Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like whatever is going to happen with DC and the other remaining open role, it's going to happen before Monday, doesn't it? I figure you want to hit the fucking ground running with your entire crew pretty quick. They've got 3 candidates left if Ash is gone, and he was hard to take seriously anyway, and we know Arnett and Golding have been met with, so that just leaves the "mystery guy".

I think they definitely want the full staff of positional coaches as well as S&C in place prior to students/players returning the 19th. I believe there will be an announcement today on defensive coordinator and the official introductions Monday. That is a total guess.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Charlie is indeed apart of that Jaguars staff then Higdon is likely correct.

Can you imagine Charlie Strong trying to dissect and gameplan agianst NFL defenses?

"You just look and see that Bill Belichick over there, and it's just about the way he gets those little receivers the ball and they're so fast."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

Slightly off topic question. How do these coaches taking other positions (Ash, Yurcich) affect the staff buyouts? If they take the job, are we still on the hook for it or since they left, they are voluntarily releasing the claim to that money? 

It depends if we fired them or if they were hired elsewhere first and agreed to pay their buyout.

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Slightly off topic question. How do these coaches taking other positions (Ash, Yurcich) affect the staff buyouts? If they take the job, are we still on the hook for it or since they left, they are voluntarily releasing the claim to that money? 

If they voluntarily leave, there is usually no obligation to pay a buyout.  In fact, depending on the contract language, the next school may owe Texas a buyout.  In the case of firings, there are usually mitigation clauses (i.e., dollar-for-dollar or percentage offsets based on amounts earned in the next year), but it all depends on the specific wording of the contract.

Edited by Katfid54
Clearer responses

3 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It will be contract specific.

25 minutes ago, The Beast said:

One of the things I really like about Sark is ability to talk to the media. Well spoken and gets to the point. Notice you never saw Herman do this. He was just a beating to watch on his press conferences alone. 

This is such a great point and cannot be discounted.  As a leader, you have to be an effective communicator. Sure there some highly successful coaches that are not the best at it, but for the most part, a huge component of Leadership is tone and non-verbal communication.  He is articulate, but not condescending and has a salesman's personality w/o coming across corny (like the row-the boat guy).  Mack was good at it but tended to the coach speak side too often.  This will translate to HS coaches, recruits, parents, handlers, donors etc.. big improvement.  Strong was a terrible communicator and Herman was not much better at striking a balance when he spoke to the media or on a National stage.   

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Giving myself ear-bleed as I listen to that god-awful yakk podcast. 

Per Anwar - Arnett showed up to the LSU interview wearing his Miss St. gear and went in demanding total control over his staff.  Sounds like from the moment he got off the plane that interview was fucked.  Didn't say anything about the Oregon interview.  Also said that there is zero talk from Miss St. side about Texas.

Conversely - they said a bunch of SEC schools are talking Golding to Texas, but no one at Alabama has heard that (though they did acknowledge that Banks was 'out of nowhere' from the Alabama side.

did he really say this?  Anwar is into fan fiction in a big way I guess.  give me a fucking break that a guy would do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My earliest recollection of having fajitas was at NIOSA in the late 70s. 

I wasn’t old enough to remember in the late 70’s, but my impression is that it wasn’t some new fangled dish.  I do remember always hearing the same thing anytime someone bought or cooked then about how the meat used to be fuck-all cheap and now it’a not.  

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I won't complain about modeling ourselves on the best program of the last decade, but the personnel department was probably a true strength of the Herman regime. The inefficiencies in recruiting usually came from the guys signing off on the offers and making the sales pitch rather than the people finding the prospects.

I fully expected Chang to go. He did a really good job while he was here but Carrington was the only obvious holdover that we needed to keep due to his interaction with prospects and recruiting ability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Deej said:

R.I.P. Tom Poston.

Tom_Poston.jpg

I saw Tom Poston and Suzanne Pleshette* (then husband & wife) shopping at the Costco near Marina del Reeeeyyyyyyyy in about 2001 or 2002.

