NY Times got tape of NFL owner-player anthem meeting

runthebone

Saw a tweet scroll by on espn from a player and last part was something like “and this decision made by people who call themselves owners”. Trying to I’m guessing draw parallels to slavery. 

They call themselves owners as they own the business they’re running. 

As owners they can establish whatever code of conduct they like. As part of a union they players can decide collectively to protest this decision and go on strike/walkout etc

barring that they set themselves up for fines,loss of work etc. 

challenge for players as shown in last collective bargaining round is they have such poor fiscal discipline and wherewithal that they can only hold out so long. The owners know this and can if need be play longer waiting game. 

11 hours ago, slorch said:

Chris Long is saying the League falls short on allowing peaceful protest?

The NFL has no obligation to enable or embrace your "peaceful protests."  If you disagree so strongly, find a more "supportive" workplace.

Make your political plays on your own time, bro.

Exactly. I have no issue with the NFL here. On Sundays with your uniform on, you are on the clock and getting paid. If you don’t want to participate in the anthem, no worries, stay in the locker room. They are not forcing you to participate.

It’s simple, an employer is requiring their employee to protest on their own time, not while on the clock and generating revenue. It directly costs them money.

Shit would be unacceptable for 90%of employees, but we need to provide even more special treatment for the incredibly spoiled athlete. 

Hey Chris Long, take a knee during the anthem at your sons little league game or any sports event you attend. As is your right. Otherwise shut the fuck up and do your job like everyone else. 

Such spoiled children. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Most people against kneeling don’t like the protest. Most people for the kneeling agree with the protest. If it was an issue on the other side of the political spectrum, these two sides would switch. 

Then there are people like me that think there should be no political activity while in uniform. Regardless of whether we agree with the politics.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Most people against kneeling don’t like the protest. Most people for the kneeling agree with the protest. If it was an issue on the other side of the political spectrum, these two sides would switch. 

Then there are people like me that think there should be no political activity while in uniform. Regardless of whether we agree with the politics.  

The fact that it aligns with youe politics is just happy coincindence?

I happen to think that everyone has a right to protest in this country, and employers have a right to inact a punishment. And, nothing would be more american than continued protests in spite of the fines. I think that is the far more patriotic result.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Exactly. I have no issue with the NFL here. On Sundays with your uniform on, you are on the clock and getting paid. If you don’t want to participate in the anthem, no worries, stay in the locker room. They are not forcing you to participate.

It’s simple, an employer is requiring their employee to protest on their own time, not while on the clock and generating revenue. It directly costs them money.

Shit would be unacceptable for 90%of employees, but we need to provide even more special treatment for the incredibly spoiled athlete. 

Hey Chris Long, take a knee during the anthem at your sons little league game or any sports event you attend. As is your right. Otherwise shut the fuck up and do your job like everyone else. 

Such spoiled children. 

The players can do whatever the hell they want during the anthem, and I don't care.  It's their right.

The NFL can mandate whatever the hell they want about the anthem, and I don't care.  It's their right.

But elected officials should not be pressuring private citizens or companies to take a stance on this issue either way.  Forced allegiance to the flag is the type of shit our forefathers ran from.  

This issue would have died off naturally months ago if those in office had kept their goddamn mouths shut.

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

I find this more offensive than any protest/objection to said protest.

• Like 2

When the law of society plays out, and it will, might will be right and I will be on the side of those who have a genuine pride of our anthem.

The idea these 'protesters' will storm a hill so as to kneel next to a faux muzzlim is laughable.  Like, not paying to see them do it at work.

• Fuck You 5

13 hours ago, slorch said:

Chris Long is saying the League falls short on allowing peaceful protest?

The NFL has no obligation to enable or embrace your "peaceful protests."  If you disagree so strongly, find a more "supportive" workplace.

Make your political plays on your own time, bro.

Fuck you, old man.  The tiny-fingered vulgarian made this political.  All the players wanted was to call attention the inordinate number of black men being murdered by the police.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

They were protesting police brutality against black people, not soldiers or the country.  Forced patriotism doesn't work anyway.

