Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's what one would think based on Wikipedia and 247 research, but Washington boards seem to think he was a shit coach on the field as well. I guess we'll see if Kwiak brings him over, or if he gets promoted. If he's stuck as their LB coach, then maybe we have our answer 

I would disagree.  He was a solid/good DC at Cal and has had a pretty solid career at Boise and Washington.  If you havent figured it out, UW fans have a vocal population of delusional posters whose grip on reality is pretty tenuous.  Every school has this but UW's are at the forefront so make a lot of noise.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Based on what? It so surly to ignore all prior input and suggest a guy that is now ours will be different once he is ours. I love the hire but lets hope the last position is filled in with a good recruiter that can do the leg work.

Suchomel

--- I was able to catch up with a Washington source this evening about new Texas d-coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. To say the reviews were strong would be an understatement. Some have asked about Kwiatkowski's ability as a recruiter and I was told he's better than most realize. He takes a more no-nonsense approach and isn't the pushy type of recruiter, but is very good at building relationships, gaining trust and showing players how his schemes can benefit them.

"Part of his whole thing, at Boise and at Washington, he's always been at kind of the smaller school. He's big on relationships, getting in early on guys and developing relationships," the source said. "That’s how he’s been able to land the guys he has. He's not necessarily a big energy guy but he'll call them once a week, build the relationship. That's not to say he's a low-energy guy, he's just not a salesman the way some guys are. He’ll still go for top guys. He's not just going for diamonds in the rough. He’ll go for top guys like Sav'ell (Smalls). He was still able to be right up there with top guys at a school like Washington, where it was harder than it will be at Texas. He'll be better at Texas."

Also, he's apparently recruited the state before.

"One of his main areas going back to Boise State was recruiting the state of Texas. So he's definitely fairly acquainted with the state of Texas in terms of recruiting. He's already been down there many times."”

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Suchomel

--- I was able to catch up with a Washington source this evening about new Texas d-coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. To say the reviews were strong would be an understatement. Some have asked about Kwiatkowski's ability as a recruiter and I was told he's better than most realize. He takes a more no-nonsense approach and isn't the pushy type of recruiter, but is very good at building relationships, gaining trust and showing players how his schemes can benefit them.

"Part of his whole thing, at Boise and at Washington, he's always been at kind of the smaller school. He's big on relationships, getting in early on guys and developing relationships," the source said. "That’s how he’s been able to land the guys he has. He's not necessarily a big energy guy but he'll call them once a week, build the relationship. That's not to say he's a low-energy guy, he's just not a salesman the way some guys are. He’ll still go for top guys. He's not just going for diamonds in the rough. He’ll go for top guys like Sav'ell (Smalls). He was still able to be right up there with top guys at a school like Washington, where it was harder than it will be at Texas. He'll be better at Texas."

"One of his main areas going back to Boise State was recruiting the state of Texas. So he's definitely fairly acquainted with the state of Texas in terms of recruiting. He's already been down there many times."”

You're killing me.

But seriously folks, I hope the Kool Aid I'm drinking on Coach K won't kill me. I see a brighter future for our program. We are due.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You're killing me.
But seriously folks, I hope the Kool Aid I'm drinking on Coach K won't kill me. I see a brighter future for our program. We are due.
I might have taken a wee sip reading this, but not guzzling that shit like I did early on with Chuckie and Tommy boy.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is the list of remaining names that have been floated for the last remaining position. If any names are missing just let me know!

image.png.f2e3c905311f4f50b1ff2402c9945444.png

Here are offensive hires:

image.png.63ebdfe16d39bd35ed18c061d28da992.png

Pretty positive it will be Nansen from UCLA...Polynesian ties and what not

Texas Talk- Pete Kwiatkowski: a home run defensive coordinator hire?

Jesus Christ that was awful. Who is that guy and do people actually watch that shit? The guy was literally driving around while recording that drivel. He hadn’t even come close to getting to the point by the 90 second mark. Just terrible.
  • Hook 'Em 1

FCB on the last coaching spot

Spoiler

— Pete Kwiatkowski let everyone know his deal to become defensive coordinator at Texas was done when he changed his Twitter profile (@CoachK_FBCoach) to announce his new title with a background of DKR Tuesday night.

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian is down to one last, on-field coaching position (on defense) to round out his staff.

With Kwiatkowski's expertise being on the defensive line, and Bo Davis already on board as a D-line coach for Texas, it will be interesting to see if Sarkisian would bring in Washington linebackers coach Bob Gregory, a former defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator, to coach linebackers.

Like Kwiatkowski, Gregory, who played linebacker at Washington State, is a Pacific Northwest lifer. Kwiatkowski and Gregory have worked together since 2010 and are very close. Gregory, who should get consideration from Washington coach Jimmy Lake to succeed Kwiatkowski as the Huskies' defensive coordinator, is one of the most respected linebackers coaches in college football.

Gregory served as a defensive coordinator twice under Dan Hawkins (at Willamette from 1992-97 and at Boise State in 2001) and served as defensive coordinator under Jeff Tedford at Cal (2002-09) before joining Chris Petersen's staff as linebackers coach at Boise State in 2010.

