Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

^^^ i'm pretty sure i'd hit the deck when that thing starts b lining for the boat. i have a weird fear that one of those things would kill me. hell of a way to go out i suppose. snuck off yesterday...it was slow but we managed some good eats.

spacer.png

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I don’t know why but I covet a sail more than pretty much any other fish.  I’ve had a few come in and tease shallow, while out king and snapper fishing, and I’d guess that’s why.  The ability to luck into one someday on just a regular trip.   I need to get my ass south and make it happen.  Great pics.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:37 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

^^^ i'm pretty sure i'd hit the deck when that thing starts b lining for the boat. i have a weird fear that one of those things would kill me. hell of a way to go out i suppose. snuck off yesterday...it was slow but we managed some good eats.

spacer.png

Looks like Puerto Aventuras.

CHIEF

Made a quick trip to Oyster Lake to fish yesterday evening and this morning.  Ended up with 11 trout and a 27” red between two of us, caught a ton of undersized ones and sand trout.  A lot of fish and bait there, porpoise and bull sharks were around too. Good to see that the freeze didn’t completely kill that area.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 6:51 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That’s a roger, chief.

DNH, is that where you got the long-term condo lease? I looked at either a partial purchase or long-term lease there about 10 years ago.

CHIEF

21 hours ago, CHIEF said:

DNH, is that where you got the long-term condo lease? I looked at either a partial purchase or long-term lease there about 10 years ago.

CHIEF

negative @CHIEF we settled in playa. 

met @Pescado_Rojo down south for a couple of days. everybody had some shots and we managed to get a couple to eat and one to the boat.

spacer.png

don't tell him i said this but his kid is fishier than he is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

negative @CHIEF we settled in playa. 

met @Pescado_Rojo down south for a couple of days. everybody had some shots and we managed to get a couple to eat and one to the boat.

spacer.png

don't tell him i said this but his kid is fishier than he is.

Has been for a couple years now. Sometime I think you only invite me so I’ll bring him. 😄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Damn. I read that story. Miracle that airboat was around.

We were down there this weekend. Mosquito Apocalypse right now with all the standing water around town.

We waded Friday and did well. At 9am the trout started smacking all the bait around us. I mean smacking the fuck out of everything that moved. Like underwater bombs going off all around you. It was every cast once it started. The trout were very stout. Not one undersized trout was caught. I also found a nice red up in a entrance to a back lake and smacked that top water.

We tried to find a tagged red with the kids Sat and Sunday and had no luck. Only one keeper.

e59bcf932d02af86a201aa199aeb1c5b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It was on POC PEOPLE Facebook group.

Edit-update, I feel much better this morning. Blood pressure and heart rate are back to normal. That enzyme Number went up over night, but they said that's expected considering the trauma. They're not too concerned because the last blood draw showed an improvement. They want to do a stress test this morning. The other guy is doing well as well and so is the little girl. God is great. Looking back at this post from last night and I didn't even mentioned the lord, but you can bet I said many prayers last night. As this was all happening, I can't remember what I was thinking. Re-reading all this this morning and I'm a little overcome with emotion.

Today was the scariest day of my life. I write this as I sit over night in the hospital. They are monitoring my heart enzyme levels (or something) and high blood pressure and fast heart rate that won't come down. They are worried about the salt water that I ingested and said that if problems arise it's usually 8-12 hours after ingesting. The elevated enzymes are Supossedly after the heart is very stressed and overly exerted.

We were at the beach today (Sunday beach, not on the mainland) and the kids were in the surf jumping waves, when one girl got swept out. Another guy and myself were already working our way out to the kids (because I thought they were too far out) when I realized that the girl was being swept out and could not swim back in.

The two of us rushed out and I was the first to reach the girl, but the current was very strong and huge waves were crashing all around us and the water was over my head. I grabbed the girl by the arm and could tell that she was extremely panicked and scared to death. It took me a few minutes to reach the same state of mind.

I was doing everything I could to try and pull the girl onto the next sand bar and most importantly help her keep her head above the crashing waves. When a wave was crashing in, I would shove her up, which would shove me down. I could then touch bottom and bounced back up and tried getting a breath. At first I was making some progress against the current, but after probably 5-10 minutes the adrenaline just wasn't enough anymore and I was so tired and out of breath. When I'd come up for a breath in between waves, I could not get a full breathe because the next wave was crashing in, but eventually I knew I would not make it doing that.

There was a point where I just could not make it with trying to swim, pull her in and hold her somewhat up. The other guy was next to us, so I let her go, so that I could find some way to get a few full breaths in. The other guy grabbed her, but we were at the point where the water was too deep and the waves crashing were too big and too often and we werent making any progress and started to get pulled back out.

