Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Read a little of the USC message board and they also hate Sark like the Husky folks. They say he got fired for being a lazy ass at Oakland. Then they start talking about how Tom could be their savior to the problems they have on offense. I bet if we posted that Herman has been nicknamed Turtle Tom they would disregard our knowledge as I am sure folks here will disregard their hatred for Sark. Such comments on other boards make Sarkisian is a  puzzling hire, I am starting to believe The Horn argument that Sarkisian was far down the list and we got NO's from Urban, Kelly, Campbell and Mullen.

things-that-make-you-go-hmmm.jpg

Here's a thing that makes me go "hmmm:" evaluating the decision based on anonymous message board posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Read a little of the USC message board and they also hate Sark like the Husky folks. They say he got fired for being a lazy ass at Oakland. Then they start talking about how Tom could be their savior to the problems they have on offense.

Like they want to fire Helton and replace him with Herman? Or they want to fire Harrell and Herman as OC? Either way, lol.

It would be pretty funny if Herman and Orlando got the gang back together in LA though. I bet Meh and Meekins are rested, tan, and ready to join.

• Hook 'Em 1

Read a little of the USC message board and they also hate Sark like the Husky folks. They say he got fired for being a lazy ass at Oakland. Then they start talking about how Tom could be their savior to the problems they have on offense. I bet if we posted that Herman has been nicknamed Turtle Tom they would disregard our knowledge as I am sure folks here will disregard their hatred for Sark. Such comments on other boards make Sarkisian is a  puzzling hire, I am starting to believe The Horn argument that Sarkisian was far down the list and we got NO's from Urban, Kelly, Campbell and Mullen.

things-that-make-you-go-hmmm.jpg

Sarkisian showed up to USC games, practice, and booster events hammered and had to be fired mid-season. It would frankly be unbelievable if that fanbase didn't have bad things to say about him.

• Hook 'Em 8

21 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I generally don't hear anything, but a friend in the sports media community told me he had heard that Tulsa CB coach Aaron Fletcher is a possibility.  I turned around and asked another sports media member who said he had heard the name mentioned in passing but doesn't think he's on the short list.  FWIW, likely nothing.

Mike Roach mentioned Fletcher in his potential assistant coaches list...  (See Below thanks @Teryor )

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

It's possible that Sark wasn't our first choice???  Fuck it then, let's rehire Herb Hand...

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Herman said multiple times that Yancy was "his guy" that he wanted to help build his program.  Since we've seen that to be true with the bromance those two have for each other, I'm so glad he's out.

IIRC, he used the term "soul mate."

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Sarkisian showed up to USC games, practice, and booster events hammered and had to be fired mid-season. It would frankly be unbelievable if that fanbase didn't have bad things to say about him.

This. Even if Herman goes on a 5 year journey of self-discovery and becomes an elite coach and lands at USC or something, most Texas fans aren't going to be saying good things about him.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Like they want to fire Helton and replace him with Herman? Or they want to fire Harrell and Herman as OC? Either way, lol.

It would be pretty funny if Herman and Orlando got the gang back together in LA though. I bet Meh and Meekins are rested, tan, and ready to join.

fire Harrell

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Having watched those defenses week in and out at the time, pre sec sec sec, they really weren't as good as people thought/remember. (Watched not as a fan of missouri, but of the conference opponents coming in in general. When they flipped their shit and actually left, I cancelled my tix.)

I'm not saying the guy is complete trash, just not what I would expect to work here. Maybe I'm wrong on what the potential results would be, but I'm not so sure on that.

As for dirty, what is the one thing that Texas holds its head up high about across the University? High academic quality. That piece of paper means something, has value. I think a huge ding to that reputation would be worse than bagmen, or that level of dirty. Obviously Briles/Tressel/Paterno and shit like that is horrible beyond any logical comprehension.

I don't understand how you equate the high academic quality of the university by, what, what you believe the academic reputation will suffer if what...we let in some kids to Texas to play football who otherwise wouldn't get in? Because we've been doing that for 20+ years. Short of letting some type of Briles-esque shit happen where players are raping and pillaging in the academic halls of McCombs or Welch, or turn the 6 pack into a carbon copy of Cabreni Greens circa the 1980s and 90s, I struggle to make a connection on what else you think the football team is going to due to make that degree less valuable, to make Texas lose it's Public Ivy status or membership in the AAU, or lose the billions it gets in research dollars, in the quality of it's staff. Florida is dirty AF. They're ranked higher than UT academically in the US News and College World Report ranking. They seem to be doing ok. 

