Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

3 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Not odd. Blood results came back from the lab.

May have been an arrest warrant based on them, or a capias on an indictment. I’d bet on the former but the latter is possible.

Does it typically take that long?  I always figured if I got drunk and killed someone in my truck, I wouldn’t be sleeping at home for awhile (starting that night). Never in a million years would have guessed it just hang out there for half a year.  Either way I hope the families can find peace. 

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Does it typically take that long?  I always figured if I got drunk and killed someone in my truck, I wouldn’t be sleeping at home for awhile (starting that night). Never in a million years would have guessed it just hang out there for half a year.  Either way I hope the families can find peace. 

It can, particularly in the case of an accident where the driver is injured. Also it is more likely in a case where there is a boating accident. There may not be standardized field sobriety test administered in that type of a situation. There may be a medical blood draw which is subpoenaed by the investigating officer or the prosecutor. Or there may be a legal blood draw and it takes quite some time for the results to be returned, as there are many legal blood draws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:45 PM, 4th and 5 said:

It can, particularly in the case of an accident where the driver is injured. Also it is more likely in a case where there is a boating accident. There may not be standardized field sobriety test administered in that type of a situation. There may be a medical blood draw which is subpoenaed by the investigating officer or the prosecutor. Or there may be a legal blood draw and it takes quite some time for the results to be returned, as there are many legal blood draws. 

What I’ve heard is a blood draw was done some time after the incident at the hospital.  Not sure if the guy was injured. Due to the length of time, they had to extrapolate his BAC at time of accident. 

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Anyone seeing any fish kill pictures from the coast? Ben Paschal posted some from the Arroyo yesterday. Mostly mullet, but some trout up to 25"-26". I guess it will be a week or so before any trout that died deep will wash up. 

Saw a bunch from Rockport area.  Will try and post via tapa.  Can't confirm validity as they were screen capped and sent to me.  It wasn't good. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:35 PM, Dry Elbows said:

What I’ve heard is a blood draw was done some time after the incident at the hospital.  Not sure if the guy was injured. Due to the length of time, they had to extrapolate his BAC at time of accident. 

In thses types of cases, blood draws will always be well after the time of driving. In this case there is a boating accident a distance from a hospital so far more delay than a traffic stop in an urban area. There will be lots of issues there. What kind of draws. Legal blood draws or medical blood draws are not the same. Time of draw. Was there both? BAC. Extrapolation factors, if known. Medical treatment prior to draw. Warrant issues, if no consent. 

43 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

In thses types of cases, blood draws will always be well after the time of driving. In this case there is a boating accident a distance from a hospital so far more delay than a traffic stop in an urban area. There will be lots of issues there. What kind of draws. Legal blood draws or medical blood draws are not the same. Time of draw. Was there both? BAC. Extrapolation factors, if known. Medical treatment prior to draw. Warrant issues, if no consent. 

I don't know the answers to your questions.  I've heard from people that saw/talked to him earlier in the evening that he was pretty liquored up.  

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

pretty big fish kill.

I see a lot of people already talking about not keeping fish next year.   I typically don’t keep more than 2-3 trout anyhow, but may take that down to throwing them all back and make a more concerted effort to hammer snapper season.  Or maybe take the topwater off for a minute and get back to messing with flounder.  It’s nature and all but that shit depresses me.  The fish are under more pressure than ever recreationally, now a couple solid kills over the last 5 years.   Ugh. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I see a lot of people already talking about not keeping fish next year.   I typically don’t keep more than 2-3 trout anyhow, but may take that down to throwing them all back and make a more concerted effort to hammer snapper season.  Or maybe take the topwater off for a minute and get back to messing with flounder.  It’s nature and all but that shit depresses me.  The fish are under more pressure than ever recreationally, now a couple solid kills over the last 5 years.   Ugh. 

Yeah, my daughter is pretty bent outta shape about it. She sent some of her spending money to Sea Center Texas already, and plans to only catch and release this year.

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

At the very least TPWD needs to ban croaker for 2021-22. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

Can you explain the rationale behind this?  Just pretend I am aggy and take it real slow.

