Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 3/6/2021 at 11:52 AM, Brew said:

To be clear, I have no issues with those that keep and eat whenever they get around to it or that give to others. That was what I meant with take what you will use. If I can get a trip to Alaska, I’m going to freeze enough salmon to keep me going for a long while.

However, more often than not now when I’m at the docks, I see guys wasting whole fish, trimming the easy part of the filets and tossing the rest, trying to find guys in the parking lot to take their catch, etc. It’s even worse with duck hunters in our area. We used to own a convenience store near a major hunting area and they  would find bags of ducks stuffed in the garbage cans every weekend morning.

They will clean it, pack it and freeze it up for you.  Last time I went we came back with ~120# of salmon, halibut and rockfish per person.  Going again in August because we're out of fish.  And this time I'm going with my 14 year old so I get to keep all the fish, not just half (took my dad last time).

If I'm not fishing in Alaska, I almost always C&R as well.  

On 3/18/2021 at 3:21 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've had a good fish come off a fly, then "missed" the next two hook sets only to discover the first fish broke the hook on the fly. Talk about feeling like a dumbass. 

I learned to check that after breaking off more than one fly on a bush/tree on a back cast.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

UPDATE: we decided to stay. it's the good life, we'll give it a couple of years and see where the wind blows. renting the CO house for now.

Fuck you, then. I didn't wanna take you fishing, anyway.

Spoiler

Solo un chiste, cabron. Buenos viajes y buena suerte para ti y tu familia.

16 hours ago, troph said:

Prob conventional yeah? I just like the locally owned places.

No worries. I haven't been in Sportsman's in almost two years...it's just too far for me to get over there as much as I'd like, but from what I remember they don't stock much conventional gear and what they do have is pretty high end. Just suggesting you take a stroll through Dick's before you head over to Sportsman's and see the difference. For fly gear Sportsman's is absolutely the best in the area. I buy all my rods from them because I can cast them all out front in the pond, and they let me take a few out there at a time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok. Speaking of Sportsman’s Finest, about 10 years ago, I bought Joe Robinson’s manual “Piscatorial Absurdities” from them. I lent it to a buddy, moved up here, lost track of the dude, and want another copy. They don’t have it anymore and Ted, who championed the book, no longer works there.

So, long shot, does anyone here have a copy? If so, I’ll pay you to get a pdf made of it.

50 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

No worries. I haven't been in Sportsman's in almost two years...it's just too far for me to get over there as much as I'd like, but from what I remember they don't stock much conventional gear and what they do have is pretty high end. Just suggesting you take a stroll through Dick's before you head over to Sportsman's and see the difference. For fly gear Sportsman's is absolutely the best in the area. I buy all my rods from them because I can cast them all out front in the pond, and they let me take a few out there at a time. 

You’re right they don’t have a huge selection. 

21 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Set lines on the Colorado this weekend, 42 pound yellow cat and nice views.  

A50FFDE4-D50C-42E2-B673-0DAF3B8061DA.jpeg

8953917A-1DD0-4537-9589-00BF880A7E8F.jpeg

You win. We pivoted from the Colorado to the San Marcos yesterday because LCRA released a bunch of water.  Fish were uninterested.  Heck probably 300 casts, 13 different flies and 4 nibbles, 1 catch.  Didn’t get skunked so this little guy matters! 

5DF2CEE5-B26D-42A6-A815-891747E4F855.jpeg

Nice views too on the green mile approaching the damn east of San Marcos.

CE5B696B-BD35-4803-A902-673D3323F2A2.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Got my surf set up too. 8 foot rod (20 lb) and a reel (not sure how to describe it). Ended up slightly cheaper using the bass pro shop mimic of penn equipment for two reasons - one we had to buy a combo for my partner’s dad who doesn’t have a set up and the selection was poor there.  

Using 30 lb braided line and will set up on a spider weight (don’t recall the weight but medium for sure), with cut bait (shrimp/croaker/shad). Will set that up in the second gut and stick it in the sand and everyone can watch and wait.

