Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Would really like to see a separate thread on the 3 man front with Fud and Burt providing the commentary.

Some, like me, have been sloppy in our comments and caused confusion, while others have been just wrong in their understanding of the differences of the different schemes. Surly needs to get past this 3 man front bs that pops up twice a month. 

The main issue is that "3-man front" says as much about the defense as "1 TE offense" says about an offense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Texas should offer $2.5M to Boom and just ask him to forego the initial $500K year 1 in exchange for a guaranteed 3 year deal.  Damn I'm good. 

My rookie suggestion would be for UT to offer Boom whatever package they would normally, plus a cherry on top that UT will pay him (in installments over a number of years) any part of the max $3MM he's going for that SCAR for whatever reason doesn't end up giving him. Basically, backstop the $3MM and kill any dollars-and-cents reasons that Boom might have for not pulling the fucking trigger. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Bama 247 / Tim Watts / ***OC search/ coaching nuggets (Wednesday 10:30 AM)

(Flood arriving at Texas tonight/tomorrow;  no mention of Wiggins (leaving).)

Spoiler

***OC search/ coaching nuggets (Wednesday 10:30 AM)

Tim Watts

Here is the latest we have on the coaching situation.

-I would expect Kyle Flood to leave for Texas relatively soon. He was in the building today (all of the staff was), but sources believe he will be arriving in Austin as early as tonight/ tomorrow. He will be getting a promotion I'm told to offensive coordinator. So it's a good move for him.

-Two sources told me Bill O'Brien is in Tuscaloosa today and there is the good possibility he will take the OC job if everything falls in line. Wouldn't call it a done deal but it's trending that way. It's my understanding there are still a few things to work out on O'Brien's end but it is headed in a positive direction. We touched on O'Brien in yesterday's nugget (LINK: https://247sports.com/college/alabama/board/116/Contents/offensive-coordinator-search-159153253/?page=1) and we've discussed a few times him coming in before the Ohio State game to watch UA prep for the NC game.

-If these events fall as expected that will leave UA with one opening on the offensive line where we will be looking for names. One name to throw out there is Jeff Stoutland who was with the Eagles, where the head coach was just fired, and previously worked with Nick Saban at Alabama. There is a connection but Stoutland could be retained by the Eagles or be under consideration from other NFL teams. But I have been told he prefers the NFL.

-As for the other coaches on staff we have not confirmed any other movement. Doesn't mean it won't happen. It's the coaching game so it can change at any moment so we are watching. We've chased down a few rumors that turned out to be false. Which is normal. There will be more rumors and we don't rule anything out with a coaching job decision. Lot of jockeying going on around the nation.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Would really like to see a separate thread on the 3 man front with Fud and Burt providing the commentary.

Some, like me, have been sloppy in our comments and caused confusion, while others have been just wrong in their understanding of the differences of the different schemes. Surly needs to get past this 3 man front bs that pops up twice a month. 

TL:DR is Todd Orlando’s 3 man front defense is dog shit from a scheme perspective. Other 3 man fronts are schematically can be good and are good. 

basically Todd Orlando sucks at scheming and his scheme is for DL to just occupy space while pressure comes from LB/DB in exotic shit blitz packages. 

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Gabe reads Surly:

Is it just me or does it seem like more and more 9.95ers are making it pretty obvious that they read/monitor surly than in the past. Not sure if it is a sign of respect or admitting that in a desire for convince they come here instead of having subs everywhere else....

Just today we have Gabriel and Jaba the Ketch dropping hints they are on here...

And if that is the case, FUCK YOU CHIP BROWN AND THE PUSS FILLED WHORE YOU RODE IN ON!

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Handing them that severance check in person.  Classy move by the new coach.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re offering the Texas-exes some sort of soft landing in off-field roles. Could be fantasy because I don’t want to consider a scenario in which either guy is kept as a position coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re offering the Texas-exes some sort of soft landing in off-field roles. Could be fantasy because I don’t want to consider a scenario in which either guy is kept as a position coach. 

Giles as an analyst is a dream. Dont let him bumble fuck as a recruiter, dont rely on his lazy ass to get shit done but be around to offer input and stability

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

I don't remember in what exact detail the situation around Boom's contract situation has been discussed here already, but the theory that his reluctance to accept a job with UT (or any other program, for that matter) has legs IMO. In before the "lol, didn't read" responses, but summarizing for those that might be interested.

Hide contents

The jist of it that, in Dec. 2019, Boom wanted to keep then-RB-coach Thomas Brown from taking another job and was willing to amend his own contract to remove its $200K/yr escalation clause in order to facilitate the SCAR BOR's approving an extension and salary increase for Brown of the same amount. Boom took the proposal to the SCAR BOR, which approved Boom's amendment and Brown's new contract. Turns out Brown still left SCAR for the Rams a couple months later, so the rationale for Boom's amendment left with him and neither Boom nor SCAR ever signed his contract amendment that would have formally ripped out the escalation clause.

