Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 hours ago, runthebone said:

Exactly, it is a different era now.

'05 would still fuck any of these teams up.

The good thing about 05 if they were playing in the modern era would be that the only thing that wasn’t a strength for that team was LB. LB has been very marginalized in today’s game. 

16 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

While Golding would not be my first choice, I still find it amusing that the Golding haters are basing their hate on Bama’s inability to stop spread offenses. This entire argument is based off the results of two games, both of which were won by the Tide. Alabama’s defensive roster is built with players who were recruited to stop the run up front and play physical man coverage on the backend. I trust that if Golding were to come to Texas, we would stockpile players who are more suited to stopping the spread, since that would be the offense we would face at least 9 times next year.

This. Mizzou, LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss are all spread/air raid and they beat the fuck out of all of them. Golding is not at the top of my list but he’s not Tim Beck of defense like some think

On Sark and the possibility of several assistants leaving Bama and going to Texas, there's only one explanation:

It's obvious that Saban recently met with his coaching staff and when reflecting on his career, he broke down sobbing saying that the only thing that would have made it better was if he had done it at Texas.  Once they saw how broken he was, the answer was clear.  GTT.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The Bama fanbase is beyond spoiled at this point, they wont tolerate anything close to the sort of shit we've been through the past 7 years.

Just like we were. That’s kind of the point. We haven’t tolerated it either. That’s why we’re on coach number 3. Whoever follows Saban can’t afford to lose 2+ games a season or they’ll be out on the street quickly. The likelihood of the next coach lasting more than 2 or 3 years is very low.

I am in the Ash camp after Odom and Boom were gone. We have seen him make adjustments after OCs expose a weakness. Many of the guys we have hated never seemed to adjust to being exposed. From what I read Golding does not know how to adjust to spread and Arnett we don't know if he will or will not be stubborn with his system. The BIG 12 will expose you that is why year 1 is always good and year 2 not so much.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am in the Ash camp after Odom and Boom were gone. We have seen him make adjustments after OCs expose a weakness. Many of the guys we have hated never seemed to adjust to being exposed. From what I read Golding does not know how to adjust to spread and Arnett we don't know if he will or will not be stubborn with his system. The BIG 12 will expose you that is why year 1 is always good and year 2 not so much.

Did he really make adjustments though? He struggled against every team with competent TE play (Oklahoma then Iowa State then Kansas State). We all knew we had to shut down the middle of the field against Iowa state’s TE’s and we proceeded to allow them over 200 yards receiving. I didn’t see much adjusting. I did see a baseline improvement in overall defensive competence, which definitely made a difference this year. 

Look, Ash is a good DC but he’s pretty straightforward in what he does and doesn’t try to overcomplicate things like Orlando did towards the end of his tenure. There’s no guarantees he wouldn’t have been figured out by Big 12 OC’s and eaten alive after year 1 like the previous 3 DC’s Texas had. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I particularly loved his adjustment that left the middle of the field open for Duggan to run into 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Alabama wondered the same wilderness we are in for a very long time.  The funny thing about sucking at football is your fans have absolutely no control over it.

Yup ... the wilderness can be thought provoking, indeed.

Shirley Temple Giggle GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

With the caveat that rankings might be a little wonky this year with conferences mostly only playing intra-conference games, some conferences having a limited amount of games, and covid ravaged game-day rosters, Ash's 2020 Texas defense was ranked 40th in FEI. Not sure where it was in SP+, but I'm sure it was somewhere in that ballpark. 

Is that where you think a good DC should have Texas with the amount of talented fielded this season, adjusted for opponent? 

How do you think our talent compared to Mississippi State's this year? They finished 42nd in FEI

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

I particularly loved his adjustment that left the middle of the field open for Duggan to run into 

This is always the rub.  Are an DCs schemes good but the player/players just missed the assignment?  I guess ultimately it’s on the DC and other coaches to make sure their players don’t miss assignments but it’s not like Saban’s team don’t bust assignments.  Ash was working with less talent than Golding so how can that be truly gaged?  I feel like Ash or Golding are about the same.   I think we need Arnett because he’s seem more innovative and better suited to stop spread defenses.  JMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

This is always the rub.  Are an DCs schemes good but the player/players just missed the assignment?  I guess ultimately it’s on the DC and other coaches to make sure their players don’t miss assignments but it’s not like Saban’s team don’t bust assignments.  Ash was working with less talent than Golding so how can that be truly gaged?  I feel like Ash or Golding are about the same.   I think we need Arnett because he’s seem more innovative and better suited to stop spread defenses.  JMO.  

My issue is the defense lost before the ball was snapped because of alignment to the formation. Ash should have either gotten them lined up when he saw what was on the field, or called a timeout 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

My issue is the defense lost before the ball was snapped because of alignment to the formation. Ash should have either gotten them lined up when he saw what was on the field, or called a timeout 

Hey man just because the majority of surly arm chair coaches saw what was about to happen pre-snap you can’t expect the guy getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to be able to do the same.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Three timeouts per half would not be anywhere near enough timeouts.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I’ll go ahead and say it: Chris Ash can lick our collective asshole, pack his shit, and head for the state border. 