I’m sure I’ll upgrade later but now we have 4 rigs. Mine, her dad’s and two Walmart specials (I actually think they are ok).  Will grab a few more pvc cut pipes for pole holders.  Trying to convince my partner to make a 6 rod holder for the truck so we can carry/display our rods on our big ass truck. She’s looking at it but wants to be less obnoxious.  Meh.

I’ll probably get some flouro leaders too for live or single lures as well before we go. Will stop in a bait shop too before we hit the beach. Happy to be redirected by y’all as well - will likely want more than one approach.

fly guide/teacher convinced me to take my fly rod and fish for bait fish in the first gut. Not sure the lure set up but he’s going to send it over.  

bought a Plano back back for surf gear, got some Columbia cute protective clothing, and some lures, gear and fun stuff.  Currently have a full set up for freshwater fly and now surf fishing.

Giddy up. 

36 minutes ago, troph said:

Got my surf set up too. 8 foot rod (20 lb) and a reel (not sure how to describe it). Ended up slightly cheaper using the bass pro shop mimic of penn equipment for two reasons - one we had to buy a combo for my partner’s dad who doesn’t have a set up and the selection was poor there.  

Using 30 lb braided line and will set up on a spider weight (don’t recall the weight but medium for sure), with cut bait (shrimp/croaker/shad). Will set that up in the second gut and stick it in the sand and everyone can watch and wait.

I’m sure I’ll upgrade later but now we have 4 rigs. Mine, her dad’s and two Walmart specials (I actually think they are ok).  Will grab a few more pvc cut pipes for pole holders.  Trying to convince my partner to make a 6 rod holder for the truck so we can carry/display our rods on our big ass truck. She’s looking at it but wants to be less obnoxious.  Meh.

I’ll probably get some flouro leaders too for live or single lures as well before we go. Will stop in a bait shop too before we hit the beach. Happy to be redirected by y’all as well - will likely want more than one approach.

fly guide/teacher convinced me to take my fly rod and fish for bait fish in the first gut. Not sure the lure set up but he’s going to send it over.  

bought a Plano back back for surf gear, got some Columbia cute protective clothing, and some lures, gear and fun stuff.  Currently have a full set up for freshwater fly and now surf fishing.

Giddy up. 

There are a ton of resources on Youtube about reading surf structure, bait rigging, catching bait, and knowing how to handle certain fish and bait without getting injured. I've never been that good at reading surf structure (but haven't been since most of the videos were made).

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

There are a ton of resources on Youtube about reading surf structure, bait rigging, catching bait, and knowing how to handle certain fish and bait without getting injured. I've never been that good at reading surf structure (but haven't been since most of the videos were made).

CHIEF

I'll probably start watching videos here real soon.  would like to go with some head knowledge and a few set ups known in advance - I have one now, will add the fly set up that should be super easy.  Then 1-2 more for the second gut and good to go.  talked with the guy at BPS and he had some good insights on what do with a shark and steel head cats.  he mentioned structure and I glazed over, definitely want to watch up on that.

2 hours ago, troph said:

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That seems like fun.  Need to make that happen this year. 

Ladyfish on a fly in the 1st gut would be fun

I have some ladyfish flies I tied when I was fishing way south a lot. Basically a clouser minnow made with nothing but silver crystal flash. Cast it as far as you can, tuck the rod under your arm and two hand strip as fast as you can. Like catching baby tarpon. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have some ladyfish flies I tied when I was fishing way south a lot. Basically a clouser minnow made with nothing but silver crystal flash. Cast it as far as you can, tuck the rod under your arm and two hand strip as fast as you can. Like catching baby tarpon. 

Dude that’s exactly what my teacher said and exactly what he said it was like!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Why do I get a sexual tingle when i think about fly fishing the surf?  I need to get to the coast, pronto.

I'm not an expert, but I've always heard specs aren't big migrators and tend to stay close to where they are hatched. Tag recaptures tend to prove this out. Put another way, gulf trout tend to stay in the gulf, and bay trout tend to stay in the bay. If they migrated, you'd be able to walk across any pass in Texas on the boats stacked up to catch them in migration season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would agree.   You will see bay trout follow the food source throughout the seasons but I don't think there is a ton of exchange between gulf trout and bay trout.  