Eventually I got ahold of the girl again, but that is when I had nothing left in me and thought it was over, because I was going to help keep that girl up as long as I could, but that meant I would drown. We had been out there for well over ten minutes (I'm guessing) at that point. I was to the point of taking in salt water with my breaths (not a lot, but definitely some)

Another minute in that situation and I would not have made it and likely the girl and the other guy would not have either.... But then I heard an airboat coming (loud engine). That sound gave me a new boost of adrenaline and a sense of hope. As the boat got closer, I was able to shove the girl towards the boat and the guy in the boat grabbed her. There was no way I could pull myself into the boat.

The waves were so bad that the airboat started taking on waves, but the guy was able to turn it around and towards shore. Me and the other guy with me were able to grab onto the airboat side and the guy took off, but it was just too much for my weak self to hold on and my hand slipped off.

I thought it was over for the second time, but thanks be to God, the short ride I took hanging onto the side of the airboat, got me to the sand bar and I was able to stand. At about that time, the airboat took on waves and got swamped. It was not too far away and I was able to make my way to the boat and climb up the fan shroud/cage. I had to get out of the crashing waves, because I could not breathe fast enough and waves were crashing over me. Getting up a couple feet allowed me to take full breaths, but I was dizzy and never felt so tired in my life. I breathed so fast, but felt like I couldn't get any air. I laid on that cage for 10 minutes trying to catch my breath and not feel dizzy and try to gain some strength.

I was scared to try and make it back to shore, even though from that point in, was manageable water. I just didn't want to be in crashing waves anymore. Eventually I got enough strength and courage to make it back to shore, with the help of some guys. I was still dizzy and extremely weak and still breathing hard.

Eventually another airboat brought us back to mainland. The paramedics took us in the ambulance. My oxygen level when they tested it, was at 84% and they said I was pale and had blue lips. They gave me an IV and oxygen. I felt better by the time we arrived at the hospital.

The other guy got hit a little harder I think, but he's doing OK now. The little girl should be OK as well.

I just keep thinking about that last minute before I heard the airboat engine. I thought it was over. I had no options left. I had no energy left. I had no breath left. I kept thinking that I hope they somehow at least rescue the girl.

On a side note , the next time I hear anyone complain about the "loud airboats" I will tell them that that sound saved my life. It gave me enough hope and adrenaline to keep fighting for anothe minute and that minute made the difference between life and death for three of us.

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

It was on POC PEOPLE Facebook group.

Edit-update, I feel much better this morning. Blood pressure and heart rate are back to normal. That enzyme Number went up over night, but they said that's expected considering the trauma. They're not too concerned because the last blood draw showed an improvement. They want to do a stress test this morning. The other guy is doing well as well and so is the little girl. God is great. Looking back at this post from last night and I didn't even mentioned the lord, but you can bet I said many prayers last night. As this was all happening, I can't remember what I was thinking. Re-reading all this this morning and I'm a little overcome with emotion.

Today was the scariest day of my life. I write this as I sit over night in the hospital. They are monitoring my heart enzyme levels (or something) and high blood pressure and fast heart rate that won't come down. They are worried about the salt water that I ingested and said that if problems arise it's usually 8-12 hours after ingesting. The elevated enzymes are Supossedly after the heart is very stressed and overly exerted.

We were at the beach today (Sunday beach, not on the mainland) and the kids were in the surf jumping waves, when one girl got swept out. Another guy and myself were already working our way out to the kids (because I thought they were too far out) when I realized that the girl was being swept out and could not swim back in.

The two of us rushed out and I was the first to reach the girl, but the current was very strong and huge waves were crashing all around us and the water was over my head. I grabbed the girl by the arm and could tell that she was extremely panicked and scared to death. It took me a few minutes to reach the same state of mind.

I was doing everything I could to try and pull the girl onto the next sand bar and most importantly help her keep her head above the crashing waves. When a wave was crashing in, I would shove her up, which would shove me down. I could then touch bottom and bounced back up and tried getting a breath. At first I was making some progress against the current, but after probably 5-10 minutes the adrenaline just wasn't enough anymore and I was so tired and out of breath. When I'd come up for a breath in between waves, I could not get a full breathe because the next wave was crashing in, but eventually I knew I would not make it doing that.

There was a point where I just could not make it with trying to swim, pull her in and hold her somewhat up. The other guy was next to us, so I let her go, so that I could find some way to get a few full breaths in. The other guy grabbed her, but we were at the point where the water was too deep and the waves crashing were too big and too often and we werent making any progress and started to get pulled back out.

