Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

i love this hire. i will wait to see how it all turns out but im a bit puzzled by the hiring of joseph and gideon. im not sure they make the most sense or are the best hires for this DC. davis is perfect here. if joseph coaches safeties and gideon focuses on ST and def as a whole and we can bring in a stud at CB coach, then perhaps it works. but would be if Coach K had his choice he would not have hired Gideon and instead, would have an experienced LB coach. but again, Sark has impressed me so far so I will wait to see the final results before I start melting down.

20 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Sounds like PK fire advocated for promoting Jimmy Lake to co-DC so I don't think he's pissed about that. I'm not even sure this guy wants to be a head coach. He might just like the idea of coaching at Texas and doubling his salary.

As opposed to PK thunder advocating?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

The Washington guy, Bob Gregory, seems to be very heavy on the on the field (teaching/scheming) aspect of LB coaching, although his recruiting ability is unclear to me. If Sark/Kwiak want him, then I won't bitch about it

I think we've got a pretty good recruiting staff with a rainmaker in banks (and sark for that matter), plus recruiters in drayton, joseph, davis, flood, and a probable plus recruiter in gideon.  Really only coleman and kwiak are considered average recruiters.  and to be honest, having a weaponized Texas that wins will likely make anyone look good.  I can't really complain with any of Sark's moves so far and Coach K has imo a better chance at success then everyone's favorite, Coach Boom, who while elite, hasn't coached significantly at the coordinator level in a decade and hasn't really faced the diversity of defense that Coach K has. The success against a variety of offenses, including complete mastery of leach's teams, is impressive.  In addition, Coach K seems like a guy that might be happy being a Bud Foster type, getting paid a great deal to coordinate great defenses and not looking to jump at the first opportunity. 

I'm good with Gregory or whoever else he needs to implement his defense.  I'm not going to say no to an elite recruiting assistant but I think making sure the defense is well taught is the most important aspect of this next hire.  We'll be able to get the talent.  The pickup of Thornton seems almost tailor made for this defense.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Washington guy, Bob Gregory, seems to be very heavy on the on the field (teaching/scheming) aspect of LB coaching, although his recruiting ability is unclear to me. If Sark/Kwiak want him, then I won't bitch about it

Just building on this thinking - if the Kwiatkowski hire is legit, I'm going to be lazy about worrying about recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Hell, it might even be hard for sarvanaash to get too worked up for at least a season. If we have an excellent staff for development on the defensive end, putting what TCU and Baylor have done with state of Texas defensive talent on steroids would be something to behold.

I'm not saying "fuck it, don't worry about the big time talents, let the staff develop the hidden gems" or anything. Hell, I love following recruiting too much to see that. That considered, what TCU and Baylor have managed to do for over a decade with talent here is enviable on the defensive side. Getting 4 and 5 star talent plus guys that fit the staff's profile for growth and development, that's exciting. 

Stuff I read last night on Pac 12 and UW boards looked "meh" on Gregory, but now I'm reading other posters today saying that he's in demand and was being recruited to return to Boise, so at least he's not uniformly panned up that way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Update: The CTJ/Eltife jet touched down in Sandpoint yesterday at 12:15 p.m. PST.

This jet originating in Seattle landed in Sandpoint at 12:09 p.m. PST yesterday (and is the only fight from Seattle to Sandpoint for at least the last two weeks - as long as FlightAware records go back):

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N248SE

👀

That is....significant

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

Holy shit, they’re melting down big time. 

This one made me laugh 

If you think you're on a sinking ship, you get off. And when the first ship that comes along is a luxury liner that promises silken robes and 72 virgins, you don't say nah because years ago the captain was a fuck up but all the top maritime publications say he's figured things out and is the hottest cruise ship captain in all the seven seas.

Worst case scenario is they improve dramatically entirely because of Kwat in the first year, Sark burns out within three years, Kwat is held harmless and will definitely be retained by the incoming head coach if he doesn't decide to step up to one of the top 10 prestige jobs in his chosen profession. Meanwhile, he is paid handsomely and heralded as a genius in a football crazy state. Thinking about it, hard to even imagine a better situation to jump to. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just building on this thinking - if the Kwiatkowski hire is legit, I'm going to be lazy about worrying about recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Hell, it might even be hard for sarvanaash to get too worked up for at least a season. If we have an excellent staff for development on the defensive end, putting what TCU and Baylor have done with state of Texas defensive talent on steroids would be something to behold.

I'm not saying "fuck it, don't worry about the big time talents, let the staff develop the hidden gems" or anything. Hell, I love following recruiting too much to see that. That considered, what TCU and Baylor have managed to do for over a decade with talent here is enviable on the defensive side. Getting 4 and 5 star talent plus guys that fit the staff's profile for growth and development, that's exciting. 