Sure.

Croker as a baitfish are like meth to Speckled Trout. They literally can't refuse them. As such, they've become very popular bait in Texas the last 15 years or so. The biggest problem with them is the technique used is to basically let them swallow the bait before setting the hook which leads to almost all of them being gut hooked, unless you fish with a circle hook. (most don't). Also, and this is just personal observation...I don't really have any stats to back it up...but live bait fisherman are much, much more likely to keep every legal fish they catch and not practice catch & release. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, makes sense.  Always going to be those that take it to the limit because they can (legally), but I would hope that as sportsmen there can be an understanding that we need to let the fisheries recover and take proactive steps to do so. Even when not required to do so via law/edict/etc.

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

At the very least TPWD needs to ban croaker for 2021-22. forever.

There.  That's better.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Can you explain the rationale behind this?  Just pretend I am aggy and take it real slow.

What @Pescado_Rojo explained is not even the worst of it, imo.  "Croaker Guides" come out of the woodwork during croaker season.  Basically any plant worker with a 6 pack license and some time off become guides because it is easy af fishing.  Ok, some extra pressure and income, whatever.  No.  The problem lies that you can pretty easily a limit in a few hours.  So running 2-3 trips a day is not uncommon.   It's also bait fishing so you can fish 4-5 people easily.  One guide can be responsible for hundreds of fish removed in a day.  And now you have 20 extra guides that only do it during croaker season.   It's a drain on the resources like no other.  An absolute slaughter on trout, specifically.    Then, on top of that, the bay shrimpers are the ones that provide the croaker.  Bay shrimping is tremendously terrible for our bay system.  They should have outlawed it 20 years ago when it took off, god knows how much better our trout population would be. 

1 hour ago, DCA_HORN said:

It's the corn feeder of the fishing world. Good for a meat haul but not the most sporting.

I'd say closer to the Q beam on a country road.   At least the feeder is doing something to provide feed during the winter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

@fattyflattie that's fucked up shit man.  terrible.  and btw, it takes a ton of convincing to have a guide agree to catch and release.  they look at you like, wtf you don't like fish?  no, I like catching them over and over.  and I've made mistakes using the wrong hooks, lures trying to learn but the thing I love about fly fishing is how easy it is to keep the fish from being too injured and want the same on the reds/trout in the bay.  I'd have to go back and think but I think we use circle hooks with our last few guides - they've been highly recommended by serious anglers (including some of y'all).

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Sure.

Croker as a baitfish are like meth to Speckled Trout. They literally can't refuse them. As such, they've become very popular bait in Texas the last 15 years or so. The biggest problem with them is the technique used is to basically let them swallow the bait before setting the hook which leads to almost all of them being gut hooked, unless you fish with a circle hook. (most don't). Also, and this is just personal observation...I don't really have any stats to back it up...but live bait fisherman are much, much more likely to keep every legal fish they catch and not practice catch & release. 

I’ve caught a lot of nice Specks on meth.

Just to be fair.

Getting it on the hook is a bitch though.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, troph said:

@fattyflattie that's fucked up shit man.  terrible.  and btw, it takes a ton of convincing to have a guide agree to catch and release.  they look at you like, wtf you don't like fish?  no, I like catching them over and over.  and I've made mistakes using the wrong hooks, lures trying to learn but the thing I love about fly fishing is how easy it is to keep the fish from being too injured and want the same on the reds/trout in the bay.  I'd have to go back and think but I think we use circle hooks with our last few guides - they've been highly recommended by serious anglers (including some of y'all).

I was on a corporate event trip in Louisiana once, and I unhooked and released a redfish and I thought that coon ass was going to throw me out of the boat. It's all about the hero pics of piles of fish at the dock for those guys. The kind of person that wants to come home with 20 lbs of filets doesn't care if the guide is a good steward of the resource. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I was on a corporate event trip in Louisiana once, and I unhooked and released a redfish and I thought that coon ass was going to throw me out of the boat. It's all about the hero pics of piles of fish at the dock for those guys. The kind of person that wants to come home with 20 lbs of filets doesn't care if the guide is a good steward of the resource. 

that's good to know.  I mean I like eating them but truth is we only need two small trout and one smaller redfish and we're good for eating.  the rest need to go back.  based on your comment I'm going to be more adamant.  I'll even say if you want a solid review, help us conserve.

