Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Because winning with a team full of 5 star athletes is so fucking hard.

Exactly. It's almost the same as teams in the NFL plucking coaches from the Belichik coaching tree and thinking they will get those results. And so many fall for the whole "well they have been groomed in their system so they can bring all that knowledge to our teams!". Yeah, except it doesn't work like that. A coordinator just can't replicate the systems and environment that Saban and Belichik have built. 

33 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s funny watching people look at his win-loss record and that’s the level of nuance they put into their analysis. He took over a winless Washington team and a USC team under major NCAA sanctions. At one point he only had 50 or 60 scholarships to use. He did miracles under the circumstances. 

He is an elite recruiter who will hire plus coaches. The downside has nothing to do with his capacity to recruit and coach. He has more upside in that capacity than anyone this side of Meyer on our list. The downside are his personal demons. Not his ability as a coach. 

5 years and the best he did was 8-4.  Chris Peterson took them to 3 straight NY6 games a couple years after Sarkisian was out of the way.  USC also did better after Sark was gone.

Just now, bullet said:

5 years and the best he did was 8-4.  Chris Peterson took them to 3 straight NY6 games a couple years after Sarkisian was out of the way.  USC also did better after Sark was gone.

USC still had a limited roster due to sanctions when he was there

Petersen didn't take over a Washington team that had gone 0-12 the prior year 

• Like 1

Just now, bullet said:

USC did better once major sanctions were lifted? No way! 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

If you want to play devil’s advocate (and I’m certainly not) you could make the argument that Quinn’s defensive mindset brought down Shanahan’s offensive numbers post Super Bowl year as much as Sark’s hire as OC.  Shanahan’s resurrection of the post-Harbaugh dumpster fire in SF, however, sure shifts the narrative to Atlanta’s explosive Super Bowl year being all about Shanahan though. As for Bama, the factory was already built.  Hard to put a lot of stock in any skins Sark put on the wall there.  Expecting the worst, but hoping for the best here.

Dude, the factory was built but they fucking execute at an elite level. That is on coaching and attention to detail.

Shit I am rooting like a mutherfucker for whoever is in Belmont at this point.  Good news is Sark's current offense looks pretty good... Saban from a learning perspective is excellent as well from the college perspective.  We haven't had a coach with this sort of NFL offensive experience well... ever?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

CDC wasn't hired to throw money at people. He was hired to close on an elite Football Coach like Meyer. 

CDC failed, and failed huge. We are a national embarrassment. 

Believe me, you're the only one that's embarrassing. Most people are like "well if he keep his drinking in line, should work out pretty well."

• Hook 'Em 1

I love all of the talk of Sarkisian being an offensive mastermind. 

If there is one thing I have learned about Texas Football, it is this.......60% of our offense will always be behind the LOS passes to stationary receivers that lose yardage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

I love all of the talk of Sarkisian being an offensive mastermind. 

If there is one thing I have learned about Texas Football, it is this.......60% of our offense will always be behind the LOS passes to stationary receivers that lose yardage. 

Greg Davis' influence is deep grasshopper...

33 minutes ago, Keef said:

On the positive side, Sark is supposed to be beloved by his players.  And the UT players almost uniformly despised Tom and I bet a bunch more were hitting the transfer portal during the offseason.  

They loved McWilliams and Strong too.  Does anybody love Saban?

I’ll take it.

Tom was an asshole. Not just in his pressers. I had a player as an intern his first year. Dude had to hold his breath when we talked about Herman.

I will also take the guy who has been with Saban watching how the most elite program works...and helping it.

Now, let’s see what happens on the field...but I’m on board right now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I hated the idea at first but now I think I’m coming around to liking the hiring of Sark.  Unlike Tom, Sark is a genuine offensive guru and he can recruit as well. He also doesn’t have a staff of buddies he will be bringing along and thus hopefully he can put together the best staff UT’s money can buy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Herman Fired. Sarkisian (reportedly) Hired.
  • immamac changed the title to Herman Fired.