The "disrespecting the flag" issue is used to take attention away from that so that we don't have to address it and talk about it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, angryhomer said:

Fuck you, old man.  The tiny-fingered vulgarian made this political.  All the players wanted was to call attention the inordinate number of black men being murdered by the police.

Really?  Then why the Che Guivera shirt on Kap?

Chris Long can go drown himself in all of his white guilt.  The protesters are not being patriotic or demonstrating a bigger love of America by stirring shit up. While one has the right to free speech, that does not extend to the workplace.  

If I heard them proposing true solutions, I could see a real discussion occurring.  Otherwise, they are just bitching.  Police brutality is an absolute issue to be adressed.  The very fact that they can bring it up is proof that America still works.  It is not broken as they propose.

Can we get better?  Without a doubt.  Let’s talk solutions for alleged black opression in the 2010’s...

The old NFL would just tell the networks to stop reporting it and putting cameras on the guys kneeling.  Keep the issue confined to twitter, so all the slorch's of the world don't have clouds to yell at.  They made ESPN's Playmakers completely disappear forever.  They don't have that clout with the networks anymore.

8 minutes ago, Scholz said:

They were protesting police brutality against black people, not soldiers or the country.  Forced patriotism doesn't work anyway.

Then they need to communicate a whole hellova lot more clearly, because the message is muddled as can be.  Maybe that is by design.

I agree with your 2nd sentence whole heartedly.  While I disagree with some of what the players are doing, I strongly disagree with making them stand for the anthem.

How long will be before there’s a conflict with a coaching staff or the press because a player did or did not go out on the field for the anthem or stay in the lockeroom?  Yeah, dumbass Tomlin, I’m looking at you.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Then they need to communicate a whole hellova lot more clearly, because the message is muddled as can be.  Maybe that is by design.

I agree with your 2nd sentence whole heartedly.  While I disagree with some of what the players are doing, I strongly disagree with making them stand for the anthem.

How long will be before there’s a conflict with a coaching staff or the press because a player did or did not go out on the field for the anthem or stay in the lockeroom?  Yeah, dumbass Tomlin, I’m looking at you.

They have been crystal clear on what the message is.  It's not their fault that you and your like cannot comprehend what they are saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Saw a tweet scroll by on espn from a player and last part was something like “and this decision made by people who call themselves owners”. Trying to I’m guessing draw parallels to slavery. 

They call themselves owners as they own the business they’re running. 

As owners they can establish whatever code of conduct they like.

No, they actually can't, because code of conduct is subject to the collective bargaining the owners and the NFLPA have agreed to. 

(This change does seem like it could possibly fit into the nebulous "conduct detrimental to the... public confidence in the National Football League" clause in the CBA.)

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

They have been crystal clear on what the message is.  It's not their fault that you and your like cannot comprehend what they are saying.

Wrong.  Kap was not and he has been inconsistent as hell.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Really?  Then why the Che Guivera shirt on Kap?

Chris Long can go drown himself in all of his white guilt.  The protesters are not being patriotic or demonstrating a bigger love of America by stirring shit up. While one has the right to free speech, that does not extend to the workplace.  

If I heard them proposing true solutions, I could see a real discussion occurring.  Otherwise, they are just bitching.  Police brutality is an absolute issue to be adressed.  The very fact that they can bring it up is proof that America still works.  It is not broken as they propose.

Can we get better?  Without a doubt.  Let’s talk solutions for alleged black opression in the 2010’s...

Who fucking cares what he was wearing.  And it's pretty easy to see how willfully ignorant you are by butchering the name so well.  And fuck your real solutions.  That is just bullshit rhetoric you're mimicking from Faux News.  They have offered real solutions, like meeting with police departments and politicians to come up with new policies to stem the police violence.  But instead, the cocksucker-in-chief tweets out lies and you just eat it up.  And don't contradict yourself, old man.  You said the they can still bring it up while lamenting that they shouldn't be able to protest.  Patriotism is the last refuge for the scoundrel.

