Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

17 minutes ago, Teryor said:

FCB

Hide contents

SARKISIAN FINALIZING HIS TEXAS STAFF

We held off The Insider from moving Thursday morning, because Wednesday night I’d heard some rumblings that Jeff Banks was about to pull the trigger on what we know now is a three-year, $3.15 million deal to become Texas’ special teams coordinator and tight ends coach.

I'm glad we held off, because we've heard some interesting information on Sarkisian's leading defensive coordinator candidate. More on that in a second.

Since the hiring of Steve Sarkisian was announced back on Jan. 2, we’d heard Banks would be Sarkisian's top choice as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. As we’ve reported, Banks had been telling folks in and around Alabama that he’s happy where is - but that was really to keep the peace through Alabama’s national championship game against Ohio State.

On Wednesday night, Banks broke the news to Nick Saban that he would be joining Sarkisian at Texas and explained to Saban that it was because Banks has young children living in College Station and wants to be closer to them.

Saban understood but isn’t at all happy, considering Banks is a top-end special teams coordinator and an elite recruiter who has strong connections in Texas and helped land former Texas quarterback commit Jalen Milroe and inside linebacker Kendrick Blackshire of Duncanville, among others.

Little-known fact regarding Banks: Tom Herman tried to hire Banks off Alabama’s staff last year, when Herman ended up hiring Jay Boulware. Banks didn’t feel strongly enough about Herman’s job status at Texas to leave a good situation at Alabama, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

We’ll recap Sarkisian’s staff and where things stand in a moment. But let’s address the defensive coordinator position for a second.

A source told me on Tuesday they were hearing Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding was headed to Texas. Considering Golding had coached with Bo Davis at UTSA in 2017, that made a lot of sense since we were the first to report Davis heading to Texas as a D-line coach back on Jan. 7.

Chris Ash (Photo: Ricardo B. Brazziell, USA TODAY Sports)
But I was also hearing Sarkisian had yet to speak to Chris Ash, who is popular with UT administrators, and that Golding has a $1.8 million buyout at Alabama. And, of course, Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, is already pissed off that Sarkisian is taking Banks and offensive line coach Kyle Flood from Bama’s staff (not to mention former Bama analyst A.J. Milwee).

If you’re going to raid the staff of the man who helped you get the Texas job, you might have to wait and see if Saban has a person in mind to replace Golding and if Saban can make sure he can get said replacement.

I heard Thursday the key to Golding being named the defensive coordinator at Texas would be Saban’s ability to hire Dan Lanning away from Georgia to replace Golding as Alabama's defensive coordinator.

If that happens, watch for Will Muschamp to join his good friend Kirby Smart as defensive coordinator at Georgia - Muschamp’s alma mater and also where Muschamp's oldest son, Jackson, is a walk-on football player.

Something to watch: I’m hearing Ash, who has $800,000 still guaranteed to him from Texas for 2021, is a candidate to join Urban Meyer’s staff in Jacksonville.

Last week in The Insider, we reported Sarkisian had a short list of candidates for defensive coordinator. That list included former Atlanta Falcons head coach and former Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman and Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett.

Quinn has been hired by the Dallas Cowboys and has offered the Cowboys' defensive line coaching position to Tosh Lupoi, a source told Horns247. More on Lupoi in a second.

Freeman was hired by Brian Kelly at Notre Dame, and Arnett, who is also a defensive coordinator candidate at Oregon, apparently didn't overwhelm LSU in an interview this week.

But Arnett - and even Lupoi - could still be defensive coordinator candidates for Sarkisian if things somehow fall apart with Golding (and Ash decides to join Meyer's staff in Jacksonville).

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)
So there are still some moving pieces before things become totally clear on the defensive coordinator front. But that picture could become very clear - very quickly.

As far as who Sarkisian would hire to coach outside linebackers/defensive ends, Oscar Giles was expected to get an interview from Sarkisian. Giles worked with Bo Davis at Texas under Mack Brown, when Davis coached the defensive tackles and Giles coached defensive ends.

We’ve reported Lupoi, who has expertise in coaching outside linebackers/defensive ends and worked under Sarkisian at Washington (before Lupoi joined Alabama’s staff and then moved on to the NFL), would want a co-defensive coordinator title.

I’m told for that to happen, something would have to break down with the candidates ahead of Lupoi for defensive coordinator.

