Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm really curious how it compares to how he assembled his staffs at UW and USC.  Was he as methodical?  Or did, perhaps, someone whisper in his ear about how dumb it would be to hire all his friends?

I was wondering the same thing, here is his initial staff at USC: 

image.thumb.png.439870c4d5dd8b3eaa71705b3cb9a2e4.png

Looks like he brought a good deal of his Washington coaches over, including the entire defensive staff except for Chris Wilson from Georgia. Interestingly several of the offensive guys are holdovers from Kiffin's coaching staff. 

Suffice it to say, he's had a different approach so far with us. That and the fact that he mentioned not making the same mistake of giving up play calling duties sure makes it seem like he has taken some good lessons from his first go round as a HC.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

SIAP but saw that a couple 9.95ers followed Johnny Nansen recently

Some Texas fans actually want Nansen. I'd be surprised if the Texas AD is dumb enough to let that guy around Sark again.

I am guessing the Hardcore Husky guys are insinuating that Nansen was Sarks party buddy...

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wasn't on the message boards in the 90s. What did people think of Mack Brown's initial staff hires at the time?

You have to recall when Mack got hired there was limited boards around.  I started on Billybobs Texas Page and moved on to hornfans about sometime that year after Mack was hired.

I remember most of the response was people were happy to get competent coaching on both sides of the ball for once.  Lots of "excitement" over Reese at DC..... People may have been excited about Nunez coaching the oline I can't remember.

I know there was some idiot Tarheel fan named watchfuleyes that showed up and started spouting off about how Mack would stab us in the back and how crooked he was....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I was wondering the same thing, here is his initial staff at USC: 

image.thumb.png.439870c4d5dd8b3eaa71705b3cb9a2e4.png

Looks like he brought a good deal of his Washington coaches over, including the entire defensive staff except for Chris Wilson from Georgia. Interestingly several of the offensive guys are holdovers from Kiffin's coaching staff. 

Suffice it to say, he's had a different approach so far with us. That and the fact that he mentioned not making the same mistake of giving up play calling duties sure makes it seem like he has taken some good lessons from his first go round as a HC.

That staff does not suck at all

3 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

As a reminder, his 1998 staff:

OC - Greg Davis
OL - Tim Nunez
RB - Bruce Chambers
TE - Tim Brewster
WR - Daryl Drake
DC - Carl Reese
DE - Hardy McCrary
DB - Everett Withers
ST - Mike Tolleson

Staff was the same in 1999, if I recall correctly; Oscar Giles and Tom Herman were added as GA.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I remember excitement over Reese because LSU’s defense was good. 

yep Reese was the big get 20 years as a DC before coming to Texas.  Chambers was from Carter HS.   I think Tolleson was a big get for DL.  He lasted until 2010

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Especially if the trombone player is a little rusty.

Big problem here is that a lot of the parrots didn't play football at all, and a dude who was third chair Meat Whistle doesn't really get it. The vast majority of football coaches really aren't that bright. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I was on the boards and I don't really remember. Message boards were relatively new at the time and there weren't nearly as many of them. And there weren't $9.95 boards like there are now. We had a lot less in-depth info on position coaches than we do now. I thought Mack himself was a good hire, he was my choice from the start, and I was deeply opposed to Gary Barnett and Tyrone Willingham.

I do remember skepticism about Greg Davis because his resume didn't reflect much success, but we were excited for change after the up and down Mackovic years, particularly post-UCLA Rout 66.

I was walking on campus and picked up a copy of the daily Texan with the 3 coaching finalists on it. I saw Mack and thought "Man that would be amazing but I doubt he would come here." When he was hired I was super pumped. This is the first time I have had similar peter tingles about a hire since then. I hope it means we get a long tenured and successful run by Sark, his staff certainly suggests that. 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep Reese was the big get 20 years as a DC before coming to Texas. 

And he was fresh off LSU's 1997 win over Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators. LSU held the Gators to 21 points after giving up 56 points to them the year before. That was unthinkable to me at the time.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wasn't on the message boards in the 90s. What did people think of Mack Brown's initial staff hires at the time?

@closetojumping was feverishly cursing the name of every single employee in the athletic department, which he copied with pen and paper from the directory sitting in Belmont, because we didn't hire Gary Barnett over Mack. He'd periodically stop to go take a smoke break and listen to @SydneyCarton praise how boss the ingenious hire of Greg Davis as OC, while he tried to act casual with his back foot leaned against his used sparkly purple Acura as girls walked by.  Meanwhile @HenryJames was busy downing Miller High Lifes and praising Taco Bell as the pinnacle of Mexican food, just like Bruce Chambers was the best high school coach in the state of Texas and his hiring would pay dividends for decades to come.

Edited by Burt Macklin
Dammit Huck you beat me to it.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The biggest dustup was a shouting match between @HenryJamesand @closetojumpingabout whether it would be Madden or Davis who would be more responsible for the inevitable championship success. Happened at a happy hour. Obviously ctj was on Davis's side. 

Almost came to blows but fortunately HJ was able to outrun ctj.