Stuff I read last night on Pac 12 and UW boards looked "meh" on Gregory, but now I'm reading other posters today saying that he's in demand and was being recruited to return to Boise, so at least he's not uniformly panned up that way.

Gregory also has significant experience as a DC, so he may be more involved in game planning than we know. If PK wants him, then I’m good with him though he wouldn’t be as fun as some other options. I agree on the recruiting front. I think all of Davis, Gideon, and Joseph are above average recruiters and we have Banks and guys like Carrington to help plug any gaps from PK and/or Gregory. I also wonder if a properly managed Drayton might start to pick it up in recruiting. He was a much more active recruiter under Meyer and we all know Herman was absolute shit at man again his coaching staff. I’m hopeful Sark can get more out of him in recruiting. 

Bottom line, If these guys coach up the defense like they did at UW, then the talent will come. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Assuming the Kwiat hire happens..

Sark, Kwiat, and west coast LB coach TBD should give us three west coast guys, plus our presumed best recruiter in Banks played out there and recruited the west coast for A&M. I think Sark and Kwiat should get Texas the red carpet treatment at most west coast schools. 

Joseph and Davis have strong Louisiana ties, and LSU appears to be trending down, at least in the short term until they fire Orgeron and replace him with Napier

I think Sark wants the state Texas to be the core area for recruiting, but the west coast and Louisiana should offer solid secondary core recruiting areas to help fill in holes more than adequately, and I think this staff will chase national 5*s as well 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sark, Kwiat, and west coast LB coach TBD should give us three west coast guys, plus our presumed best recruiter in Banks played out there and recruited the west coast for A&M. I think Sark and Kwiat should get Texas the red carpet treatment at most west coast schools. 

Joseph and Davis have strong Louisiana ties, and LSU appears to be trending down, at least in the short term until they fire Orgeron and replace him with Napier

I think Sark wants the state Texas to be the core area for recruiting, but the west coast and Louisiana should offer solid secondary core recruiting areas to help fill in holes more than adequately, and I think this staff will chase national 5*s as well 

We especially need to be hammering California and Arizona while USC and UCLA are being coached by dumb and dumber. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

We should also dominate the state of Idaho 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This one made me laugh 

If you think you're on a sinking ship, you get off. And when the first ship that comes along is a luxury liner that promises silken robes and 72 virgins, you don't say nah because years ago the captain was a fuck up but all the top maritime publications say he's figured things out and is the hottest cruise ship captain in all the seven seas.

Worst case scenario is they improve dramatically entirely because of Kwat in the first year, Sark burns out within three years, Kwat is held harmless and will definitely be retained by the incoming head coach if he doesn't decide to step up to one of the top 10 prestige jobs in his chosen profession. Meanwhile, he is paid handsomely and heralded as a genius in a football crazy state. Thinking about it, hard to even imagine a better situation to jump to. 

For darkmode -

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

No idea if this Mad Son guy is at all credible, but he’s claiming we are interested in Gregory. The more I think about it, a DC who wants to bring his guy at ILB makes the most sense with our current coaching staff composition. 

9B9BE601-0778-458F-92A6-DE84C6A24538.jpeg

Wonder if he'd get promoted to DC at Washington? 

PK would be a strong hire. Better than Arnett, Lanning, or Golding. Easily. He’s been up there in the NW so long I never really thought of him as likely to leave.

If this comes to pass I can fuck around and find out what the kool aid tastes like.

I assume the defensive staff is then: Gideon at safety, Joseph at CB/pass game coordinator. Maybe it’s just asst. DB and DB coach. PK at DC/OLB, PK’s guy at ILB, and Davis at DL.

Milwee, Drayton, Coleman, Banks, Flood on offense. There’s your ten assistants.

Not Surly’s all star wet dream but definitely an effort made to go out and find guys with successful track records as opposed to just hiring connections.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Gregory also has significant experience as a DC, so he may be more involved in game planning than we know. If PK wants him, then I’m good with him though he wouldn’t be as fun as some other options. I agree on the recruiting front. I think all of Davis, Gideon, and Joseph are above average recruiters and we have Banks and guys like Carrington to help plug any gaps from PK and/or Gregory. I also wonder if a properly managed Drayton might start to pick it up in recruiting. He was a much more active recruiter under Meyer and we all know Herman was absolute shit at man again his coaching staff. I’m hopeful Sark can get more out of him in recruiting. 

Bottom line, If these guys coach up the defense like they did at UW, then the talent will come. 

Honestly, we wouldn't be able to complain about Drayton at all if he landed Cain, and that was all Herman's fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 3

We especially need to be hammering California and Arizona while USC and UCLA are being coached by dumb and dumber. 