Lupoi and Golding worked together at Alabama in 2018, when Lupoi called the defense and Golding was his co-coordinator (before Saban encouraged Lupoi to find another job, so Saban could promote Golding, which led Lupoi to the NFL).

Lupoi spent the 2019 season as the D-line coach of the Cleveland Browns and the 2020 season as the D-line coach of the Atlanta Falcons under Quinn.

We’ve also heard Lupoi could be a candidate for the Oregon defensive coordinator job (and Lupoi’s wife is from the Pacific Northwest and apparently would love to get back there if possible).

So, there are still a couple question marks on Sarkisian’s staff that will be answered soon.

With Banks being hired as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator, we’re hearing Blake Gideon will likely coach the safeties while providing a strong assist to Banks coaching special teams.

(Photo: Matt Cashore, 247Sports)
Terry Joseph, who has coached defensive backs at Louisiana Tech (2007-09), Tennessee (2010-11), Nebraska (2012-13), Texas A&M (2014-16) and North Carolina (2017) and coached safeties at Notre Dame (2018-20), is expected to coach the cornerbacks.

Both Banks and Joseph have served as recruiting coordinators at previous stops and both have strong connections in Texas. According to 247Sports, Banks is ranked among the top five recruiters in college football for 2021.

Our man Mike Roach has been killing it with his analysis of all Sark’s assistants as recruiters. And I think it’s fair to say, Sarkisian understands the importance of recruiting on his new staff in Austin.

Here’s where things stand with Sarkisian’s staff as best we can tell at the moment:

Offensive coordinator/offensive line coach - Kyle Flood

Tight ends coach/Special teams coordinator - Jeff Banks

Quarterbacks coach - AJ Milwee

Running backs coach - Stan Drayton

Receivers coach - Andre Coleman

Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach - Pete Golding (leading candidate at this moment, per our sources)

Defensive line coach - Bo Davis

Outside linebackers - Tosh Lupoi/Oscar Giles/Other

Safeties coach - Blake Gideon

Cornerbacks coach - Terry Joseph

Stay tuned.

Would normally assume all of this is bullshit but now that he is the CDC chosen mouthpiece.. have to say his explanation for the Golding situation actually makes a lot of sense. Certainly more any of the other floated scenarios or explanations as to why the fuck the coaching search is taking so long at DC / who is involved. 

Hoping he is at least wrong about us potentially hiring a second DL guy to be DE/OLB and DC to do ILB. Really feels like a predictable disaster if we only have Joseph and Gideon handling the secondary and no one with a positive track record working with CBs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From OBs
Arnett is interviewing for the job via Zoom right now.

Would prefer Arnett over dealing with the BamaUGAMuschamp circle jerk... especially if that means we get to jettison Giles into the sun and go after one more rainmaker on D

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Would normally assume all of this is bullshit but now that he is the CDC chosen mouthpiece.. have to say his explanation for the Golding situation actually makes a lot of sense. Certainly more any of the other floated scenarios or explanations as to why the fuck the coaching search is taking so long at DC / who is involved. 

Hoping he is at least wrong about us potentially hiring a second DL guy to be DE/OLB and DC to do ILB. Really feels like a predictable disaster if we only have Joseph and Gideon handling the secondary and no one with a positive track record working with CBs. 

Joseph actaullly has coached corners. At Tenn, A&M and N.Carolina for what I know..

5 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Dawg we got so wrapped up in this coaching shit..

don’t let it distract you from the fact Sark gets Card and Thompson to work with all off-season for the starting QB slot 200.gif

What is this? A hfd sock?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Anwar said there was a non coach staffer who may go to Jacksonville. Anyone know who it is? I ain't paying for that shit.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lovo I think 

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Joseph actaullly has coached corners. At Tenn, A&M and N.Carolina for what I know..

The perception of him as a CB coach seems to be fairly shit, though, based on his prior stops before ND. Is much more well regarded when it comes to developing safeties. Hard to tell how much of that is reality vs how much is just retroactive 'oh yeah he sucks' after he left those programs or now that he has gone to Texas though. Maybe he will be the kind of player developmental ace our secondary has been sorely lacking for.. a decade, basically, and I just need to stop worrying about it. 

Just now, texifornia said:

Yeah he's in town and working, but they haven't actually officially announced any of the new hires except Sark.

He's non-playcalling OC though - Sark's the real guy.

I hope thats the case. We hired Sark to be that offensive mind, not to hand off duties to someone else. Our defensive coordinator will be Sark's most important hire. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I hope thats the case. We hired Sark to be that offensive mind, not to hand off duties to someone else. Our defensive coordinator will be Sark's most important hire. 

