Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 hours ago, Richter said:

Adios, enjoy your new board

That board has no fucking idea the level of banal, insipid, voluminous word vomit it is about to be blitzed with, and I hope someone posts a screenshot of their reactions. 

In regard to the actual staff stuff, Lupoi and Sark have obviously worked together before, but they’re not exactly buddies. I hope he’s a guy Sarkisian brings in, but I worry that’s more hope than reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Don't want the current steelers OL coach.. They have regressed since Munchak left a couple seasons ago 

You sure?

Best pass protect stats in the league..solid 2+ yards before contact for the starting rb connor

Edited by pacman

42 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

That great white sark account is bad, which is a bummer because we deserve good parody.

Friendly fire, man. But, yeah, he's hopefully still finding his voice there

Edited by KYHorn

As Sark puts together his staff, he will likely have one big advantage vs Strong and Herman. 

People always say that the downfall of Herman and Strong is the fact they brought in weak staffs. It was, but people seem to believe it’s because they just made bad hiring decisions. It’s much more than that.

Great coaches won’t go to work for someone who they believe isn’t good for their career. Strong and Herman weren’t respected enough in the coaching community to draw top talent, despite working for a top destination school with the biggest budget. 

Think about that for a second. They were so weak, even the massive appeal and resources of Texas didn’t solve the issue. It’s how we ended up with Tim Beck, Shawn Watson, etc. 

Sark, on the other hand, should be a big draw. The only caveat is the drinking problem. If he really hasn’t addressed it, then the talent won’t follow him here. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

@closetojumping and @SydneyCarton are pretty influential, and they’re both aggressively promoting Brian Cushing for the job.

On one hand that guy can forever get fucked and I’d rather have the reanimated corpse of Peter Cushing in the role...on the other hand we know he had access to the best roids. 

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As Sark puts together his staff, he will likely have one big advantage vs Strong and Herman. 

People always say that the downfall of Herman and Strong is the fact they brought in weak staffs. It was, but people seem to believe it’s because they just made bad hiring decisions. It’s much more than that.

Great coaches won’t go to work for someone who they believe isn’t good for their career. Strong and Herman weren’t respected enough in the coaching community to draw top talent, despite working for a top destination school with the biggest budget

Think about that for a second. They were so weak, even the massive appeal and resources of Texas didn’t solve the issue. It’s how we ended up with Tim Beck, Shawn Watson, etc. 

Sark, on the other hand, should be a big draw. The only caveat is the drinking problem. If he really hasn’t addressed it, then the talent won’t follow him here. 

For Herman at least I think it had less to do with not being able to draw top talent and more to do with an unwillingness to work with anyone outside of his bubble.  He needed the culture fit (or so he thought) and didn't really consider anyone outside of the group that brought him success at UH.   But I do sort of agree with you that Herman probably wouldn't have drawn that top talent even if he wanted to.  I posted elsewhere that one of Herman's issues is that he had grinded away at smaller profile schools and didn't have the same level of colleague as someone like Sark who had worked at high profile schools or the NFL his entire career.

I think Strong tried to bring in what he thought was a 'top staff' - he was just clueless.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

@closetojumping and @SydneyCarton are pretty influential, and they’re both aggressively promoting Brian Cushing for the job.

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

On one hand that guy can forever get fucked and I’d rather have the reanimated corpse of Peter Cushing in the role...on the other hand we know he had access to the best roids. 

I was going to make a joke about wanting to pull Boyd Epley’s corpse from the dustbin and fire up the Nebraska livestock growth hormone injection work from the 80’s/90’s into the program. Then I looked him up and that dude is alive and just fucking retired from Nebraska last summer. Nevermind. 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I understand what you’re saying, here...However, I certainly hope that this was topic 1A that del Conte covered with Sark’s Agent,  Saban and Byrne.  If not...Lord help us...

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The only caveat is the drinking problem. If he really hasn’t addressed it, then the talent won’t follow him here.

The word is he has been a good boy and realizes the enormity of how fucked up he was. Seems he might have liked nose clams also and that made the drinking explode and led to some of the most dramatic public shit. Who knows tho, that’s all that’s all 3rd hand info.

Fuck it, he seems to have his shit together and UT fans are going to have to just take it one day at a time like he does.

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

The word is he has been a good boy and realizes the enormity of how fucked up he was. Seems he might have liked nose clams also and that made the drinking explode and led to some of the most dramatic public shit. Who knows tho, that’s all that’s all 3rd hand info.

Fuck it, he seems to have his shit together and UT fans are going to have to just take it one day at a time like he does.

I did like hearing that he goes to meetings or talks to sponsors every day to keep working on it and keeping those demons behind him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

He knows this is his last chance to be a head coach.  If he screws this up the best he can hope for is a coordinator position. 

10 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I mean, it most certainly is NOT all 3rd hand information. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Rewatching the initial press briefing CDC’s comments about the staff have me thinking it’s mostly in place. Just some final touches are needed. 

I don't see how you say you are excited about the staff unless you already have some handshake agreements with some exciting guys. Unless you're an amateur and are just getting excited because a guy threw out some long shot names in a job interview.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

It's important but message boards over blow it. 

