Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

4tu19k.gif

Hey I got held up at meetings for the big game this week.  Is it cool if my girlfriend picks the kids up at school and runs them to their soccer game?  Oh yeah I almost forgot.  Is it OK if she has her pet monkey with her?   

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
This morning, new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian held a Zoom call where all former Texas football lettermen were invited.

I’ve received some immediate feedback from the meeting.

A couple of notes:

- when asked about players opting out, Sark replied, “let’s call it what it is - quitting.”

- spent some time discussing the importance of all three phases of the game. Feels like Texas has to win on offense, defense and special teams.

- relayed that he felt like former Texas QB Major Applewhite, who was an analyst at Alabama this year, would spend at least one season as offensive coordinator at South Alabama.

- said he has to develop players once they get to campus but that process actually starts by explaining to those same players that star ratings and rankings no longer matter at the college level. Each player starts fresh when they get to college.

- went on to explain that his feeling is team’s need to try to be one unit, not a collection of individuals.

We should have more about this call in the next 24 hours as we speak to more of its participants.

Good to know they want to push their buddies into Texas coaching jobs, Major had more than enough opportunity to fail here, hard pass 

Edited by Teryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

What exactly does that mean?  Was he off-limits?  And - how is anyone off-limits?

It appears you are unfamiliar with Labor Law 29 C.F.R 101.512 - Where an employer of a potential applicant must notify and receive approval from the applicant's fanbase before offering employment. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Not to be that guy, because I really would love a Golding hire to work out, but these comparisons are skewed by the fact Trey Sermon got hurt on his first carry against Bama. He ran all over Clemson’s D and helped open the secondary for Fields.

Maybe. Master Teague and Sermon platooned for most the year, with Teague being the starter for the first 6 games. And he was fully healthy vs. Bama. Not to discount the loss of Sermon, who is clearly talented. However, it's not like Teague was some scrub walk-on either. 

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm always leery when we inherit assistant coaches that other fanbases didn't like. The North Carolina fans warned us about Greg Davis. The Auburn fans were happy to see Herb Hand go. Ohio State fans couldn't wait to unload Tim Beck on us.  OU fans were fine about Jay Boulware coming here. On the opposite side, the South Carolina guys were bummed about losing Hutzler. When we took both Muschamp and Chizik from Auburn, the fans were pissed. The only one I can think of that didn't work out was Wickline, who the Okie Lite guys weren't happy about, but I'm not sure that anybody was going to be functional under the Strong/Watson regime. 

I know this is a stupid data point on its surface, but I think there is some validity to it. I'd rather not take Golding when the Bama fanbase is ready to run him off. I think there are better options.

Agreed to some extent, although the Washington fans seem to be mocking us for hiring Sark. And so far, Sark seems like a very solid choice. 

TFB

I am told that Mississippi State defensive coordinator, Zach Arnett is set to interview with coach Sark today.

Could not confirm if the interview will be held on Zoom or in person but was able to confirm that they are set to speak today.

As I mentioned earlier this week, still believe Golding and Pruitt are in the mix, as well.

It does appear that Sark is making this a legitimate search instead of the “business as usual” and “hire who you know” type deal.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm always leery when we inherit assistant coaches that other fanbases didn't like. The North Carolina fans warned us about Greg Davis. The Auburn fans were happy to see Herb Hand go. Ohio State fans couldn't wait to unload Tim Beck on us.  OU fans were fine about Jay Boulware coming here. On the opposite side, the South Carolina guys were bummed about losing Hutzler. When we took both Muschamp and Chizik from Auburn, the fans were pissed. The only one I can think of that didn't work out was Wickline, who the Okie Lite guys weren't happy about, but I'm not sure that anybody was going to be functional under the Strong/Watson regime. 

I know this is a stupid data point on its surface, but I think there is some validity to it. I'd rather not take Golding when the Bama fanbase is ready to run him off. I think there are better options.

I think you are right, but remember Bama fans aren't used to having to play defense against modern offenses. They also aren't used to being an offensive driven team, which will skew the results of defensive performance. Their defensive stats falling are directly related to their offensive numbers increasing, and with Sark having such a quick strike offense this year they were on the field a lot more. Their defensive efficiency fell to the 30's, which is unthinkable if you are keeping the old ways in mind. For context, we were generally happy with Ash's defense with similar rankings.