He was a fucking bum at Rutgers. Just complete trash in every way. He showed up here with his own brand of cronyism and mediocrity by imposing inexperienced trash on the program with the Valai hire. Valai immediately sprinted out and took a hogger-sized dump on the 50 yard line of the Texas program by being worthless as a coach and a nonentity in recruiting. 

Ash delivered vanilla ice cream competence. Nothing special or unique, just gave the defense a vague hint of average. Outside of some time under Meyer while surrounded by other star coaches, Ash has amounted to sad comedy at worst and meh-relevance at best. Hit the fucking bricks, buddy, we’ll take our chances in the open market. 

Pos rec for a very solid post, but fuck off for the vanilla ice cream analogy.  That was pathetic.

• Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I’ll go ahead and say it: Chris Ash can lick our collective asshole, pack his shit, and head for the state border. 

He was a fucking bum at Rutgers. Just complete trash in every way. He showed up here with his own brand of cronyism and mediocrity by imposing inexperienced trash on the program with the Valai hire. Valai immediately sprinted out and took a hogger-sized dump on the 50 yard line of the Texas program by being worthless as a coach and a nonentity in recruiting. 

Ash delivered vanilla ice cream competence. Nothing special or unique, just gave the defense a vague hint of average. Outside of some time under Meyer while surrounded by other star coaches, Ash has amounted to sad comedy at worst and meh-relevance at best. Hit the fucking bricks, buddy, we’ll take our chances in the open market. 

People are busting a nut after seeing a semicompetent defense after Orlando. 

He would be barely worth keeping without Valai. Valai makes it a complete nonstarter going forward. I think every name tossed around for DC would be a decent to massive upgrade.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

The oline was terrible in 2009.  We couldn't run the ball and our entire offense was made up of Colt scrambling around until Shipley got open.

Correct. Colt's ability to extend plays and the magic connection to Shipley masked the OL's deficiencies to the blind.

Jeff at 247 posted the following: 

Sunday morning update (10:10 a.m.): We’re hearing Andre Coleman could get retained by Steve Sarkisian. As of Saturday, we can confirm Coleman certainly hadn’t been told he was out after working for the Longhorns in 2019 as an analyst and in 2020 as wide receivers coach.

Probably nothing new here as I thought I saw yesterday that someone mentioned him for an analyst role, but that lack of specificity was noteworthy in Jeff's post. Please close the door behind you after burning the place down if he is actually kept on as an on-field coach.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I consider that one of the examples of him being exposed. I don't remember that then happening again. I could be wrong but that is what I mean by adjusting. Had that been Orlando we would have seen it over and over again in subsequent games.

6 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Jeff at 247 posted the following: 

Spoiler

Sunday morning update (10:10 a.m.): We’re hearing Andre Coleman could get retained by Steve Sarkisian. As of Saturday, we can confirm Coleman certainly hadn’t been told he was out after working for the Longhorns in 2019 as an analyst and in 2020 as wide receivers coach.

Probably nothing new here as I thought I saw yesterday that someone mentioned him for an analyst role, but that lack of specificity was noteworthy in Jeff's post. Please close the door behind you after burning the place down if he is actually kept on as an on-field coach.

There's zero chance Sark has a blank check for assistant hires, and has in turn demonstrated that he is swinging for the fences on his hires, but despite that has even a fleeting thought of keeping Coleman in anything but an off-the-field role. I would say stop being overreactive and regarded over the "lack of specificity" in a post by Jeff fucking Howe who knows less most 9.95er's (in a year where it's clear that's a lower bar than normal), but surl gonna surl. 

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

If we retain Coleman Im grabbing my buffalo headress and heading to Bellmont

He might be retained as an analyst. He’s not going to be retained as the WR coach 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

There's zero chance Sark has a blank check for assistant hires, and has in turn demonstrated that he is swinging for the fences on his hires, but despite that has even a fleeting thought of keeping Coleman in anything but an off-the-field role. I would say stop being overreactive and regarded over the "lack of specificity" in a post by Jeff fucking Howe who knows less most 9.95er's (in a year where it's clear that's a lower bar than normal), but surl gonna surl. 

I think he is given an unlimited budget for off field/on campus staff. Look for us to go the former coach route with analyst and etc similar to Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1

More from Howe

Sunday update (10:45 a.m.): We’ve checked in with multiple sources late in the week and throughout the weekend as it relates to Zach Arnett. While we’re not eliminating him as a potential defensive coordinator candidate based on what we heard in the days after Sarkisian’s hiring, we don’t believe the situation is such that Arnett-to-Texas is anywhere close to a foregone conclusion. In fact, we’ve yet to confirm the interest is anything more than just that — interest, in that Arnett is a name to watch but there appear to be other candidates higher above him in the pecking order.