Finally, I'd like to point out your 2010's comment.  White men have been brutalizing black men in this country for 400 years.   Don't make it sound like this is a new problem.  You're just dripping with white privilege.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

I love this bullshit comment that the "players are bringing attention to police brutality."

Hey FUCKHEADS, what exactly is Roger Goodell supposed to do about racism in America? Seriously, what the fuck is he supposed to do? Does Goodell have some god-like power that I am not aware of? Is Goodell the person standing between peace, harmony and goodwill towards humanity?

That's the biggest issue with this stupid protest, it has no definition of what good looks like. Fewer black people died by police in 2017 than in 2016, is that better? Police numbers are down across the board in this country, is that what good looks like? 

If you want to protest police, why not use any one of the days in the 7 months you have off to protest at a police station? Did any NFL player protest the Sacramento police shooting? Give me a fucking break. The entire protest is about the person doing it, not the movement. The movement is in Milwaukee where Sterling Brown was unfairly arrested and tased, not on a field while some anthem plays.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, slorch said:

No the message has been crystal clear since day 1. Everybody knows this so I’m not sure why you are purposely trying to say the message has been convoluted.

Edited by Pancho Negro
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TSipper said:

If you want to protest police, why not use any one of the days in the 7 months you have off to protest at a police station? 

Respectfully I think that's the point.  They're using their platform where they have a voice.  A league incidentally that is made up of 70% black people so one could argue it's very pertinent and relevant there.

Edited by Scholz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Wrong.  Kap was not and he has been inconsistent as hell.

August 2016

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game.

September 2016

Kaepernick said the killing on Friday of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher by police in Tulsa was emblematic of the issues  he is protesting against. 

"This is a perfect example of what this is about," Kaepernick told reporters.

September 2016

Despite the inevitable backlash, Kaepernick says he is “going to continue to stand with the people that are being oppressed. To me, this is something that has to change, and when there’s significant change – and I feel like that flag represents what it’s supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way it’s supposed to – I’ll stand.”

January 2018

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick has completed his pledge to donate $1 million to charities that serve oppressed communities across the nation. 

January 2018

The camp "is a free campaign for youth fully funded by Colin Kaepernick to raise awareness on higher education, self empowerment, and instruction to properly interact with law enforcement in various scenarios," 

Where's the inconsistency?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Respectfully I think that's the point.  They're using their platform where they have a voice.  A league incidentally that is made up of 70% black people so one could argue it's very pertinent and relevant there.

So, you believe it's the owners responsibility to provide the players with a platform in which to protest something that the owners and the league have ZERO control over? If that's your standard, do you take a knee before you walk into work everyday in protest of police brutality at your place of business that has ZERO power to change such things?

Show me where it says that the NFL is obligated to give the players a platform to do anything on their time and I will agree with you. Right now, the NFL has taken the stance that the players can do whatever they want (see Michael Bennett's racist police rant in Las Vegas that the NFL stood behind despite the fact that he lied) just not on game day. Do you believe the NFL doesn't have the power to regulate what happens on game day? Does your place of business have the power to regulate what happens when you're at work or not?

Colin Kaepernick made $43 million dollars playing in the NFL. That's more money than 99.9% of the people in this country will see in their lifetime. He was a nobody coming out of Nevada Reno who used a combination of his personal talent and the NFL's over-importance in this society to create a platform for himself that nobody on this board will ever have. But the NFL is wrong to want to regulate that on game day? 

Unbelievable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Respectfully I think that's the point.  They're using their platform where they have a voice.  A sport incidentally that is 70% black people so one could argue it's very pertinent and relevant there.

Its not their platform.  That's what's relevant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TSipper said:

So, you believe it's the owners responsibility to provide the players with a platform in which to protest something that the owners and the league have ZERO control over? If that's your standard, do you take a knee before you walk into work everyday in protest of police brutality at your place of business that has ZERO power to change such things?

