Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Thanks!  Looks like they have more availability at least.  Since there are three of us I'll have to think about whether to hope they could combine us with another small group or try to talk my BIL or someone else into going.  Although when I mentioned going without her last night, my wife started getting pouty.

17 hours ago, Damor said:

Thanks, y'all!  I'm checking in with Black Canyon, but it looks like this is something I probably should have thought about earlier -- I got an additional recommendation from the guys at ArkAnglers for RIGS, and they're already booked all but one day in July.  I'm even having trouble getting our usual accommodations in Gunnison and Salida this far out -- guess the whole world has gone crazy.

Now you’ve got me thinking about Amica’s Pizza. 

• Drool 1

Now that F Street is a pedestrian zone, sitting outdoors at Amicas with a view of the "S" is one of my favorite places in the world.  If you haven't been lately, the new Pizza Rio above the Boat House (run by the same folks, NY style) is pretty damn good as well.

Between Amicas, Moonlight, Rio, Great Divide in Gunnison, and Secret Stash in CB, you'd think I'd get tired of pizza and beer when on vacation.

Nope.

• Like 1

Took a day off from a golf vacation in Sarasota yesterday to do some fishing. We couldn’t get out til 10 due to the fog, but when we did, it was on. We landed a dozen snook in 45 minutes then made a run out into the bay. We tried to pick up some mangroves for dinner, which we did, about a 10, but the jacks were ruthless. Every cast. Maybe 8 to 1. My elbow is sore AF. Then we went back into the river and did some more snooking, flipping freelined pilchards under docks and trying not to get broke off. Landed about a dozen more and called it a day by 2.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

@4th and 5 I hate those jacks.  We were fishing the Baker rigs, in blue water, in early spring many years ago. Couldn’t get away from them and probably could have caught 200 or more if we wanted to. Moved inshore to the26 in green water and one pass again every rod goes off. They all spit the hook except one and of course I am on it. I’m thumbing the spool on a 30w to lose the fucker for about 10 minutes and then it pops up. It’s a 90 pound hoo..

Leave the next week to fish Costa Rica. I had never fished there. First day out we are live baiting at Furuno which isn’t really an option anymore, but anyway we hook a sailfish and captain puts the boat in neutral like the clueless  fucks they were back then. The other baits sink and one rod goes off. My buddy picks it up and ends up landing a 50 pound cub era. While he’s fighting it the other rod pops out of the outrigger and I pick it up. 20 minutes later I landed a jack crevalle. I almost swore off the place.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Hell yes on the fly fishing.  I swear every year I’m loading up and doing that in the winter, never do. What did you use, will they hit a dry this time of year?

im damn envious! Awesome fish.

Yes, but also prepared to get skunked. Shiny and tiny and deep if you want to come tight in the winter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Hell yes on the fly fishing.  I swear every year I’m loading up and doing that in the winter, never do. What did you use, will they hit a dry this time of year?

im damn envious! Awesome fish.

Everything I caught Tuesday was on a No.16 perdigon as the point fly under a San Juan worm and bobber. Buddy caught one streaming (polar minnow); otherwise, all his joy was also on nymphs.

We witnessed a small number of rises--far less than typical--and midges were flying about later in the day, so some trout almost certainly would have taken a No.22 or 24 Griffith's gnat. I never bothered as I hate messing with anything that tiny. I'm a lazy, unskilled flyfisherman with presbyopia, so I usually just fish straight line for leader and tie on anything with an eyelet large enough for the leader to pass through.

As Colt notes, dry flying this time of year is going to be slow. The same holes we were on Tuesday will be boiling with rises by late February, and the trout will take most anything, even stuff out of season like beetles and yellow sallies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Costa del Mar fanboys:

Sunglass Hut has many models of Costa for 30% off ($189 x .7 = $132)

If you buy one, you get 50% off the already 30% off price for all additional (not just one) glasses purchased

I just bought 4 Brine green mirror/amber lens for me and my son for $132 + $66 + $66 + $66

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Costa del Mar fanboys:

Sunglass Hut has many models of Costa for 30% off ($189 x .7 = $132)

If you buy one, you get 50% off the already 30% off price for all additional (not just one) glasses purchased

I just bought 4 Brine green mirror/amber lens for me and my son for $132 + $66 + $66 + $66

Would you happen to know if the glass lensed models are part of the deal? 

Hat tip to @Mac8111, a shoreline he pointed out to me earlier this year paid off big on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday. We caught 13 keeper reds 22”-26” and 3 18” trout, wading knee deep with topwater lures. The fog was so thick at times you could barely see the end of your cast. And there were stingrays everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, Damor said:

Thanks, y'all!  I'm checking in with Black Canyon, but it looks like this is something I probably should have thought about earlier -- I got an additional recommendation from the guys at ArkAnglers for RIGS, and they're already booked all but one day in July.  I'm even having trouble getting our usual accommodations in Gunnison and Salida this far out -- guess the whole world has gone crazy.

On 12/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

sorry, i missed this @Damor...i would check with gunnison river expeditions in pleasure park as well.

sorry me too, took a break for 6 weeks-ish. this is where we fished the Gunnison.  highly recommend the full day float trip. get up the river on the boat and float down.  it was a little long by the time we were done but worth every moment.  highlights...

my oldest son... on that stretch colt is talking about.

gunnison-1.jpg

damn I think chicks that fish are hot!

gunnison-3.jpg

you should definitely fish there, one of the best fishing trips I've ever been on.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

oh and another question - any one with experience in yosemite fly fishing in December?  looks like there are limited spots open (weather permitting). considering a xmas trip to yosemite valley and the Ahwahnee hotel. looks iconic in the winter/xmas.