I follow a couple of jetty guides on FB and I noticed that not one of them has posted a pic of their catch that included in a trout in many months.  I don't know where the Gulf Trout go during this time of year but it is not the jetties.  I text one and asked him when he will start to see good trout show up and he said "mid to late April".  

I did sign up for Trout Support's Members area last year.  I found it really informative in regards to the seasonality of Trout, Reds and Flounder.  Tobin has a really strong background in Ecology and does videos every week talking about what to look for when on the water.  So if you are looking to geek out on saltwater fishing info, I think it is worth it.  If you fish Galveston area, he has a Reef Recon overlay for your GPS that is pretty nice.  There is a forum set up where members share ideas, product info and Tobin has been very good about answering questions that are posted.  

I think on Sunday I am going to tear down all my fishing gear and reorganize.  And I need to switch out some hooks on lures.  

Troph - There are two fishing websites that I follow.  2Coolfishing.com and then there was a rebellion last year and these guys started dosfrio.com offshoot of 2 Cool.        On one of those websites is a guy named Shark Chum who apparently is the Mr Miyagi of surf fishing.  Definitely looking for his posts for tips.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

I don't know where the Gulf Trout go during this time of year but it is not the jetties. 

This is anecdotal af but a couple of years ago I went to the island to visit with a friend, and he wanted to hit the jetties.  January, and the water was like yoohoo.  I watched him catch a limit of trout, all between 20-25" on a freaking mirrolure.  The conditions were so bad I didn't even bring tackle. I just sat there and drank beer and watched him crush these fish and froze my nuts off.  I 100% would not have believed any of it had I not been right there.   They are there.  It was miserable conditions tho.  Changed my entire outlook, although I can find other things to do on yoohoo water January days.  

48 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

so did the "cool" guys start dosfrio, or did they stay on 2cool and boot the assholes. I used to read 2cool daily, but haven't bothered in over a year. 

All I need to know is which one is Mont running?   And is doing anything other than cockguzzling their sponsors still grounds for censure.  

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is anecdotal af but a couple of years ago I went to the island to visit with a friend, and he wanted to hit the jetties.  January, and the water was like yoohoo.  I watched him catch a limit of trout, all between 20-25" on a freaking mirrolure.  The conditions were so bad I didn't even bring tackle. I just sat there and drank beer and watched him crush these fish and froze my nuts off.  I 100% would not have believed any of it had I not been right there.   They are there.  It was miserable conditions tho.  Changed my entire outlook, although I can find other things to do on yoohoo water January days.  

All I need to know is which one is Mont running?   And is doing anything other than cockguzzling their sponsors still grounds for censure.  

I just checked out both sites. Dosfrio is a mess to navigate, and 2Cool switched to the same shitty forum software Microskiff went to last year. 

I read an article a few years ago...may have been in Tide, that said trout are so localized TPWD biologists could look at a trout's DNA and tell you what bay it came from. It's why stocking specs is more difficult that reds. The gist of the article was that TPWD and CCA were looking at ways to improve biodiversity in trout populations to prevent a parasite or disease from wiping out a bay's trout population. 

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I just checked out both sites. Dosfrio is a mess to navigate, and 2Cool switched to the same shitty forum software Microskiff went to last year. 

I read an article a few years ago...may have been in Tide, that said trout are so localized TPWD biologists could look at a trout's DNA and tell you what bay it came from. It's why stocking specs is more difficult that reds. The gist of the article was that TPWD and CCA were looking at ways to improve biodiversity in trout populations to prevent a parasite or disease from wiping out a bay's trout population. 

I read the same.  Was thinking how kick ass it would be to have those Baffin bruisers up and down the coast.  Or even surf trout dna in the bays. 