Just now, troph said:

that's good to know.  I mean I like eating them but truth is we only need two small trout and one smaller redfish and we're good for eating.  the rest need to go back.  based on your comment I'm going to be more adamant.  I'll even say if you want a solid review, help us conserve.

If I'm looking for a guide for myself, I'll talk with them about it before we go. (If I'm looking for a guide it's 99.9% a fly guide, and I've yet to meet one that doesn't release all their fish. Finding a fly guide that keeps fish is more the exception than the rule. (I do know one in S. Texas, but I can't recommend him for other reasons)

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If I'm looking for a guide for myself, I'll talk with them about it before we go. (If I'm looking for a guide it's 99.9% a fly guide, and I've yet to meet one that doesn't release all their fish. Finding a fly guide that keeps fish is more the exception than the rule. (I do know one in S. Texas, but I can't recommend him for other reasons)

well that's the next step right?  I mean I can catch a rainbow now on my own with no help, seems only natural to catch sea trout the same way.  and I hear redfish on a fly line is about as good as it gets.  I can completely see why fly guides catch and release.  the respect for the fish and the dance really it just naturally requires it almost.

speaking of, I need to stop my yacht gawking and get back to that kayak search...

good pointers.

Edited by troph

There’s several out there that don’t keep. Hell Cochran gives you a $50 off if you don’t, or charges $50 more if you do, I guess.  But he’s pretty specific on what you’re catching (not meat haul). I haven’t fished with too many guides (1 chartered myself? 5-7 thru work maybe) but there’s definitely those that care about the hero pics. And yeah, a solid convo with them first highly recommended.   Wish our resource was treated like the bass guys.  They did a jam up job for decades now. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

There’s several out there that don’t keep. Hell Cochran gives you a $50 off if you don’t, or charges $50 more if you do, I guess.  But he’s pretty specific on what you’re catching (not meat haul). I haven’t fished with too many guides (1 chartered myself? 5-7 thru work maybe) but there’s definitely those that care about the hero pics. And yeah, a solid convo with them first highly recommended.   Wish our resource was treated like the bass guys.  They did a jam up job for decades now. 

I think it ends up happening when the fish start to really disappear. could be wrong though.  next time we go I'll find a fly guide, that's more fun anyway.

Edited by troph

Can somebody explain slot limits to me like I’m 10?  It doesn’t make sense to me.  It would seem that we  are protecting the senior citizen fish and sacrificing the teenagers, which if population growth is the goal would seem like a bad move.  The last time I went coastal fishing (not in TX) we probably caught 50 redfish between 6 of us and we didn’t have a single one small enough to keep.  It was fun, and I’m not complaining, but I don’t really understand the logic.  I don’t want to keep them all, but 1 or 2 for dinner would be nice.

12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Can somebody explain slot limits to me like I’m 10?  It doesn’t make sense to me.  It would seem that we  are protecting the senior citizen fish and sacrificing the teenagers, which if population growth is the goal would seem like a bad move.  The last time I went coastal fishing (not in TX) we probably caught 50 redfish between 6 of us and we didn’t have a single one small enough to keep.  It was fun, and I’m not complaining, but I don’t really understand the logic.  I don’t want to keep them all, but 1 or 2 for dinner would be nice.

Under sized reds are the juveniles, they are protected like the teenagers that will eat anything in sight after football practice. Slot reds are the unattached 20-somethings that are career oriented and haven't thought about settling down, and breed like Incels. Bulls (over 28") is your breeding stock. You are basically taking out the cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Under sized reds are the juveniles, they are protected like the teenagers that will eat anything in sight after football practice. Slot reds are the unattached 20-somethings that are career oriented and haven't thought about settling down, and breed like Incels. Bulls (over 28") is your breeding stock. You are basically taking out the cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
CHIEF
Also the ones over the slot limit are a lot tougher and good luck cleaning them.

