Tom Herman Fired as UT Football Coach

texifornia

I don't even know how Estes has any credibility or a press pass (I mean I know how, it's just puzzling). She doesn't seem like a legitimate journalist. Her career is a weird mix of unimpressive gigs in front of a camera, marketing/operations/editing work, and "writing" for sites that verge on dumbed-down and pulpy at their best.
I mean has she ever done any hard-hitting reporting or written anything insightful? I get the vibe that basically all she does it take a bucket of sand to the beach and dump it out one spoonful at a time. 
blow job?

On 1/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, Pip said:

This is Tom Palaima’s schtick. Ignore him, he’s a grumpy old man howling at the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I took his summer intensive Ancient Greek class, and recall a negative op-Ed about Mack Brown Texas Football that summer (2001). I don’t remember the topic, but he was plainly anti-athletics. No doubt he finds an opening for his bitching at least once a year. 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:45 AM, texifornia said:

Those dumbfucks know good and well that the athletics department is one of the only self sustaining ADs in the country. Football is net positive cash flow, they can do whatever the fuck they want with their money. Such hacks.

• Like 1

And then you have to think about the kids. The kids crave stability and Sally’s cookies. I just hate to see instability and changes for the kids sake. When Tom Herman was learning the proper way to churn butter under my tutelage back when I ran mack brown-texasfootball.com, I used to tell him you have to think about the kids. You have to make sure they know they’re loved and they’re getting proper hydration and nutrients with halftime orange slices. Dehydration in the Texas heat just scares you to death. I’m afraid the instability of firing coaches will cause the kids emotional harm. 

...how I imagine the rest of the interview went. Reading that shit instantly reminded me how much I hate mack brown.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, satyanash said:

FUPM pondering which side of the field he wants a lateral pass to go to with game on the line.

He is certainly trying to channel another curse with that quote.

I sure hope he has used up all the anti-Texas voodoo in his butter fridge.

Edited by El Squared

Those dumbfucks know good and well that the athletics department is one of the only self sustaining ADs in the country. Football is net positive cash flow, they can do whatever the fuck they want with their money. Such hacks.

No, everyone knows that philosophy is what drives our economy and funds the university. They should be happy that they get to have a job sitting around smelling their own farts.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Inside Texas, some details on why Herman sucked.

Spoiler

Closure

We’re going to post some things that underline why we had concerns about Tom Herman over the years. It may add some clarity to why others had issues with him, especially some former players.

We’re not going to share everything we know or attempt to confirm a salacious internet rumor you might have heard. We don’t care about that stuff beyond how it affected his performance or ability to win over the team.

*When Texas went to do its homework on Herman in 2016 it was ill-equipped for a proper undertaking. The people tasked with making the decision at the time weren’t aided by people close to Herman speaking openly and honestly about him. That is how he liked it and a reason why he kept a tight circle and embraced “alignment.” Those coaches already knew his pros, but more importantly, his cons, and they were loyal.

*Herman's first year was the first red flag. Maybe even his first meeting was his first red flag. (Maybe even before that meeting when he allegedly drove his U of H loaner car to Austin and told them to come pick it up). When he stormed in and scolded a room full of players he would need to win, things didn’t get off on the right foot. He demanded respect rather than earning it. He'd preach being focused and locked in, but turn around and do something stupid. We’re not sure he ever really had the locker room, even after the Sugar Bowl win.

*He sort of approached the player’s families in the same way in his initial meeting with them. Numerous parents told us he was treating them like children.

*Charlie Strong’s 2015 class clearly dislikes Herman to this day. Many in that class are of the belief Herman and Yancy McKnight negatively impacted draft grades with NFL scouts and GM’s. One player put it to us in very different terms, “they messed with our money.” Maybe some of the players weren’t as good as they thought, but that’s not the point. Plus, some of them were drafted lower than they should have been. Herman had a chance to create allies and instead did the opposite. This ill-will filtered into the following recruiting class. Failure to create allies was a common theme with Herman. So if you’ve wondered where the vitriol on Twitter comes from...

*The man who publicly preached “family” was notorious for passing players in the hallway without any sort of acknowledgement. A few players would even say 'hi' with nothing in return. The players just stopped talking to him. If you weren't Sam Ehlinger or Bijan Robinson he didn’t have much time for you. You can see why the trilateral commission were smitten with Sarkisian’s use of ”authentic.” When Herman was hired we said you can only be Nick Saban or Urban Meyer if you win. He didn’t win and his demeanor bit him on the backside.