So if you're saying Odom has some Briles/Sandusky shit in his closet, well, that would be some fucking news. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jim Tressel was removed for letting players sell tickets and get free tattoos, correct? That shouldn't go to the top but lets not compare it with what we saw Urban Meyer do in regards to Zach Smith over the course of years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I generally don't hear anything, but a friend in the sports media community told me he had heard that Tulsa CB coach Aaron Fletcher is a possibility.  I turned around and asked another sports media member who said he had heard the name mentioned in passing but doesn't think he's on the short list.  FWIW, likely nothing.

Austin native seems like a fit based on bio

Spoiler

Aaron Fletcher is in his sixth season as an assistant coach at The University of Tulsa, where he coaches cornerbacks. He joined the Golden Hurricane coaching staff on January 27, 2015.

Fletcher has been a part of two bowl teams with the Hurricane, including the 2015 Camping World Independence Bowl and the 2016 Miami Beach Bowl.

In 2019, Tulsa cornerbacks totaled 21 pass break-ups, while the Hurricane defense overall ranked 5th in the American Athletic Conference for pass defense. One of Fletcher’s cornerbacks, Reggie Robinson II led the AAC and ranked 6th nationally for passes defended (17), while he was second in the league and 17th in the NCAA for interceptions (4) in the 2019 season.

Robinson earned first-team all-conference honors and went on to play in the Senior Bowl game and received an invitation to the NFL Combine. He became Tulsa’s first NFL draft choice since 2011 and the highest since 2006 when the Dallas Cowboys drafted the hometown talent in the 4th round with the No. 123rd overall selection.

Tulsa’s secondary was vital in the Golden Hurricane defense ending the 2018 season with the nation’s 8th best pass defense, holding the opposition to 174.6 yards per game. Tulsa also led The American in pass defense and ranked 4th for defensive pass efficiency, as well as 41st nationally, in 2018.  As a whole, the Tulsa defense held opponents to 120+ yards less in total offense than a year earlier. 

Among his player’s exploits, a number of Pro Football Focus weekly honors have been bestowed on Hurricane cornerbacks during his tenure. In 2015, Kerwin Thomas ranked third in the AAC with 14 passes defended, while teammate Darrell Williams ranked 17th with seven. Thomas ranked among the AAC’s top-15 for passes defended a year later as well.

In addition, Fletcher has helped coach Tulsa’s special teams block unit to an NCAA top-15 final ranking for blocked kicks in each of the past two seasons, including 10th in 2018 and 14th in the 2019 campaign.

Before coming to Tulsa, Fletcher spent three years (2012-14) as an assistant coach at Houston Baptist University, where he was part of a coaching staff that instituted the football program at the school. The Huskies finished its 2013 developmental season with a 3-4 record before playing its first full season as an FCS member in 2014. Fletcher coached two all-conference defensive backs that season and led the recruiting efforts on nine of 22 signees in 2013 and 11 of 24 in the 2014 campaign.

Previously, Fletcher coached at three Dallas-area High Schools covering 2006 through 2011, including his most recent stop as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at David W. Carter High School. While there, he coordinated one of the Dallas-Fort Wort Worth Metroplex’s top defenses.

Before that, Fletcher spent time at Desoto and Lancaster High Schools as defensive pass game coordinator and was regarded as the top developer of high school defensive backs in the country. In 2008, Fletcher’s secondary corps for the Lancaster Tigers earned the billing of the nation’s best secondary by several publications, coaching two All-Americans and four all-state players among various other honors. Four of his players were named Texas’ top-100 recruits in 2008.

Fletcher began his coaching career in 2001 as an assistant coach at Lyndon B. Johnson High School in Austin.

Notable players coached by Fletcher include Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Jalen Mills (Desoto HS), former Tennessee Titans and Chicago Bears defensive back Demontre Hurst (Lancaster HS) and Chris Houston (LBJ HS), a second-round draft choice of the Atlanta Falcons, who also played for the Detroit Lions.

Fletcher attended Ranger Junior College for two years (1995-96), and as a cornerback earned Team Defensive MVP honors and all-conference accolades. He then moved to Texas A&M-Commerce and started at cornerback. In 1999, Fletcher was rated as one of the top-20 defensive secondary draft-eligible prospects and participated in the NFL Pre-Draft Camp.

