Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

8 minutes ago, GeoffE said:

So would he keep safeties? Joseph to CBs and then we hire Tosh for LBs or keep Hutzler?

DC/S: Ash

DL: Davis

LB: ??

CB: Joseph

ST: Gideon

There is consensus that Tosh isn't coming here without being named the play-calling DC in hopes of ultimately getting a head coaching gig somewhere. Doesn't seem like Sark is interested in hiring Tosh to be play-calling DC.  So it doesn't seem like Tosh is a realistic option. 

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’d be one thing to come back and discuss Ash staying on if you’d just ran the job by Muschamp and he passed. It’s another entirely to try to get in to stay after showing varying degrees of interest in several candidates, hiring position coaches, and Ash starting to talk with other programs. That doesn’t make sense. We’ll see I guess.

I think Sark already has a good idea of who he wants and who is the DC. 995ers don't know shit and I'd bet $1 that it's an out of left field candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’d be one thing to come back and discuss Ash staying on if you’d just ran the job by Muschamp and he passed. It’s another entirely to try to get in to stay after showing varying degrees of interest in several candidates, hiring position coaches, and Ash starting to talk with other programs. That doesn’t make sense. We’ll see I guess.

I agree, but I’m also of the opinion that Brian Davis probably can’t read or understand verbal queues very well. He said some other dumb stuff trying to sensationalize it a bit. “Sark does not know who Daryl Royal is, he only knows 4th and 5 with Vince Young...” or to that effect.

Edited by Daichee Bell

7 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'd love to see us money whip DC Jim Leonhard from Wiscy into moving south. Nobody's been able to do that yet, including Saban...but I think the guy still is around $1M/per. Ridiculously cheap for a coordinator of his caliber.   

there is a reason he hasn't been pried away from Wisconsin.

dude is from Wisconsin, walked on & played at Wisconsin, took a gap year to study college offenses with the Wisconsin DC (Dave Aranda), took a job as a DB coach there then was promoted to DC and is paid about 1.125m (22nd overall in the Country)

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

While I agree with you in premise; maybe, just maybe, Sark and Ash had preliminary conversation with each of them agreeing to “explore options” but that they’d reconnect for a REAL interview post the CCG? 

Just now, NoName said:

dude is from Wisconsin, walked on & played at Wisconsin, took a gap year to study college offenses with the Wisconsin DC (Dave Aranda), took a job as a DB coach there then was promoted to DC and is paid about 1.125m (22nd overall in the Country)

And will be the next HC of Wisconsin

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Worked under Justin Wilcox one year who has a very good relationship with Sarkisian. 22nd isn't top 5 :)

1 minute ago, NoName said:

And $1.125M in Wisconsin is a veritable poop ton of moolah. Like..a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Sark already has a good idea of who he wants and who is the DC. 995ers don't know shit and I'd bet $1 that it's an out of left field candidate. 

Yeah, that’s kind of what it looks like to me. They’ve clearly been caught off guard by a couple of these hires.

2 minutes ago, alincoln said:

And will be the next HC of Wisconsin

i mean, at this point that has to be pretty, pretty likely right?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Worked under Justin Wilcox one year who has a very good relationship with Sarkisian. 22nd isn't top 5 :)

sure but my point is that everything about him screams he is a lifer there - and anything we offer (which I am ok with offering just to be clear) is just going to result in him shopping the offer to up his salary

Just now, NoName said:

sure but my point is that everything about him screams he is a lifer there - and anything we offer (which I am ok with offering just to be clear) is just going to result in him shopping the offer to up his salary

JUST WISHCAST DAMN IT

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Many have tried to lure him south and failed, so it's probably safe to say he's a Badger "for life." Nothing tells me he's available, but I'd like to think we felt we were in a position to seriously inquire. Maybe we did. Regardless, the guy is a tremendous DC and underpaid relative to his performance.  

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If ash is the guy why did we fire all of his guys?

Legitimate question, so flame away if needed; but were they his guys? 
Were they not who Herman hired?

(and yes I’m assuming Herman, being the smartest football Mensa’ing coach to walk the earth told his DC whom to hire)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

This job would help him become the future head coach of Wisky.

• Hook 'Em 3

Really hoping the "Sark isn't returning Raymond's calls" thing is just misdirection. I like the Joseph hire but him being the main secondary coach isn't ideal imo, if we could pair him with an established CBs coach it'd be fantastic.

I don't think either are necessarily bad coaches but not sure how I feel about a secondary coached by Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon.

Edited by Dijon Robinson

5 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

(and yes I’m assuming Herman, being the smartest football Mensa’ing coach to walk the earth told his DC whom to hire)

The only one that was for his guy was Valai and he was let go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Valai was the guy Ash was allowed to bring with him, and Jay has been let go. Anyone thinking Ash is a legitimate candidate still thinks Golding had already said yes before the CG last night.

• Hook 'Em 2

We also have zero idea what degree of interest has been shown in other folks or what amount of communication there has been between Sark and Ash all along.

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

After years (decades) of settling for 4th and 5th options for staff positions, you would think we would understand that Texas can't just money whip elite coordinators and assistants into coming here.  