Imagine preaching family, but then when a player of yours is sick you call his house to not check up on him, but rather to see how his brother’s recruitment is going.

*Speaking of fake, some of the pregame altercations we saw over the years were staged in order to amp up the team. McKnight would ask a player who didn’t need to be asked twice — think someone like Chris Brown or Jeff McCulloch — to go peck a pregame fight.

*The inability to be genuine cost Herman on the recruiting trail. He wasn’t a terrible recruiter, but there were times he was too distant, and there were times he was too hands on. Two recruitments that stand out as Herman blunders were Noah Cain and Garrett Wilson. After putting in great work late in the Cain recruitment, Drayton and Herman had Cain all but locked up. At the last minute, Herman got antsy and hard-pressed when it wasn’t needed. He basically challenged Cain and in the process pushed him to Penn State.

Wilson’s recruitment was screwed up a couple of times, and Herman wasn’t aided by Drew Mehringer. Sidebar: An issue we heard about a handful of times was coaches using their current players as whipping boys. They’d show tape and talk down the current player to recruits. This was understandably off-putting, but it was consistent with Herman and McKnight talking down their players to the NFL. That upset Wilson, but there was also a time when Herman was... less than presentable around the parents. The Wilsons didn’t have a favorable impression of the head coach and a recruitment that should have been an easy layup was rejected to the rafters.

*Herman had a lot of embarrassing gaffes in his time in Austin. After he flipped off the LHN cameras the school got him an etiquette coach. It was funny a few months later when somebody in a thread here quipped that Tom looked more professional since that incident. Karen Hughes was earning her money... but she was no miracle worker.

*Meritocracy was absent for much of his time in Austin, especially on offense. Herman was notorious for playing his favorites, which should come as no surprise. It drove a wedge within the team when parents driving to Austin during game week to complain about playing time would actually influence playing time.

*There’s a feeling within the current team Herman started learning too little too late. He became more approachable this year. Mike Yurcich became the primary yeller in practice and Herman toned down some. Previously we wrote there were no good cops to offset Herman’s bad cop routine. That stemmed from Herman keeping yes-men around who were trying to act just like him. It seemed like Herman finally started to get it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 5:01 PM, TreatyOak said:
  • The players hated him

b23b9cc9-35a5-4e04-a2cd-2a49e7a97956-RBB

Don't necessarily buy that, least not the current ones.  If anything, at the end, they looked like they were playing for Herman.    They played with their hair on fire against Colorado.   Going through the motions would have been indicative of guys who hated their coach and wanted to tank.  They did the opposite. 

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Don't necessarily buy that, least not the current ones.  If anything, at the end, they looked like they were playing for Herman.    They played with their hair on fire against Colorado.   Going through the motions would have been indicative of guys who hated their coach and wanted to tank.  They did the opposite. 

I got the opposite read. Late in the game when some walkon/non-starter player got a touchdown or somesuch, Herman ran to the end zone to celebrate with the other players celebrating. He didn't appear to get any acknowledgement from any player that I recognized. Mostly only the scrubs were acknowledging and celebrating with Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I got the opposite read. Late in the game when some walkon/non-starter player got a touchdown or somesuch, Herman ran to the end zone to celebrate with the other players celebrating. He didn't appear to get any acknowledgement from any player that I recognized. Mostly only the scrubs were acknowledging and celebrating with Herman.

If so, they had some hellacious internal leadership amongst the players that kept them playing for something.   The (very) late-season performances looked like job-saving efforts for the coach, not to have him fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

That upset Wilson, but there was also a time when Herman was... less than presentable around the parents. The Wilsons didn’t have a favorable impression of the head coach and a recruitment that should have been an easy layup was rejected to the rafters

IT implying that Herman got into his G2 and Vodka during in-home visits?

Edited by UncleSonny

17 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Well, Bijan was one of his inner circle and a lot of the other guys were seeing significant playing time for the first time due to guys quitting before the game. So I'm not sure the bowl game or even K St.was a good measure. They sure as hell didn't play with their hair on fire several times during the year.

I doubt that he walked in and scolded them out of the blue and for no reason. Now that TH is not in a position to talk the vultures come out to pick the carcass. Same as it ever was.

