Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Seems like DC candidates are coming off the board.  Who's left if Freeman goes to LSU?  Arnett and Ansley?  I guess Dan Quinn.  Golding would be a little underwhelming.

My gut says Arnett makes the most sense. No one else would outbid us if he’s the guy. Certainly not MSU or Notre Dame

Sheesh DC candidates are starting to drop like flies. No more Muschamp, Odom, Mason, Freeman. Ash possibly going to Florida. Hope Sark doesn't drop the ball here. 

So if Freeman is gone, I guess the candidates are Arnett (seems most rumored but meh imo), Quinn (probably a longshot), and Ash (seems like a foregone conclusion that he's gone given all the other names being linked). Maybe Steele or that Seahawks guy get looks. Ansley seems like a great DB coach, bad DC. Similar to Tosh. I imagine they'd be Co-DC candidates at best.

Gotta say, I've been loving the hires but this one is getting a bit concerning. Just lock in Ash if these names keep dropping

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

No. That's not a discussion. That's you posting when a hire is confirmed.

I mean it would be nice to have a thread that actually stayed on topic. At the beginning of this thread you and the other mods made it very clear that this thread should only be about coaching hires. But now you're crossing your fingers that this will turn into another Urban Meyer or bust thread, which I know was a lot of fun for you and a lot of other posters, but for many of the rest of us it was a fucking slog to check in after 8 hours to find 3,000 posts about curtains and bbq, and day shift/night crew/BDE and a myriad of other pointless bullshit. 

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a thread that stays on topic. But I know that's asking too much. So I'm just gonna petulantly bitch about it this one time and then shut the fuck up.

Beginners guide to managing Surly:

1) Seek screen grabs. Most Surly “insiders” just pay $9.95+ a month. Wait for the news beyond the mysterious paywall and join the ensuing conversation.
(To Surly “insiders”: you guys are saints, thank you for what you do.)

2) Seek popular posts, designated by 10 reactions or more. This eliminates the Futureman’s of the world because nobody likes his posts.

3) Seek TLDR posts, but before you read them, check the quality of the poster.

Closetojumping: Yes

Closetohumping: Unlikely

4) If you see a picture of someone’s dinner, immediately log out. The walls have been breached and you will soon be flooded with poorly-lit, overcooked slabs of meat. Which leads me to my last point.....

5) Lighten up. You know you’re entering into a circle jerk when you login each day. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

FCB

Spoiler

Here's the latest on what we're hearing regarding the staff being put together by Steve Sarkisian at Texas:

* Oklahoma receivers coach Dennis Simmons, a teammate of Steve Sarkisian's at BYU, is someone to definitely keep an eye on as a possible staff addition for Sark. We reported this in today's Morning Brew.

Simmons was named associate head coach at OU in 2019 and has history with Lincoln Riley dating back to their days together at Texas Tech under Mike Leach and again at East Carolina under Ruffin McNeill. Could be a tough sell for Sark to pry Simmons out of Norman, but we're hearing there's definitely interest from Sark in Simmons.

* While Bo Davis is the leading defensive line coach candidate for Sarkisian (and has been offered the job, according to a source close to the situation), we're hearing Davis is holding off on taking the Texas job until he sees what NFL opportunities might be available, including with his current team - the Detroit Lions.

Davis spent the last three seasons as the defensive line coach of the Lions under Matt Patricia. The Lions are now in the process of looking for a new head coach.

* We're hearing LSU cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond, who also serves as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator, might be open to leaving Baton Rouge, because of all the recent turnover on LSU's staff. We can confirm there is interest from Sarkisian in adding Raymond to the Texas staff. Football Scoop was the first to report.

* Alabama tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks will wait until after Monday's national championship game to decide if he wants to join Sarkisian's staff at Texas, according to a source close to the situation.

* Once Banks makes his decision, it will become clear if Blake Gideon is coaching special teams at Texas or working as a defensive position coach in the secondary (safeties).

* We reported in the INSIDER this week that former Atlanta Falcons head coach and former Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman, Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett and Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash were all on Sarkisian's short list of candidates for defensive coordinator.

* We've reported Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood is expected to accept the same position at Texas - probably with the offensive coordinator title (even though Sark will call the offensive plays).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

1) Seek screen grabs. Most Surly “insiders” just pay $9.95+ a month. Wait for the news beyond the mysterious paywall and join the ensuing conversation.

2) Seek popular posts, designated by 10 reactions or more. This eliminates the Futureman’s of the world because nobody likes his posts.

4) If you see a picture of someone’s dinner, immediately log out. The walls have been breached and you will soon be flooded with poorly-lit, overcooked slabs of meat. Which leads me to my last point.....

5) Lighten up. You know you’re entering into a circle jerk when you login each day. 