Gregory served as interim head coach at Boise State for the Hawaii Bowl in 2013 when Petersen agreed to take the Washington head-coaching job and then joined Petersen's staff at Washington as linebackers coach.

If Gregory were to join Sarkisian's staff, think of the special teams expertise that would be coaching at Texas, considering tight ends coach Jeff Banks, Blake Gideon and Gregory have ALL served very successfully as special teams coordinators.

— Texas players are going through their first workouts this week as part of winter conditioning under new strength coach Torre Becton.

COMMENTS
 According to a couple sources, players were somewhat surprised by the upbeat, enthusiastic tone coming from Becton during the workouts.

"The first workout was fun," one source said. "We're certainly not used to that. Maybe this is a first impression thing. We'll see."

Wow can't believe the LB coach he worked with would be under consideration, great job Chip!

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm very excited about this staff overall, but keeping Coleman still bugs me. I guess I'm just gonna have to trust Sark's evaluation on this one since he spoke so highly of him, but has he done anything at all on the development or recruiting side to inspire confidence? Seems like a lazy hire. 

4 minutes ago, Teryor said:

FCB on the last coaching spot

Hide contents

— Pete Kwiatkowski let everyone know his deal to become defensive coordinator at Texas was done when he changed his Twitter profile (@CoachK_FBCoach) to announce his new title with a background of DKR Tuesday night.

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian is down to one last, on-field coaching position (on defense) to round out his staff.

With Kwiatkowski's expertise being on the defensive line, and Bo Davis already on board as a D-line coach for Texas, it will be interesting to see if Sarkisian would bring in Washington linebackers coach Bob Gregory, a former defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator, to coach linebackers.

Like Kwiatkowski, Gregory, who played linebacker at Washington State, is a Pacific Northwest lifer. Kwiatkowski and Gregory have worked together since 2010 and are very close. Gregory, who should get consideration from Washington coach Jimmy Lake to succeed Kwiatkowski as the Huskies' defensive coordinator, is one of the most respected linebackers coaches in college football.

Gregory served as a defensive coordinator twice under Dan Hawkins (at Willamette from 1992-97 and at Boise State in 2001) and served as defensive coordinator under Jeff Tedford at Cal (2002-09) before joining Chris Petersen's staff as linebackers coach at Boise State in 2010.

Gregory served as interim head coach at Boise State for the Hawaii Bowl in 2013 when Petersen agreed to take the Washington head-coaching job and then joined Petersen's staff at Washington as linebackers coach.

If Gregory were to join Sarkisian's staff, think of the special teams expertise that would be coaching at Texas, considering tight ends coach Jeff Banks, Blake Gideon and Gregory have ALL served very successfully as special teams coordinators.

— Texas players are going through their first workouts this week as part of winter conditioning under new strength coach Torre Becton.

COMMENTS
 According to a couple sources, players were somewhat surprised by the upbeat, enthusiastic tone coming from Becton during the workouts.

"The first workout was fun," one source said. "We're certainly not used to that. Maybe this is a first impression thing. We'll see."

^^^ If Yancy was even half-decent at his job, I'm not sure feedback would have sounded like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I'm very excited about this staff overall, but keeping Coleman still bugs me. I guess I'm just gonna have to trust Sark's evaluation on this one since he spoke so highly of him, but has he done anything at all on the development or recruiting side to inspire confidence? Seems like a lazy hire. 

He was good at his job at K-State but massively disappointed here. I guess the hope is that Herman really was meddling a lot in his work.

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

^^^ If Yancy was even half-decent at his job, I'm not sure feedback would have sounded like this.

Some strength coaches make the drill sergeant vibe work. They just need to get results or the team will revolt.

10 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was good at his job at K-State but massively disappointed here. I guess the hope is that Herman really was meddling a lot in his work.

Sark may have wanted to give Coleman another shot because he sees something in him. If he doesn't cut it, isn't his deal expiring after the '21 season anyways?  

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Coleman was impressive enough at Youngstown St that Bill Snyder decided to hire him as WR coach at Kansas St.  Then he was impressive enough at that role that Snyder kept him for 5 seasons and then promoted him to Offensive Coordinator.  Then after Bill retired Coleman came to Texas as an analyst and was impressive enough that Herman promoted him to the WR coach.  Then Herman is fired and a new HC is brought in.  That Head Coach is given a blank check for assistant coaches and he decides to keep Coleman as the WR coach.  I mean, he must be doing something right to earn the trust of those three different coaches.

The WRs last year raved about how much better Coleman was than Mehringer.  No reason to nitpick.  Nothing negative has ever been said about Coleman that wasn't also attributed to Tom Herman.  I'll trust Sark on this one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, bejezuz said:

The WRs last year raved about how much better Coleman was than Mehringer.  No reason to nitpick.  Nothing negative has ever been said about Coleman that wasn't also attributed to Tom Herman.  I'll trust Sark on this one.  

Being better than Mehringer is a pretty low bar

15 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Yeah, I can only assume it had something to do with Whittington’s tweet and Sark taking the temp of the WR room. Because it certainly wasn’t based on his coaching this season. 