They were just pushing a cart around, doing their bulk buying like any old (310) couple would do.

He would approve of the Sark hire.

*I know, pics. Well, this is what she looked like long before I saw her.

440px-Suzanne_Pleshette_-_1969.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Double digit negs for this? Y’all are getting soft.

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Why would anyone neg that, much less 14 people? 

I negged it because it was fucking horrific to look at and should have been spoilered. It's not a shark-like picture. He looks like one of those got-damn golems! Nightmare fuel.  The only thing worse would have been if that thing ate the snek at the end of the puppy video.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Both coordinators getting jobs definitely helps the financial burden. Now, if someone would give FuckFace a head coaching job that would be even better. That offset is the one that would have the biggest impact. 

Unfortunately there's only one CFB HC job open and Herman's not a finalist for it (Marshall). There aren't any big-time CFB OC jobs open, either. Best case is that Tennessee opens up and they hire Herman or some NFL team hires him.

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

I negged it because it was fucking horrific to look at and should have been spoilered. It's not a shark-like picture. He looks like one of those got-damn golems! Nightmare fuel.  The only thing worse would have been if that thing ate the snek at the end of the puppy video.

^^soft

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Unfortunately there's only one CFB HC job open and Herman's not a finalist for it (Marshall). There aren't any big-time CFB OC jobs open, either. Best case is that Tennessee opens up and they hire Herman or some NFL team hires him.

Jacksonville probably in need of some offensive coaches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I bet he gets something next year as HC at a mid tier P5 program.  The salary would probably be about 2/3 of what he was making here, but would still save us 6 or 7 large.

19 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

We'll see exactly how the Ash situation went down, but if the employer isn't buying out the contract, there's no buyout.

Generally (but not always), there's mitigation if the employee then decides to take another job.  Dollar-to-dollar is common.

For example, Rutgers was paying Ash $2.4M.  Texas hired him for $800k.  Rutgers only owed him $1.6M to keep his total salary at $2.4M.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

did he really say this?  Anwar is into fan fiction in a big way I guess.  give me a fucking break that a guy would do that.

No idea, it's possible.  Some people get arrogant and take the "hey you want me" approach to a job interview.

I have legitimately set in on an interview group where the 1st thing one candidate said was "Hey just so you know, the chick who would be my secretary if I take this position...isn't attractive enough..ya'll will have to do something about that if I come here."

And I don't work in some big business law firm or marketing firm or something like that. Schmuck was interviewing for a government job.

• Haha 2

It smells like it is going to be Golding. With all the defensive staff hires that have been already you'd think they would have been either after communication with his DC or based upon knowledge of said DC's scheme, strengths, weaknesses.....A couple of years with Golding..........

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Seems like whatever is going to happen with DC and the other remaining open role, it's going to happen before Monday, doesn't it? I figure you want to hit the fucking ground running with your entire crew pretty quick. They've got 3 candidates left if Ash is gone, and he was hard to take seriously anyway, and we know Arnett and Golding have been met with, so that just leaves the "mystery guy".

I'll be disappointed if Ash doesn't lick our collective butthole on the way out of town. 

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I bet he gets something next year as HC at a mid tier P5 program.  The salary would probably be about 2/3 of what he was making here, but would still save us 6 or 7 large.

I can remember when '6 or 7 large' meant thousands. Times, they are a'changin'. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Not just me. A lot of people like him as a HC.

Hell, Vrabel hasn't done a bad job as HC there. AFC Championship game already... his one season as DC in Houston was complete ass.

Vrabel outcoached Bill Belichick and John Harbaugh on the way to the AFC Championship game last year, and had his team competitive against a clearly superior KC squad.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think there are going to be more college jobs open by the time the NFL has filled every vacancy. That being said, no college program with a good head coach is going to want to replace with Herman. Our best hope is a domino effect that opens up a mid tier program that would look to hire him. It’s wishful thinking admittedly.