Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I said when we hired him that Boulware is an asshole. I had dealings with him when he was recruiting for OU, and he was unrepentant about his assholishness.

It's OK to be an asshole when you have other redeeming qualities. Boulware never impressed me.

You are an OU bagman? That explains so much. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Sarkisian isn't officially hired until the 7 day posting period which began when Texas officially fired Herman on Saturday.

This has been addressed on the board (might have even been this thread) and confirmed to not be the case - the posting period doesn't apply to this position and the only gating item to Sark being "officially hired" is the BOR rubber stamping the deal. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You and I can both hope it was brainstorming. Sure, go with that.

I hated the Valai hire for reasons I stated above in this thread and elsewhere. I'm comfortable stating that I was absolutely correct in that being a useless, idiotic hire that could not be justified, and never will be.

I disliked the Ash hire because I didn't view it was a case of going out and getting the best candidate. Herman went out and got another guy he was comfortable with, and that wasn't the right answer. Ash did fine, but I didn't expect disaster. Ash is a mediocre to poor recruiter, a terrible evaluator of staff talent, and not an incredibly bright guy. He does know defense. If he's surrounded by guys that he didn't get to make the hiring choice on, and those guys can recruit, he's fine as a DC. Note: that's how it worked for him at Ohio State.

I don't think I've been miserable, or felt that way, about Sarkisian. On the surface, I've viewed it as a terrible fucking hire. This job ages the clean and sober and overwhelms the ill-prepared. In Sarkisian's first two HC stints, he was never sober and was renowned for being ill-prepared. Now I'm supposed to believe he'll be the right man for the job at this fucking place? Okay, sure. So what have I done? I've put all of my stock into who he hires as a supporting staff. The rest of the shit we're supposed to buy into is hollow trash spewed by the unwashed and naive.

I don't give one fuck if he has an endorsement from Nick Saban. Nick Saban is a sociopath without a conscience or a vague sense of empathy. He's looking at people as robots because he is a robot. If the robot stays in its lane and produces numbers, Nick Saban will endorse it. I'm guessing he'd endorse Keurig as enthusiastically as he'll endorse Steve Sarkisian or AFLAC.

I'm supposed to believe that this guy's sobriety is as solid as an oak? Well, oak trees have weak root systems and they're the first trees to go during droughts and hurricanes. So goes most addicts' sobriety when tested by the white hot heat of 1000 suns within the first five years of their journey. So no, fuck faith in that too.

So what is left to have faith in? I'll bet everything on my end on the staff and support staff, and I don't need every hire to be glorious in my own mind. Just show us hopeful signs and a couple of slam dunks. That's not miserable, that's reality. 

Regarding the crowdsourcing of power to influence ADs notion, I literally am working on a business plan for that. I need some other businesses to find their footing, and I need to figure out how to make it okay to money with it or get comfortable with the premise of a non-profit for such purposes. I vetted an executive summary with one of the decisionmakers in a large UT money family this spring and they thought it could have legs.

No one is lynching Sarkisian yet. But the motherfucker needs to get his staff right from the jump. The Stoops stuff wasn't just $9.95er nonsense. Those guys had no interest in immediately angering their base with the Stoops stuff. What they did by releasing it, however, is a service to the rest of us as it spurred a real discussion with the powers that be.

I think you're off on your analysis of Sarkisian, alcohol addiction, football coaching, and chance of relapse.

Relapse is a possibility for any alcoholic of any period of sobriety.  But he's been in a high-stress environment pretty much non-stop since drying out.  He's made the time he needs to make to devote to his recovery.  Is it possible that he will relapse?  Sure.  Is it because he's HFC at Texas, probably not.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

I sort of feel the same way about Brewster. The talent he helped bring Mack was incredible and his role in Vince alone gives him a lifetime pass but he's 60 years old and full in mercenary mode of taking a new job every 12 months. I don't know how much of a teacher he's ever been, and is he still the rainmaker in recruiting to justify a spot on Sark's first staff? 

I'd like him if only track the evolution of what conference is most lit and 🔥 via his Twitter. Believe it will have gone ACC -> SEC -> ACC -> SEC -> Big 12 if it were to happen.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think you're off on your analysis of Sarkisian, alcohol addiction, football coaching, and chance of relapse.

Relapse is a possibility for any alcoholic of any period of sobriety.  But he's been in a high-stress environment pretty much non-stop since drying out.  He's made the time he needs to make to devote to his recovery.  Is it possible that he will relapse?  Sure.  Is it because he's HFC at Texas, probably not.

I agree.  I don't know if they were both admitted alcoholics, but Ann Richards and George W. Bush quit drinking and held two pretty stressful jobs without crashing and burning.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Yes please to Odom.    But would prolly mean no Hutzler

Maybe. He coaches safeties at piggy. Coached LBs as Mizzou DC but was a safety coach there prior to promotion to DC. I have no idea if he’d keep Hutzler but he could theoretically retain him and coach safeties.

Muschamp turned the job down, eh?  Just because of "timing?"  From what I understand, his actual signed contract with Scar had no mitigation language, so I guess he doesn't have to find a new job anyway.  Otherwise, also heard he was going to Georgia but don't know if that was someone with any knowledge of anything.

Odom might be ok, I don't know if he ever was the one responsible for hiring staff under him at Memphis or Missouri as a DC, although he inherited a mess as head coach at Mizzou after the strikes.  The defense did trend up after that though.

1 minute ago, El Hornarino said:

Muschamp turned the job down, eh?  Just because of "timing?"  From what I understand, his actual signed contract with Scar had no mitigation language, so I guess he doesn't have to find a new job anyway.  Otherwise, also heard he was going to Georgia but don't know if that was someone with any knowledge of anything.

Odom might be ok, I don't know if he ever was the one responsible for hiring staff under him at Memphis or Missouri as a DC, although he inherited a mess as head coach at Mizzou after the strikes.  The defense did trend up after that though.

It was reported earlier that his contract at SCAR calls for him to get 15 million over 3 years.  It seems that both sides are looking for a 1 time cash settlement, and that's being negotiated now.   I don't know that any of the above is correct, but those were the reports. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Odom is a very good DC, and it would be useful to have former head coaches in the room.

Would also completely lock down East Texas recruiting, not thats the most important part of the state but doesnt hurt

Edited by RGBIII
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

It was reported earlier that his contract at SCAR calls for him to get 15 million over 3 years.  It seems that both sides are looking for a 1 time cash settlement, and that's being negotiated now.   I don't know that any of the above is correct, but those were the reports. 

A998DC6A-09A7-46A9-B358-CDBA5A0BEA3E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5