Honestly, not much happening on the Merced in the winter. It's actually pretty slow in the summer, too.  East Walker and Hot Creek on the east side work in the winter, but Tioga Pass usually closes before Thanksgiving and opens mid April, so you really can't easily get there from the valley.  Also. the Owens outside of Bishop is doable in the dead of winter, same access issue though. The Ahwahnee is great, but worn. Doesn't seem to make a difference it's still hard to get a booking there. Reservations open a year out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, otisdog said:

Honestly, not much happening on the Merced in the winter. It's actually pretty slow in the summer, too.  East Walker and Hot Creek on the east side work in the winter, but Tioga Pass usually closes before Thanksgiving and opens mid April, so you really can't easily get there from the valley.  Also. the Owens outside of Bishop is doable in the dead of winter, same access issue though. The Ahwahnee is great, but worn. Doesn't seem to make a difference it's still hard to get a booking there. Reservations open a year out.

thanks for this, with it being a national park I wasn't expecting new and pristine. I think the spot I found in my research was the Tuolumne west of Hetchy reservior.  found a blog with a guide talking about it and saw on california's websites it wasn't restricted in December.  I may have to let this one go for a year or two - I was hoping reservations were 9 months out not 12, seems like it could be a great time for the family with dated but idyllic scenes from the valley, to the chapel (carols on christmas eve with less than 100 people wow), the hotel, and snow hiking possibly, skiing badger pass (I'm sure it's old), and then hoping for some winter fly fishing.  thing is I hate the national parks in the summer. maybe some time later.  bigger fish to catch next month...

Edited by troph

I went back to Alaska for Christmas and got in one day of fishing on a balmy 12* day.  No winter kings were killed, but I did get a fun picture of my downrigger clip skating across the ice and the frosty ass back deck.  In the future I’ll probably stick to August but it was fun to give it a try.  

0C4AFBA0-3F76-4359-A1AE-BA8BC7C8D134.png

E1B2EA61-FCF6-403A-BD06-33039E051A5A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, my daughter is planning on coming back to Austin at the end of February for a week, bringing her two roomies, who are french and have never fished.  They very much want to try fishing.....but I don't think we'll be able to get them down to the coast.  And, I doubt they are up for anything super complicated.

Ideally, I'd like to put them on someone's stock tank, where they can just toss spinnerbaits or even worms to catch bass and sunfish (catch and release).  Do any of y'all have a line on such a place?

If not....some public water where they can do the same, and have a good shot at catching stuff?  If it's public water, they'd need a license, so trying to avoid that, but if that's the best route, they can handle the cost.

Thought about that. One is a nice girl, kinda plain. I think the other is really cute, but not all agree. All that said, nope.

You don’t need a license to fish in a state park. You might check into those trout stockings that TPWD does. Maybe there is one in your area, don’t know if you need a license.

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

You don’t need a license to fish in a state park. You might check into those trout stockings that TPWD does. Maybe there is one in your area, don’t know if you need a license.

Correct about state parks, I’d recommend Buescher if you’re looking to stay close, they release trout there too.  Plus you can rent boats/kayaks.  

14 hours ago, midtown said:
16 hours ago, texashorne said:
I'll be in Cancun February 2nd. Is it worth setting up a fishing trip with a guide this time of year? Recs?

I'll be fishing a few hundred miles south of you that day in Belize

Cool.. Do you have any recs on finding a good charter? I found this one.. https://puertomorelos.fishing/product/big-boss/

I think I may have 6-8 people

33 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Hopefully when Cindy retells the story of her first marlin, she’ll leave out the part where she was asleep when it ate.

Well if I’m going to be completely honest here that was our first marlin of the day and I hooked it on a teaser bite. But the next marlin was a rigger bite and after I hooked it I was holding the rod in one hand and turned around to hand it off to a friend and - oh shit - rod goes flying out of my hand and into the water. I’ve fished all my life and never done that. Our American mate dumps our long rigger bait into freespool for about 15 seconds and then starts slowly reeling in and comes tight. He miraculously snagged the line. Reels a little more and there is our rod and reel. Pick it up and hand it to my friend and the damn fish is still on. Fifteen minutes later we catch the marlin. Fortunately none of this is on video and if anyone ever asks me if it happened I will deny it or at least blame it one someone else.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Well if I’m going to be completely honest here that was our first marlin of the day and I hooked it on a teaser bite. But the next marlin was a rigger bite and after I hooked it I was holding the rod in one hand and turned around to hand it off to a friend and - oh shit - rod goes flying out of my hand and into the water. I’ve fished all my life and never done that. Our American mate dumps our long rigger bait into freespool for about 15 seconds and then starts slowly reeling in and comes tight. He miraculously snagged the line. Reels a little more and there is our rod and reel. Pick it up and hand it to my friend and the damn fish is still on. Fifteen minutes later we catch the marlin. Fortunately none of this is on video and if anyone ever asks me if it happened I will deny it or at least blame it one someone else.

Cindy will learn one of the first lessons any angler needs to know:

Lie