I was with a firm that would replace management and shuffle the chairs and organization around. Every fng would come in thinking they could walk in give a tough speech and give us the one good push we needed to be more profitable and gain more market share. Then by month 2-3, they would realize there were systemic issues that came down to budgets above their pay-grade and lack of R&D to really get it turned around. This is my rambling about the private sector which in no way had to do with Texas football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I doubt that he walked in and scolded them out of the blue and for no reason. Now that TH is not in a position to talk the vultures come out to pick the carcass. Same as it ever was.

I think this was in reference to the first player’s meeting he had. It’s not vultures coming out now that he doesn’t have a voice. It was reported at the time that he came in yelling and cursing at them. I believe Malik took a heavy bit of that. Being one of the team leaders, that understandably pissed off a lot of players.

11 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That upset Wilson, but there was also a time when Herman was... less than presentable around the parents. The Wilsons didn’t have a favorable impression of the head coach and a recruitment that should have been an easy layup was rejected to the rafters

If true he should have been fired as soon as it was known.

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think this was in reference to the first player’s meeting he had. It’s not vultures coming out now that he doesn’t have a voice. It was reported at the time that he came in yelling and cursing at them. I believe Malik took a heavy bit of that. Being one of the team leaders, that understandably pissed off a lot of players.

Was he right?  Did they earn the yelling and cursing?  Was is Malik who fucked up, got called out, and then held a grudge for not liking they way the new boss kicked him off his pedestal? 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

*Speaking of fake, some of the pregame altercations we saw over the years were staged in order to amp up the team. McKnight would ask a player who didn’t need to be asked twice — think someone like Chris Brown or Jeff McCulloch — to go peck a pregame fight.

So wait, Tom and Yancy staged Bevo trying to kill Uga before the Sugar Bowl to hype up the team? That really is Mensa...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Thanks for your comment. I have lots of contacts currently on campus and they have told me that the players hated him. We were hearing these rumors even before this season. I wasn't in the locker room but I trust my sources. Since you referenced the Alamo Bowl, isn't it worth noting how many team captains thought so much of supporting Tom that they refused to even PLAY in the game? Now it appears that he wasn't terribly popular with CDC, the boosters, or anyone else.

Regardless, I'm glad that you are continuing this conversation because I think it is an important one. 

Thanks again.

Hermaqn-ANNCMENT.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just his immaturity and lack of decorum maybe? Not sure I'd make the leap to he was drunk during in-homes. But I don't know shit so maybe.

Chippy B shared a story on his show once about Tom's first trip to the Austin Country Club(?). Instead of dressing for the occasion, he rolled up looking like a frat boy going to an Umphrey's show.  Eschewed the course dress code, showed up in a rumpled t-shirt and cargo shorts toting a six pack and a pregame buzz. 

I'm guessing that's one of many stories about Herman that left quite an impression.

The other stuff in that IT article about the etiquette coach and Herman trying to change definitely rings true. Last summer  I noticed Herman went on that little PR tour, like that extended interview with Will Cain that got into some personal stuff. And access he gave to some of the Texas media guys. I got the sense he was trying to come off as more sociable and relatable and less of an aloof prick. 

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Was he right?  Did they earn the yelling and cursing?  Was is Malik who fucked up, got called out, and then held a grudge for not liking they way the new boss kicked him off his pedestal? 

Did a brief search, but couldn't find anything. From memory, the general consensus seemed to be that it was not warranted. Maybe others can clarify.

34 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Just his immaturity and lack of decorum maybe? Not sure I'd make the leap to he was drunk during in-homes. But I don't know shit so maybe.

Chippy B shared a story on his show once about Tom's first trip to the Austin Country Club(?). Instead of dressing for the occasion, he rolled up looking like a frat boy going to an Umphrey's show.  Eschewed the course dress code, showed up in a rumpled t-shirt and cargo shorts toting a six pack and a pregame buzz. 

I'm guessing that's one of many stories about Herman that left quite an impression.

The other stuff in that IT article about the etiquette coach and Herman trying to change definitely rings true. Last summer  I noticed Herman went on that little PR tour, like that extended interview with Will Cain that got into some personal stuff. And access he gave to some of the Texas media guys. I got the sense he was trying to come off as more sociable and relatable and less of an aloof prick. 