My main question is, the two high scoring games against spread teams this year. Was that a fluke or signs of something bigger? He did pretty well in the NC game, so it is pretty hard to know at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bama gonna Bama.  It is a Dynasty.  That said everything comes to an end.  Is that now?  Who knows.  Before the game the other night i had never seen Saban smile so big and so naturally.  I don't take that as a good sign for that guy.  I'm not callin the end but probability is obvious to everyone that he has a steep mountain to climb to get #8.  They will be top 15 for the next few years but i suspect that is not good enough in "T" town, especially when you get your legs chopped off and your pipeline gashed like today.    Combine that with BOB and its not the recipe for elite, only top 15 ish. Jmo.  

Are you remotely aware of the kind of talent Alabama has stockpiled?

26 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Put me in the ring as volunteer for stand-in. As a white male bird lawyer I’ll get lost in the sea of donors on-screen /katfid

Joking but serious

I don't know about your bird lawyering skills, but as for flights, your bird dogging skills are elite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

I am told that Mississippi State defensive coordinator, Zach Arnett is set to interview with coach Sark today.

Could not confirm if the interview will be held on Zoom or in person but was able to confirm that they are set to speak today.

As I mentioned earlier this week, still believe Golding and Pruitt are in the mix, as well.

It does appear that Sark is making this a legitimate search instead of the “business as usual” and “hire who you know” type deal.

The way DC is playing out I believe the report (from IT i think) that Sark initially had a tentative 'yes' from Muschamp. That fell through for whatever reason and we pivoted to an actual coaching search process that was delayed by the National Championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Don't see any recent flights out of Starkville so it must be zoom. Did see a flight from Birmingham and Baton Rouge though. 

Just now, gmr548 said:

Are you remotely aware of the kind of talent Alabama has stockpiled?

Bama has more 5 stars in this one incoming class than we had had the last 5-6 years.  

I could be the ducking OC for Bama and call the same run play every down and I would win the fucking Broyles award.  

They are the closest thing to an NFL team in college.  Their players are bigger, faster, stronger, more focused, and more motivated than any other team.

On a different note, college football isn’t fun anymore when it’s the same fucking 2-3 teams in the playoffs every year with Bama or Clemson winning it.  Not sure what the solution is, but it’s become stale and boring for anyone outside of those fan bases.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

college football isn’t fun anymore when it’s the same fucking 2-3 teams in the playoffs every year with Bama or Clemson winning it.  Not sure what the solution is, but it’s become stale and boring for anyone outside of those fan bases.

The solution is for Texas to become elite again and be in the playoffs every year. I promise you, that will be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Golding put together a pretty impressive game plan vs tOSU, and tOSU was executing at a pretty high level, especially in the first half. I was watching for defensive adjustments at halftime, and he did a good job with that. If he can give us a similarly effective defense to what Ash gave us this last year, then anything above that will be gravy. I believe that he can do that. 

I am going with Alabama message board opinions that wish Pruitt was back and Golding was gone. They seem to think he sucks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Pulling for Arnett here... too many arrows pointing to him being the one we need running the defense Sark wants to run.

I mentioned earlier that a friend of mine knows Sark well and said he's a great guy. I think all of these coaches following him here is an indication that he is a fantastic leader that people want to be around. Saban is the greatest coach of all time, but he's also not someone you like to be around. You get your education and pay, and then move on.

This is an incredible turn of events from one month ago.

• Hook 'Em 8

20 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Would not be surprised with all of his various health issues if that's as far as he can extend his fingers these days.  Kinda sad to see him in a scooter again, he was moving around pretty well a few years ago.

It is.  His hands were like that back in the late 90s.  Watching him sign an autograph made me wince.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
This morning, new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian held a Zoom call where all former Texas football lettermen were invited.

I’ve received some immediate feedback from the meeting.

A couple of notes:

- when asked about players opting out, Sark replied, “let’s call it what it is - quitting.”

- spent some time discussing the importance of all three phases of the game. Feels like Texas has to win on offense, defense and special teams.

- relayed that he felt like former Texas QB Major Applewhite, who was an analyst at Alabama this year, would spend at least one season as offensive coordinator at South Alabama.

- said he has to develop players once they get to campus but that process actually starts by explaining to those same players that star ratings and rankings no longer matter at the college level. Each player starts fresh when they get to college.

- went on to explain that his feeling is team’s need to try to be one unit, not a collection of individuals.

We should have more about this call in the next 24 hours as we speak to more of its participants.

These are all solid points. Putting his foot down on the entitlement that has plagued Texas for ... ever. Looking for team unity. This is a culture change. 

13 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Agreed to some extent, although the Washington fans seem to be mocking us for hiring Sark. And so far, Sark seems like a very solid choice. 

And Patriots fans mocked USC for hiring Pete Carrol. #Harrison Ford who gives a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

But we're giving him a pass on all the guys he knew from Alabama?  😛