Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am interested to see how Coleman fares without Herman micromanaging his position group. I will hold back any judgement until he gets a season to run his room and pick his recruits. 

You have to think he’s a good developer...Snyder thought enough of him knowing K-State wasn’t going to get to many 4&5 stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Drayton was considered the Best hire under Tom, don’t forget it just because we hiring all these Bama assistants. 
Drayton has done excellent since he’s been here 

I wouldn’t say he’s been excellent. But I’m also not sure how much of his mediocrity is due to herman. Just like Coleman, the hope is things get better under sark. 
I do remember being excited about his initial hiring. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

28 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Now that they have a ring they are ready to get paid again.  Also, according to him, BOB wasn't gonna be a good fit with some of the staff that is leaving, specifically Flood as OL is what he claims. Not sure if he meant BOB wants someone else or the blocking schemes or what.  Also says that anyone thinking Golden leaving is a positive is out of their mind, Bama doesn't play 2008 SEC offenses anymore.

4ttxmg.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm always leery when we inherit assistant coaches that other fanbases didn't like. The North Carolina fans warned us about Greg Davis. The Auburn fans were happy to see Herb Hand go. Ohio State fans couldn't wait to unload Tim Beck on us.  OU fans were fine about Jay Boulware coming here. On the opposite side, the South Carolina guys were bummed about losing Hutzler. When we took both Muschamp and Chizik from Auburn, the fans were pissed. The only one I can think of that didn't work out was Wickline, who the Okie Lite guys weren't happy about, but I'm not sure that anybody was going to be functional under the Strong/Watson regime. 

I know this is a stupid data point on its surface, but I think there is some validity to it. I'd rather not take Golding when the Bama fanbase is ready to run him off. I think there are better options.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I don't know much about Goulding but I do know that Bama fans are crazy if they think they will play the same type of defense as they did in the 2000s and early 2010s.  The SEC is switching to the air-raid spread and is mimicking the Big 12.  Naturally, it will be harder to play defense.  In addition, Bama has done so as well and when you score more, you give the other team more possessions to score as well.  Their next DC will still have similar issues.  The old days of the SEC running the ball on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down are gone... except for aggy and Jimbo's outdated offense.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I thought about that. Not sure. Maybe I can find a stand-in that won't embarrass me on the call.

There's hope, but it doesn't sound like much of it left.

I have mine scheduled for next Tuesday, 4:00 PM.  Happy to report back afterwards if someone hasn't done so already.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Of all of the Saban Coordinators that left for Head jobs where does this rank on amount of staff stolen? I dont think even Kirby took this many

Given the way Sark talks about Saban, I would assume that this was all coordinated. Saban just won his 7th title. He can now pick the best coach in the country for each of the vacant position. He knows that all of these guys are replaceable and that Sark will need more help to be successful. It makes him look good around the coaching fraternity to aide his assistants and he will be rewarded for it. Coaches will be running to Tuscaloosa to be the next guy in line. They know their resume will now be littered with 5 star recruits and be a part of the Bama system.

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm always leery when we inherit assistant coaches that other fanbases didn't like. The North Carolina fans warned us about Greg Davis. The Auburn fans were happy to see Herb Hand go. Ohio State fans couldn't wait to unload Tim Beck on us.  OU fans were fine about Jay Boulware coming here. On the opposite side, the South Carolina guys were bummed about losing Hutzler. When we took both Muschamp and Chizik from Auburn, the fans were pissed. The only one I can think of that didn't work out was Wickline, who the Okie Lite guys weren't happy about, but I'm not sure that anybody was going to be functional under the Strong/Watson regime. 

I know this is a stupid data point on its surface, but I think there is some validity to it. I'd rather not take Golding when the Bama fanbase is ready to run him off. I think there are better options.

Gotta remember, Bama fans are in denial right now. They think they should still be holding teams to single digits...With the SEC moving to modern style offenses no Defense is going to be able to do that consistently. 

2 hours ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, jinx said:
No it isn't.  Unless Terry Joseph has been named as an official coach by Texas and I missed.  It seemed to be the list of high level (meaning not FCB) rumors, but it was still rumors.  Now it is dead.

He's been reported as in the building. Do you think he's just here to interview?

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

WTH are you talking about. Joseph is in the building and currently working for Texas.

1 hour ago, Bigbend1812 said:

That’s because there hasn’t been any hires. 

