most set up and ready.

youtube basically says GT's will fuck your shit up, race to the coral and look to break your shit off so they can get away.  with the fight they put up knots are the first to go, lines after that, then rod if you're unlucky. 

sportsman's finest is a Tibor dealer. word.  i'll be up there tomorrow am to chat, though they don't have that one in stock.  can get it online in 4 weeks.  guides say you want a one turn zero-to-full drag adjustment when fishing for GT, ain't got no time for futzing with it when one is on the line.  I think my freshwater is TFO.  SMF has 12 weight in stock. 

a Tibor gulfstream and two rods puts me at $1500.  then line, probs a dozen flies and leaders for all of them.  plus backing and line.  I have pliers and other gear, back back, etc. so maybe I can get in and out for $2000.

I owe you a beer and a trip on a hatty 50 if you hook me up with a GT down there.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, troph said:

I was thinking I would tie my knots stateside on a bunch of leaders/flies and go ready like the offshore guides do for the pelagics. shit's done, tight and ready before I even get on the plane.  not to say I wouldn't be ready to tie a few there.  just have most set up and ready.

youtube basically says GT's will fuck your shit up, race to the coral and look to break your shit off so they can get away.  with the fight they put up knots are the first to go, lines after that, then rod if you're unlucky. 

sportsman's finest is a Tibor dealer. word.  i'll be up there tomorrow am to chat, though they don't have that one in stock.  can get it online in 4 weeks.  guides say you want a one turn zero-to-full drag adjustment when fishing for GT, ain't got no time for futzing with it when one is on the line.  I think my freshwater is TFO.  SMF has 12 weight in stock. 

a Tibor gulfstream and two rods puts me at $1500.  then line, probs a dozen flies and leaders for all of them.  plus backing and line.  I have pliers and other gear, back back, etc. so maybe I can get in and out for $2000.

I owe you a beer and a trip on a hatty 50 if you hook me up with a GT down there.

Yea, the Siegler and Mako are one turn reels and priced appropriately. Hardy also makes one that’s more in the Tiber / Nautilus price range. Hardy makes good shit, but their reels don’t have as big a following here in the US. Andy Mill fishes them, and that dude knows a thing or two about Tarpon. (His book Tarpon is back in print, and a must read for fly fishermen)

8 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, the Siegler and Mako are one turn reels and priced appropriately. Hardy also makes one that’s more in the Tiber / Nautilus price range. Hardy makes good shit, but their reels don’t have as big a following here in the US. Andy Mill fishes them, and that dude knows a thing or two about Tarpon. (His book Tarpon is back in print, and a must read for fly fishermen)

Here’s what’s off the shelf at Sportsman’s Finest…. 

Rods:

Sage Maverick 9' 11 wt. - $550

TFO Axiom 2x series 9' 11 wt - $369

Reels:

Redington Grande Super Torque (8-9-10-11 wt) - $349

Ross (11-12 wt) - $795

Abel - uh, yeah no.

Nautilus - 9 wt was the highest they had in stock.

Tibor - none in stock.

I may go online for the Tibor though, looks like some folks have it, many require a custom order and 4-6 weeks of waiting.  I'm partial to buying local so I can go in and talk and pick their brain and not feel guilty about it.  but if they don't have what I want, then I gotta go where I gotta go.  I've got an email out to Red's Fly Fishing Shop out of WA I think, they claim 4 weeks only.

In stock, the Redington is compelling the drag on it is highly functional - large easy to find dial without looking.  The Ross is sleek but hard to locate the drag knob.  The Redington adjusts quickly so less turning needed to go from a starting point to tighter drag.  The salesperson said they'd look at the Redington thought it would work, backing was the issue and I don't recall what they said they would put on there.  Both are sealed systems. 

Redington: you can see how prominent the drag knob is on the second pic.

9D1441B7-5604-4C0C-84E7-CB6E2F3B2697.jpeg

B9D88807-6BED-4A97-B6C6-9126BAFA9234.jpeg

Ross:  you can see how flat the drag dial is, hard to grasp in a pinch.

7F2ECFBA-CA45-49EC-9CB0-DE76ED1974A0.jpeg

5E9EE499-6F20-48E0-9B65-21049911A0E2.jpeg

($370 x 2) + range of $350-795 = $1090 - $1535 for a set up.

thoughts?

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I have a tibor on the list after Pescados recommendation a year or so ago. I’ve been traveling too much to just have it in the corner at home but may rectify that soon.  I studied up on them pretty hard and that’s where I landed. 

Yeah I’m not a big study up kinda person, I like hearing what people I respect have to say, try it and buy. The tibor has a solid knob for the drag in the pictures which is my main issue on those from a functional standpoint. 

I have that Redington Grande. It’s a great reel for the money, but probably not a GT reel. Perfectly serviceable as a Tarpon reel, though. If your going to go half way around the world to chase a GT, don’t skimp on a reel to save a couple hundred bucks. That Ross is interesting. The Evo R Salt is the same drag that’s in the Abel STS (Ross owns Abel) I have it in a 9-10 size on my Louisiana Bull Red rod. The drag knob is a little hard to find in the heat of battle, but with practice it’s not so bad. The drag is super smooth, though. I probably need to go by living waters in RR this week to pick up a pack of #4 hooks. I’ll peep their rod racks and see what they have in stock. They carry Scott, TFO, and Echo.