Impossible. I have it on good authority that CTJ would beat everyone but Michael Huff in an on campus foot race. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I too was skeptical of the Sark hire, primarily given his performance at UW and USC, but this hiring process has been very impressive. The Coach K, Flood, Banks and Bo Davis hires are all homeruns on paper. Drayton had to be retained because of Bijan, and he obviously has a great resume even if his recruiting has been suspect. The Gideon/Joseph combo is an odd fit, and certainly Raymond (if he truly was attainable) would have been the preferred pairing. But we'll see.  Not gruntled by Coleman.  

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

The club is the Idaho Club. I'm not a huge golfer but since we aren't there all the time, I thought it would be smart to be in a gated community. Plus, houses in golf communities seem to maintain their value. There is an ex-OL coach who spent some time on this board evaluating 2021 Texas targets who lives in Coeur d’Alene.

Yes I’m familiar with it. If I remember correctly, I played it 20-25 years ago, it was a muni then and there weren’t any homes. The “ club house” was a small structure. My uncle worked as the starter before things blew up and Nicklaus got involved. I think I have that right. 

hoping to be able to make a trip there this may-June. When I bring the family , we try and stay at Seasons, on the Lake, right in town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The biggest dustup was a shouting match between @HenryJamesand @closetojumpingabout whether it would be Madden or Davis who would be more responsible for the inevitable championship success. Happened at a happy hour. Obviously ctj was on Davis's side. 

Almost came to blows but fortunately HJ was able to outrun ctj.

I wonder how many near fist fights I got into while at college when I would point out that Madden more closely resembled Cartman as “Beefcake” than a strong, fit person. It felt like I was taking crazy pills when I would see this fat, tub of lard chant “Big Dawgs in da House who who” around the players while his man tits jiggled I was a sophomore in college and didn’t know shit about fuck when it came to football but it was still that obvious to me.  Reese was the Muschamp of his day so everyone was pumped about that hire. And he did miracles in the first three years. That 1997 Texas defense could not stop some area high schools from scoring. And I’m talking about the JV teams. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

For some reason there are 247 posters dying for Giles to be retained. That place is fuckin weird.

They are without a doubt the worst posters on any 995er site bar none (not that I have experience on that star crunch slit Ketchs website). There is some dude on that website named Tyrone Swoopes who is the most insufferable human being I have ever seen and I am on that website maybe 15 minutes a week

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bigbend1812 said:

I just remember the excitement about Mack.  Back then it was, what are assistant coaches? 

IIRC there was a lot made of the fact that Mack’s staff had something like (sure this number is wrong) 105 years of head coaching experience....

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

They are without a doubt the worst posters on any 995er site bar none (not that I have experience on that star crunch slit Ketchs website). There is some dude on that website named Tyrone Swoopes who is the most insufferable human being I have ever seen and I am on that website maybe 15 minutes a week

If we are talking about purely football posting and not the Cloak Room, echeese is by far the most insufferable poster I have ever seen on a Texas board. Please tell me this person is not worse? 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And he was fresh off LSU's 1997 win over Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators. LSU held the Gators to 21 points after giving up 56 points to them the year before. That was unthinkable to me at the time.

That’s the only game I’ve ever attended in BR (fuck you Covid) and it was epic. Really hope we make that one up, but doesn’t seem likely anytime soon given our upcoming OOC schedule...

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, he is off today and tomorrow, and we will already know by Thursday. 

CHIEF

Dude I’m building a house an hour from Bandon. Had no idea how badass   it was. Gonna have to get my game back the the Lost Creek CC to Dry Creek saloon says.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

If we are talking about purely football posting and not the Cloak Room, echeese is by far the most insufferable poster I have ever seen on a Texas board. Please tell me this person is not worse? 

I have not and will not ever click on the cloak room so I cant compare but he is awful, basically take your drunkest most politically ignorant uncle, give him a ten red bulls and a bag of colombian bam bam and inject straight burnt orange heroin into his veins....truly awful

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That staff does not suck at all

Yeah, it was a pretty damn good staff at the time and most of those guys have been on an upward career trajectory since. Just pointing out that his process looks to be different this time around. 

Either way, I think you can look at that list as a pretty positive indicator of Sark's ability to identify coaching talent and maybe ease some of the handwringing over the hires that the board is less enthused with (Coleman, Joseph, Gideon).

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Some years ago echeese apparently googled the various types of logical fallacies.  And he would use them to label posts he was arguing against.  Never correctly or in proper context.  He is a certified idiot but lacks any self-awareness.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Yep, he was the flavor of the week after years of mediocrity.  JMO at the time  And now.

19 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Dude I’m building a house an hour from Bandon. Had no idea how badass   it was. Gonna have to get my game back the the Lost Creek CC to Dry Creek saloon says.  

Luke is the kid's name. Both parents are Texas grads and his sister is a sophomore at UT. He bleeds burnt orange but Texas Southern was his only D1 offer. Deadly short game. If he is within 120 yards of the pin, he is two strokes out. If you go to Bandon, look him up.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Ugh, yeah, that dude sucked. That dipshit would argue with you even if you were agreeing with him. I hadn't thought about him since my comped OB account expired 12 years ago or whatever. 

32 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

IIRC there was a lot made of the fact that Mack’s staff had something like (sure this number is wrong) 105 years of head coaching experience....

I think he was fudging whatever number he came up with by using Asst HC and High School Head Coach when counting years of experience.  was harder to check the bullshit with no googles back then.