Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The ex-Deadspin guys hate college football as an institution. A lot of them are talented writers, but they're completely unreadable on the topic.

Ratto is a fat fucking hack. And guess what. The BMDs weren't going to give 25 million to keep anyone at the university for getting furloughed or let go. Its like no one wants to acknowledge this was new money, not out of the budget. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

New regime. I guess we hired CDC to fall totally in line with the way Texas does things. Other schools are nimble and flexible. We are retarded. 

If urban was really in play then why in the fuck would you fire Herman mid season? He was gone after the ISU loss and everyone knew it. They waited until they actuality had the next coach inked to announce it because they didn't need the auburn bullshit of having their first 3 picks (or whatever) publicly tell them no. I don't see how anyone thinks that is a better scenario than how it played out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Ratto is a fat fucking hack. And guess what. The BMDs weren't going to give 25 million to keep anyone at the university for getting furloughed or let go. Its like no one wants to acknowledge this was new money, not out of the budget. 

Exactly. That’s because the truth isn’t part of their agenda. And it’s what makes journalism shit.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yet we are literally the only school that does it this way. It is particularly egregious when there is rampant speculation he was almost fired for cause. So we perpetuated the drama to keep a guy that was dangerous around kids  But hey, We’re Texas  

I suspect my opinion CDC - that he’s a buffoon that botched this thing (not necessarily Sark, but the last 2-3 months) - is wrong too. 

No, we're not the only school that does it this way. You're being wrong repeatedly and should stop. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yet we are literally the only school that does it this way. It is particularly egregious when there is rampant speculation he was almost fired for cause. So we perpetuated the drama to keep a guy that was dangerous around kids  But hey, We’re Texas  

I suspect my opinion CDC - that he’s a buffoon that botched this thing (not necessarily Sark, but the last 2-3 months) - is wrong too. 

Maybe they figured they leave him twisting in the wind long enough, he'd go on a bender and give them that 'cause' on a silver platter.   Seems a good play, since there really was no big positive to firing him at that stage.    Actually he's been a lot less pissy about all this than Mack was.   I'll give him that.  

Wonder if his contract has a clause about not trashing UT or its players, former or current?  Hope so.

Edited by pyrohornIII

Reading this thread from the beginning when the news of Sark was first leaked by FCB, to the point when it became apparent that he's the next head coach, is like observing a case study of the 5 stages of grief. At first there was plenty of denial and anger, and now I'm not sure if we are still in the bargaining stage or have moved all the way to acceptance.

Lost in this mid-season firing diatribe so far is the beatdowns of K State and Colorado. I wholly enjoyed those and the rest of Herman's career here didn't get in the way for me. Regardless of whatever else Herman fucked up behind the scenes or on his way out, wins like that are good for the program and good for recruits to see. These kids ended their season on 2 high notes and I'm not sure canning Herman after ISU would have let them do that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The ex-Deadspin guys hate college football as an institution. A lot of them are talented writers, but they're completely unreadable on the topic.

The ex-deadspin guys represent the largest collection of self-loathing pussies in the history of sports media. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, MoJames said:

This is a cute story by a annoyed reporter from San Francisco.

https://defector.com/texas-has-discovered-a-new-level-of-f-u-money/

I love Defector, but Ray Ratto is a festering wart on their collective ass.  He posts nothing but these old-school newspaper-style takes straight out of the 70s-80s east coast newsprint bin. Unless it's NYC, Boston, Chicago or California it exists to be the subject of derision and scorn, and if those other places acheive any kind of notice they're committing the cardinal sin of being uppity.   His take on the Astros read like it was straight out of the DiMaggio-era Yankees' PR office.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yesterday on The Horn, Erin Hogan referenced Tommy Boy’s “personal issues” and said stuff will come out. For those keeping score, that’s yet another mention of improprieties/“conduct unbecoming.” Really curious what details will leak out over the coming weeks.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I would’ve fired Herman the day after ISU and had Ash finish out the season. Sark may have been who I went with ultimately. 

Ash...the mother fucker who absolutely shit the bed at Rutgers...that ash? The guy who is just like Tom herman when it comes to coordinators and his buddies, that ash? I swear to Christ you and futureman have to be living together. David Dennison rents a loft upstairs. One big regarded shit posting family. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Dude's gonna bruise his hand clutching those pearls that hard.

SI and ESPN were clearly on the wrong side of the attempted Seppuku of the college football season. Dead wrong there so time to find the next thing to find appalling.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah, naming Ash as an interim coach for KSU, KU and bowl game. What basically everyone was calling for. 

You’ve had 300 or so retarded posts since your “penultimate” post. Congratulations. 

@futureman

Who is everyone? If you’re referring to this board, IT, 247, the donors then that’s why you have this shit all wrong. We handled this with no leaks and no drama other than this board having their hearts broken. We made all that urban shit a big deal. Hell we even made BK a big deal for a minute. Nobody saw Sark being the head coach until he was. Isn’t that how professionals handle their business? Which kid was hurt because herman was left as coach the rest of the season? You can clown the penultimate shit all day man, I’ll take it but you’re wrong here and it’s OK. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Spelling is hard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

So "if" tom takes another job how much of his buyout decreases? or does that not factor in?

Also, haven't seen any but is there any potential landing spots for herman?

Offset language is written in his contract. And not the bullshit that Charlie's contract had either.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sarkisian is basically Herman rehabbed and older, wiser, more mature.  He’s also a much better play caller and offensive mind.  He also has a much better network of colleagues that will work for him.
Everyone obviously wanted Meyer and that didn’t work out.  After that, our options were Franklin, Campbell, Kelley, Cristobal, Malzhan, Fickell, Fleck.  I’ll take Sark over any of those guys.  He’s the best recruiter of that bunch outside of Cristobal.  He’s also the best offensive mind and play caller of that group.  He simply needs to hire a stud staff.  He’s also the only one in the group that has both NFL and college experience and multiple big time programs. 

