NY Times got tape of NFL owner-player anthem meeting

runthebone

Rules against silent, peaceful protest.  Man, what an awesome idea.  It's totally going to work.  Y'all chill.  They're going to fine the teams now when players act up.  And, if there's one thing that players care about, it's the owner's bottom line.

Seriously, they might as well have ended the memo with "Or else."

• Like 1

Imagine if the anthem wasn't sung before every fucking sporting event now.  Now, what if someone tried to introduce the idea that before EVERY goddamn game it would be sung?  It would be mercilessly mocked and ridiculed.  Baseball players hear it 162 times a year, NBA players 82....Jesus.  Eliminate the fucking song.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Rules against silent, peaceful protest.  Man, what an awesome idea.  It's totally going to work.  Y'all chill.  They're going to fine the teams now when players act up.  And, if there's one thing that players care about, it's the owner's bottom line.

Seriously, they might as well have ended the memo with "Or else."

Who said the players cannot be fined? It's up to the individual team whether to fine, suspend, or cut a player.

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Dumb move, the protesting would have went away on it's own.

How many guys are even protesting these days anyway?

every time this complete non-issue is about to go away someone goes and kicks the ant pile again.  have to keep the rage machine going

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

they are effecting a draconian solution to a problem that was organically going away on its own. that usually ends well

So you're saying Hitler, Stalin and the guys behind Starship Troopers were all wrong?  I mean the first two yeah but Starship Troopers

I think it is bad business to allow employees to take political stances, whether I agree with them or not, while they are in uniform and on the clock.  Be it football or any other business.
While I agree with that, the NFL decided to get involved in politics (to some degree) and social issues a long time ago. They brought all this on themselves..

I don't get the appeal of watching a bunch of rednecks hotrodding around in a circle all day. Would rather watch a 3 day cricket match.
I didn't either until a coworker lured me to a NASCAR race in FW, free tickets and parking.

It was actually pretty cool, like a 3 hour non-stop Pantera/Iron Maiden concert with a few spectacular crashes thrown in. (Our seats were on the infamous deadly corner before TMS reworked it and made it safer) Ear plugs are a must if you want to hear anything later in life.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

While we are at it...can we stop with the stupid God Bless America bullshit at baseball games during the stretch.

911 fake bullshit.

Enough.....it is supposed to be Take Me Out To The Ballgame damnit !

Harry Carey invented Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

NFL gets big bucks from the DOD for recruiting purposes.  Which is the real reason for this.  That's a large $ spigot.  The Cowboys game I went to last October was a de facto US military commercial.

I think that pipeline ended a couple of years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/11/04/report-at-least-50-teams-were-paid-by-department-of-defense-for-patriotic-displays/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7c6e16a854da

On 4/26/2018 at 12:11 AM, Rick Blaine said:

The streaker problem was solved when they refused to show any footage on television. Apparently, they took the same approach to the kneeling--just don't show it and pretend it isn't happening; maybe most of America will forget about it and it'll all go away. 

that's how it should be.

It's one thing to kneel, but it's quite another for the networks to show kneeling slappy 20 times during the anthem.

We got it motherfuckers...and those who are keeping score had more than ample opportunity to get everyone's name who knelt. You made fucking sure of it.

Personally, I still disagree with making anyone stand for the anthem. I feel that position is in direct opposition of what the anthem means/ represents. Adding the clause "but they can choose not to stand as long as they are out of sight"  doesn't do it for me.

14 minutes ago, Scholz said:

NFL gets big bucks from the DOD for recruiting purposes.  Which is the real reason for this.  That's a large $ spigot.  The Cowboys game I went to last October was a de facto US military commercial.

Honestly, this stuff is starting to get on my nerves too.

There's a threshhold out there for discreet advertising for recruiting and honorable memorials to our folks who serve.  I believe they are way past that.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:00 PM, Skipper said:

Really fucking lame for someone to sneak and then leak a recording of that.  

I disagree. If you say or do some shit, and worry that people will find out that you said or did that, you shouldn’t have and you should be exposed.

The owner’s entire approach is a huge fuck up, they deserve any personal blame and bad bullshit that stems from how they’re acting and what they’re saying.

Total power move on the players’ part. Kudos.

• Like 1

I think it's one of the better compromises given the situation. You don't have to be present for the anthem, the players aren't being fined, and it can get back some of the audience that does complain about the anthem protest.

Hopefully this saga is past us in order to focus on the actual issue. I really hope the NFLPA focuses on pushing the NFL to donate more money for community policing and supporting players beyond the field. Malcolm Jenkin wrote a fantastic piece about these next steps here in the Washington Post.