Sark said explicitly that would be the case and that it didn't work the one time he tried to hand playcalling off in 2015.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

The perception of him as a CB coach seems to be fairly shit, though, based on his prior stops before ND. Is much more well regarded when it comes to developing safeties. Hard to tell how much of that is reality vs how much is just retroactive 'oh yeah he sucks' after he left those programs or now that he has gone to Texas though. Maybe he will be the kind of player developmental ace our secondary has been sorely lacking for.. a decade, basically, and I just need to stop worrying about it. 

Nah I’m worried to...I was definitely hoping for a bigger name for the CB’s also...But Sark has been great so I guess all we can do is trust his judgement on this 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He said in an interview his ability to call plays was the reason he got HC offers so why would he quit when he got the one he wanted.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Giles is like Coleman, a good coach we can keep until we upgrade them. There seems to be enough recruiting rainmakers to make up for any perceived deficiencies on the staff, tho lest we forget the recent haul Giles has gotten.

With Arnett we could hire Lupoi to coach OLB/DL as Co-DC which means Giles can kick rocks. 

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Nah I’m worried to...I was definitely hoping for a bigger name for the CB’s also...But Sark has been great so I guess all we can do is trust his judgement on this 

At this point they are 'hitting' on so many A+ hires that I completely agree; if the biggest question mark we come out of this hiring phase with is "only Gideon and Joseph to coach secondary?" they will still have done a remarkably good job and deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

The feedback on Joseph is inconsistent anyway. Agger feelings on Joseph (dating back to before we hired him so not stained by just their typical salty retardation) seem to be he was an excellent recruiter but terrible at player development. ND is kind of the opposite; lots of praise for his development of safeties but concerns he isn't a great recruiter (I blame ND being a shitty pretentious playground for pedophiles that kids don't want to leave the south the play for, personally). Everyone seems to agree he has a great 'football IQ' and should help us developing defensive schemes against Big 12 offenses, though. 

2 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I hope Sark brought up Banks and his monkey loving stripper during the job interview. Might explain why CDC was so fired up about the staff. 

Don’t have to hire out for all-staff meetings. Can keep the entertainment in-house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

At this point they are 'hitting' on so many A+ hires that I completely agree; if the biggest question mark we come out of this hiring phase with is "only Gideon and Joseph to coach secondary?" they will still have done a remarkably good job and deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

The feedback on Joseph is inconsistent anyway. Agger feelings on Joseph (dating back to before we hired him so not stained by just their typical salty retardation) seem to be he was an excellent recruiter but terrible at player development. ND is kind of the opposite; lots of praise for his development of safeties but concerns he isn't a great recruiter (I blame ND being a shitty pretentious playground for pedophiles that kids don't want to leave the south the play for, personally). Everyone seems to agree he has a great 'football IQ' and should help us developing defensive schemes against Big 12 offenses, though. 

So maybe somewhere in the middle? 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sark said explicitly that would be the case and that it didn't work the one time he tried to hand playcalling off in 2015.

Yeah Sark is definitely calling plays. Does the OC have any other responsibilities though in practice or gameplanning that Sark will be handing off? 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Doesn't Lupoi want playcalling duties? Or did he get a reality check?

Hopefully he gets a reality check and sees what Sark is cooking down here and wants to join. 
Giles is coo but he’s been ahhhhhh...We still didn’t get as much pressure as we should even with the four man front. 

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Hopefully he gets a reality check and sees what Sark is cooking down here and wants to join. 
Giles is coo but he’s been ahhhhhh...We still didn’t get as much pressure as we should even with the four man front. 

I don't know that the lack of performance from the DL is Giles' fault. He's an above average coach/developer. IMO the problem is the weight that Coburn, Sweat and Collins are carrying. They're all 15-20 lbs too heavy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

That's hearsay, maybe it's true, maybe it's from the same source who promised we were getting Wiggins, which maybe we will maybe we won't, but for now we haven't

I never said the guy didn't care about his kids, so we're playing the game of telephone on this thread as it speeds by. I said he left to go to Bama in the middle of a divorce with a bunch of kids being left behind. Call it what you want, but that came with the same info about the stripper girlfriend and the monkey, which have both been verified. 

