Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Can we call him "Coach Kow"?

j/k though I would be stoked if that gets picked up.

I read that Kwiatkowski has never really had any head coarching aspirations, which bodes well for longevity here if he works out well, which I'm sure he will.

Not sure about NFL though.

Edited by ATXbronco
bides = bodes
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

My only concern with this Kwat guy is his success as a DC will have to be pointed out to recruits and their families.

There will be plenty of time to point it out with all the time saved not having to apologize to the recruits and their families for Herman. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

Coach K runs a 2-4-5, not 4-2-5. Two hybrid OLBs, two ILBs. The reason ILB/OLB difference matters is that his scheme requires the OLBs to handle various responsibilities (similar to how Ossai did in his Jack role - actually there is a Jack in K's system too), while ILBs are also expected to manage a myriad of responsibilities including sealing the edge/snuffing runs in scenarios where the OLB's are covering the flats (on top of traditional responsibilities). Basically you need your linebackers to be pretty coached up.

This video @LTtxfan posted details it pretty well:

This guy doesnt understand modern defensive coverages. in the first example at the 7-8 minute mark, he swears they are playing Cover 3. They are not. Defenses divide the field down the middle and  play different coverages on each side of the field. In the first example, they are playing a cover 4 to the wide side of the field. The corner has deep 1/3s, the Safety has middle 1/3s, the rover has curl to flat, and the mike has hook to curl. on the boundary side, they are in what TCU calls Bronco which is essentially man for the BS and CB. if the TE releases, the BS has him man. If he does not, he has curl to flat and is supposed to find work and depth. The Will has hook to curl or if the back releases weakside, he has the back man. it is great to see Coach K employing this sort of complex coverage and doing so in a very disciplined manner. no one has their eyes in the backfield unless they are supposed to. instead, they are going through their reads as each receiver declares their route. i am excited.

i am also curious if Coach K alters his scheme to fit the personnel at Texas. specifically the DL. his 2-4-5 uses the 2 DL as gap control to keep the OL off the LBs. he employs this scheme because he largely has not had anyone like we have Texas. he has had space eaters but not big athletic DL capable of creating havoc on their own. I would not be surprised to see him adapt to a more attacking style with Collins, Coburn, Broughton, and Sweat in the mix.

• Hook 'Em 1

From Nahlin:

Spoiler

Sark on a Zoom right now:

Mentioned Kwiatkowski by name. Said he’s excited to have him because he’s a pain in the ass to play against.

Sark raving about him as a developer and recruiter (I’m guessing he means evaluator).

He also mentioned Gideon as DB coach and Joseph at CB.

Looks like we’re headed for a LB search based off this. It needs to be someone who can recruit

My guy who knows Kwiat: “For his system? Yes, he can coach linebackers.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wlur7uylyh28nar6yc

So we now have a DC and are down to looking at ILB coaches or what?

I have been conditioned through both the Urban Meyer and this thread to constantly be scouring the interwebs for hints and clues and now I feel an emptiness inside.

2x2jm9.jpg

I am fucking stoked and amazed at the quality of staff Sark has put together, but what are we supposed to do now? How can we shitpost if we dont have an ongoing reason to be actively roving the message boards, twitter feeds, and the like?

Alas, I am at a loss and must find peace...

Applewhite vs Simms thread is that way —->

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

How does Sandpoint compare to Pote Awtha?

It is the same. They both are near water and have good fishing. Both have oil but they are at gas stations in Sandpoint vs. on the beach in PA. PA has better barbecue crabs especially if you are willing to travel to Sabine Pass. Sandpoint smells like trees while PA smells like sulfur/refineries.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

All they have to mention is how many guys he puts in the NFL compared to our prior regimes.
True, but nsd2 is quickly arriving...and some of these recruits have been sold on a DC for months if not years. We're playing from behind except for those players who were already looking for an excuse to commit to Texas.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

From Nahlin:

Hide contents

Sark on a Zoom right now:

Mentioned Kwiatkowski by name. Said he’s excited to have him because he’s a pain in the ass to play against.

Sark raving about him as a developer and recruiter (I’m guessing he means evaluator).

He also mentioned Gideon as DB coach and Joseph at CB.

