Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IDK why so many of the Texas fans sucked his cock. Oh wow, he made Mitchell not dog shit, good job. 

Probably because Overshown improved dramatically and LB recruiting actually wasn't horrendous for the first time in forever.  

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

3) Regarding Coleman, I confirmed that Herman was all up in the WR corps' shit this year. Coleman wasn't in charge of his personnel selections and wouldn't have had Kai Money near the field. It wasn't Coleman directing Yancy McKnight to put 15 extra pounds on Jake Smith for this season. Herman basically decided that he'd rather just handle the WR spot via micromanagement than outsource it to someone outside of his network that he didn't trust, which he decided after interviewing a few guys that we'd have been happy to have. Herman didn't like having to defend the premise that he wasn't on the hot seat going into 2020 and would write guys off who pressed on the issue.

I don't know what's worse, Herman's trust issues or the fact that he's a WR and WR coach by trade and still couldn't figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

For fear of stating the obvious, even without our collective PTSD from Charlie’s and Tom’s initial staffs, every surly poster save trolls and and the Pope of Pessimism would have been happy with this slate of assistant hires if presented at the onset of the search as a hypothetical.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

A statement this hilariously wrong getting so much rep is classic Surly. Mac Jones tore ND's secondary apart and had 182 yards in just the 1st half. Alabama's first three drives ended with scoring passes of 26 yards, 12 yards, and 24 yards. Bama's only punt that half came after DeVonta Smith was tackled behind the LOS on that trick play and it ended the drive.

Gormlessly staring at the final score doesn't tell you anything; the reason Bama only scored 31 is because ND strung together longer drives on offense than Bama usually allows and didn't go three-and-out so the offense had fewer possessions. If any secondary did the best against Bama, it was maybe Arky (their offense compensated for it with four turnovers) or Kentucky (who doesn't have a front 7 like NDs and got ran over by the Bama rushing attack)

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Unless you've got a brainwashed cult like TexAgs, every fanbase is going to be like this.

And even the most pessimistic posters here like the staff as a whole, but have some nits to pick.

Agreed, and it's odd I'm being painted as a pessimistic posted by some responses (not you) since I thought my post was incredibly optimistic. I fucking love the new staff for the most part 

3 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Sark making all the right moves so far. Impressing donors, getting buy-in from the players, and hiring a kick-ass staff. The future seems brighter than it's been in a while!

Sorry, is that too optimistic for Surly?

Not at all. Despite being a little worried by the hire at first the dude has done nothing but impress me since.

2 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

For fear of stating the obvious, even without our collective PTSD from Charlie’s and Tom’s initial staffs, every surly poster save trolls and and the Pope of Pessimism would have been happy with this slate of assistant hires if presented at the onset of the search as a hypothetical.

It’s not perfect and there are a few that deserve scrutiny, and I don’t mind the scrutiny because that kind of discussion is kind of the life blood of CFB message boards. But I, like many others, have renewed optimism for success of the program given who has been assembled and Sark’s calculated actions only a couple weeks out of the gate - and that’s after being down on the hire when it first happened.

Absent an abysmal hire with the last defensive hire, this is easily a Top 10 staff in college football and has the potential to be even higher. We beat UGA and had stretches of success and what at the time appeared to be positive trajectory with a JV coaching staff led by a psychiatrist’s dream heading the charge.

If you trust Sark’s coaching and program-leading abilities, there is every reason to believe we have the pieces to move from mirage to actual sustained success and, if we do that, you’re looking at a Bama-lite situation (at least early on) where any “B-range” staffers will be much more easily upgraded. You need a new HC regime jump out the gate on a path to sustained success and stability to be in a position to do that, and we avoided a three-peat nightmare scenario where initial hires delivered the silent kill shot before a single game was played and a year or two later you’re taking late-night trips to Tulsa to beg a G5 coordinator to accept your money whip. Be happy and optimistic my friends, you surly fucks. 

