Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I get and understand the stigma. But the few mins out of water for a pic isn't going to do any more harm on the fish than the 30-50 mins of the fish fighting for it's life.

my understanding is it isn't the time out of the water (although they are most certainly near total exhaustion after the fight and it certainly doesn't help they can't breathe), it's that their bodies can't support their weight and pulling them out of the water causes their spine to compress/break.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

pulling it out of the water for the hero shot is pretty fucking bush league...then just dumping it without trying to revive it? meh.

but yeah, apparently colombia is home to the biggest fish. peep this guy on instagram. 56 pound snook? 80 pound dorado? hot damn.

Definitely flinched watching them boat the fish. Plus, the guy complains about the excruciating pain in his back, but then leans over and singlehandedly tries to bulldog a 200-plus-pound tarpon on board. Does not compute.

Anyway, I just posted it cuz I had no idea Atlantic tarpon were migrating through the canal. Landing one (anywhere) is a bucket list item.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

hadn't thought of that. makes sense.

Even in the best circumstances when the fish is properly fought/handled/released I wonder what the survival rates are in a place like the Keys where the shark population has exploded.

i guess it’s all relative and at some point we all have a bit of blood on our hands. But yeah that video gave me a cringe boner.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Definitely flinched watching them boat the fish. Plus, the guy complains about the excruciating pain in his back, but then leans over and singlehandedly tries to bulldog a 200-plus-pound tarpon on board. Does not compute.

Anyway, I just posted it cuz I had no idea Atlantic tarpon were migrating through the canal. Landing one (anywhere) is a bucket list item.

I also have back problems, and had to get a reluctant 125 lb. lab in the car today for a vet visit as my parents are no longer capable of picking  her up.    So this hits close to home.

• Haha 1

@troph I have a great referral for fly fishing out of Tavernier if you still need it.  Small skiff, though.  No more than two anglers.

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt you're spot on regarding sharks.  I was fishing Florida Bay in 2018 with my wife.  She caught a nice little mangrove snapper.  She went to pull it into the boat, and our guide reached over to help her.  Just as she swung her line over the hull, a 6' bull shark crested the water and went after the fish.  Our very experienced guide 'bout shit himself.  To the point he had to sit down for a second.  He said the sharks have started to learn that boat = easy pickins.  Not surprising at all to see them near anglers, and you bring up a good point about fish that are released.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

my understanding is it isn't the time out of the water (although they are most certainly near total exhaustion after the fight and it certainly doesn't help they can't breathe), it's that their bodies can't support their weight and pulling them out of the water causes their spine to compress/break.

Their jaws are also susceptible to being permanently damaged. I don’t even lift small ones out of the water. The faster you can get a tarpon in and off the hook, the better chance of the fish surviving. Have not had any shark issues in the backwaters I fish in, but I do see dolphins becoming a bigger problem where I fish. Trout/snook, they will come out of nowhere after them.

21 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

@troph I have a great referral for fly fishing out of Tavernier if you still need it.  Small skiff, though.  No more than two anglers.

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

nice! Who with? 

Guy name Hlis with Bud’s and Mary’s. Also small boat only 2 of us allowed.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Their jaws are also susceptible to being permanently damaged. I don’t even lift small ones out of the water. The faster you can get a tarpon in and off the hook, the better chance of the fish surviving.

You mean running your arm up to the bicep through its gills and dragging it over the gunnel isn’t good for it? 

3 hours ago, Brew said:

I’m sure I’m in the minority out there, but that’s such a waste. There is absolutely nothing you can do with that fish.

Anglers harvesting tarpon should be required to eat it. Won't bring the tarpon back, but doubtful they'd ever intentionally kill one again.

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Anglers harvesting tarpon should be required to eat it. Won't bring the tarpon back, but doubtful they'd ever intentionally kill one again.

I'm not sure I've seen any modern tarpon kill pics that weren't records or really really close to being a record.  That community seems to rival BASS on their catch and release.  Most people get roasted for out of the water pics, even.   When my dad was a kid, they used to take a scale off the big ones and release them.  I'm sure that's not great either, and surely no longer practiced. 

Strange summer so far here in Idaho. Temps are high and waters are low.

Trout weren't too active yesterday, but the smallies sure were. Best of the day (darker one below) was nearly 18 inches. Sure wish I could land one of those 20-plus-inchers, but they always seem to throw me.

20210701_122409_Sharped.jpg

20210701_123726_ Sharped.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'll start by saying I'm not a big fisherman and haven't read more than the current page so if the answer to my question is located elsewhere please direct me.

My 18 YO son has gotten into fishing and I'd like to take him on a trip for a couple of days in mid-August.  He seems most interested in bass fishing and has mentioned Lake Amistad. 

We're in DFW but I'm willing to travel but don't want to take 2 days to get to a place for a 2 day fishing trip.

