Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin:

Hide contents

We’ve been told the Gideon hire isn’t indicative of anything on the defensive coordinator front. Gideon’s position is open ended and it doesn’t exclude a defensive coordinator who is also a defensive backs coach. Gideon came highly recommended. The only known is he’ll for sure have special teams.

The same person who told us Flood and Milwee were “expected” to be part of Sarkisian’s staff wasn’t as sure on wide receiver coach Holmon Wiggins. He just said Wiggins is definitely an option.

But I thought Gideon was the batteries?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think we will have two S&C type coaches similar to the Bama model

Where are you hearing this? IT? Nobody knows shit right now. I hope they're right, but this hire comes out of left field to everyone, including them.

Except, has anyone connected Peter Sirmon to the DC role yet?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Where are you hearing this? IT? Nobody knows shit right now. I hope they're right, but this hire comes out of left field to everyone, including them.

No, but he's definitely got the Sark connection.  Washington and USC.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize it's sounding like Banks isn't going to make it back to Texas, but while asking around about him, wow.

His girlfriend, that followed him to Bama, is a stripper still actively working. She's poleassassin_ on Insta, for those who want to look and/or post images back here. Also, there's a whole bunch of other stuff on the trainwreck that is Banks' personal life, but probably not worth the bandwidth if he isn't coming here. Some of the stories involve their pet monkey, in any event.

Regarding Muschamp, there's no game being played, unless it's the most amazeballs sleight of hand ever. He's not coming. He thinks the Gideon hire is a really smart hire. 

Flood is a great fucking hire that's now confirmed by numerous parties. He's had a number of chances for his agent to deny the reports and they haven't. The Co-OC title and salary are a big deal, I guess. 

So far we have Flood, Gideon, and Drayton as known. Milwee looks like the same. Now this Becton dude who, outside of the resume reading, I don't think anyone has heard anything about yet from "insiders." I'm interested in hearing more on that front, but right now, we're looking at upgrades to Hand and Valai; stability at a key role with a star player here because of him with Drayton; potentially more along those lines with Carrington; and an overall upgrade at OC/QB Coach because Sarkisian/Milwee is better than Hermanyurc with certainty. Looks like Sarkisian, whatever else we discover, is a pretty fucking solid football mind. 

How will we all react if there's no obvious recruiting rainmaker on staff though? I'm guessing we'll want to burn everything down immediately, me included. So hopefully Lupoi and some others like that make the jump and we don't have to go full Surly until after losing to Louisiana to open the 2021 season.

I googled Banks when this started and even his official Bama picture screams sketchiness. I'm not surprised at all by that info.

Sark seems very serious about recruiting so I have little doubt that he'll bring in some capable guys on that front. DC is my only real concern at this point assuming these offense guys come true.

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No, but he's definitely got the Sark connection.  Washington and USC.

He seems to be a Justin Wilcox (who was Sark’s DC at UW and USC and now HC at Cal) guy. He worked under Wilcox at Tenn, UW, and USC, then went to the DC at MSU, got fired after one season, moved to Louisville got fired after one season, and now is back at Cal under Wilcox. So definitely seems like a thumbs down as a DC hire. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Looks like a solid LB coach and an average DC. What's your opinion?

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He seems to be a Justin Wilcox (who was Sark’s DC at UW and USC and now HC at Cal) guy. He worked under Wilcox at Tenn, UW, and USC, then went to the DC at MSU, got fired after one season, moved to Louisville got fired after one season, and now is back at Cal under Wilcox. So definitely seems like a thumbs down as a DC hire. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Great position coach, terrible coordinator

Similar to a lot of these names

Sorry if it wasn't obvious, but I'm just stirring up shit regarding Sirmon since the Becton guy is on staff there as well. I hope to hell he isn't the DC. Not actually sure who I hope the DC is though, since Muschamp and Odom are apparently out, I don't want Ash back preferably, and the Arnett guy doesn't seem like the primary. Maybe it's Freeman or Mason. What other overlapping candidates are out there from the Kiffin/Sarkisian/Saban venn diagram?

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is my sarcasm meter broken or is this a real candidate?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry if it wasn't obvious, but I'm just stirring up shit regarding Sirmon since the Becton guy is on staff there as well. I hope to hell he isn't the DC. Not actually sure who I hope the DC is though, since Muschamp and Odom are apparently out, I don't want Ash back preferably, and the Arnett guy doesn't seem like the primary. Maybe it's Freeman or Mason. What other overlapping candidates are out there from the Kiffin/Sarkisian/Saban venn diagram?

Dan Quinn want to come back to the college game for a couple years? DC under Champ at Florida. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I must have misread it. I thought you heard that he was being targeted for the DC position.