Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Eventually people will realize the Tim Beck hire is about 25th on the list of reasons Tom Herman is no longer employed at Texas. He didn’t look half bad this year at NC State when he didn’t have a head coach breathing down his neck.

This.  We will never know how good of a coordinator Tim was because there is no doubt turtle was meddling from day one.  What we do know is Tim was a great recruiter and a good QB coach.  Herman wasn’t up for the Texas job.  I know Sam was hurt this year but he was noticeably worse this year than the previous two with Beck as his coach.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 3

Let Sark put his first staff together (which will be an improvement over anything in recent history regardless), kick ass next year and raise some eyebrows around the country, replace 6’s and 8’s on the staff with 10’s, profit and initiate dynasty.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know we are supposed to be happy with the Bo Davis hire and Saban loves him, but I just strolled down memory lane on his all time recruits and started getting PTSD: Alex Norman, Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon, Terrel Cuney, Lorenzo Joe, and Chevoski Collins. I hope to hell this staff can evaluate. It's the one thing that Herman's crew actually did consistently well. 

https://247sports.com/Coach/Bo-Davis-271/AllTimeRecruits/

Mack probably told him the guys he wanted to target because some high school coach friend of his swore to god that the kid had a ton of potential and was a real good kid on and off the field and that if offered that they would commit early.

Plus:  It sounds like recruiting tool$ available under $ark > those available under Mack at the time.  Hypothetically speaking of course.

12 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Mack probably told him the guys he wanted to target because some high school coach friend of his swore to god that the kid had a ton of potential and was a real good kid on and off the field and that if offered that they would commit early.

Plus:  It sounds like recruiting tool$ available under $ark > those available under Mack at the time.  Hypothetically speaking of course.

these were the kids that would commit and not take visits per Mack's rule at the time.  the willy wonka golden ticket came with many "requirements".  it worked until it didn't, especially when SEC went full bagman after Cam Newton and Mack went to his lazy boy.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Sorry but why is everyone focusing on 2 people when the whale is still out there? Is the prevailing theory that he wouldn't be a good DC, just rainmaker? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen. 

He sucks ass as a DC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

He sucks ass as a DC

Mmmkay. It would appear that there are arguments for the other 2 sucking ass as well. Why automatically dismiss the one who is universally regarded as one of the best (if not the best) recruiters to ever coach the game? 

57 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Well apparently what you do is find a slow kid dating a 6 and have him start fucking the 8 so you can feel less bad about getting with the 10. 

Charlie Strong can pull more than a 6 I would think right? 

15 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Mmmkay. It would appear that there are arguments for the other 2 sucking ass as well. Why automatically dismiss the one who is universally regarded as one of the best (if not the best) recruiters to ever coach the game? 

No, the other two emphatically don't suck, they're just not surest-of-sure-things like a Venables would be.

Lupoi would be like a defensive Tim Beck with bags. Can recruit. Can't gameplan.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No, the other two emphatically don't suck, they're just not surest-of-sure-things like a Venables would be.

Lupoi would be like a defensive Tim Beck with bags. Can recruit. Can't gameplan.

Gotcha. I'll still hold out hope that we'll be able to get him on staff somehow. 

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Saban will see coaches leaving for promotions as good job good effort and making it that much easier to hire new guys with ambition. He will not accept losing coaches to lateral moves for money reasons.

Who gives a fuck what Saban thinks.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Giles wants to remain at Texas he’d do it in a analyst role. 

I am sure Giles is waiting for Herman to land somewhere. I could see him getting the Tennessee gig or mayyyyyyybe in the worst possible hire scenario Florida if Mullen leaves. More likely Tennessee is his ceiling.

You can be grateful to Saban for a great opportunity, and not want to work for him anymore.