Looks like we’re headed for a LB search based off this. It needs to be someone who can recruit

My guy who knows Kwiat: “For his system? Yes, he can coach linebackers.”

Could we still C0-DC Lupoi?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Wait, so a new Texas head football coach can in fact put together a great initial staff? That's actually possible? Sark already has a leg up on the two before him. 

Only one leg? Bitch, please. Sark’s got two legs and huge swinging dick up on those scrubs. 

4 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

EJ Holland

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Why do we need 2 LB coaches when we are only gonna have 2 of them on the field most of the time?  

Coach K- DC/LB

Bo Davis-DL

Retain Giles at his current salary to help with the DL  as an analyst or whatever the fuck he would like to be called

Joseph-Safeties

Raymond-CB/AHC

Gideon-ST/asst. DB coach

I sweatergawd. Y’all have to stop it with all this formation nonsense. He uses 2 hand I the dirt DL and 2 edge rushing OLBs. He’ll sometimes shift to 3 down lineman when he plays dime, so he goes 3-2-6. One coach is in charge of the interior lineman (Davis), PK coaches the edge rushers, and another coach is in charge of the 2 ILBs, with 2 coaches for the secondary. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that I’m seriously entertaining the idea of Gideon coaching something other than dbs and special teams, but do we really know which positions he can coach effectively?  With his dad being a hs head coach and his supposed knowledge of the game maybe he already has the ability to coach several position groups. 

It’s not impossible, but I don’t think it would be a good idea right away, since Gideon has never coached LBs and this is a new scheme for him to learn how to coach. 
Gideon may be able to shift to LBs in a year or two if we need him to once  he knows the scheme inside and out. 

4 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Semi-Official:

Fuck you, Feldman. TFB first reported the move. 

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Any idea how this fits with the current personnel? Is Collins suited to be one of the two down-linemen or would you want both guys to be huge space eater types (Coburn & Sweat)? Or will he play outside LB in this scheme? Sealing the edge/playing the run certainly wouldn't be an issue for him from there but he may struggle to rush the passer from that spot and you obviously wouldn't want to give him coverage responsibilities. 

Collins runs 300+ so he can easily be a down lineman. The real question is what we do with 2 OLBs. We don’t really have the roster for it right now. He might be better off gonna with 3 down and a Jack LB, so Collins can play SDE. I think our bets defense will have all 3 of Collins, Sweat, and Coburn on the field. 

I’m not sure if PK has ever changed his formation like that to fit personnel, but I’ll look into it. 

3 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Worked with a guy who played at UW.  He actually played in Major’s last game in the Holiday Bowl.  I asked him about Coach K. Here is his response:

“Yeah I mean obviously we aren’t happy. The guy is an absolute pro and a stud and our d was number one in the pac for the last 5 years. With that said.... sometimes it felt like we couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down or stop the run to a frustrating degree.  Y'all will like him in the Big 12.”

PK’s a great DC, but he’s not perfect and I think think is a fair criticism. He sometimes struggles with power run teams, like Stanford and Oregon lately. 

3 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

As long as the pressure isn't coming from 20 yards deep and the person dropping into coverage on their slot WR isn't our best pass rusher.

I realize this is a joke and we all have PTSD from Orlando, but less down lineman and more LBs helps stop the spread and makes it harder for QBs to read pre-snap. If it’s not being run by a potato it can provide a lot of advantages while still being fundamentally sound. 

Kwiatkowski is not a potato. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ousux said:
18 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:
All they have to mention is how many guys he puts in the NFL compared to our prior regimes.

True, but nsd2 is quickly arriving...and some of these recruits have been sold on a DC for months if not years. We're playing from behind except for those players who were already looking for an excuse to commit to Texas.

Eh.  Anything we get in '21 is gravy.  The '22 class is going to rock.