Yea, I mainly window shopped the boat sales and real estate forums. The real estate forum got to be nothing but guys trying to rent their 1 br cabin in POC (Sleeps 28!!) or guys trying to sell their house in Katy. As a skiff guy, the only reason I bothered with the boat sale forum was hoping I'd run across the "Barn Find" Hell's Bay someone listed cheap not knowing what they had. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Their websites are terrible. I only access them from Tapatalk and usually just browse them during lunch. Half of my time is spent looking at the boats for sale.

I can waste a weekend looking at boats for sale.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davidg said:

Need to add this to the arsenal @troph for that beach trip

uh, it's in our plan. she's got the drone and has just been too busy to practice it.  I'll show her this and maybe she will try before we go.  trip is April 23-25. I'd have more than a tingle down there if we got a shore rod with bait/lure dropped in green water by a drone.  holy molely!

Edited by troph

On 3/31/2021 at 12:06 AM, fattyflattie said:

Second week in May, historically, is usually my first good day of the year in the surf.  For years growing up down there, second week of May was always first "limits" trip to surf, fwiw.  I used to keep stuff like that written down.

I am no stranger to the surf on PINS or even Matagorda, but I have never fished down Matagorda in the late spring.

For your good days in the surf are we talking trout?

If so, I usually throw top water at dawn and switch to a rattletrap a little later.  I never much cared for soft plastics in the surf, although I do use them in the bays.

What was you mid may go to for surf trout and other targeted species.

16 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

For your good days in the surf are we talking trout?

Yes. 

17 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If so, I usually throw top water at dawn and switch to a rattletrap a little later.  I never much cared for soft plastics in the surf, although I do use them in the bays.

Spooks and 52MR’s.   When I was a teenager and had the ability to go every time the water was right, I used to destroy them on 4” DOA shrimp in gold/natural color.    My fishing partner took a corky to the forearm out on the third bar with a lively trout on it once, and that sucked. So if I’m deep I stick to single hooks.  

*answer might be biased. I throw top water almost exclusively in every month that isn’t a pure corky month. And might toss tails 2% of the time, at best.   

24 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. 

Spooks and 52MR’s.   When I was a teenager and had the ability to go every time the water was right, I used to destroy them on 4” DOA shrimp in gold/natural color.    My fishing partner took a corky to the forearm out on the third bar with a lively trout on it once, and that sucked. So if I’m deep I stick to single hooks.  

*answer might be biased. I throw top water almost exclusively in every month that isn’t a pure corky month. And might toss tails 2% of the time, at best.   

On the rare occasion I'm throwing conventional gear, I've got to be getting outfished 10-1 to switch from topwater to soft plastics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes. 

Thanks.  I hear you. I almost only throw top water out of the kayak or wade.  I will switch to a popping cork if I get tired and want to down a few Bud Lights that I have conveniently placed in my kayak cooler.  Top water strikes are like Xmas morning to me.  My best rigs are set up for tw and everything else is just an afterthought.

I assume when you say Spooks you are referring to Spook Sr. and not Jr.  I like both and have recently gotten faith in my She Dog and Badonka donk.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, troph said:

I'll probably start watching videos here real soon.  would like to go with some head knowledge and a few set ups known in advance - I have one now, will add the fly set up that should be super easy.  Then 1-2 more for the second gut and good to go.  talked with the guy at BPS and he had some good insights on what do with a shark and steel head cats.  he mentioned structure and I glazed over, definitely want to watch up on that.

Structure is hard one for me unless it is super obvious.  I have been seriously fishing the surf for 17 years and I am still amazed by some of my buddies ability to scout surf.

When in doubt look for deep wade gut and or deep 1st gut.  I caught my first shark (6' blacktip) no more than 10' from the sand in a 4' deep wade hole with a live 4" Pompano. It was awesome as it was about 11PM and we heard the clicker go off as we were relaxing with margaritas around the camp fire.  All hell broke loose and the shark was all the way in the second gut by the time I got him turned around.  My HS senior was with me and after that day he thought I was freaking Earnest Hemingway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Thanks.  I hear you. I almost only throw top water out of the kayak or wade.  I will switch to a popping cork if I get tired and want to down a few Bud Lights that I have conveniently placed in my kayak cooler.  Top water strikes are like Xmas morning to me.  My best rigs are set up for tw and everything else is just an afterthought.

