Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Drought over bitches… 4 for 4 and all big ones. This girl was a fun one! Best pic of her…

2F3A7193-53FF-4974-A10F-AE7337AE1309.jpeg

my 12year old struggled but said he liked it and wanted to come back… here on a drift that was criminal no bites it was so good.

BB9FCB08-CED2-4552-AC10-29423A0B8EA4.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Had a moment with the TV on, found A River Runs Through It. I prefer the book to the movie, but not by much.

In any case, every time I either read or watch, I get to the end, with maybe the most beautiful prose in American literature. It’s staggering, every time. Figure the fishermen around here will appreciate it again.

“Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

“Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t. Like many fly fisherman in western Montana, where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am haunted by waters.”

Goddamn.

• Hook 'Em 7

Hell yeah that’s it.

I was just having a moment - a future one near my death - telling my sons to chase the moments and to remember times when they first were learning with me, and to share the same with theirs. I can’t explain what happens with that fly rod in my hand but it’s as spiritual as any god-moment I’ve ever had and I chased the good Lord as relentlessly as I’ve chased the fish. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Though @Brisketexan my intellectual OCD requires I disclose I’d argue Annie Dillard - Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and the transcendentalists before her might be the best nature writing this country has ever seen and frankly her book is a must for any angler that experiences more than “fish on” when wading a river with the fly rod in his or her hand.  Her mind is the most beautiful I’ve ever experienced. 

• Like 1

https://www.landwatch.com/costilla-county-colorado-farms-and-ranches-for-sale/pid/332287208

this would be awesome to plant an rv and never come back.  A very poor part of the state, my ex FIL lived on the other side of the sangres and it was poor too. Still fishing the RG there… I’d love to be there. Fuck this life.

0066140D-8FE1-43CC-940A-6DDFC0D228A4.jpeg

C317F175-E814-4449-97B4-3AB3D23FD5F7.jpeg

5426BBA6-2377-4D9E-BE2A-4D809252A57B.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

how much is in the wreath fund?

it'll only take 1-2 guys/families that are serious and I'm no longer "just passing time".  while that area is a shithole it's 1 hour from Taos and it's the mother fucking rio grande with a gorge there to own. 2 bedroom old timey off the grid log cabin and holy shit I'll find god again. could probably make some cash on guided tours and hunting leases if that's allowed up there.  the smaller acrage has a rifle hunting permit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Really? They told me these yellowtail are good. Grilled up a filet tonight and it was damn good. Not the greatest but made for some great tacos

Looks an awful lot like a jack crevalle but maybe it’s not. Those things are close to inedible. It’s definitely not a yellowtail, which are really good to eat, but something may be getting lost in the translation. Or, you’ve got Covid and just can’t taste anything.

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Looks an awful lot like a jack crevalle but maybe it’s not. Those things are close to inedible. It’s definitely not a yellowtail, which are really good to eat, but something may be getting lost in the translation. Or, you’ve got Covid and just can’t taste anything.

Looks more like an Amberjack to me. JCs have that bright yellow belly and anal fin. AJs are great eating fish. 

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are there JCs with heads shaped like that? All the ones I’ve ever caught had that pronounced rounded off face.

same.  if an AJ then that would explain the ok eating - not great like YT eating but not JC bad.

It's definitely not a horse eyed. I've caught plenty of them down here. I've fished like 6 times with Tino. He knows the fishery. He's been fishing here for 40 years. If he tells me to eat it ; I'm eating it.
I think it's more than of a miscommunication because I know hook knows his fish . All good. Any day fishing is better than a day not fishing

• Hook 'Em 2

Cool story time - we’ve got the world record horse eye jack - https://igfa.org/igfa-world-records-search/?search_type=AnglerNameDetail&search_term_1=135678. Caught it on one of the Baker rigs. Not exactly a record I would ever shoot for but still cool.

edit - that was back when we were running a few charters out of Port A. Our client caught it.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 4

Crushed them today. 3 blue marlin, 15 sails and all the dorado you can eat. 
Also I still don’t know what that fish is. It’s not an amberjack unless they are growing them funny down in Belize.
I’ll try showing it to my captain and see what he says.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 3

I’m going to start fly fishing (again) this year and wanted to get y’all’s opinion on some solid gear for mostly trout. 

I did some backpacking back in the day and had a cheap bass pro backpacking rod but like to get something nicer.

Heres what I’m thinking so far:

-freshwater fishing

-6 wt rod?

- orvis clear water?

Any suggestions on local companies or am I heading in the right direction? Also, is YouTube a great place to learn or lessons etc?

Freshwater trout I think I'd go 5wt, but some of the trout bums might disagree.

I bought my son a 9wt Orvis Recon and Hydros 5 for Christmas. It's a saltwater rig, but he cast the Clearwater first and much preferred the Recon. For a trout rod, spend a little more on the rod and save on the reel. 