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I probably agree. He should be hungrier and more focused than Muschamp. I don't doubt Boom is still a great DC but he's coming off of some flameouts and hasn't been a DC under someone else in awhile. 

yep and shit-ton pile of  money in the bank.  He has cleaned up post-Texas, between big money jobs at UF and SC, and two buy-outs mixed in.  We would have been getting a shell shocked, money bags with a lot of pieces tro pick up.  Glad we got a somewhat up and comer who very well could find himself back in NW as a HC someday if he leads us to the promise land.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Only one leg? Bitch, please. Sark’s got tow legs and huge swinging dick up on those scrubs. 

tenor.gif

I sweatergawd. Y’all have to stop it with all this formation nonsense. He uses 2 hand I the dirt DL and 2 edge rushing OLBs. He’ll sometimes shift to 3 down lineman when he plays dime, so he goes 3-2-6. One coach is in charge of the interior lineman (Davis), PK coaches the edge rushers, and another coach is in charge of the 2 ILBs, with 2 coaches for the secondary. 

It’s not impossible, but I don’t think it would be a good idea right away, since Gideon has never coached LBs and this is a new scheme for him to learn how to coach. 
Gideon may be able to shift to LBs in a year or two if we need him to once  he knows the scheme inside and out. 

Fuck you, Feldman. TFB first reported the move. 

Collins runs 300+ so he can easily be a down lineman. The real question is what we do with 2 OLBs. We don’t really have the roster for it right now. He might be better off gonna with 3 down and a Jack LB, so Collins can play SDE. I think our bets defense will have all 3 of Collins, Sweat, and Coburn on the field. 

I’m not sure if PK has ever changed his formation like that to fit personnel, but I’ll look into it. 

PK’s a great DC, but he’s not perfect and I think think is a fair criticism. He sometimes struggles with power run teams, like Stanford and Oregon lately. 

I realize this is a joke and we all have PTSD from Orlando, but less down lineman and more LBs helps stop the spread and makes it harder for QBs to read pre-snap. If it’s not being run by a potato it can provide a lot of advantages while still being fundamentally sound. 

Kwiatkowski is not a potato. 

Burt you're getting pretty close to Rimbo levels of multi quoting

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yep

Man talk about random.  I'm up there a couple times a year.  Got family in SP, moved from Southern CA years ago.

They have property on the Clark Fork just inside MT border.  We have a fish trip every year.  Ive probably played the course you are referring to.

I know this is random, but my cousin has spoken about a guy up there from TX that he knows well.  We may know some of the same people. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'll admit I don't know anything about this guy but sounds like a great hire as long as it was really him and not Lake running the show.

Wonder if Sark is regretting the early Gideon/Joseph hires at all now. Not bashing Gideon at all but if he kept Hutzler instead of Gideon, he could go get an actual CB coach. Secondary easily seems like the biggest staff question mark right now (of course everything else has been A+).

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Out of curiosity, dug into this jet as well that’s on its way from Austin to Seattle. Tail number is N46HA and it’s registered owner is SIM Air LLC, an entity owned by Ron Snyder (the “SIM” stands for “Snyder Investment Management.” Ron is a Boulder grad and Colorado-based entrepreneur who was previously the CEO of Crocs.

Just noting for those interested and since it makes it unlikely this is the plane bringing Pete K. to the forty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, ousux said:
35 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Transition classes

Charlie #17 with 8 4* recruits (88.09 avg grade)

Herman #25 with 7 4* recruits (87.58 avg grade)

Sark #17 with one 5* and 8 4* stars (88.81 avg grade)

The recruiting he did with this coaching staff more than makes up for this transition class and even like that we are still ahead of the last two classes.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Burt you're getting pretty close to Rimbo levels of multi quoting

And that’s fair. This has been a perfect storm of having the day off and the euphoria of having an actual, legitimately good coaching staff for the first time in ages. I wasn’t real happy about the Sark hire at first, but the staff he’s put together has made me a believer. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Ian Boyd) Quick thoughts on Pete Kwiatkowski

"Quick thoughts" from 'ol Ian, huh?

Reminds me of an old joke.

"How the heck can you be 4 HOURS LATE???"

"Well, I ran into Alex Haley in the lobby, and asked him how his family was."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Transition classes

Charlie #17 with 8 4* recruits (88.09 avg grade)

Herman #25 with 7 4* recruits (87.58 avg grade)

Sark #17 with one 5* and 8 4* stars (88.81 avg grade)

The recruiting he did with this coaching staff more than makes up for this transition class and even like that we are still ahead of the last two classes.

He's not done yet either