Same person that told me all that told me that Wiggins was "gone" and I assumed to Texas, along with Flood. Not looking like Wiggins is coming here at least, but the rest has been right. My friends at Bama, one of them is an official figure for the program on their AD website. Maybe they were assuming Wiggins when it was Banks in terms of the rumor mill in their offices. You got me.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The Austin Hyatt on Town Lake is arguably where fajitas jumped into gringo cuisine in the late ‘70s- early ‘80s. Every politician/lobbyist took the Hyatt version back home.

No.  That would be the original Ninfa’s on Navigation that popularized tacos al carbon before the Hyatt.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I never said the guy didn't care about his kids, so we're playing the game of telephone on this thread as it speeds by. I said he left to go to Bama in the middle of a divorce with a bunch of kids being left behind. Call it what you want, but that came with the same info about the stripper girlfriend and the monkey, which have both been verified. 

Same person that told me all that told me that Wiggins was "gone" and I assumed to Texas, along with Flood. Not looking like Wiggins is coming here at least, but the rest has been right. My friends at Bama, one of them is an official figure for the program on their AD website. Maybe they were assuming Wiggins when it was Banks in terms of the rumor mill in their offices. You got me.

Or Wiggins has been offered an OC slot at one of these MAC/CUSA/SunBelt schools and trying to decide if he will take it or not

29 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I am slightly more bullish on Joseph than some. Brian Kelly has a great eye for defensive coaches and he seemed to do a good job there. He doesn't seem like a plus recruiter, but if he is a plus developer I will take it after watching our defensive backs over the last decade. I have a weird feeling that Gideon is going to be a really good recruiter. I don't really have any basis for that, just call it a hunch. 

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Wasn't there a report about Vance Bedford coming on as an analyst? I know he sucked as DC but he's got a pretty elite background with DBs. That could help at corner

tenor.gif

Would not hate that, but dont we have some former NFL guys hanging in Austin that could do that instead?

55 minutes ago, Teryor said:

FCB

Reveal hidden contents

SARKISIAN FINALIZING HIS TEXAS STAFF

We held off The Insider from moving Thursday morning, because Wednesday night I’d heard some rumblings that Jeff Banks was about to pull the trigger on what we know now is a three-year, $3.15 million deal to become Texas’ special teams coordinator and tight ends coach.

I'm glad we held off, because we've heard some interesting information on Sarkisian's leading defensive coordinator candidate. More on that in a second.

Since the hiring of Steve Sarkisian was announced back on Jan. 2, we’d heard Banks would be Sarkisian's top choice as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator. As we’ve reported, Banks had been telling folks in and around Alabama that he’s happy where is - but that was really to keep the peace through Alabama’s national championship game against Ohio State.

On Wednesday night, Banks broke the news to Nick Saban that he would be joining Sarkisian at Texas and explained to Saban that it was because Banks has young children living in College Station and wants to be closer to them.

Saban understood but isn’t at all happy, considering Banks is a top-end special teams coordinator and an elite recruiter who has strong connections in Texas and helped land former Texas quarterback commit Jalen Milroe and inside linebacker Kendrick Blackshire of Duncanville, among others.

Little-known fact regarding Banks: Tom Herman tried to hire Banks off Alabama’s staff last year, when Herman ended up hiring Jay Boulware. Banks didn’t feel strongly enough about Herman’s job status at Texas to leave a good situation at Alabama, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

We’ll recap Sarkisian’s staff and where things stand in a moment. But let’s address the defensive coordinator position for a second.

A source told me on Tuesday they were hearing Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding was headed to Texas. Considering Golding had coached with Bo Davis at UTSA in 2017, that made a lot of sense since we were the first to report Davis heading to Texas as a D-line coach back on Jan. 7.

Chris Ash (Photo: Ricardo B. Brazziell, USA TODAY Sports)
But I was also hearing Sarkisian had yet to speak to Chris Ash, who is popular with UT administrators, and that Golding has a $1.8 million buyout at Alabama. And, of course, Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, is already pissed off that Sarkisian is taking Banks and offensive line coach Kyle Flood from Bama’s staff (not to mention former Bama analyst A.J. Milwee).

If you’re going to raid the staff of the man who helped you get the Texas job, you might have to wait and see if Saban has a person in mind to replace Golding and if Saban can make sure he can get said replacement.

I heard Thursday the key to Golding being named the defensive coordinator at Texas would be Saban’s ability to hire Dan Lanning away from Georgia to replace Golding as Alabama's defensive coordinator.