I assume when you say Spooks you are referring to Spook Sr. and not Jr.  I like both and have recently gotten faith in my She Dog and Badonka donk.

Jrs mostly. Start with black/chrome and it becomes bone and then start over.  Every now and then I’ll cheat on it with a skitterwalk.   I only keep 2 rigs. One very light loomis/MG setup I use for top water. And one ever slightly stouter loomis/Met I use for corkies and very rarely plastics.   I’m a fan of the OG size corkies, which is why I keep the slightly stouter rod.  Fat boys are great and all but I’ve got the motion down with the old school.  I was lucky enough to live close to where I’d get to make trips to Mr Paul’s garage and buy them. Was a day to look forward to at 16 yo.  Also great surf lures if you don’t mind the trebles. 

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Jrs mostly. Start with black/chrome and it becomes bone and then start over.  Every now and then I’ll cheat on it with a skitterwalk.   I only keep 2 rigs. One very light loomis/MG setup I use for top water. And one ever slightly stouter loomis/Met I use for corkies and very rarely plastics.   I’m a fan of the OG size corkies, which is why I keep the slightly stouter rod.  Fat boys are great and all but I’ve got the motion down with the old school.  I was lucky enough to live close to where I’d get to make trips to Mr Paul’s garage and buy them. Was a day to look forward to at 16 yo.  Also great surf lures if you don’t mind the trebles. 

Black chrome jr in the surf at dawn it is.  I don't think my black chrome has ever been slimed. 

I am partial to the wade gut at dawn.  Any recommendations on Matagorda Beach structure to attack?

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Any recommendations on Matagorda Beach structure to attack?

13 miles was the area I always fished.  Lots of shell, deep drop offs on the beach.  Always loved how Matagorda has that deep first gut (unlike Surfside where I grew).  You could hit the first bar and actually fish back towards the beach.   And there's no chance you are making the third bar, so no swimming with rod up in air like a fool.  @Judge Roybeanbag is a matty surf guy iirc. 

I can't "read" surf structure other than the absolute obvious.  But I did make note of all the things I happened upon or was told to me.   Unfortunately I haven't really fished the surf properly since I got out of school and bought a proper boat. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

13 miles was the area I always fished.  Lots of shell, deep drop offs on the beach.  Always loved how Matagorda has that deep first gut (unlike Surfside where I grew).  You could hit the first bar and actually fish back towards the beach.   And there's no chance you are making the third bar, so no swimming with rod up in air like a fool.  @Judge Roybeanbag is a matty surf guy iirc. 

I can't "read" surf structure other than the absolute obvious.  But I did make note of all the things I happened upon or was told to me.   Unfortunately I haven't really fished the surf properly since I got out of school and bought a proper boat. 

Thirded. Only luck I've ever had fishing the surf is on ice cream days when I could run out Pass Cavillo or the Big Jetties at Port O and fish the second or third gut. Even then it was sporadic. I've never been out in the surf with a guide. If I ever went again we would take CHIEF Jr.'s drone to SPINS and try to locate structure and bait balls. Other than that, it would just be a long wasted trip. It's far enough down there for me now, I probably won't ever go without doing a guided trip.

CHIEF

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve never gotten good at reading the surf, other than to look for changes in the wave breaks, or places where the water changes color.  Haven’t been to Matagorda in over a year, but like @fattyflattie said, between 7 miles down and Mitchell’s Cut is where the shell and deeper guts are.  That said, last time I was there, we drove way down the beach at 4am, fished all morning with not much of anything, then on the way back we saw guys catching limits of trout on the first 2 miles of beach near the entrance where it’s flat and sandy. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

10 hours ago, Deej said:

Just using ultralight thinking I'd snag some bluegill in front of the house. 

It's really hard to beat the convenience:fun ratio of catching average fish on really light tackle. Excitement and challenge goes up 10x and you can do it just about anywhere for zero cost.

• Hook 'Em 1