I thought he might be interested in some offshore fishing (Texas or Florida) but he seems hung on lake bass fishing.  I think he has watched too many youtube videos of bass fishing. ha ha 

Should I try to talk him into offshore or should I just focus on finding the right lake and a good bass guide somewhere?  Amistad seems hard to get to plus I'm guessing it's balls hot there (like most of Texas) in August.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc.

5 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I'll start by saying I'm not a big fisherman and haven't read more than the current page so if the answer to my question is located elsewhere please direct me.

My 18 YO son has gotten into fishing and I'd like to take him on a trip for a couple of days in mid-August.  He seems most interested in bass fishing and has mentioned Lake Amistad. 

We're in DFW but I'm willing to travel but don't want to take 2 days to get to a place for a 2 day fishing trip.

I thought he might be interested in some offshore fishing (Texas or Florida) but he seems hung on lake bass fishing.  I think he has watched too many youtube videos of bass fishing. ha ha 

Should I try to talk him into offshore or should I just focus on finding the right lake and a good bass guide somewhere?  Amistad seems hard to get to plus I'm guessing it's balls hot there (like most of Texas) in August.

There's tons of great bass fishing lakes much closer to Dallas.  I don't have any recommendations, but check out Fork, Ray Roberts, Texoma, Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend.  Should be plenty of guides to choose from on any of those lakes if you want to give it a shot before embarking on an overnight trip.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm far from an expert on bass or other freshwater fishing, but if it were me I'd be trying like hell to get out of the heat in August. Maybe a lake in New Mexico or Colorado for Smallies and lake trout? Like Navajo lake or Navajo reservoir on the NM-CO border?  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, orange dream said:

There are plenty of bass lakes in a little cooler locales I would think. Bass master does a top 100 bass lakes and would be a good place to start. 

Going forward I would avoid offshore and look at inshore fishing options for reds, trout, snook, etc. if you want to try salt. They will be much closer to what he thinks he likes. I grew up a lake guy and don’t have any interest in going offshore although I still do it occasionally. Sight casting big fish in shallow water is much more my speed than bumping the bottom with cut bait.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Sight casting big fish in shallow water is much more my speed than bumping the bottom with cut bait.

I agree, but any of the offshore pelagic species are a thrill. 

Get him on a lake next March and let him flip during the spawn.  Wx will be nice and you’ll crush the bass 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I agree, but any of the offshore pelagic species are a thrill. 

Get him on a lake next March and let him flip during the spawn.  Wx will be nice and you’ll crush the bass 

Agreed, no Pelagics near me so it just hasn’t been something I’ve chased.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, orange dream said:

Lake Fork, you are an hour away. A good guide will put him on a 10+ pounder. More big bass have come out of that lake than any other in Texas.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:47 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Strange summer so far here in Idaho. Temps are high and waters are low.

Trout weren't too active yesterday, but the smallies sure were. Best of the day (darker one below) was nearly 18 inches. Sure wish I could land one of those 20-plus-inchers, but they always seem to throw me.

20210701_122409_Sharped.jpg

20210701_123726_ Sharped.jpg

Beautiful smallies! Were you fly fishing? What kind of fly/lure, structure, current, etc...?

6 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Beautiful smallies! Were you fly fishing? What kind of fly/lure, structure, current, etc...?

Thanks. The smallies were bycatch; I was strip-streaming polar minnows and drifting leeches, worms and nymphs for trout, but they weren't doing much, so smallmouth it was.

I don't know enough hydrology to explain this well: most of the bass have been confined to submerged bars directly downstream of a point bar. I think they are formed when the river is running much higher, and more water is cutting down the inside of a bend. When levels drop, an inside trough remains, and a spit or submerged bar separates it from the main channel. There will also be a fair amount of debris deposited on the bar.

Because the water in this inside trough isn't circulated as well as the main channel, it tends to be warmer. Bass love it there. So do carp, which led to a weird situation in which I was casting over lazy, slow-moving carp in the trough to reach the smallies lurking over the submerged bar. Beyond that--where the water is cooler and closer to the main channel--is where the trout are usually hiding.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:31 PM, 4th and 5 said:

My boy and I fished the South Padre jetties this morning..

We caught a snook, a tarpon, a bull red and 4 slot reds.

Then we ran the beachfront north looking for more tarpon.

We stopped at a spot about a half mile offshore in 20 feet of water and caught a limit of snapper.

we continued north and about 3 miles short of Port Mansfield found tons of birds working and the beachfront all stirred up. We trolled live mullet for big tarpon, which we could see surfacing frequently but could not hook up. We did catch a 100 pound blacktip.

We ran thru the Port Mansfield jetties and ran back to SPI via the bay in about a foot of water or less to avoid the chop in the surf. 

Guided trip or just giving your own master class on how to have a badass day fishing?