If that happens, watch for Will Muschamp to join his good friend Kirby Smart as defensive coordinator at Georgia - Muschamp’s alma mater and also where Muschamp's oldest son, Jackson, is a walk-on football player.

Something to watch: I’m hearing Ash, who has $800,000 still guaranteed to him from Texas for 2021, is a candidate to join Urban Meyer’s staff in Jacksonville.

Last week in The Insider, we reported Sarkisian had a short list of candidates for defensive coordinator. That list included former Atlanta Falcons head coach and former Seattle Seahawks' defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Cincinnati defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman and Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett.

Quinn has been hired by the Dallas Cowboys and has offered the Cowboys' defensive line coaching position to Tosh Lupoi, a source told Horns247. More on Lupoi in a second.

Freeman was hired by Brian Kelly at Notre Dame, and Arnett, who is also a defensive coordinator candidate at Oregon, apparently didn't overwhelm LSU in an interview this week.

But Arnett - and even Lupoi - could still be defensive coordinator candidates for Sarkisian if things somehow fall apart with Golding (and Ash decides to join Meyer's staff in Jacksonville).

(Photo: © Taylor Estes, 247Sports)
So there are still some moving pieces before things become totally clear on the defensive coordinator front. But that picture could become very clear - very quickly.

As far as who Sarkisian would hire to coach outside linebackers/defensive ends, Oscar Giles was expected to get an interview from Sarkisian. Giles worked with Bo Davis at Texas under Mack Brown, when Davis coached the defensive tackles and Giles coached defensive ends.

We’ve reported Lupoi, who has expertise in coaching outside linebackers/defensive ends and worked under Sarkisian at Washington (before Lupoi joined Alabama’s staff and then moved on to the NFL), would want a co-defensive coordinator title.

I’m told for that to happen, something would have to break down with the candidates ahead of Lupoi for defensive coordinator.

Lupoi and Golding worked together at Alabama in 2018, when Lupoi called the defense and Golding was his co-coordinator (before Saban encouraged Lupoi to find another job, so Saban could promote Golding, which led Lupoi to the NFL).

Lupoi spent the 2019 season as the D-line coach of the Cleveland Browns and the 2020 season as the D-line coach of the Atlanta Falcons under Quinn.

We’ve also heard Lupoi could be a candidate for the Oregon defensive coordinator job (and Lupoi’s wife is from the Pacific Northwest and apparently would love to get back there if possible).

So, there are still a couple question marks on Sarkisian’s staff that will be answered soon.

With Banks being hired as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator, we’re hearing Blake Gideon will likely coach the safeties while providing a strong assist to Banks coaching special teams.

(Photo: Matt Cashore, 247Sports)
Terry Joseph, who has coached defensive backs at Louisiana Tech (2007-09), Tennessee (2010-11), Nebraska (2012-13), Texas A&M (2014-16) and North Carolina (2017) and coached safeties at Notre Dame (2018-20), is expected to coach the cornerbacks.

Both Banks and Joseph have served as recruiting coordinators at previous stops and both have strong connections in Texas. According to 247Sports, Banks is ranked among the top five recruiters in college football for 2021.

Our man Mike Roach has been killing it with his analysis of all Sark’s assistants as recruiters. And I think it’s fair to say, Sarkisian understands the importance of recruiting on his new staff in Austin.

Here’s where things stand with Sarkisian’s staff as best we can tell at the moment:

Offensive coordinator/offensive line coach - Kyle Flood

Tight ends coach/Special teams coordinator - Jeff Banks

Quarterbacks coach - AJ Milwee

Running backs coach - Stan Drayton

Receivers coach - Andre Coleman

Defensive coordinator/linebackers coach - Pete Golding (leading candidate at this moment, per our sources)

Defensive line coach - Bo Davis

Outside linebackers - Tosh Lupoi/Oscar Giles/Other

Safeties coach - Blake Gideon

Cornerbacks coach - Terry Joseph

Stay tuned.

A friend of mine is very close with Lanning. I reached out to see if he had heard anything from Lanning about Bama contacting him. He said he hasn’t talked to him in a few days so he didn’t really have anything on Bama. But he did say that Texas reached out at some point throughout the process but never offered. He said the offer was expected to be north of $2 million if it was made. I have no idea if this provides any value to this board but that’ll be $9.95 😁

Sidenote: If you haven’t heard Lanning’s story on how he got into coaching college ball you should look him up, it’s pretty incredible. He started out as a high school position coach and is now a DC being floated around by FCB as a Saban target. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1