Show me where it says that the NFL is obligated to give the players a platform to do anything on their time and I will agree with you. Right now, the NFL has taken the stance that the players can do whatever they want (see Michael Bennett's racist police rant in Las Vegas that the NFL stood behind despite the fact that he lied) just not on game day. Do you believe the NFL doesn't have the power to regulate what happens on game day? Does your place of business have the power to regulate what happens when you're at work or not?

Colin Kaepernick made $43 million dollars playing in the NFL. That's more money than 99.9% of the people in this country will see in their lifetime. He was a nobody coming out of Nevada Reno who used a combination of his personal talent and the NFL's over-importance in this society to create a platform for himself that nobody on this board will ever have. But the NFL is wrong to want to regulate that on game day? 

Unbelievable.

Did he say that? The nfl can fine someone if it wants. The players can protest regardless. The players have the platform, but using it may come with consequences. And nothing is more american than continuing to protest in spite of the consequences. I dont know why this is so hard to understand. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, TSipper said:

Unbelievable.

I understand your viewpoint.  No, I don't think it's the NFL's responsibility to be social activists.  No, I'm too old to be kneeling a lot.  The NFL absolutely has the right to do as they see fit as a private employer.  I was just trying to address why they do it during the season and not offseason.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:57 AM, Hurtlocker said:

Nope, not alone.   I'm actually more irritated that this is the shit we choose to be mad about.   People are stupid.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, Armybrat said:

I used to tune in to watch football games, not political/social protests. Don't bother to watch it anymore.

Love that these were posted back to back.

• Haha 1

Been to about 10 nfl games in my life.

Glad I’ve never paid a single dollar out of my pocket for those tickets.

I vow to never pay for an NFL ticket.

I’ve got some cowboys gear, but have always used an employee discount from someone I know to obtain gear at 50% off. Makes me feel somewhat good.

Fuck the nfl and most of the nfl owners.

18 minutes ago, TSipper said:

Unbelievable.

Dead on balls accurate. Do you go to your sales meeting with clients but have them take a brief pause so you can tell them about your protest?  It’s laughable how these grow men act like children, but are treated accordingly. 

I 100% agree with their protest platform and I 100% agree with the NFL decision to keep it off company time but support them in whatever they choose on their own time. Don’t protest on the clock or don’t pick up your game check. Then we will see how real their convictions are. 

They are hurting the business that has no responsibility for the issue and the same company that makes you relevant to have your opinion heard  in the first place.  It doesn’t help that they chose the dumbest form of protest that has to be explained with a paragraph to be understood  not surprising given those involved  it was the most visible way to draw attention to himself and the fact the team was getting rid of him.  Also, watching him throw a football is an abortion  

Its been about drawing attention to the individual the whole time, not the cause.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Why does it matter how much Colin Kaepernick made in his career? He worked hard to get to the NFL and was compensated fairly for someone in his position.

I agree, he did. But it's not like he made that money curing cancer. He did it as an entertainer who had a message that a certain, non-football watching segment of society that hates Trump (and Trump has done things to be hated, for sure) and not as a person sleeping on couches in Birmingham. The NFL has the right to do what they did and I believe that as someone who doesn't think they should even have the national anthem before non-National team events.

Quick question for all of you who support kneeling, if a player takes a knee and holds up a "God hates Gays" sign protesting the legality of gay marriage in America, would you be OK with that? Would you support that person's right to protest and take a knee? If not, why not?

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Free speech is every American's platform.  That doesn't mean there won't be consequences.  But they can say and do what they want.

Exactly, which is subject of this thread.  The NFL is losing money and want to make business changes.  The consequences of the workers stealing time and entertainment from their customers who PAID PAID PAID to see a game.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Strange how CBS and Fox televise the national anthem now.  In the past, the viewer at home couldn't be bothered to listen to the national anthem except for the Super Bowl.  People at home seem to forget they never stood up at their house for the anthem in the past.  Instead they were on their couch listening to the pre-game.

• Like 1