So the issue the BOR and Boom is debating is around whether the escalation clause still in Boom's base contract should be given effect (netting Boom an additional $3MM severance) or overridden by the amendment that was agreed to despite no pen to paper. On the BOR's side, they have formal meeting minutes where the SCAR AD (i.e. Boom's agent) is confirming Boom's agreement to the amendment (and they almost surely also have emails or other indications of agreement from Boom) that they'll argue are sufficient to stand in place of the paper that wasn't signed. On Boom's side, he would argue the minutes or any other indications of agreeing to the amendment are not legally binding because his agreement was actually clearly conditioned on Brown having remained at SCAR for at least the 2020 season. And even if found to be a binding contract, Boom also what I'd view as a strong "frustration of purpose" defense against enforcing it. The BOR will of course argue that purpose was not frustrated, because Brown signed his amendment (i.e., received the benefits of Boom's cut) and the purpose was in reality to incentivize Brown to stay at SCAR and him later deciding it wasn't enough to overcome a Rams offer doesn't mean that extra $200K didn't act as an incentive for Brown to not take that (or other) offers.

On top of that, as mentioned, Boom's base contract does not have a mitigation clause to offset his severance by any income received from a coaching job during the severance period (and neither did the purported amendment). Not that is speaks to the merits of the situation described above, but Boom taking a high-paying DC job during the middle of negotiations with SCAR on is poor strategy in that the BOR would find a way to use it against him and it would likely weigh against his favor in the eyes of any arbitrator or other neutral third party that might be involved in resolving this (not that it should, IMO). If an arbitrator/third party is involved, I would expect they would be pretty close to a final award/decision by now. But if they're simply duking this out between lawyers, that can take an amount of time and, if unsuccessful, could logically lead to litigation for resolution. 

TL; DR: Boom's wrapped up in a dispute with merits/arguments on both sides that could be resolved soon or a long time from now. If he actually wants to coach this season / take the UT DC gig, it's sound strategy to kick that can as far as it can go. If the dispute has no near-term end in sight, Boom would have a judgment call to make of whether the $3MM delta (max, could ultimately get less) he's fighting over is worth UT moving on because time is simply up. 

I'm no mathematician, but how does a $200k per year escalation clause add up to $3 million over 4 years?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Haven’t been able to follow this thread as much as I would like this morning. Really appreciate all the intel being posted as well as information from other sites.

Just working but today is my birthday. Lulz. Born on the 13th, ha! 

I was really impressed with Sarks PC yesterday even though it was an intro. I am excited about this season of football. Glad to see all the deliberation going into the hiring of the DC. Thanks for all the information! H

Cool, today is my nieces 4th bday. Pretty sure she was born on a Friday. Which would explain some things about her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Is it just me or does it seem like more and more 9.95ers are making it pretty obvious that they read/monitor surly than in the past. Not sure if it is a sign of respect or admitting that in a desire for convince they come here instead of having subs everywhere else....

Just today we have Gabriel and Jaba the Ketch dropping hints they are on here...

And if that is the case, FUCK YOU CHIP BROWN AND THE PUSS FILLED WHORE YOU RODE IN ON!

*pus

(unless you are referring to genitalia)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I'm no mathematician, but how does a $200k per year escalation clause add up to $3 million over 4 years?

It stacks: $200K (year 1), $400K (year 2), $600K (year 3), $800K (year 4), $1MM (year 5). So cumulative $3MM over the 5-year remaining term of the contract. 

Maybe. But it was also something the wider fan base liked to bitch and moan about under Orlando without actually understanding what they were talking about. You wouldn’t ever need to visit surly to know that particular topic is grossly misunderstood by many fans.

The thing is, it isn’t even worth a thread. It ain’t rocket surgery.

NSIAP - Nahlin on Coaching hires:

Trust and Staff Hires

We’re all wondering how things have been kept mostly quiet on the staff assembly front. It’s easy; nobody really knows anything.

The trilateral commission fully trusts Sarkisian to run a good process and is only on standby for when they’re needed. It’s his show, as it should be. The problem with that perspective from UT fans is they witnessed Charlie Strong and Tom Herman assemble subpar initial staffs. Strong in particular looked like he was assembling IKEA furniture in the dark with Steve Patterson manning the light switch.

If you watched the press conference yesterday Sark probably earned your trust. We all saw what the people who hired him have been raving about behind the scenes. He was impressive. He was strong. Dare I say, he was centralizing.

