Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Waiting on interior pics and numbers. Price is right. could be yacht finish could be charter finish. I’m expecting the latter. 
Boat market is absolutely horrible right now for buyers.

I’ve seen yachts that haven’t sold in years that went up in price. I guess just in case.  I follow it for the lulz, I guess. 

On 5/1/2022 at 8:44 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

Love the exterior lines and the color.  Where is she located?  Post some details on size, power, etc.

Wish I could. We are getting no response at all so either it already sold or it’s not really for sale. It’s a 50’ Willis.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, fattyflattie said:

Has BD lines.  Beautiful. 

17 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Black drum.  We didn’t weigh it, but it’s one of the bigger ones I’ve seen caught in person.   We didn’t have a net big enough to fit it.

Pictures are always hard to judge but that looks like at least 50-55

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@justhookit did I miss something with the Portafino?  Nothing tragic, hopefully. 

No not at all it’s just time to sell. Market is good and I’ve had her 10 years. Engine hours are getting up and honestly they need an overhaul if you want to fish it as many hours a year as we do. I just did the “1000 hour service” at about 600. Also needs all new electronics other than the radar.

it sucks because the boat itself is in like new condition, and it’s a 2004.

Edit- well other than the bottom. I’ll post pics of that in a minute on the boat thread. But the interior and cockpit are perfect.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

No not at all it’s just time to sell. Market is good and I’ve had her 10 years. Engine hours are getting up and honestly they need an overhaul if you want to fish it as many hours a year as we do. I just did the “1000 hour service” at about 600. Also needs all new electronics other than the radar.

it sucks because the boat itself is in like new condition, and it’s a 2004.

I’d love to make her Queen of the Middle Banks, won’t be now but maybe someday. Happy hunting.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I’d love to make her Queen of the Middle Banks, won’t be now but maybe someday. Happy hunting.  

Man it’s a perfect entry level flybridge for the gulf. That size Viking rides better than most 60 foot boats because of the hull and weight. Trade off is it eats fuel.  I just wouldn’t sell it to anyone I know without them understanding it’s going to take 200,000 to make the boat right again.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/alligator-gar-bayou-catch-17162146.php

Payton Moore dreams of giant fish. The Sugar Land resident set sail down a Houston bayou Thursday, determined to catch one of the largest alligator gars Texas has potentially ever seen.

Unofficially, he did just that, angling a humongous alligator gar more than 8 feet long and weighing upwards of 300 pounds.

Moore, 32, declined to disclose the name of the bayou for the gargantuan fish's protection, but the full-time YouTuber captured the catch on video and posted it to his channel.

When Moore first placed his reel, he thought he may have snagged a tree branch. He couldn't move the other end of his line.

The moment the fish started moving, Moore could tell he'd found a giant. "It felt like somebody's car had just started up and was rolling out of the driveway, and I'm hanging on to the end of it," 

Since the fish was too powerful to reel in while at full strength, he first had to exhaust it. He strategically made it swim in circles and constantly changed its direction to confuse it.

Moore says the fish measured in at a whopping length of 8 feet 2 inches and girth of 48 inches, putting it comfortably over 300 pounds. The catch might've been big enough to break the official state record of 302 pounds, set in 1953 — but it won't qualify.

To earn a state record, a catch must be weighed on a state-certified scale. This process can be stressful for large fish and potentially even kill them, says Dr. Solomon David, an aquatic ecologist at Nicholls State University.  Instead of taking the risk, Moore released it back into the bayou. "My hat's off to Payton for releasing the fish," David said.

Moore and David estimate the gar could've been between 50 to 100 years old. "The fish literally could have been swimming around in Texas waters when Truman was president," Moore said.

The world record for the largest alligator gar ever caught is 8 feet 5 inches and 327 pounds. Researchers estimate that fish was 95 years old.

Baby Hat GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/trending/article/alligator-gar-bayou-catch-17162146.php
Payton Moore dreams of giant fish. The Sugar Land resident set sail down a Houston bayou Thursday, determined to catch one of the largest alligator gars Texas has potentially ever seen.
Unofficially, he did just that, angling a humongous alligator gar more than 8 feet long and weighing upwards of 300 pounds.

Moore, 32, declined to disclose the name of the bayou for the gargantuan fish's protection, but the full-time YouTuber captured the catch on video and posted it to his channel.
When Moore first placed his reel, he thought he may have snagged a tree branch. He couldn't move the other end of his line.
The moment the fish started moving, Moore could tell he'd found a giant. "It felt like somebody's car had just started up and was rolling out of the driveway, and I'm hanging on to the end of it," 
Since the fish was too powerful to reel in while at full strength, he first had to exhaust it. He strategically made it swim in circles and constantly changed its direction to confuse it.
Moore says the fish measured in at a whopping length of 8 feet 2 inches and girth of 48 inches, putting it comfortably over 300 pounds. The catch might've been big enough to break the official state record of 302 pounds, set in 1953 — but it won't qualify.
To earn a state record, a catch must be weighed on a state-certified scale. This process can be stressful for large fish and potentially even kill them, says Dr. Solomon David, an aquatic ecologist at Nicholls State University.  Instead of taking the risk, Moore released it back into the bayou. "My hat's off to Payton for releasing the fish," David said.
Moore and David estimate the gar could've been between 50 to 100 years old. "The fish literally could have been swimming around in Texas waters when Truman was president," Moore said.
The world record for the largest alligator gar ever caught is 8 feet 5 inches and 327 pounds. Researchers estimate that fish was 95 years old.
200.gif

I love everything about this. I love that fish like this are out there. I love that this guy is dedicated to his pursuit. I love that he fully appreciated what an amazing creature he encountered. And I love that he released it. Just awesome all the way around.
  • Hook 'Em 4

200.gif

I love everything about this. I love that fish like this are out there. I love that this guy is dedicated to his pursuit. I love that he fully appreciated what an amazing creature he encountered. And I love that he released it. Just awesome all the way around.