6) Use ignore liberally

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

FCB

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the latest on what we're hearing regarding the staff being put together by Steve Sarkisian at Texas:

* Oklahoma receivers coach Dennis Simmons, a teammate of Steve Sarkisian's at BYU, is someone to definitely keep an eye on as a possible staff addition for Sark. We reported this in today's Morning Brew.

Simmons was named associate head coach at OU in 2019 and has history with Lincoln Riley dating back to their days together at Texas Tech under Mike Leach and again at East Carolina under Ruffin McNeill. Could be a tough sell for Sark to pry Simmons out of Norman, but we're hearing there's definitely interest from Sark in Simmons.

* While Bo Davis is the leading defensive line coach candidate for Sarkisian (and has been offered the job, according to a source close to the situation), we're hearing Davis is holding off on taking the Texas job until he sees what NFL opportunities might be available, including with his current team - the Detroit Lions.

Davis spent the last three seasons as the defensive line coach of the Lions under Matt Patricia. The Lions are now in the process of looking for a new head coach.

* We're hearing LSU cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond, who also serves as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator, might be open to leaving Baton Rouge, because of all the recent turnover on LSU's staff. We can confirm there is interest from Sarkisian in adding Raymond to the Texas staff. Football Scoop was the first to report.

* Alabama tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks will wait until after Monday's national championship game to decide if he wants to join Sarkisian's staff at Texas, according to a source close to the situation.

* Once Banks makes his decision, it will become clear if Blake Gideon is coaching special teams at Texas or working as a defensive position coach in the secondary (safeties).

* We reported in the INSIDER this week that former Atlanta Falcons head coach and former Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman, Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett and Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash were all on Sarkisian's short list of candidates for defensive coordinator.

* We've reported Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood is expected to accept the same position at Texas - probably with the offensive coordinator title (even though Sark will call the offensive plays).

So not much of an update update for content churn to make it look like we are providing new information 

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Sheesh DC candidates are starting to drop like flies. No more Muschamp, Odom, Mason, Freeman. Ash possibly going to Florida. Hope Sark doesn't drop the ball here. 

Gotta say, I've been loving the hires but this one is getting a bit concerning. Just lock in Ash if these names keep dropping

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

FCB

Hide contents

CDC was seen coming out of UFCU today.  Third time this week.

Edited by CobbInLimbo
doh!
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

Drumm says yes Sark and Simmons are close, and the offer is close to double, but Riley is aware of their relationship and the offer amount, and will do whatever it takes to make sure he stays. Someone else said that Simmons is godfather to one of Riley's kids. 

Might as well make these schools pay top dollar to keep their best assistants 

"Texas made an offer I couldn't refuse."

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

You guys may have noticed on threads of 100 pages or more there's a summary below the first post. Do we want to reduce the threshold of that popping up to something like 30 or 40 pages? 100 seems too much to be honest as I think a lot of the valuable things you talk about here are actually what that serves up on every page. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

You guys may have noticed on threads of 100 pages or more there's a summary below the first post. Do we want to reduce the threshold of that popping up to something like 30 or 40 pages? 100 seems too much to be honest as I think a lot of the valuable things you talk about here are actually what that serves up on every page. 

#BringUpArrowBack

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

FCB

Reveal hidden contents

FCB with a bunch of claims of great reporting -- what a worthless hack !!

Here's a great classic, thanks @TreatyOak

FCB-Tower.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So on his football staff Saban has a former Texas head coach, a current Texas head coach, a former Texas OC, a future Texas OC, a future Texas QB coach, and possibly the future Texas DC and WR coaches.  If they win Monday it might be kind of awkward for Aggy since none of those coaches are truly SEC good.

If aggy had to reconcile all their stupid, illogical statements, the minds would explode.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The tidbit on Gideon is interesting in that it seems he will be TE coach if/when Banks decides to stay at Bama. 

I thought that had more to do with Special Teams.  If Banks is coming he is likely getting the special teams job.  Then Gideon would be just a DB coach.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I thought that had more to do with Special Teams.  If Banks is coming he is likely getting the special teams job.  Then Gideon would be just a DB coach.

Situation is fluid.  If only way to get Raymond is to give him control of CB and Safeties, and Banks wants to keep Special teams and is coming, you do both and find something else for Gideon to do.    Timing of his hire was strange, but I'm sure he's sharp enough to coach other positions given how high people are on him apparently.

Also something to note about Arnett is that he coaches under Leach who, correct me if I am wrong, requires so much repetition of the air raid in practice that the defense usually suffers. The fact that he was able to shine through that and still be in high demand after only 1 year says a lot about his potential. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

To me I would like a defensive coordinator that will be in place much of Sark's tenure. I'd prefer a guy we can keep 3-4 years at least vs a guy who is a 1 year rental or gone after 2 years to a HC gig.

If our defensive coordinator gets a head coaching gig after two years, that's kinda the best case scenario imo. It'd be nice for one of our coaches to finally get some branches on his coaching tree.

• Like 1