7 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
18 minutes ago, CHIEF said:
CHIEF

Also the ones over the slot limit are a lot tougher and good luck cleaning them.

Bingo. Lotta red meat to throw out. Scales like a gar.

CHIEF

8 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
19 minutes ago, CHIEF said:
CHIEF

And if you're talking redfish, the big ones get wormy. 

42 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The last time I went coastal fishing (not in TX) we probably caught 50 redfish between 6 of us and we didn’t have a single one small enough to keep.

Was it by chance in the fall?  Surf fishing?  

The bays have been absolutely loaded with slot reds for the last several years.  To the point where there were discussions about taking them back to a limit of 5 (compared to 3 now).   The redfish have been an absolute success story for the gulf coast.  Hopefully we get there with trout in (most) of Texas with the limit of 5.  You could tell the difference immediately, imo.  

Also, at least speaking to trout, you are correct.  Thought was that saving the sows since they were the big breeders.  Turns out that isn't necessarily true.  I read something hypothesizing your solid 4# was more detrimental to remove than an 8# sow.  Number of eggs, years remaining to breed, all of it.    Old work acquaintance texted me two weeks ago and they had 3 man limits that averaged just over 4#.  Everything between 23 and 24.9" but goddamn, you just removed 15 of the best breeders in the bay.  Dipshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Was it by chance in the fall?  Surf fishing?  

The bays have been absolutely loaded with slot reds for the last several years.  To the point where there were discussions about taking them back to a limit of 5 (compared to 3 now).   The redfish have been an absolute success story for the gulf coast.  Hopefully we get there with trout in (most) of Texas with the limit of 5.  You could tell the difference immediately, imo.  

Also, at least speaking to trout, you are correct.  Thought was that saving the sows since they were the big breeders.  Turns out that isn't necessarily true.  I read something hypothesizing your solid 4# was more detrimental to remove than an 8# sow.  Number of eggs, years remaining to breed, all of it.    Old work acquaintance texted me two weeks ago and they had 3 man limits that averaged just over 4#.  Everything between 23 and 24.9" but goddamn, you just removed 15 of the best breeders in the bay.  Dipshit.  

This was in SC.  Late summer.  We went out and bottom bumped on an artificial reef a few miles offshore so we didn’t go home to the womenz empty handed.  Red after red after red, all huge.  Caught some other stuff as well, but mostly reds.  Until the last few years, I have not been a big saltwater fisherman.  These were some of the biggest fish I had ever caught at the time.  The guy who took us out had a captain’s license and was trying to get his charter business from a part time gig to a full time gig, so he was a stickler for the rules. He did tell me if that was not the case that he wouldn’t be opposed to keeping enough for dinner.  He thought their rules (more strict than TX) went a little overboard, but he wasn’t risking his business over it.  We took enough spade fish home to feed the crew.

I'm not familiar with SC, but along the TX coast, you'll find tons of bulls in the surf and offshore, especially in the fall.  That's when the "bull run" is.    They are in the bays too, but not near in the numbers.   That's why I was asking.   I'm also not familiar with SC's history with the red drum.  Here on the Gulf Coast, the coonasses almost sent them the way of the dodo. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm not familiar with SC, but along the TX coast, you'll find tons of bulls in the surf and offshore, especially in the fall.  That's when the "bull run" is.    They are in the bays too, but not near in the numbers.   That's why I was asking.   I'm also not familiar with SC's history with the red drum.  Here on the Gulf Coast, the coonasses almost sent them the way of the dodo. 

That makes sense with the coonasses.  Blackened redfish is yummy.  I honestly don’t know enough about it to have an opinion, but I have hung around enough people in SC to know that they all pretty much think what they are doing is somewhat of an overreaction, but that it’s better than an under reaction, so they’ll just roll with it for a while.  Last I checked, their limit was 2 slot per person, 6 per boat, and no one-time exemption for an over slot fish.  Fuck COVID if my info is out of date, it’s been a while since I’ve been there.

• Hook 'Em 1