Wrong. Strong and Herman were the problem not Texas. Texas can money whip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

At this point, why not just keep Ash for another year. I think he'd do well but if he doesn't you just replace him next year when Boom is ready to coach again or someone like Odom is open to moving on. Defense got a lot better throughout the year which makes sense given no real offseason

On 1/8/2021 at 12:13 AM, ztejas said:

You said that Quinn Ewers "can fuck off". A class of 2022 guy that hasn't signed shit yet. Who is not a football legacy. That I very much do not want to fuck off. Don't get it twisted and assume that I think that whatever is posted here sways any of these kids - I just find certain remarks a bit tasteless. 

As tasteless as a hobo’s dick? You crabbing come mierda.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

While I agree with you in premise; maybe, just maybe, Sark and Ash had preliminary conversation with each of them agreeing to “explore options” but that they’d reconnect for a REAL interview post the CCG? 

I agree if Ash is selected he has no reason to be offended unless he is a little bitch. Ash will be here under one of the following circumstances.

a. Mutual agreement

Ash will know he was the choice over the remaining candidates which would put him in a good place also by him looking around he knows this is where he wants to be. This is the best circumstance moving forward.

b. Stuck with each other

The other is Ash got no offers and Sark could not get anyone he wanted and they are stuck with each other. Even this one can work because unless one is willing to fail they must make it work since they are now fully aware of their limitations in the open market.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

I don't buy that Football scoop article claiming Arnett is or has always been our top target. If that is true we have gone about this in a profoundly idiotic way. Could have locked him up days ago before Oregon got involved and certainly while LSU was still jerking itself to the idea of Freeman. We could still get Arnett but now it'll come with a 3 way bidding war driving up his price. So why wouldn't that have already been taken care of? Were we holding out for Quinn? That would be a pretty fucking dumb reason as him staying in the NFL was predictable as hell. 

The Raymond ghosting stuff is just bizarre and I'm not even going to bother trying to understand it until the hiring process is over. I'm a bit concerned we are trying to slow play him because Sark prefers Tosh and knows there isn't room for both plus the primary DC but Raymond is the kind of a guy where if you are getting a yes you take a yes and just write off whatever your 'alternative' plans were. 

Ash ultimately being the guy would feel like a bit of a dick punch but I went into this process reconciled to his return and being mostly okay with it so despite some sexier names having come and gone I guess I can't bitch if he is the choice. Especially if we just keep Hutzler. Would make that Joseph hire.. just fucking weird though since he isn't that great a complimentary piece to Ash. Lots of overlap in skillset and specialty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

After years (decades) of settling for 4th and 5th options for staff positions, you would think we would understand that Texas can't just money whip elite coordinators and assistants into coming here.  

Who have we actually tried to money whip? I can’t think of any crazy offers, but maybe I’ve just blocked those painful memories from my mind

About the only thing of relevance in Nahlin's most recent post. At least for once he's admitting he doesn't know shit.

Nahlin: Still don’t know who the DC is. I’m not sure Sarkisian does yet, either. I think it’s narrowed down to a couple but I don’t know who. I‘m expecting it to be a name we haven’t discussed much. Which is exciting, and scary.

We’ve mentioned Milwee isn’t big on recruiting but there are numerous ways to positively affect recruiting. From someone who knows the dynamic:

“He’s also masterful with breaking down film for game planning but also with recruiting. It’s one of the primary reasons he is Sark’s #1.”

From a different person who reads this board:

“Extremely smart and analytical. Really good QB too, if you look up his HS and college career. Think his Dad was a coach as well. Double check me on that. 100% Hayek guy to continue your analogy...”

Still don’t know who the DC is. I’m not sure Sarkisian does yet, either. I think it’s narrowed down to a couple but I don’t know who. I‘m expecting it to be a name we haven’t discussed much. Which is exciting, and scary.

Blake Gideon is friends with the North Shore OC. Kyle Flood has pulled two offensive linemen from the school in back to back years. Bo Davis coached there many moons ago.

UT should be okay recruiting the former pipeline school.

Terry Joseph can be the corners coach on a good recruiting staff but he’d be safeties coach on a great recruiting staff. It’s still to be determined what type of staff this will be.

He’s a better recruiter than given credit for.

There are a lot of advocates for Joseph’s coaching ability.

Blake Gideon is seen as a bridge to the younger group of Texas high school coaches. He’s friends with some notable ones. His relationships may not be what lands key recruits but he may unlock the door for others to do so.

He’s also seen as a very good ST’s coach. We’re still unsure what other position designation he’ll have.

Have heard there will be a concerted effort to make sure Sarkisian knows who all the key people are in the high school ranks right out of the gates. It sounds similar to when Mack Brown was immediately introduced to the head of the THSCA (his name escapes me) upon arrival. Mack took it from there.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

About the only thing of relevance in Nahlin's most recent post. At least for once he's admitting he doesn't know shit.

Lol imagine admitting that you literally dont know shit to your subscribers

Most recently the OU WR was money whipped and said no. 
Likely the LSU DB coach?

without knowing what 9.95 bullshit is true, it seems like a number of coaches for this cycle could fit in this category. Muschamp?  

nothing is  decided but I understand the concern over the disconnect between cdc saying that assistants and the money for them would be a high priority for sarks new staff. The expectations were set high and imo have not been met yet. 

we shall see.  there is no reason UT should not have the top 5 salaried coaches at each position ( translate to a top 5 coach) considering all the stuff we hear about our football revenue always being # 1