He received his degree in health education from Texas A&M-Commerce in 2003.

Fletcher played in the National Indoor Football League for the Austin Knights in 2001 and the Arena Football League with the Laredo Law Football Club in 2004.

An active member of his community, Fletcher founded “3 and Out Productions”, to enhance community and student relationships through sports camps and clinics in East Austin. In his career, Fletcher has also been involved with Boys and Girls Club, served as youth minister at Disciples of Faith in Commerce and was an active member of The Potter’s House, a men’s ministry in Dallas.

A native of Austin, Texas, Fletcher and his wife, Tanzania, have two daughters: Anaiya and Taylor, and one son, Aaron Jr.

Alma Mater: Texas A&M-Commerce ‘03
Birthdate: July 13, 1977
Hometown: Austin, Texas
Playing Experience: Two-year starter as a cornerback in college.

Bowl Games as a Coach
2015     Camping World Independence Bowl (Tulsa)
2016     Miami Beach Bowl (Tulsa)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Having watched those defenses week in and out at the time, pre sec sec sec, they really weren't as good as people thought/remember.

Odom was DC at Missouri for the 2015 season.  They were 8th in FEI and 3rd in S/P+ for defense.  He was safeties coach for a few years before Missouri left the Big 12, but was at Memphis as DC in between then and 2015.

13 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

i-dont-know-it-for-a-fact-i-just-know-it

Tom herman is the same guy now as he was last week.   Our knowledge is relevant. 

is sarkesian the same guy he was years ago at Washington, usc, and Oakland?

we pay del conte a lot of money to answer that and answer it correctly.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I sort of feel the same way about Brewster. The talent he helped bring Mack was incredible and his role in Vince alone gives him a lifetime pass but he's 60 years old and full in mercenary mode of taking a new job every 12 months. I don't know how much of a teacher he's ever been, and is he still the rainmaker in recruiting to justify a spot on Sark's first staff? 

Uh, yeah. He landed Marvin Wilson, Dalvin Cook, I believe Leal recently. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Tom herman is the same guy now as he was last week.   Our knowledge is relevant. 

CDC said in his introductory press-conference that Oakland offered to make Sark the head coach before he turned it down and they hired Kiffin.  If true, not sure why they would hire someone that was that lazy.

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

CDC said in his introductory press-conference that Oakland offered to make Sark the head coach before he turned it down and they hired Kiffin.  If true, not sure why they would hire someone that was that lazy.

How many correct decisions have the raiders made since around 1985?

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In regards to Odom, this was posted on another board:

Per OrangeBloods, if Barry Odom were hired as the new DC, he'd want to bring Sam Carter with him to coach DBs.

This is the kind of shit we dont need. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't understand how you equate the high academic quality of the university by, what, what you believe the academic reputation will suffer if what...we let in some kids to Texas to play football who otherwise wouldn't get in? Because we've been doing that for 20+ years. Short of letting some type of Briles-esque shit happen where players are raping and pillaging in the academic halls of McCombs or Welch, or turn the 6 pack into a carbon copy of Cabreni Greens circa the 1980s and 90s, I struggle to make a connection on what else you think the football team is going to due to make that degree less valuable, to make Texas lose it's Public Ivy status or membership in the AAU, or lose the billions it gets in research dollars, in the quality of it's staff. Florida is dirty AF. They're ranked higher than UT academically in the US News and College World Report ranking. They seem to be doing ok. 

So if you're saying Odom has some Briles/Sandusky shit in his closet, well, that would be some fucking news. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jim Tressel was removed for letting players sell tickets and get free tattoos, correct? That shouldn't go to the top but lets not compare it with what we saw Urban Meyer do in regards to Zach Smith over the course of years. 

I’m not saying he has briles level shit in the closet. More like UNC basketball type shit. Academically harmful, not rapey or even creeper level shit. 

And his defenses still don’t, and didn’t strike me as very good. Especially considering the competition. 

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Having watched those defenses week in and out at the time, pre sec sec sec, they really weren't as good as people thought/remember. (Watched not as a fan of missouri, but of the conference opponents coming in in general. When they flipped their shit and actually left, I cancelled my tix.)

I'm not saying the guy is complete trash, just not what I would expect to work here. Maybe I'm wrong on what the potential results would be, but I'm not so sure on that.