Yeah, the way it was phrased it feels like that is what they are hinting at but it's vague enough where it could mean anything really. If he did show up visibly tanked to a recruits home he likely would have been fired for cause earlier so you are probably right.

Closure

We’re going to post some things that underline why we had concerns about Tom Herman over the years. It may add some clarity to why others had issues with him, especially some former players.

We’re not going to share everything we know or attempt to confirm a salacious internet rumor you might have heard. We don’t care about that stuff beyond how it affected his performance or ability to win over the team.

*When Texas went to do its homework on Herman in 2016 it was ill-equipped for a proper undertaking. The people tasked with making the decision at the time weren’t aided by people close to Herman speaking openly and honestly about him. That is how he liked it and a reason why he kept a tight circle and embraced “alignment.” Those coaches already knew his pros, but more importantly, his cons, and they were loyal.

*Herman's first year was the first red flag. Maybe even his first meeting was his first red flag. (Maybe even before that meeting when he allegedly drove his U of H loaner car to Austin and told them to come pick it up). When he stormed in and scolded a room full of players he would need to win, things didn’t get off on the right foot. He demanded respect rather than earning it. He'd preach being focused and locked in, but turn around and do something stupid. We’re not sure he ever really had the locker room, even after the Sugar Bowl win.

*He sort of approached the player’s families in the same way in his initial meeting with them. Numerous parents told us he was treating them like children.

*Charlie Strong’s 2015 class clearly dislikes Herman to this day. Many in that class are of the belief Herman and McKnight negatively impacted draft grades with NFL scouts and GM’s. One player put it to us in very different terms, “they messed with our money.” Maybe some of the players weren’t as good as they thought, but that’s not the point. Plus, some of them were drafted lower than they should have been. Herman had a chance to create allies and instead did the opposite. This ill-will filtered into the following recruiting class. Failure to create allies was a common theme with Herman. So if you’ve wondered where the vitriol on Twitter comes from...

*The man who publicly preached “family” was notorious for passing players in the hallway without any sort of acknowledgement. A few players would even say 'hi' with nothing in return. The players just stopped talking to him. If you weren't Sam Ehlinger or Bijan Robinson he didn’t have much time for you. You can see why the trilateral commission were smitten with Sarkisian’s use of ”authentic.” When Herman was hired we said you can only be Nick Saban or Urban Meyer if you win. He didn’t win and his demeanor bit him on the backside.

Imagine preaching family, but then when a player of yours is sick you call his house to not check up on him, but rather to see how his brother’s recruitment is going.

*The inability to be genuine cost Herman on the recruiting trail. He wasn’t a terrible recruiter, but there were times he was too distant, and there were times he was too hands on. Two recruitments that stand out as Herman blunders were Noah Cain and Garrett Wilson. After putting in great work late in the Cain recruitment, Drayton and Herman, had Cain all but locked up. At the last minute, Herman got antsy, and hard-pressed when it wasn’t needed. He basically challenged Cain and in the process pushed him to Penn State.

Wilson’s recruitment was screwed up a couple of times, and Herman wasn’t aided by Drew Mehringer. Sidebar: An issue we heard about a handful of times was coaches using their current players as whipping boys. They’d show tape and talk down the current player to recruits. This was understandably off-putting, but it was consistent with Herman and McKnight talking down their players to the NFL. That upset Wilson, but there was also a time when Herman was... less than presentable around the parents. The Wilsons didn’t have a favorable impression of the head coach and a recruitment that should have been an easy layup was rejected to the rafters.

*Herman had a lot of embarrassing gaffes in his time in Austin. After he flipped off the LHN cameras the school got him an etiquette coach. It was funny a few months later when somebody in a thread here quipped that Tom looked more professional since that incident. Karen Hughes was earning her money... but she was no miracle worker.

*Meritocracy was absent for much of his time in Austin, especially on offense. Herman was notorious for playing his favorites, which should come as no surprise. It drove a wedge within the team when parents driving to Austin during game week to complain about playing time would actually influence playing time.