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Some strength coaches make the drill sergeant vibe work. They just need to get results or the team will revolt.

Part of me wishes we had gotten Cochran. I always thought he was a Saban lifer, but Smart decided to throw a Special Teams coordinator title at him and he bounced for Georgia with a paycut down to $550k. 

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

Part of me wishes we had gotten Cochran. I always thought he was a Saban lifer, but Smart decided to throw a Special Teams coordinator title at him and he bounced for Georgia with a paycut down to $550k. 

Bama online folks and 247 people were saying Nick was pushing him out, wanted to go a different route when it came to S&C

22 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Lazy hire to me would be bringing in one of his buddies.  Lazy would be just firing Coleman because it’s convenient.   Sark seems to have been pretty thorough here

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's a plus recruiter and has connections in California. Only Satya could hype a coach and the moment he might be an option at Texas he all of sudden sucks. 

"USC's LB coach John Nansen  is supposedly a beast on the recruiting trail. He was PAC-12 Recruiter of the Year last cycle."

Well yeah, notice how none of the criticisms I leveled at him were recruiting-related? He's a strong recruiter, no one's disputing that. In terms of coaching, we can do better.

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Bama online folks and 247 people were saying Nick was pushing him out, wanted to go a different route when it came to S&C

they were lying through their fucking teeth about it then.

he may have wanted to go a different way but as much as Saban and anyone who was in the program praised him there is a negative chance they were working to push him out.

3 minutes ago, OB3 said:

He did... believe that was one of his options. The others being Oregon and us (and maybe some other NFL jobs that have not been talked about). I’m not sure if he could make his way onto the staff though. He’s coached OLBs/DEs most of his career. Perhaps Coach K could do ILBs instead?

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Suchomel

touché

To be fair to Coleman, I think I’ve seen someone here suggesting that Herman meddled a lot with WRs since he played WR in college and was a former WR Coach. It’s hard to get a true gauge on Coleman’s coaching ability here from when Herman was meddling with the offense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’m just waiting for someone to suggest bringing Lupoi on as an analyst 

Maybe, we don't need to hire him on to coach. His official title could be Senior Bagman or maybe to make it less obvious, we could call him Goodwill Ambassador.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Octavian said:

He did... believe that was one of his options. The others being Oregon and us (and maybe some other NFL jobs that have not been talked about). I’m not sure if he could make his way onto the staff though. He’s coached OLBs/DEs most of his career. Perhaps Coach K could do ILBs instead?

I'd imagine he's at least prodding Washington about their DC job, he has history there

Just now, Teryor said:

I'd imagine he's at least prodding Washington about their DC job, he has history there

He also got busted at UW for giving recruits cash in a coffee cup (while working for Sark)... I dont think UW is an option for Tosh

Heard a radio interview from one of the TFB guys yesterday, he said the word was that Kwiatkowski can coach anywhere on the front 7.  Take that for what you will

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Why do we think they have any insight as to his effectiveness as a coach/teacher? I include myself when I say that message board posters usually don’t know shit about that, as they lack visibility to the input processes and only see the outputs.

We love to make assumptions due to the principal of Garbage In Garbage Out it is just more fun that way.

5 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

To be fair to Coleman, I think I’ve seen someone here suggesting that Herman meddled a lot with WRs since he played WR in college and was a former WR Coach. It’s hard to get a true gauge on Coleman’s coaching ability here from when Herman was meddling with the offense.

I'm far from qualified but I felt wide receiver was a position that looked terrible last year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Jesus Christ that was awful. Who is that guy and do people actually watch that shit? The guy was literally driving around while recording that drivel. He hadn’t even come close to getting to the point by the 90 second mark. Just terrible.

And to top it all off, the cocksucker can't even turn his phone horizontal! Fucking amateur shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bringing this defensive staff together as a unit will be an important task for "PK".   Pretty sure that Gideon and Joseph's personalities are the hard-working and get-along types so easier to coach.  PK will have to earn Bo's respect and vice versa...

Hope SARK allows PK a lot of input on the final defensive assistant hire...

Is it wrong to fantasize that they hire a crap DC at LSU and Raymond gives Sark and call and he says he finally wants the job. Sark thinks well I already have Gideon but what I will do is hire an analyst to teach Gideon how to be an ILB coach. Effectively micromanaging Gideon's growth and reaping the benefits of getting Raymond. Just an out of left field thought on how to keep the Raymond dream alive.

6 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I'm far from qualified but I felt wide receiver was a position that looked terrible last year.  

Using our WRs on routes where they are moving while they catch the ball will drastically improve YAC for the 2021 TEXAS WRs unit. 

SARK's offense is much more WR friendly than "dumbass mensa's" offense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

yeah what an idiot

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Is it wrong to fantasize that they hire a crap DC at LSU and Raymond gives Sark and call and he says he finally wants the job. Sark thinks well I already have Gideon but what I will do is hire an analyst to teach Gideon how to be an ILB coach. Effectively micromanaging Gideon's growth and reaping the benefits of getting Raymond. Just an out of left field thought on how to keep the Raymond dream alive.

and also helga lovekaty will give you a hand job

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2