One last thing, Bama, Auburn, Colorado and and a list of other schools wanted him badly.  Bama administration and fans wanted him to be the heir to Saban.  He’s the real deal.  I’m also excited because it seems like a big contingency of hiring him was the importance of the staff he’s planning on assembling.  Get ready to get the Leals, the Marvin Wilsons, the Jaylen Waddles, the Kelee Ringos.  If the names we’re hearing are true, they know how to win bidding wars.
we'll see. if he runs off that tard aggy coach then we got somebody. royal did that to the fucking loser bear bryanyt.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So "if" tom takes another job how much of his buyout decreases? or does that not factor in?

Also, haven't seen any but is there any potential landing spots for herman?

Pretty sure it's dollar for dollar reduction.  I haven't read it but there should also be language in there that he can't just go take a job for $1 a year and basically be having Texas pay his salary at a different school. Some sort of reasonable salary would be implied if he was not actually receiving that. But again,  haven't read his contract. 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Guess I am the point where I will take these articles hating on our business practices every day of the week over ones hating on us for being inept on the field.    What these media types don't realize is that when everything is an "oh my god can you believe what he/she/they did hyperbole laced meltdown" that nothing really is.  Just a cacophony of shouting that society just shrugs and moves through.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Forde's a real piece of.  He made a good living off of it for the better part of 2 decades, now he's spent 5 years or so making a living off complaining about it.  

Good gig to moralize from atop a soapbox, knowing you've positioned yourself to where your actions can have no effect. That way you'll never have to find something else to do.  The absolute last thing he wants is for anything he rails against to change.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Random question on something someone told me I wanted to check.  Did Herman not say hi to Bru when he would see him around the football complex during the short time he was here?  That sounds really weird but knowing Herman I'd believe it.

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Random question on something someone told me I wanted to check.  Did Herman not say hi to Bru when he would see him around the football complex during the short time he was here?  That sounds really weird but knowing Herman I'd believe it.

Taylor Estes has said this a few times in her podcast.  Said that she’s had people on the team and sources close to Bru tell her this.  

From what I remember Bru had a good relationship with the coaches and that changed when he got here.  I remember Bru and JWhit tweeting some cryptic stuff that spring about the coaches being two faced.  Estes also said that when Herman flew to convince him to stay at Texas, Bru told him directly he did not want to play for him.  

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There's all kinds of rampant speculation around UT athletics.  Ever read Chip Brown?  Just because you heard it, doesn't mean its true.

I'm not saying its not, but you need to be skeptical whenever political things like Texas football coaches are involved.

4 hours ago, pops said:

Pretty sure it's dollar for dollar reduction.  I haven't read it but there should also be language in there that he can't just go take a job for $1 a year and basically be having Texas pay his salary at a different school. Some sort of reasonable salary would be implied if he was not actually receiving that. But again,  haven't read his contract. 

Who was it?  Butch Johnson?  He was an analyst at Alabama making $39,000 a year.  When his old contract ran out he took the job at Arkansas St.

9 hours ago, pops said:

If urban was really in play then why in the fuck would you fire Herman mid season? He was gone after the ISU loss and everyone knew it. They waited until they actuality had the next coach inked to announce it because they didn't need the auburn bullshit of having their first 3 picks (or whatever) publicly tell them no. I don't see how anyone thinks that is a better scenario than how it played out. 

With the early signing now, you either do mid-season or after early signing day.  You kill yourself if you do it late in the season.

If you do it mid-season, you are an idiot because you should have done it at the end of the previous season if half a year makes a difference.

So now that it is over I revisited Herman's Introductory press conference in preparation for Sarkisian's press conference. Just wanted to see if there were indicators from day one if he would fail.

1) He said we would win national championships

Hindsight: Not even close but gave us all a boner

2) He said he was the right guy because he surrounded himself with great people as an example the 9 people on his staff in Houston.

Hindsight: He was telling us he was going to bring over most his staff

3) He said he would be a good recruiter because he grew up as a coach in Texas

Hindsight: He delivered until he didn't when he messed up the Texas program because of #2

4) He said fan expectations at Texas would never be greater then his expectations

Hindsight: He did not understand the expectations at a job like Texas and let us know that he knew more than anyone in the room.

5) Extremely proud of his results at Houston

Hindsight: Losing to SMU and others was OK with him

6) Most physically and mentally tough team on the field

Hindsight: Gave us a boner at the time but far from tough

giphy.gif

7) Actually was humble when asked about his quick rise.

Hindsight: Snake oil

8. When asked about coming from Houston to Austin what adjustments he had to make. Answer: NONE plus he expanded with WINNING IS HARD

Hindsight: He told us then what we know now, he never would change his formula since in his view it was air tight. He thought in his core he was already was doing the right things.

I stopped listening after this answer he told us who he would be at the opening press conference and we missed it.

Question #8 is at minute 25

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

Herman loved UT so much, he didn’t leave his company car at the airport. What a stand up guy. 

He's still racking up charges at the UT Club in the stadium, the UT Golf Club in Steiner, and a bunch of other shit he has no intention of paying or giving back. 

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

He's still racking up charges at the UT Club in the stadium, the UT Golf Club in Steiner, and a bunch of other shit he has no intention of paying or giving back. 

How the fuck did he get to sit next to Ricky during the parade? Ricky hates his guts. That’s always bothered me. What a clout chaser.