Eventually I got ahold of the girl again, but that is when I had nothing left in me and thought it was over, because I was going to help keep that girl up as long as I could, but that meant I would drown. We had been out there for well over ten minutes (I'm guessing) at that point. I was to the point of taking in salt water with my breaths (not a lot, but definitely some)

Another minute in that situation and I would not have made it and likely the girl and the other guy would not have either.... But then I heard an airboat coming (loud engine). That sound gave me a new boost of adrenaline and a sense of hope. As the boat got closer, I was able to shove the girl towards the boat and the guy in the boat grabbed her. There was no way I could pull myself into the boat.

The waves were so bad that the airboat started taking on waves, but the guy was able to turn it around and towards shore. Me and the other guy with me were able to grab onto the airboat side and the guy took off, but it was just too much for my weak self to hold on and my hand slipped off.

I thought it was over for the second time, but thanks be to God, the short ride I took hanging onto the side of the airboat, got me to the sand bar and I was able to stand. At about that time, the airboat took on waves and got swamped. It was not too far away and I was able to make my way to the boat and climb up the fan shroud/cage. I had to get out of the crashing waves, because I could not breathe fast enough and waves were crashing over me. Getting up a couple feet allowed me to take full breaths, but I was dizzy and never felt so tired in my life. I breathed so fast, but felt like I couldn't get any air. I laid on that cage for 10 minutes trying to catch my breath and not feel dizzy and try to gain some strength.

I was scared to try and make it back to shore, even though from that point in, was manageable water. I just didn't want to be in crashing waves anymore. Eventually I got enough strength and courage to make it back to shore, with the help of some guys. I was still dizzy and extremely weak and still breathing hard.

Eventually another airboat brought us back to mainland. The paramedics took us in the ambulance. My oxygen level when they tested it, was at 84% and they said I was pale and had blue lips. They gave me an IV and oxygen. I felt better by the time we arrived at the hospital.

The other guy got hit a little harder I think, but he's doing OK now. The little girl should be OK as well.

I just keep thinking about that last minute before I heard the airboat engine. I thought it was over. I had no options left. I had no energy left. I had no breath left. I kept thinking that I hope they somehow at least rescue the girl.

On a side note , the next time I hear anyone complain about the "loud airboats" I will tell them that that sound saved my life. It gave me enough hope and adrenaline to keep fighting for anothe minute and that minute made the difference between life and death for three of us.

Holy Jeebus.

And on the "loud airboats" comment.  Yeah, same goes for internal combustion engines being the devil to some people.  Yeah?  Come hang out in hurricane country and go ahead and wave off the first Blackhawk that lowers a rope down to you friendo.

All that bullshit flies right out the window in a nanosecond when your ass is on the line.

22 hours ago, Cajun said:

Apparently there are big girls who swallow just north of Cabo at Magdallena Bay -

Image 5-27-21 at 7.45 AM.jpg

is it dead? why did they have to kill it? get it next to the boat, take copious pics, post on instafaketweetbook, and then cut the line and let it swim off.

the fuck?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:02 AM, 4th and 5 said:

some dude in POC lost his airboat rescuing 3 people who got swept out at Pass Cavallo

That’s legit hero shit. He knew without a doubt he was going to lose that boat. I’m surprised he was able to get it turned, tbh.  Airboats in calm deep water are scary af. Airboats in rough deep water are about guaranteed the results he got.  Good on him though. Scary stuff. That’s exactly where my kids play. I try not to take my eyes off them, the pass can be very dangerous. 

55 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

is it dead? why did they have to kill it? get it next to the boat, take copious pics, post on instafaketweetbook, and then cut the line and let it swim off.

the fuck?

I don't know the story.  Coulda been caught or coulda been washed up on the beach.  Might of been floating dead out in the water.  

But if they did catch it, look at the crowd out there.  It's Madalena Bay Baja.  They're probably not real looped in on Great White conservation.  Some of these people probably eat sauteed tire treads for dinner.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I don't know the story.  Coulda been caught or coulda been washed up on the beach.  Might of been floating dead out in the water.  

But if they did catch it, look at the crowd out there.  It's Madalena Bay Baja.  They're probably not real looped in on Great White conservation.  Some of these people probably eat sauteed tire treads for dinner.

yea, if they did catch that, it probably fed the whole village for a while. 

16 hours ago, Cajun said:

Beached Pangas out front shoulda told you

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Local dude out of Port A caught the first tagged red yesterday. Fishing out of a 14 foot boat with a 10hp engine. Ran into him at the Gaff last night and he was so pumped.

Those are the best stories, someone who will use that new boat.  