Count me in the “I hope it’s not Golding” group though. With the hires of both Charlie and Tom I was perplexed that we didn’t go get someone who understood spread offenses and understood shutting down spread offenses. I think the numbers show Golding wouldn’t be a good candidate for that. But his one ‘bad year’ in 2019 had a crazy injury run on his side of the ball.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 1

While Golding would not be my first choice, I still find it amusing that the Golding haters are basing their hate on Bama’s inability to stop spread offenses. This entire argument is based off the results of two games, both of which were won by the Tide. Alabama’s defensive roster is built with players who were recruited to stop the run up front and play physical man coverage on the backend. I trust that if Golding were to come to Texas, we would stockpile players who are more suited to stopping the spread, since that would be the offense we would face at least 9 times next year.

• Hook 'Em 4

Pretty good read on Golding:

Without Nick Saban in a rivalry game, Golding continued the defensive dominance that we’ve seen from Alabama in the past month. Auburn’s garbage time score ended Alabama’s streak of 193 minutes and 11 seconds without allowing a touchdown.

That’s not a typo. That’s nearly 13 quarters of SEC football without allowing anyone to reach paydirt.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/lets-finally-give-pete-golding-break-deserves-2020/

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

While Golding would not be my first choice, I still find it amusing that the Golding haters are basing their hate on Bama’s inability to stop spread offenses. This entire argument is based off the results of two games, both of which were won by the Tide. Alabama’s defensive roster is built with players who were recruited to stop the run up front and play physical man coverage on the backend. I trust that if Golding were to come to Texas, we would stockpile players who are more suited to stopping the spread, since that would be the offense we would face at least 9 times next year.

This is all way off. Bama has been recruiting to stop the spread for a while now and getting the best athletes in the nation to do it, and it doesn’t matter if they won when the DC you’re assessing gave up almost 50 both times. It’s not like those teams just scored a bunch of garbage time points. Bans needed stops and couldn’t get them. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Because Alabama will not be outbid for coaches he wants to retain. Flood is getting a promotion but Wiggins isn't, thats why Flood has been confirmed while Wiggins is moving to doubtful. 

Or because they are two different people with varying desires in their personal sphere?

Based on IT’s clearly faulty info it looks like we are either keeping Ash or getting Arnett.

I think it’s either going to be CO-DC’s Ash/Tosh or CO-DC’s Arnett/Raymond.

But IT has been wrong the whole time. Just as likely Charlie Strong comes back as DC.

3 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Based on IT’s clearly faulty info it looks like we are either keeping Ash or getting Arnett.

I think it’s either going to be CO-DC’s Ash/Tosh or CO-DC’s Arnett/Raymond.

But IT has been wrong the whole time. Just as likely Charlie Strong comes back as DC.

Strong may end up at gator as DB coach...

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is all way off. Bama has been recruiting to stop the spread for a while now and getting the best athletes in the nation to do it, and it doesn’t matter if they won when the DC you’re assessing gave up almost 50 both times. It’s not like those teams just scored a bunch of garbage time points. Bans needed stops and couldn’t get them. 

So I am wrong about Golding, but Arnette and Muschamp are much better? Arnette’s defense was worse against the same schedule as Bama, and Muschamp’s D was especially bad against the spread during his last stop in Austin. 

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

So I am wrong about Golding, but Arnette and Muschamp are much better? Arnette’s defense was worse against the same schedule as Bama, and Muschamp’s D was especially bad against the spread during his last stop in Austin. 

Arnett may have had a slight disadvantage in the personnel department versus Bama’s D.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, trythisathome said:

So are we pretty much giving up any hope for Lupoi? I want to believe. Give me all the recruiting violations we can get. 

Are you wanting to go the Tennessee route; implosion with no positive results?

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

If you have an 8 and a 10 wants the D, what do you do? 

Both.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

No fun to comment on possible hires after three tall glasses of Irish Whiskey. 

No fun? Did you ever Urban or Bust? A very large percentage of that posting involved alcohol. And bad food. The best posting usually involves some level of inebriation. This thread should be no different. 

• Hook 'Em 1