Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

22 minutes ago, B00M said:

Sure, but it's not like it was an SEC SEC SEC roster that got to play a P12 schedule. 

What are his ranks adjusted for strength of opposing offenses? Paging @Huckleberry

I posted his DFEI and SP plus numbers last night. He’s been top 25-30 in like 8 of the last ten years with 3 or 4 years being in the top 10. 

8 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I love the handwringing regarding Gideon.  The guy can't coach CB's because he wasn't one?  It's ludicrous.  He's been widely lampooned as a "corch on the field" by this group.  The biggest positive that has been widely ascribed to him is getting everyone lined up on the defense correctly, but he can't coach CB's?  I have to laugh because I think @Steel Shank just won again?

He also can’t coach CBs because Sark said he’s the safeties coach and Joseph will coach CBs, but you should DM Sark this post. Maybe he’ll change his mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

If he wants to stay on as an analyst, I got no problem with that.... If it’s for any other capacity, sleepy got to go...

Giles is already under contract for next season -- might as well be an analyst and get a little more quality time from him at pool parties...  

D93-Vo-YWW4-AE1-TRD.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I posted his DFEI and SP plus numbers last night. He’s been top 25-30 in like 8 of the last ten years with 3 or 4 years being in the top 10. 

He also can’t coach CBs because Sark said he’s the safeties coach and Joseph will coach CBs, but you should DM Sark this post. Maybe he’ll change his mind. 

I guess I dropped the ball with my post!

26 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I love the handwringing regarding Gideon.  The guy can't coach CB's because he wasn't one?  It's ludicrous.  He's been widely lampooned as a "corch on the field" by this group.  The biggest positive that has been widely ascribed to him is getting everyone lined up on the defense correctly, but he can't coach CB's?  I have to laugh because I think @Steel Shank just won again?

All the "Coach ________ can't coach ____________ because he's a LB/DL/DB/OL coach is dumb.

Coaches change position groups all the time, even if they don't usually do it at the P5 level. Coaches even move from defense to offense and vice versa. Lots of coaches coach groups they never played. This isn't like a trombone player not knowing how to play the oboe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

SIAP but saw that a couple 9.95ers followed Johnny Nansen recently

PAC-12 Recruiter of the Year in 2017, for what that's worth. He's bounced around at several positions so he's probably mostly in demand for his recruiting chops.

edit: he was also apparently in charge of special teams at Washington under Sark, and did a bad job of it.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

All the "Coach ________ can't coach ____________ because he's a LB/DL/DB/OL coach is dumb.

Coaches change position groups all the time, even if they don't usually do it at the P5 level. Coaches even move from defense to offense and vice versa. Lots of coaches coach groups they never played. This isn't like a trombone player not knowing how to play the oboe. 

This is true, but I don't think Texas is the place for a coach to be learning on the fly.  They can switch their coaching assignment at a lower level and prove themselves at that  position coach before coming to Texas. 

Not saying Gideon won't be good, but we shouldn't be the ones to find out. 

2 hours ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

So I guess I missed it but who are the coaches on the offensive side of the ball?

Greg Davis is back!

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m really encouraged by the way Sark has meticulously assembled his staff. Most new head coaches just bring their buddies along for the ride and don’t put much thought into it, but Sark is making each of these hires like his job depends on it. As he should. 

I'm really curious how it compares to how he assembled his staffs at UW and USC.  Was he as methodical?  Or did, perhaps, someone whisper in his ear about how dumb it would be to hire all his friends?

2 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Does this mean we can finally name the Defense???  Been a question on UT boards sense 1998 at least....

No.  And, before anybody asks, NO CAPES!

31 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

Perhaps a pic of Polish beauty is in order.

d0c7b96294e54823590a76a6de1368f4.jpg

200.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Greg Davis is back!

I'm really curious how it compares to how he assembled his staffs at UW and USC.  Was he as methodical?  Or did, perhaps, someone whisper in his ear about how dumb it would be to hire all his friends?

No.  And, before anybody asks, NO CAPES!

200.gif

I couldn't bring myself to ask about capes.....that was a bridge too far.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wasn't on the message boards in the 90s. What did people think of Mack Brown's initial staff hires at the time?

I was on the boards and I don't really remember. Message boards were relatively new at the time and there weren't nearly as many of them. And there weren't $9.95 boards like there are now. We had a lot less in-depth info on position coaches than we do now. I thought Mack himself was a good hire, he was my choice from the start, and I was deeply opposed to Gary Barnett and Tyrone Willingham.

I do remember skepticism about Greg Davis because his resume didn't reflect much success, but we were excited for change after the up and down Mackovic years, particularly post-UCLA Rout 66.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wasn't on the message boards in the 90s. What did people think of Mack Brown's initial staff hires at the time?

you mean after we were pissed and stunned? All I know is that he only brought Mad Dog and Davis from UNC and that one thing he looked for was guys who had some head coaching experience.  As I recall it wasn't folks from what would be considered G5.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Especially if the trombone player is a little rusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As a reminder, his 1998 staff:

OC - Greg Davis
OL - Tim Nunez
RB - Bruce Chambers
TE - Tim Brewster
WR - Daryl Drake
DC - Carl Reese
DE - Hardy McCrary
DB - Everett Withers
ST - Mike Tolleson
SC - Madden

Staff was the same in 1999, if I recall correctly; Oscar Giles and Tom Herman were added as GA.

Edited by boilerhorn