The man who worked for Pete Carroll knows the importance of putting together a quality staff from both a coaching and recruiting standpoint. Let’s sit back and watch how the pieces come together.

With Sark, AJ Milwee, and Kyle Flood on the offensive side of the ball, both the brains and recruiting brawn are already accounted for.

Defense is a different story. Bo Davis will probably be a really good recruiter. He’ll have to be because D-lineman are at a premium and along with the usual cast of characters, A&M is recruiting them at a high level.

Terry Joseph will be a good recruiter to go with supplying quality coaching. You know the recruit that’s not great at any one thing but good at everything? That sounds like Joseph. They’re still searching for an elite corners coach/recruiter, which would make Joseph an elite safeties coach. Similar to on-field success, you maximize by putting people in their best fit.

Disclaimer: It’s still possible that Joseph will be the corners coach.

Whoever coaches linebacker will likely be the brains of the defense, with a big assist from Joseph. Who that is remains a mystery but we think Mississippi State’s Zach Arnett is most likely.

There’s been some concern Arnett was interviewed but not offered the position at both Oregon and LSU. It could be as simple as those schools feeling he’s a lock to Texas. LSU just missed on Marcus Freeman in very public fashion and may not have wanted to go through that again. In time I should be able to get details on that.

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There’s been some concern Arnett was interviewed but not offered the position at both Oregon and LSU. It could be as simple as those schools feeling he’s a lock to Texas. LSU just missed on Marcus Freeman in very public fashion and may not have wanted to go through that again. In time I should be able to get details on that.

That is quite the leap Nahlin

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

One thing I forgot to add on the guys covering this stuff is that Jeff Howe is one of the good guys. He’s nice, he pays attention and has a good bullshit filter for what he’s being fed by recruits/street agents/he coaches, he gives a shit, he does leg work regarding watching guys and talking to folks, you name it. I will be surprised if he’s not at whatever Burton and crew are building before the end of 2021. 

That would certainly be testament to the everything is cyclical-if I recall correctly he was brought into the business to cover recruiting for IT when Gerry left to found Texas’ 247 site with Burton.  

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Terry Joseph will be a good recruiter to go with supplying quality coaching. You know the recruit that’s not great at any one thing but good at everything? That sounds like Joseph. They’re still searching for an elite corners coach/recruiter, which would make Joseph an elite safeties coach. Similar to on-field success, you maximize by putting people in their best fit.

CB9E5EA3-97B4-438C-9EEE-C643EAD9F63F.jpeg

Edited by Dijon Robinson
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BlackChicken said:

The deal with Briles was that he was coached up to say to Texas when they wanted to interview...I don't have to interview. You've seen my body of work. My teams have kicked your ass up and down the field. Hire me or don't, but I'm not going to beg for the job. 

That's pretty much how that went down. 

And obviously his refusal to interview reflected very well upon him and that's why he got offered the job, right?

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

One thing I forgot to add on the guys covering this stuff is that Jeff Howe is one of the good guys. He’s nice, he pays attention and has a good bullshit filter for what he’s being fed by recruits/street agents/he coaches, he gives a shit, he does leg work regarding watching guys and talking to folks, you name it. I will be surprised if he’s not at whatever Burton and crew are building before the end of 2021. 

That would surprise me.  Howe is fine, but he goes decidedly against IT's style of thinking they're writing real journalism that is proofread and (intended to be) witty.  Nahlin and Co's jokes don't always land, but they're always trying to turn a phrase and captivate their reader.  Howe's work, on the other hand, is basically a recursion of his self:  large amounts of pabulum pumped out and plopped guilelessly in front of an audience.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, RGBIII said:

We do need to talk about the fact the the DC absolutely is not Golding. No way we wouldn’t have heard shit on him by now if he was the DC. Man I thought inside texas was going to have the juice with all the coaching search but they are absolutely grasping at straws. I think they got in with the BMDs more than the admin and aren’t getting fed shit at this point, while lap dog FCB is just being hand fed by CDC. What a strange turn of events

Is CDC trying to "reform" or "turn" FCB ? WTF is up w/ giving this running sore any info except a fart in his general direction--the hit piece writer who basically hates the program. 

Do not like this approach at all from him, even if it is "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" strategy. He is in the UT Hall Of Douche, along w/ Kork Bowels, Kork Herpstreet, & Lowell Galindo IMO.

Edited by El Squared

5 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Is CDC trying to "reform" or "turn" FCB ? WTF is up w/ giving this running sore any info except a fart in his general direction--the hit piece writer who basically hates the program. 

Could be. May be CDC's way of letting Chip know "I've got my eye on you..." but ADs and coaches need and use mouthpieces to get their messages out. No telling why CDC chose Chip for now.