This. I think that’s part of the strategic vision. Secure Texas, even if Bama, Ohio State, and Clemson are still gonna get some guys in the modern landscape, particularly in the short term. Let the SEC programs battle each other in their region. West coast football is historically down but there’s a lot of talent out there. Take advantage of that to supplement the fact that Texas isn’t locking down the state the way Mack did any time soon.

44 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

We call them Poles.

pole-dancing-shoes.gif

(Dangit, should have kept scrolling. @NoctambulantBrobdingnagian beat me to the lame joke.)

I laughed and would give you a rep but I already gave my single-daily-available rep to the guy who beat me to my joke.

That's what happens when Surly goes multi-page in a matter of minutes.  

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Yes, for those that avoided the UOB thread, this is the same jet CTJ confirmed met with Urban in both Los Angeles (twice) and Fort Collins (once) between October and early December.

Pete Kwiatkowski also coached and played in Idaho at Boise State. It’s just under an hour-long flight between Seattle and Sandpoint, ID, so a logical meeting point. And beginning to doubt my sleuthing skills as I can’t find much info on Pete’s hometown, but Bonner County real property records show there are two properties in Sandpoint owned by a 70-something year old Stan Kwiatkowski. 

now THIS is some quality research

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Wonder if he'd get promoted to DC at Washington? 

Certainly Possible. I’m just not sure how tightly  he’s connected to PK. If he wants to stay with him, we could offer a comparable salary to UW if they made him DC and slap a run game coordinator or co-DC title on him. 

7 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Honestly, we wouldn't be able to complain about Drayton at all if he landed Cain, and that was all Herman's fuck up.

I disagree. RB coach needs to be one of your best recruiters and should be recruiting other positions since he usually only has one spot at his position per year. I don’t think Drayton’s ever been mentioned with a recruit who doesn’t play RB since he got here, and he didn’t recruit RoJo or Derrian Brown. so he’s been responsible for landing 3 guys in the last 4 classes. That’s pathetic for a RB coach. 

Even if he’d landed Cain, he’s still not pulling his weight in recruiting. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I disagree. RB coach needs to be one of your best recruiters and should be recruiting other positions since he usually only has one spot at his position per year. I don’t think Drayton’s ever been mentioned with a recruit who doesn’t play RB since he got here, and he didn’t recruit RoJo or Derrian Brown. so he’s been responsible for landing 3 guys in the last 4 classes. That’s pathetic for a RB coach. 

Even if he’d landed Cain, he’s still not pulling his weight in recruiting. 

Drayton recruiting in case folks weren't aware:

• 2021: Primary on J Brooks
  • 2020: Primary on Dixon and Hullaby, secondary on Bijan
  • 2019: Primary on Derrian Brown
  • 2018: Primary on Keaontay Ingram

Drayton absolutely has his haters (the best known of whom is @golfclap) but he isn't recruiting like most RB coaches. Normally I would be ok with the turnover but honestly don't want to give Bijan even a 1% reason to even considering transferring?

that said, if he goes with Urban i wouldn't be heartbroken.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I see a bunch of abbreviations, acronyms, weird MS paint drawings - what the hell is going on? Did we hire someone? Do I book my hotel & flights for the CFB Playoff next year or what? 

we maybe did.

or maybe we didn't.

no one knows

...and yes

16 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I see a bunch of abbreviations, acronyms, weird MS paint drawings - what the hell is going on? Did we hire someone? Do I book my hotel & flights for the CFB Playoff next year or what? 

Go ahead and book those flights for the next 15-20 years, my dude.

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

Drayton recruiting in case folks weren't aware:

• 2021: Primary on J Brooks
  • 2020: Primary on Dixon and Hullaby, secondary on Bijan
  • 2019: Primary on Derrian Brown
  • 2018: Primary on Keaontay Ingram

Drayton absolutely has his haters (the best known of whom is @golfclap) but he isn't recruiting like most RB coaches. Normally I would be ok with the turnover but honestly don't want to give Bijan even a 1% reason to even considering transferring?

that said, if he goes with Urban i wouldn't be heartbroken.

He was absolutely not the main recruiter on Brown. That was Washington using his GA contacts while recruiting Kenyatta Watson. I also have no idea where they’d whetting him as the primary on Hillary. Not sure I’ve ever heard that before. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Smart of the pilot to enter Texas airspace at Dalhart. The more Panhandle you fly over, the better Austin looks. 

No offense, Nicole. 

Yeah because nothing makes the monotony of track housing and copy cat developments shine like flying over the wide open spaces of the Great Plains.

• Hook 'Em 1