I think it is bad business to allow employees to take political stances, whether I agree with them or not, while they are in uniform and on the clock.  Be it football or any other business.
so,get rid of the anthem that is played before the players are actually on the clock. players get paid for the game. only.

problem solved....

Now they aren’t required. Per the new policy. I’ve been to hundreds of pro events starting when I was 4 years old in the early 80s.  Anthem played at everyone. And I remember athletes being present. 
Oilers.  Astros.  Texans.  Rockets.  Maybe they weren’t required. But they were there.  
you are not correct in your recollection...

2 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I disagree. If you say or do some shit, and worry that people will find out that you said or did that, you shouldn’t have and you should be exposed.

The owner’s entire approach is a huge fuck up, they deserve any personal blame and bad bullshit that stems from how they’re acting and what they’re saying.

I agree on the leak. Be accountable for what you say and stand for.

Disagree on the owners doing this. If it's in their best interest, they have a right to hand down rules to their employees, just.like every other private business or corporation in the U.S.

If actions of their employees are costing them money, it's their call since they invested their own money to buy their teams and pay their employees. 

I see your side, but it's a business and nothing more.

5 hours ago, Twizzler said:

Should the owners suspend concession operations during the anthem?  

I remember going to an Astros game about 10 years ago and was at the concession stand as the national anthem happened. The employees basically just sat down and used it as a break.

Chris Long is saying the League falls short on allowing peaceful protest?

The NFL has no obligation to enable or embrace your "peaceful protests."  If you disagree so strongly, find a more "supportive" workplace.

Make your political plays on your own time, bro.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

so,get rid of the anthem that is played before the players are actually on the clock. players get paid for the game. only.

problem solved....

Not true.

Ask BeastMode in the interview room.

See also: players lose money by not being at mandatory practices/ workouts.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I've generally been on the players side of this stupid debate, but that's a private business meeting someone leaked to the press.  That's bullshit and unprofessional.  Good luck getting the owners to sit down and have a dialogue again without FBI level security screening.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Right. They could be on the field if they wanted. Or not. Then the NFL went full-NASCAR in 2009 and started requiring players be on the field for the signing of the national anthem. 

Is this like a reenactment kind of thing like with a dude dressed up, or is evey player just writing "Francis Scott Key"? Seems like a logistical nightmare if the latter.

Edited by KYHorn

Not true.
Ask BeastMode in the interview room.

See also: players lose money by not being at mandatory practices/ workouts.

how much did he get paid to show up?

they only get paid for games.

they can be fined for things they have collectively agreed to... like missing practice or media... but the players didn't agree to a fine around the anthem.

however, teams will likely use 'detriment conduct' to fine players.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
5 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:
Who said the players cannot be fined? It's up to the individual team whether to fine, suspend, or cut a player.

it's up to the cba. not the teams.

Following a year of hand-wringing and disagreement inside the league’s ownership ranks, team owners approved a new measure on Wednesday that gives players the option of staying in the locker room during the national anthem if they don’t wish to stand during the ceremonies. Under the new rule, players who choose to be on the field during the anthem will be required to stand. If a player or team employee is on the field during the anthem and chooses not to stand, that player’s franchise will be fined by the NFL. In turn, players and employees who choose to attend the anthem ceremonies but do not stand will also be eligible for a fine by their franchise, if the team chooses to levy one.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfls-new-policy-national-anthem-players-can-fined-dont-stand-162017626.html

I don't know how the CBA factors into this, but I am going off of what has been reported.

I've generally been on the players side of this stupid debate, but that's a private business meeting someone leaked to the press.  That's bullshit and unprofessional.  Good luck getting the owners to sit down and have a dialogue again without FBI level security screening.  
the league plays chess... leaks it's own recording... that's the conspiracy I'm going to go with.

I think it's one of the better compromises given the situation. You don't have to be present for the anthem, the players aren't being fined, and it can get back some of the audience that does complain about the anthem protest.
Hopefully this saga is past us in order to focus on the actual issue. I really hope the NFLPA focuses on pushing the NFL to donate more money for community policing and supporting players beyond the field. Malcolm Jenkin wrote a fantastic piece about these next steps here in the Washington Post.

You really don’t get how protests work, do you. It’s not about not wanting to respect the flag. It’s about calling attention to a cause. The league just said “fuck your cause, shut up and stay away.” This is not a compromise.

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You really don’t get how protests work, do you. It’s not about not wanting to respect the flag. It’s about calling attention to a cause. The league just said “fuck your cause, shut up and stay away.” This is not a compromise.

They said, "You are costing us money so stay in the locker room if you'd like, and protest on your own time."

• Like 1