I'm not trying to argue with all of you, but here are some screen shots from what is posted in the "Official Assistant Coach Firings and Hirings" thread.  If these are official announcements, then I will accept your abuse.

image.thumb.png.b5b4da41b2348de75e5f8c82eca02580.png

image.thumb.png.bda3063e6f8ce35df02e3dac106aa2f2.pngimage.thumb.png.9294731fc72e016a27d7ace770d4b5e4.png

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Given the way Sark talks about Saban, I would assume that this was all coordinated. Saban just won his 7th title. He can now pick the best coach in the country for each of the vacant position. He knows that all of these guys are replaceable and that Sark will need more help to be successful. It makes him look good around the coaching fraternity to aide his assistants and he will be rewarded for it. Coaches will be running to Tuscaloosa to be the next guy in line. They know their resume will now be littered with 5 star recruits and be a part of the Bama system.

Saban did not want to lose Banks. I don't think he thinks Sark betrayed him but I'm sure if he could feel emotion it would be annoyance

Helluva morning to decide to take a night off from this thread, lol!

Fucking pumped by these hires!  Robbing a good portion of the best offensive staff at Alabama ever has a nice ring to it!

Bring on the DC hire, Sark!  Lets fucking go!

One thing to consider about Golding (I see CTJ mentioned it now)--last year Bama had to start 2 true freshmen LBs. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/with-2-starting-lbs-out-for-season-nick-saban-says-2-true-freshmen-now-top-depth-chart/

Their defense was still good and the LBs played well from my understanding

Bama has 2 LB coaches so I don't know how much Golding gets for that, but I think it's a positive data point

Our LB room is finally in a good place so I hope we can get someone to develop it (RIP Hutzler, the guy I wanted to keep most)

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I am in a “prove it” mode on Golding. In looking into what’s out there on him, he doesn’t seem like a great communicator to me.  Like he doesn’t make things clear enough for the players, so they fuck up their assignments a lot.  I think you can trace back a lot of the Tide fans’ complaints to that root cause.  Also, in the title game, the db technique seemed pretty shaky, and that was with one of the all time great db coaches as head coach.  I’m not sure what to think about what went wrong there.  I tend to think it’s more confusion about what to do.  Again, it’s show me, but what I’ve seen so far is not inspiring me.  

Not sure this constitutes proof, but it's certainly evidence that would seem to challenge your hypothesis.

Exhibit A:

image.png.850fbf489e95cfabfbcbed45d527d0ba.png

Exhibit B:

image.png.3d4bd44d3950bfa63b7e72dde1b13a2e.png

I think most would say that Clemson has a pretty solid defense, and Fields worked them over something fierce. 

Modern defense has evolved and the emphasis has shifted towards 1) limiting explosive offensive plays and 2) being stingy in the red zone. While disruptive plays and turnovers are still great outcomes, you can't be solely dependent on those things vs. modern offenses. This is particularly true is your own offense is prolific, as your defense is going to be on the field a lot more.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Golding isn't the first choice for me either, but he's a golden boy handpicked by Saban and he's done well. He's had LB problems regarding injuries and youth while DC there. He's known as an innovator and that's not going to hurt when competing in the Big 12. I'm not exactly pumped about seeing him match wits with Lincoln Riley, in any event.

Interesting thinking around some of this to me.

One thing we know about Milwee is that offensive minds around him wanted him badly to join their new regimes. He also ran some innovative shit up at Akron before making the jump to the Bama analyst pool. As far as a QB coach goes, you're either looking for a promising apprentice that will have his own insights for the offense and a ton of energy, like Milwee, or someone who has been around the block and will make sure the QB room has its shit together, like Tim Beck. The notion people carry of having an ace recruiter at the QB Coach slot is ignorant. I'd love it if the QB Coach can recruit, sure, but it's not a throwaway position where you hide a guy for recruiting purposes. Milwee apparently did really well with Jones and Tua while working with them at Bama.

Gideon is believed to be one of the brightest bulbs in the young assistant crowd. They don't become big names in full demand without starting somewhere. People have raved about him at every stop, Ole Miss didn't want to lose him, and he's already tapping into his dad's network and hustling with HS coaches. If he's not a home run hire, he's an extra base hit.

Coleman I will not defend. I would have rather seen Colbert, Wiggins, Simmons, or an unknown with a better history of performance. It's obvious Sarkisian knows what he's doing with staff assembly, given he put some good ones together previously and many of those guys went on to bigger things, and he knows offense, but I struggle to give the benefit of the doubt on this one given the opportunity cost.