Will be a busy weekend down there with the nice Wx and the pipeliners tournament. Didn’t expect to be in town this month so I declined. And here I sit in Houston with a million fishing texts flying :(  

• Hook 'Em 1

Heading down to Port A in early August for much needed vacation and I’ll have some time to feeesh. Not looking for charters or anything body related, just some easily accessible wade/yak fishing where I can drink beer and chill tfo. 

any tips for stuff beyond the surf/beach?  I’ve considered driving down to PINS but I’d like to find some place closer to toss a fly rod if possible. We are staying on the south side of PA, in between the beach and the nature preserve. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8849fa4f752ab546264c3f8858818a42.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bd268ee652a570183973f15735e6676c.jpeg

Midday special.  Buddy only had a couple hours to spare but luckily the fish cooperated with our 1-3pm window.  Dodged a couple of storms but ended up a nice day on the water.

And mega props to that Rooster.  What a fucking beast.  I bet those deckhands were pissed chasing that sucker for 4 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Any recommendations for bay fishing out of Port A?  7 and 10 year old kids along so we need someone patient who can put us on fish.  Probably just a 1/2 day.  Thanks for the help. 

Josh Tejeda at Tejas Charters is your guy.

If he is booked just ask him for a few names of who he would recommend. He was president of the guides association there at one point.

Heading down to Port A in early August for much needed vacation and I’ll have some time to feeesh. Not looking for charters or anything body related, just some easily accessible wade/yak fishing where I can drink beer and chill tfo. 

any tips for stuff beyond the surf/beach?  I’ve considered driving down to PINS but I’d like to find some place closer to toss a fly rod if possible. We are staying on the south side of PA, in between the beach and the nature preserve. 

You can put in several places down that way. Most popular areas would be the area behind the Island of Sun Church or around Packery Flats. Wilson’s cut is another good fishing option but you always run the risk of people breaking in your truck.

Check out Coastalbendfishing.com for more ideas.
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

You can put in several places down that way. Most popular areas would be the area behind the Island of Sun Church or around Packery Flats. Wilson’s cut is another good fishing option but you always run the risk of people breaking in your truck.

Check out Coastalbendfishing.com for more ideas.

Thanks!  This will be my first attempt at salt water fly fishing. Any reccs for flies I should have with me when I head down there?  Or any other tips for trout/reds on the fly specifically?

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Thanks!  This will be my first attempt at salt water fly fishing. Any reccs for flies I should have with me when I head down there?  Or any other tips for trout/reds on the fly specifically?

Clousers are always a good option in either pink/white or chartreuse/white. I throw some version of a Redfish Crack about 80% of the time. If you're a fly tyer there's a couple good videos on youtube, and it's a pretty easy tie. Any shrimpy pattern will work. I prefer bead chain eyes, but carry a few with small lead eyes for deeper water. Reds aren't the most finicky fish out there, so if you get it in front of them they usually eat. Carry a few bass poppers, too. It's fun getting them to eat on top. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Clousers are always a good option in either pink/white or chartreuse/white. I throw some version of a Redfish Crack about 80% of the time. If you're a fly tyer there's a couple good videos on youtube, and it's a pretty easy tie. Any shrimpy pattern will work. I prefer bead chain eyes, but carry a few with small lead eyes for deeper water. Reds aren't the most finicky fish out there, so if you get it in front of them they usually eat. Carry a few bass poppers, too. It's fun getting them to eat on top. 

Awesome thanks. I already have have some clousers in the fly box and will grab some redfish crack before I go. I was hoping to get a chance at some topwater action. Always a blast and I imagine even more so with a red. 

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

Awesome thanks. I already have have some clousers in the fly box and will grab some redfish crack before I go. I was hoping to get a chance at some topwater action. Always a blast and I imagine even more so with a red. 

https://www.sightcastfishing.com/fly-shop/redfish-cracklin

Any of those colors with the tan tail will work great down there. I'd stay away from the darker colors for the Middle/South coast. FWIW, Sightcast Fishing is a Texas company. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Much obliged. I’m about a year into fly fishing and have had an absolute blast being consumed by it. I guess this is the next logical step in the obsession. Now I just have to get through the next month of daydreaming about it. 

Careful man, once that salt gets in your blood shit changes. Right @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt?

12 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Careful man, once that salt gets in your blood shit changes. Right @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt?

I’ve tried to explain to my wife that a 6 month old white baby can fetch up to 100k on the black market. “Do you realize how much coast fishing I could do with that kind of scratch?  And it’s not like we don’t already have one kid. You are being so selfish right now.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It’s not like I’m so hooked I would move to Mexico or anything. I can quit anytime.

Haha.  I’ve always looked at fly fishing like heroin.  Not even gonna try it.  I’m addicted enough to regular fishing. Growing up 100 yards from the Colorado and 50 miles From the coast, I never had a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Haha.  I’ve always looked at fly fishing like heroin.  Not even gonna try it.  I’m addicted enough to regular fishing. Growing up 100 yards from the Colorado and 50 miles From the coast, I never had a chance.

Redfish are like smoking weed. Jumping a Tarpon is like crack. Permit fishing is Heroin. 

• Haha 1