I had to go back and look but I had watched a few of his videos a month or so back. He catches a lot of big fish around Houston. A lot of stealthy urban fishing in nauseous where you wouldn’t expect to find fish like that

2 hours ago, davidg said:

I had to go back and look but I had watched a few of his videos a month or so back. He catches a lot of big fish around Houston. A lot of stealthy urban fishing in nauseous where you wouldn’t expect to find fish like that

I'd rather fish for a month straight without a bite than most places in Houston.  But it's cool he's identified some spots.  Kind of like the guy that kills a 170 in a close to town patch, that pops up about once every year or two.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I'd rather fish for a month straight without a bite than most places in Houston.  But it's cool he's identified some spots.  Kind of like the guy that kills a 170 in a close to town patch, that pops up about once every year or two.  

Stay off the hike & bike behind my house, bro. 

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 6:58 PM, markstanco said:

So two weeks ago my 13 year old finally took me up on fishing. (To be honest a friend was over and he wanted to fish). My eyes lit up. I ran to academy and bought 4 closed faced combos for them and a few lures/worms/etc (my stuff is at the lake) and started teaching. We have a small pond in the hood but weren’t having the best of luck.

Today he and the same buddy went to the other side and caught a decent fish! 94ef4b4a542bfbc3a70f2cf52b698e83.jpg

Oh and that is two spools of 20 pound Big Game on his head, you know, just in case.

Start off fishing and catch a perch. Put the perch on a circle hook with a slip sinker and cast it back out. This works on almost any golf course pond with bass. You’ll catch some large fish.

• Like 1

Don’t think I posted this. Last fish of the season. Trolling our way in after quite a few sails. We have maybe 20 minutes left until we have to pick up and run to our slip so in that situation I always throw our marlin pitch bait in the middle of the spread for an extra teaser.

about 5 minutes before we head home our right teaser gets crashed and I see it at the same time one of the mates does. It’s obviously a marlin but I go pick up our light tackle pitch forgetting the marlin pitch is already there. After 5 or so seconds of confusion i manage to hand him the 20 and reel the 50 near the teaser and hook up. Beer may have been involved at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2

Missing 2 Tico mates from our team but this is my main guys that have fished with me forever. Captain, 2 mates, me, and then my girlfriend who sleeps while we fish and dad who wasn’t there. 

7E1C4F7F-4549-4CEE-8B48-17E6885EC171.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
Other gringo is our angler. We hook the fish and hand them off to him, and he won top angler. You can’t always do that but it takes a team……
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

one time i found myself trout fishing under a bridge in the dead of winter in colorado. it was probably in the teens. it dawned on me that there is basically only two paths in life that lead to that situation, both of which include addiction. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Start off fishing and catch a perch. Put the perch on a circle hook with a slip sinker and cast it back out. This works on almost any golf course pond with bass. You’ll catch some large fish.

Ive done that a few times in the past, but I did it with a Carolina rig setup.  You are correct, it is awesome.  

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

one time i found myself trout fishing under a bridge in the dead of winter in colorado. it was probably in the teens. it dawned on me that there is basically only two paths in life that lead to that situation, both of which include addiction. 

Well....Did you catch anything?

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Did $16,5 even pay for your fuel for the trip…?  🙂

Ha. We averaged just over 200 gallons per day. Gave half the money to my crew so I still made a few bucks. But not enough for the trip - I was there almost 3 months and we fished a lot.  I think it was about 25 days of fishing.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Any bay guide recommendations for Port A this June? Taking some olds from out of town and I don't want to haul my boat down from POC for one day.

Josh Garcia https://tejascharters.wixsite.com/tejascharters. Longhorn, great fisherman and fun guy. I’ve sent a bunch of people from here with him and I’ve gotten nothing but good feedback.

Any recs for a guide/outfitter in Jackson, WY?  I want to take my two boys (11 & 9) on a half day trip so the can try fly fishing.  They’re both great with a spinning rod, but fly will be a new thing for them.  Would prefer to wade/walk versus float.  TIA.

18 minutes ago, tequila said:

Any recs for a guide/outfitter in Jackson, WY?  I want to take my two boys (11 & 9) on a half day trip so the can try fly fishing.  They’re both great with a spinning rod, but fly will be a new thing for them.  Would prefer to wade/walk versus float.  TIA.

The Gros Ventre is a nice stream, but it will be super cold this time of year. Shit, it's pretty cold in August.

Half day ain't much time. Good luck and hope you get on them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The Gros Ventre is a nice stream, but it will be super cold this time of year. Shit, it's pretty cold in August.

Half day ain't much time. Good luck and hope you get on them.

Also going to be in Telluride for a few days.  Probably better prospects there?