One or two professional lessons will save you literally years of learning on your own. That said, the Lefty Kreh beginners videos are great and probably on YouTube. Orvis has some good casting videos on their website as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, cknight said:

I’m going to start fly fishing (again) this year and wanted to get y’all’s opinion on some solid gear for mostly trout. 

I did some backpacking back in the day and had a cheap bass pro backpacking rod but like to get something nicer.

Heres what I’m thinking so far:

-freshwater fishing

-6 wt rod?

- orvis clear water?

Any suggestions on local companies or am I heading in the right direction? Also, is YouTube a great place to learn or lessons etc?

My pick has been a Hardy shadow 5 wt for a high quality mid range rod. If you want to step your game up, I have a Douglas sky G that’s been quite nice as well. 

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2020-five-weight-shootout/

some solid reviews up above - it’s tough to find fly rod reviews without an angle these days. 

I went with a Galvan torque for my reel - frankly if you’re not going to get into some big fish it’s not going to matter much what your reel and drag are like, because they won’t pull on it. 

that’s been my experience I’m sure there’s others who can tell me I’m wrong. But I don’t think you could go wrong with the equipment above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

TFO is worth a look too.  They aren't in the same class as some of the high dollar rods, but I feel like they punch above their weight for the price for sure.

https://tforods.com/fly-fishing/

Love TFO rods and between the boy and I we own 6. Their reels are trash though. If you go TFO, plan to look elsewhere for reels. Orvis makes nice reels at every price point and are pretty hard to beat in the beginner/budget lines like the Clearwater. Redington makes nice budget reels (and rods), too. 

42 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Love TFO rods and between the boy and I we own 6. Their reels are trash though. If you go TFO, plan to look elsewhere for reels. Orvis makes nice reels at every price point and are pretty hard to beat in the beginner/budget lines like the Clearwater. Redington makes nice budget reels (and rods), too. 

Yea, I think I have a Lamson reel on my 5 wt TFO.  I've got a 7wt TFO rod and reel for bass fishing and it's fine for what I'm trying to do with it.  I don't think I'd take it to go catch reds though.

I have a TFO rod and a reddington reel 5/6wt and it's been really fun to fish with.  I use it more so far than my 8wt and 12wt much nicer set ups and don't foresee upgrading it anytime soon.  in the whole set up for probably $500-600 total.  that was 3 years ago and the TFO was on sale.

so almost 2 years ago, my son caught a red fish, we had to use a tag too, he had a heck of a time getting it in, I posted about it. guide said let's get it taxidermied and he said he knew just the guy.  well I finally got it from him, and disregarding the failure to do both sides and mount so it could sit on a table (and I paid for that too), the quality is crap.  the entire mouth, teeth, inside and out is white. the belly is bright white, just a bad job. my son won't know the difference but I'm still mad. I won't make this mistake again. 

who do I go to for trophy fish and mounts?

TIA

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, troph said:

so almost 2 years ago, my son caught this red fish, we had to use a tag too, he had a heck of a time getting it in, I posted about it. guide said let's get it taxidermied and he said he knew just the guy.  well I finally got it from him, and disregarding the failure to do both sides and mount so it could sit on a table (and I paid for that too), the quality is crap.  the entire mouth, teeth, inside and out is white. the belly is bright white, just a bad job. my son won't know the difference but I'm still mad. I won't make this mistake again. 

who do I go to for trophy fish and mounts?

TIA

I’ve used New Wave Taxidermy out of Florida for a bass mount for my son. They did a superb job. They do all fiberglass replica mounts, so if you can supply a picture and measurements they can get it pretty close. I’ve been thinking about having a mount of my first Permit done, and I’ll use them if I do. Not cheap, but I think the quality is worth it. 

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I’ve used New Wave Taxidermy out of Florida for a bass mount for my son. They did a superb job. They do all fiberglass replica mounts, so if you can supply a picture and measurements they can get it pretty close. I’ve been thinking about having a mount of my first Permit done, and I’ll use them if I do. Not cheap, but I think the quality is worth it. 

ooooh, I could have a redo for him.  I was going to post a pic but the only pic that makes sense is the one where he's barely holding it up by the tail and he's got this look of hilarious shock on his face, as if he realized how amazing fishing can be for 30 seconds out of a few hours at a time, and realizing that's why it's so addictive. 

My mental health has taken a real beating this winter and that’s for another thread (or not). Tonight we fight back. Fishing alone tomorrow just me and my thoughts, Guad might only be a poor facsimile of Colorado trout fishing but it’s what we got. I’m prepping lines tonight, single malt and the venerable singer song writer Brandi Carlisle on the head phones. 

8E40F2B3-CFE9-46C3-8959-9E03A8C03758.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

24-25 knots later, I got me 6 set ups. first blood knot ever too.  I like it better than the surgeon's knot for joining two lines I think. yeah, I get a kick out of this shit.  thing is, it makes you practice your patience and breathing.  that's kind of a life skill. troph is meta tonight. tomorrow we ride.

• Hook 'Em 3