I think this played a role in that...

7 hours ago, maninblack said:

There's at least 10 positions Sark is worried about before S&C. 

Show us on the doll where the strength and conditioning coach touched you.  Maybe coordinators, but not 10 positions.  I think S&C is more important than you know.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I did like hearing that he goes to meetings or talks to sponsors every day to keep working on it and keeping those demons behind him. 

Isn't Saban one of the first big "Process" guys.  I heard Sark allude to that in the presser a couple times if I recall.  Seems like dealing with addiction also kind of falls into that category of just trusting the process, going about your business and then the end results (winning, or staying sober) will just be the byproduct.  Hopefully for him personally, and the team, he'll be successful with both.  I just hope his process is a bit different from Jason Garrett's process.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GTX Horn said:

B&E here in Austin just mentioned bringing back Akina as DC if Sark doesn’t keep Ash

LOL, nope.  DB coach, sure!  DC... no thank you.  We already tried that experiment and it failed miserably.  Muschamp took that same defense and turned them into a top 5 squad the next year.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Nose clams??

i like mine fried.

Edited by TexasTroll

My cautious optimism about the staff assembly comes from CDC’s comments about part of the reason he was targeted was the vision for the staff he would bring.  Hamilton did not just pull those names out of his ass, presumably and most of those first names indicated a coach who understood what needed to be done. The three coaches we have to upgrade are OL, DB and WR.  I know we talk about Hand a lot for good reason but I haven’t seen a more pathetic position group in my lifetime watching Texas football than our wide receivers this year. That group has to perform better next year. And recruiting was just as disastrous as OL this year at the position. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My cautious optimism about the staff assembly comes from CDC’s comments about part of the reason he was targeted was the vision for the staff he would bring.  Hamilton did not just pull those names out of his ass, presumably and most of those first names indicated a coach who understood what needed to be done. The three coaches we have to upgrade are OL, DB and WR.  I know we talk about Hand a lot for good reason but I haven’t seen a more pathetic position group in my lifetime watching Texas football than our wide receivers this year. That group has to perform better next year. And recruiting was just as disastrous as OL this year at the position. 

Agreed, the names came out too quickly to not have already have them either lined up or damn near

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, XYZ said:

Is Ash really that good? I feel like after Manny _iaz and To__ Orlan_o, we are just happy that our defense under Ash didn’t have huge schematic holes that get exploited over and over by the other teams, but statistically speaking this year’s defense wasn’t very good at anything.

I feel like he is good.  But in this day in age in college football, you have to realize elite defensive minds with elite staffs still get their asses lit up.  Alabama this year can be had on defense.  A hot QB with good skill talent in a good scheme will light up the score board on certain days.

Find me a college DC who has to coach against spread offenses that doesn't occasionally get taken.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, XYZ said:

Is Ash really that good? I feel like after Manny _iaz and To__ Orlan_o, we are just happy that our defense under Ash didn’t have huge schematic holes that get exploited over and over by the other teams, but statistically speaking this year’s defense wasn’t very good at anything.

I feel like he is good.  But in this day in age in college football, you have to realize elite defensive minds with elite staffs still get their asses lit up.  Alabama this year can be had on defense.  A hot QB with good skill talent in a good scheme will light up the score board on certain days.

Find me a college DC who has to coach against spread offenses that doesn't occasionally get taken.

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

No thanks. Fresh start. Don't bring in old retread coaches.

The Akina era cemented us as DBU so i would hardly call him a retread.  He's older so it should be questioned if he has the fire/energy to recruit at the level we need but there is no doubt he would be the best DB coach we have had since he left.  He's no dc.

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

The advanced stats say the most important thing right now is big play scoring. The rules and etc have changed so much to favor offenses you have to take advantage of any chance you can get to score. Letting the foot off the gas just allows your opponents to stay in the game. Throttling a team from start to finish and not getting conservative is the key going forward in football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The Akina era cemented us as DBU so i would hardly call him a retread.  He's older so it should be questioned if he has the fire/energy to recruit at the level we need but there is no doubt he would be the best DB coach we have had since he left.  He's no dc.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth with how he handled Diaz.

Also, he was an awful DC.

I would much rather move on from any Mack coordinators outside of Muschamp (which looks like it won't happen anyway).

• Hook 'Em 1

The role of a defense in modern football is to get enough stops so that your offense can win the game for you. The days of 9-6 contests are largely over unless you play in the Big Ten.

At a place like Texas, we can probably expect a defense to produce winning efforts the majority of the time by putting elite athletes in a position to win through fundamentally sound coaching in a sensible base scheme (with opponent adjustments built in as always). The big matchups are where the elite DCs make their bones by understanding that you win the game by minimizing the advantages of offenses who get their athletes one on one in space.

I think Ash mastered that first part this year but it's still TBD on the second.

• Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The advanced stats say the most important thing right now is big play scoring. The rules and etc have changed so much to favor offenses you have to take advantage of any chance you can get to score. Letting the foot off the gas just allows your opponents to stay in the game. Throttling a team from start to finish and not getting conservative is the key going forward in football. 

That seems right to me at least intuitively (I don't know the stats).