As for dirty, what is the one thing that Texas holds its head up high about across the University? High academic quality. That piece of paper means something, has value. I think a huge ding to that reputation would be worse than bagmen, or that level of dirty. Obviously Briles/Tressel/Paterno and shit like that is horrible beyond any logical comprehension.

You must be drunk, which I don't intend as an insult because I admire being drunk at 3:00 on a weekday. Odom was not the DC at Missouri until 2012 when they were in the SEC.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

I’m not saying he has briles level shit in the closet. More like UNC basketball type shit. Academically harmful, not rapey or even creeper level shit. 

And his defenses still don’t, and didn’t strike me as very good. Especially considering the competition. 

Fair enough, but as DC he's not going to even be in the position to implement any academic shenanigans unless it's expressly known of and approved of by Sark, which means we'd be fucked from that route anyway. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

1fuorj.jpg

Just now, Katfid54 said:

lol wtf is this?  Kerry fucking Collins threw for 3,500 yards in 13 games on a Norv Turner-led team with Sark as his QB coach.

I feel like people keep mixing up Sark with Kiffin in this thread from the Oakland mentions

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the male brain is not fully formed until about 25...

Pretty sure mine didn’t fully form until I was 35 but I still laugh at fart jokes so I guess the jury is still out on that one.  In my defense I was a late bloomer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

i mean, his results kind of speak for themselves...

DFEI Ratings:

• 12 (Mizzou DC): 30
  • 13: 15
  • 14: 11
  • 15: 8
  • 16 (Mizzou HC): 90
  • 17: 88
  • 18: 25
  • 19: 34
  • 20 (Arkansas DC): 63 (were 110 in 2019)

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fair enough, but as DC he's not going to even be in the position to implement any academic shenanigans unless it's expressly known of and approved of by Sark, which means we'd be fucked from that route anyway. 

True enough. I’m just not a fan of his work, nor his tenure as a HC for the kittens. He just doesn’t strike me as someone worth their salt. If he were to be hired, I won’t hate it, I just will be waiting with baited breath. If he were hired and has success, good. But caution in his area wouldn’t be a bad thing. At least initially anyway. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

The fact that names like Belk and Carter are now leaking out doesn't give me much hope for Raymond.

Carter's the cow/calf with Odom. Hopefully we could just pay Odom a lot of money to feel better about working with Raymond instead. 

Belk... well I hope it's just getting contingencies ready or agents mucking around getting their clients paid.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

In all seriousness, is IT worth the money outside of what's going on? I've been going back and forth between them and TFB for awhile now. I used to be on 247 like 10 years ago, but fuck that place was a beating and their scoops sucked shit. So who would be worth the $9.95? IT or TFB? 

Thanks 

Tough to say right now, since all of the sources are going to be reset so we don't know who will have the best info in the next regime as far as day to day and recruiting stuff, though both were solid in the coaching search.  IT's analysis is going to be the same value going forward if that makes a difference to you.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Seemed like a guy I'd enjoy as my neighbor. Really REALLY fucking glad he's no longer my favorite team's OL coach.

Especially because he’d never be able stop you if you decided to rush into his backyard and snag some of his bbq. 

49 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

This is where the recruiter, coaching dynamic is in play. Drayton is such a elite coach that it's easy for great recruiters to sell the RB program. Perfect example is when Tim Beck lead the charge on Bijan. 

Lulz. Drayton is not an elite RB coach. He’s just had the luxury of coaching some really talented guys while being in staff for guys like Urban Meyer. The idea of having a RB coach on staff who doesn’t really recruit so he can coach up the position that is the least reliant on coaching in all of football is one of the most absurd things imaginable. Drayton hasn’t coached up a single RB at Texas. Ingram was slower in Year 3 and lost us multiple games because he couldn’t hold onto the ball, you know, one of the few aspects of being a RB that is influenced by coaching. 

46 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Noooooooooooooo! I cannot take another three down lineman defense. ISU is just barely tolerable. Orlando’s was intolerable. It is effing stupid to give a QB so much time to throw with a weak pass rush, other than as a quick change of pace. Kill me now. 

You’re conflating 3 down lineman with a 3 man rush. Tons of coaches use 3 down but rush 4 guys most plays, like Aranda at LSU with Chaisson. 3 or 4 down doesn’t matter. A guy like Odom’s who’s shown flexibility to match personnel is ideal. We also don’t have a good pass rushing DE in the program right now, so 4 down isn’t going to be a silver bullet. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1