*There’s a feeling within the current team Herman started learning too little too late. He became more approachable this year. Mike Yurcich became the primary yeller in practice and Herman toned down some. Previously we wrote there were no good cops to offset Herman’s bad cop routine. That stemmed from Herman keeping yes-men around who were trying to act just like him. It seemed like Herman finally started to get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, RGBIII said:

Nope, all of this was known back in October. He was actively interviewing and pursuing candidates before and after he put that statement out. This was a pure attempt by CDC and FCB to make that statement not look that bad. Just a bold face lie that either FCB is in on or completely oblivious to. There is nothing new 

I don't get it.  The statement that CDC thought he was going to be permitted to stick around looks worse than the technically true statement that he made.  I suppose it's possible there were no good options for replacement at the time he made it, so he thought it might be true.

But that doesn't make sense in terms of Brown carrying water for Del Conte.

If you're talking about the CDC (Tom Herman is our coach) statement. I never took at (nor do I see in it) specific language as to how long Tom Herman is our coach. These statement come out all the time, and even though they are sometimes successful in quelling the level of speculation, they almost always have an extremely short shelf life. 

I tend to take things at face value, but with this kind of stuff you can't do that unless it says "Tom Herman will be our coach for the upcoming 2021 season". That's why your retirement and lawsuit documents look the way they do!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

I do remember seeing something from the Houston insiders that talked about Major's practices as more teaching and coaching and less yelling as compared to Tom's practices when the first spring practice was underway.

• Like 1

My nephew who was an intern last season(2019)said that Herman wasn’t really respected but thought of him as more of a pushover.

He also raved about Casey in practice and repeatedly said he looked like the best pure QB we had. I thought he was bullshitting.

So maybe he was right.

• Hook 'Em 2

I seem to recall that it was reported after the first team meeting Tom had when he was hired he said things to the effect of “you guys are the reason the other guy is gone and I’m here”.

I don’t recall talk of him lighting specific players up in that encounter but guess that is possible and my “quote” above is how that first encounter was sanitized to be presented to the masses.

10 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

If you're talking about the CDC (Tom Herman is our coach) statement. I never took at (nor do I see in it) specific language as to how long Tom Herman is our coach. These statement come out all the time, and even though they are sometimes successful in quelling the level of speculation, they almost always have an extremely short shelf life. 

I tend to take things at face value, but with this kind of stuff you can't do that unless it says "Tom Herman will be our coach for the upcoming 2021 season". That's why your retirement and lawsuit documents look the way they do!

That "statement" was such a painfully obvious Kiss Of Death that I weep that people lack more than the 3 or 4 neurons required to process it for what it was. It was worse than having said nothing, in that it all but confirmed he was going out. You don't release such a statement unless you're firing the guy in the first place; one so, shall we say, ham-fistedly carefully worded as that one was all the evidence we needed that Herman was done.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

That "statement" was such a painfully obvious Kiss Of Death that I weep that people lack more than the 3 or 4 neurons required to process it for what it was. It was worse than having said nothing, in that it all but confirmed he was going out. You don't release such a statement unless you're firing the guy in the first place; one so, shall we say, ham-fistedly carefully worded as that one was all the evidence we needed that Herman was done.

Following that statement, Erin Hogan on 104.9 the Horn was repeatedly saying on air that all it meant was that Herman was safe until the end of the season, and not a day after. As it has been stated here, it may have been just to keep recruits “aligned” through the first National Signing Day. The only people I ever saw who claimed it meant Herman was the coach thru the 2021 season were the YouTube posters. 

14 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

LOL remember the stupid Herman press conference following Flip-Off gate? He wore a jacket and tie and gave his stupid explanation that he was telling a story, not flipping off the LHN camera. Nothing says you’re trying to be look professional than dressing up in a really obvious way. I wonder if CDC had chewed his ass out.

How much would you pay to have heard his talk w CDC following the Eyes of Texas debacle? (which I still contend was a troll job by Sam)

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I seem to recall that it was reported after the first team meeting Tom had when he was hired he said things to the effect of “you guys are the reason the other guy is gone and I’m here”.

Charlie also said something similar. 

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Following that statement, Erin Hogan on 104.9 the Horn was repeatedly saying on air that all it meant was that Herman was safe until the end of the season, and not a day after. As it has been stated here, it may have been just to keep recruits “aligned” through the first National Signing Day. The only people I ever saw who claimed it meant Herman was the coach thru the 2021 season were the YouTube posters. 

also the mouth breathers on reddit r/LonghornNation, aka "the texags of ut"

• Hook 'Em 2