Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He didn't 'fail' in ATL - he just wasn't as good as his predecessor K. Shanahan.

I'd say, considering where UW was when he was hired, he was successful there.

Definitely flamed out at USC - though going 9-4 when you were completely blitzed most of the time is impressive in its own sort of way.

If you want to play devil’s advocate (and I’m certainly not) you could make the argument that Quinn’s defensive mindset brought down Shanahan’s offensive numbers post Super Bowl year as much as Sark’s hire as OC.  Shanahan’s resurrection of the post-Harbaugh dumpster fire in SF, however, sure shifts the narrative to Atlanta’s explosive Super Bowl year being all about Shanahan though. As for Bama, the factory was already built.  Hard to put a lot of stock in any skins Sark put on the wall there.  Expecting the worst, but hoping for the best here.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

48-14 with a conf championship, played for 3 total and 2 CFP trips with likely 4 straight top 10 finishes?

This is why Texas fans have unrealistic expectations of that’s considered “Jack crap”

fair enough.  but he also took over uga in much better shape and a lot closer to the top than Texas is.

51 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Herman is a better coach than Sark but letting him stay was untenable at this point. Better be 100 percent funded by donor money because otherwise the price tag isn’t worth it.

Well be back here in 3-4 years. Hopefully there’s some better utilization of offensive talent.

I said exactly the same thing when we hired herman.  Prepare to be negged.

• Fuck You 2

Dude must give blow jobs in his interviews or something as he’s done nothing to justify his fall upward. Holy Hell, CDC, I thought we were leaving 2020 behind us? This is at best an even swap, but I think it’ll be harder to get rid of Sark after dark than Herman (who was very disliked). Sark’s actually not a thin-skinned prick. Sets UT back another 8 years.

Donors are not shelling out 25 million to replace Tom with a failed alcoholic head coach. And if they did, they would not be announcing it right before the new head coach has to coach in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. 
Large anonymous donation came in very early this morning.

0f1f60dd42b0e602946541e5eba93e75.jpg
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

The optimistic take:  Sark has been an offensive mind at the controls of two of the great offenses in the last 20 years (USC under Carroll and Bama last couple years).  He has learned to adapt to the evolution of the game, which means he isn't locked in on one "infallible" system that he will keep running into a brick wall.  This is an offensive game now, and in Texas he can get 5 star skill position players to run it, we can outscore most teams we play with superior athletes and a scheme that maximizes their talents.  It may look a lot like OU under Riley, and we should win our share of RRS's and Big 12 titles, maybe get in the CFP once every few years.  It's not Urban, but it can be a definite improvement over what we've had, which will put us back to being a perennial top-10 team.

The pessimistic take:  Pretty obvious, keep him off 6th Street.  

So we need to pray for COVID20 and COVID21 and COVID22?

east-6th-boarded-up-3275*1200xx3000-1688

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Lol at all the people talking about Sark and alcohol while also consuming 2 handles watching the Texas Kansas game. 

Doing it while watching as a fan on your couch is not even close to the same as having it get in the way of your career in coaching. 

5 minutes ago, troph said:

and moreso than Sark. you're proving my point. Herman was successful by any metric you want to use (your words not mine) and he failed. Sark is questionable at best.  near 500 record.  odds are unless something miraculous happened under Saban he's not the guy we need.  I've already stated I'll be cautiously optimistic and hope he works out.  no doubt he was not our first choice and once again, Texas has to settle for a hire after the guy we wanted (and maybe the second and third guy we wanted) said no.  pathetic.

I’m not proving your point. You have not made a cogent argument at all other than you are unhappy. In fact, you have invented facts that do not exist out of frustration. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, runthebone said:

If they threw money at Meyer and Kelly and were told no, then I'm OK with Sarkisian.

CDC wasn't hired to throw money at people. He was hired to close on an elite Football Coach like Meyer. 

CDC failed, and failed huge. We are a national embarrassment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sark has 6.5 seasons as a HC.  At both UW and SC, the programs were in tatters when he took over.

He's far more experienced, and with better experience, that Tom Herman, both as a head coach and an OC.

Not to mention Tom's only other 'big time' experience was the 3 years he spent as the OC at Ohio St running Urban Meyers offense.

Sark has been an OC at USC, in the NFL as a QB coach with the Raiders and OC at Atlanta, and twice been an OC under Saban at Alabama.

Their resumes are worlds apart.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I am stunned. I am pissed.  Its fucking Sarkisian....     how soon do we get drunk......

fuck me.  I wanted Herman gone as well, but this is NOT a good replacement.    this is a fucking SEC style replacement. Which isnt going to fucking help at all. 

He is good at offense.  Hasn’t been a good HC yet though.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He can do it all, Bama runs pro, spread, power, zone. Every time Jones threw a pass it seemed their guys were wide open. For the most part Harris had huge holes to run through.

Landing 10 5-star recruits every year for a decade probably helped 

• Hook 'Em 6

Washington was a historically solid program that bottomed out after a legendarily bad hire in Tyrone Willingham. Sark ended up rebuilding the program to where they were at least a bowl team. He was also 7-19 vs ranked teams there and lost those games by an average of 23 points per game.

And that's the nicest thing you can say about his head coaching resume.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wouldn't like a Sarkisian hire but he hasn't fallen upward. He lost his head coaching gig, went back to assisting, and actually turned Alabama into an offensive juggernaut (being the first offensive guy to convince Saban he needed to open it up)*.
He's done very very well as an offensive assistant in his second go at that. Doesn't mean I want him hired as Texas head coach but failing up doesn't apply.
* - not true, had my timeline wrong, but the point stands

Alabama would be an offensive juggernaut even if they didn’t have an OC and just went out and fucked around.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

This is not correct. Taking a P5 program that was 0-12 and in absolute disarray and taking them to 9-4 is better than Herman did at Houston. I'm not happy about a Sarkisian hire but there is a lot of (predictable) overreaction on the board right now.

anytime you have to explain how a coach was successful, you're arguably pointing out that he wasn't.  We've done this a thousand times.  If he can do that at Texas Tech, think what he can do here, and he's a Letterman too that played under DKR, championships here we come.  He has NFL experience and is an offensive mastermind, if he can do that at Illinois, imagine what he can do here.  I'll give Mack a pass.  He coached under Meyer and has a national championship at Florida under his belt, he's coached Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville and with that one stellar season there imagine what he'll do here.  He's a giant beater at UofH, coached under Meyer at tOSU, imagine what he can do at Texas.

I'm just unwilling to engage in this unbridled optimisim Texas anymore.

Sark may be different, I pray to God for all of us he is.

• Hook 'Em 4

• texifornia changed the title to Herman Fired. Sarkisian (reportedly) Hired.
  • immamac changed the title to Herman Fired.