I know we recruitniks enjoy running down Drayton, but he's a home run in the sense that he provides stability with the best player on the team. If Texas lands LJ Johnson, I have a hard time knocking Drayton on this staff as either a recruiter or coach. Other schools and the NFL have called on him every offseason, allegedly. He would have landed Cain had it not been for Fuckface. He's a pretty fucking great guy to have on the staff if the staff is generally competent. He was revered at Ohio State, and Chicago tried to keep him when he came to Texas. It's not going to shock me if, when on a staff of quality peers, he's suddenly someone we view as major asset on all fronts.

Davis, Banks, Flood, and Joseph are inarguable to anyone other than the unwashed. 

The guys that cover Texas and recruiting are fistpumping right now about this staff. Ecstatic. 

I'm not disputing that these aren't all "home runs", just adding color to an interesting part of the staffing subject.

Gideon and Milwee seem like the types you groom to eventually take over as OC/DC within your program. In a few years I wouldn't doubt we see stories of Milwee taking more responsibility in play calls and etc during games. With regards to Gideon he could be that guy you put directly underneath the coordinator's positional duties with say LB, if Golding is the the guy, and let him work with Golding and learn everything. 

It seems like that would be the best structure for both of these young guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I thought about that. Not sure. Maybe I can find a stand-in that won't embarrass me on the call.

There's hope, but it doesn't sound like much of it left.

Put me in the ring as volunteer for stand-in. As a white male bird lawyer I’ll get lost in the sea of donors on-screen /katfid

Joking but serious

18 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Gotta remember, Bama fans are in denial right now. They think they should still be holding teams to single digits...With the SEC moving to modern style offenses no Defense is going to be able to do that consistently. 

This is where I am.  SEC offenses are becoming as dynamic as Big 12 offenses.  

10 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Not sure this constitutes proof, but it's certainly evidence that would seem to challenge your hypothesis.

Exhibit A:

image.png.850fbf489e95cfabfbcbed45d527d0ba.png

Exhibit B:

image.png.3d4bd44d3950bfa63b7e72dde1b13a2e.png

I think most would say that Clemson has a pretty solid defense, and Fields worked them over something fierce. 

Modern defense has evolved and the emphasis has shifted towards 1) limiting explosive offensive plays and 2) being stingy in the red zone. While disruptive plays and turnovers are still great outcomes, you can't be solely dependent on those things vs. modern offenses. This is particularly true is your own offense is prolific, as your defense is going to be on the field a lot more.

Not to be that guy, because I really would love a Golding hire to work out, but these comparisons are skewed by the fact Trey Sermon got hurt on his first carry against Bama. He ran all over Clemson’s D and helped open the secondary for Fields.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ehhhhh

At the very least he preformed the best out of Herman's staff. Ingram over-bulked and is injury prone, but Tre Watson, Bijan and Roschon all improved under his coaching. And Bijan made it very clear Drayton was one of the biggest reasons he is in Austin (even if it was Carrington who identified him). He may not be Frank Wilson, but we could do much worse.  

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

They will be top 15 for the next few years but i suspect that is not good enough in "T" town, especially when you get your legs chopped off and your pipeline gashed like today.    Combine that with BOB and its not the recipe for elite, only top 15 ish. Jmo.  

This is fucking stupid.  Saban could roll the offense back to the Greg McElroy days and insist on winning 9-7 rock fights every week, and he'd still win the SEC and make the playoffs every year.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Katfid54 said:

This is fucking stupid.  Saban could roll the offense back to the Greg McElwain days and insist on winning 9-7 rock fights every week, and he'd still win the SEC and make the playoffs every year.

Go back to your fucking hole poppit.

• Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Bama boards have hated him since day 1.

He's a LA/TX coach who runs a newfangled "spread defense" and calls his primary pass rusher a LB.

Doesn't seem like we really know the answer here. But if Saban really didn't think he was a good coach, Sark would be well aware of that. And as the OC, Sark would also be intimately aware of the defense's short comings. If he consistently thought that Golding was putting out a bad defense, I can't imagine he would consider hiring him.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

This is fucking stupid.  Saban could roll the offense back to the Greg McElwain days and insist on winning 9-7 rock fights every week, and he'd still win the SEC and make the playoffs every year.

Saban hired Locksley just to prove he could win with an offensive coordinator that didn't know shit about calling plays, he'll be fine 

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Do you bring the monkey in on the first day - when everyone is excited - or do you hold back and wait until maybe everyone needs a little pick me up, and then 'BAM' you bring the monkey?

Sarkisian will take a monkey offseason pic like Charlie's tiger pic.

• Hook 'Em 1