Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It's a part of the anticipation, which is my favorite part. Your mind goes wild thinking about what might happen.

This is so true. I have a really hard time sleeping the night before we fish if we haven’t fished recently. Heck, I have a hard time sleeping if we fished the previous day. I DO NOT like waking up early but if we are leaving the dock at 6 I’m up easily by 5 a.m.

Trolling for billfish is sort of the same thing. You can be having a terrible day with no fish and at the end of the day your eyes are still glued to the teasers because hey, you might raise a huge marlin or 5 sailfish. I’m almost positive most of the people like me that love this sport are ADD. We live for that one rush/bite.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Trolling for billfish is sort of the same thing. You can be having a terrible day with no fish and at the end of the day your eyes are still glued to the teasers because hey, you might raise a huge marlin or 5 sailfish. I’m almost positive most of the people like me that love this sport are ADD. We live for that one rush/bite.

The equivalent in the fly trout world is streamer fishing. I can throw streamers all day long without a single follow, literally 0fer thousands, but every single time that streamer hits the water and starts swimming through the juice box I'm 100% certain the fish of my life is going to inhale it. It's absurd. 0-1000 and when I strike out on 1001 I'm genuinely shocked.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Can you remind me if all the trout in the Guadalupe are stocked yearly ? Because it warms up so much it kills them every summer. That’s been my assumption 

They are stocked yearly. They don’t all die. Some hold over in the deeper, cooler water near the dam. People actually do a pretty good job of not targeting them in the summer…probably because the idiots assume they all die and the guides stop targeting them by the end of April or so. TPWD stocks small Rainbows. Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited stocks some larger browns from a hatchery in Southern Missouri that do fairly well in the guad. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The equivalent in the fly trout world is streamer fishing. I can throw streamers all day long without a single follow, literally 0fer thousands, but every single time that streamer hits the water and starts swimming through the juice box I'm 100% certain the fish of my life is going to inhale it. It's absurd. 0-1000 and when I strike out on 1001 I'm genuinely shocked.

This is why I've always equated fishing to slot-machine gambling, only a lot healthier and (usually) much cheaper.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

They are stocked yearly. They don’t all die. Some hold over in the deeper, cooler water near the dam. People actually do a pretty good job of not targeting them in the summer…probably because the idiots assume they all die and the guides stop targeting them by the end of April or so. TPWD stocks small Rainbows. Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited stocks some larger browns from a hatchery in Southern Missouri that do fairly well in the guad. 

Was just wondering cuz 23” is definitely inching into trophy size. In the sierras usually stocked fish are 10” or so and then they sprinkle in some footballs for the tourists. 

• Like 1

GRTU stocks the larger fish between November and February. During the spring, summer, and fall, the holdovers live in the first few miles of under the dam where the water stays cooler and keeps a good oxygen level. Water was around 67 where we ended. Fish won't survive there much longer. In fact, I saw a fairly large trout in distress swimming on its side underwater - my guess is oxygen depletion. But could be something else.

This was my first time to fish the Guad later than early March. Nice to know there are still plenty of trout.

I actually caught an 18" on a dry fly in one of the ripples. I can't remember ever catching a trout on a dry fly in the Guad.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

just got done with 2.5 days of fishing around Salida.  shutout the first day.  saw one fish caught, and a local I talked to did the same as me.  so I headed up to a remote creek I where I knew I would score.  100% dryfly, on the Tenkara.  it's a rugged hike, about a 4mi round trip in wading boots (neoprene socks, no waders).  pocket fishing small water for small fish (<9"), but they're aggresive and fun.  

this one hit an already shreaded parachute adams

image.thumb.png.dc2e38c92cfb06313d191f5406c71892.png

image.thumb.jpeg.f04ea1fcfff47895747244a6203f00ce.jpeg

hadn't planned to fish today, but after a cup of coffee downtown, I couldn't resist what I was seeing right there, under the stone bridge.  in a half-hour's fishing, I dropped a 14" at my feet, got several  little pissants as long as my hand, and netted this guy.

image.thumb.png.3b3235af596e1bf7f32d8b39c04b27d0.png

no trophies, but a good trip, so far.  

just got to Fruita.  tomorrow, we ride.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

I prefer Moonlight overall as well, but both are great.  Since they made F street a pedestrian zone (I hope permanently), Amicas has the better view, but I prefer the brews at Moonlight (I like Soulcraft, but their contract brews for Amicas aren't quite as good).

And don't sleep on the new NY style Pizza Rio above and run by the Boathouse owners.  Also great.

I'm a shitty and not super serious fly fisherman but I love getting up and fishing the whitewater park before everyone shows up, then hanging/drinking beer by the river while my boys play all day, then getting in a little more casual fishing before walking to dinner and more beer at any of the above.

This is why I'm fat and why I love Salida.

( @wd40, if you ever feel like sharing info on hikeable places in the area, feel free.  I promise I won't catch anything).

Recommend me a 2wt or 3wt rod, pls?

I'm on a shitty run at work and during some downtime, I burned a credit I had at Backcountry on a Ross Colorado 2/3 reel.  I've been daydreaming for a while about getting a creek rig to play with for local panfish like @hookemATL's above and for some smaller streams when I get lucky enough to get to Colorado.  

The next time I get a day off, I plan to head to Living Waters to try several out and get them to set me up with a good line, but in the meantime, y'all please send me down the rabbit hole.  TFO and who else?  Fiberglass?  I'm going stir-crazy and ready to make some bad decisions.

27 minutes ago, Damor said:

I'm on a shitty run at work and during some downtime, I burned a credit I had at Backcountry on a Ross Colorado 2/3 reel.  I've been daydreaming for a while about getting a creek rig to play with for local panfish like @hookemATL's above and for some smaller streams when I get lucky enough to get to Colorado.  

The next time I get a day off, I plan to head to Living Waters to try several out and get them to set me up with a good line, but in the meantime, y'all please send me down the rabbit hole.  TFO and who else?  Fiberglass?  I'm going stir-crazy and ready to make some bad decisions.

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/river-glass/

I think Chris sells them, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Sunfish. God’s gift to adults who take kids fishing. 🙂

She gets so fucking excited for any little fish. It’s the best. And they love to chase after flies just as much as dough bait or salmon eggs under a bobber. 

We have caught some absolute slabs in that same spot, and larger sunfish are fun af to catch on a 3wt rod

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That's important.  $1800 is just breaking even for me. I'm sure it'll creep up and mess with the math a bit, but there's not much "bonus" to it for me to unass $1800 on it. 

Not having to bother buying one every year is worth $50000

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That's important.  $1800 is just breaking even for me. I'm sure it'll creep up and mess with the math a bit, but there's not much "bonus" to it for me to unass $1800 on it. 

TBH, it doesn't bother me paying annual fees to the TPWD.  It's probably the one state government organization that I get the most direct impact out of.   Hunting/fishing licenses, APH permit, BTTH/public hunt drawings, boat registrations, state park passes, camping fees. Yeah, that's a grand or more right there. Just as long as it feeds back into the TPWD and not the general fund I'm OK with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:14 PM, Damor said:

100% get fiberglass. Redington makes one that's a perfect 3wt, I think it's the butterstick?

• Hook 'Em 1