Agreed by and large. Despite complaining about Terry and Milwee (will admit I was unaware about the promotion to 10 on-field staff by Alabama when they had a COVID vacancy as that does change my opinion significantly (no the Arkansas State thing doesn't, because I already knew that and didn't care) so thank you to whomever posted that tidbit). Putting the hypothetical of whether I would have liked it if mentioned as a potential slate months ago aside since I don't think it is necessary, I have to say I love most of the staff right now.

Hell I fucking gave like 4 of them A+ grades which should show how fucking hyped I am about them. I really want to clarify this because some think I'm overly pessimistic. I'm not. I'm  nitpicking 2 hires that I don't absolutely love but think are probably fine and could be good but that I'm far less certain about than many of the other elite guys we've got on our staff (I have warmed on Milwee after learning some new information about him provided here). 

Because of my optimism I  actually do agree that we have a top 10 assistant  coach staff in the country. I mean if you have an elite offensive head coach who will be calling plays, an elite OL coach, and an elite DC you're in a good place and I'd say we have those three. Couple those three with everyone else and you have a staff to be proud of.

Quite possibly the best staff we've had here in a decade and a half. Definitely the best on paper in a decade 

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know what's worse, Herman's trust issues or the fact that he's a WR and WR coach by trade and still couldn't figure it out.

Herman needs to eat a case of humble pie and spend at least 2-3yrs at "Camp Saban for Rehabilitation" to have any chance to ever be a decent coach again...

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Sorry that I don’t believe you. 
These DB’s aren’t fielding punts. If the receiver is running absolutely straight go maybe. Usually DB has follow by looking at receiver. Now he has usually about less than a second to turn his head, find ball and adjust to where ball is going. All of that while at full speed. As was said those guys  are born and not coached up. 

You aren't wrong.  Neither is @Vertigo.

Play the man, then the ball.  If you don't have the man, turning for the ball gets you killed. 

If you have the man already, it's better to turn for the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Assuming this isn't Joseph but just throwing this out there since it is possible

Per the release from the NCAA, a former unnamed Fighting Irish assistant had impermissible contact with an unnamed prospect at high school in the Seattle, Washington area when the assistant "met privately with the prospect at his high school before July 1 after the completion of his junior year of high school.

Doesn't specify year the violation happened

TFB notes

Spoiler

Couple quick team notes… 

*** Sounds like they have cleared the nickel room.

*** They have broken the DBs into safeties and corners and Adimora and Cook are both with Coach Gideon in the safety room right now.

*** So far the players have only had their initial zoom meetings with their coaches.

*** From what we are told they are going to be looking for a really good cover nickel so that will be an open competition and they may even wind up putting a corner there.

*** Jalen Green entered the portal and has received an offer from Mississippi State. You can make the connection there with former Texas DB coach Jason Washington. We are told there is still a chance he may stick around at Texas.

K will likely have more on this later.

Another thing he K shared with me was that Texas has reached out to people around FSU LB coach Chris Marve, but it does not appear to have progressed past that point at this time. 

CJ has a connection with Tosh Lupoi’s people and he is still working on finding out how much of a chance there still may be there.

Interesting note here is that we have heard that coach Sark has been in touch with former Texas player Mike Davis. Don’t know if it will happen, but it appears that Davis is looking to land some sort of role on the support staff. Perhaps similar to the role that Michael Huff plays in assisting with the defensive backs.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting note here is that we have heard that coach Sark has been in touch with former Texas player Mike Davis. Don’t know if it will happen, but it appears that Davis is looking to land some sort of role on the support staff. Perhaps similar to the role that Michael Huff plays in assisting with the defensive backs.

I always think of him as kind of a shitheel after the cheap shot against ISU but that's probably unfair. Maybe he can help with Dallas kids insofar as support staff can even help with recruiting. 

Edited by UncleSonny

*** Jalen Green entered the portal and has received an offer from Mississippi State. You can make the connection there with former Texas DB coach Jason Washington. We are told there is still a chance he may stick around at Texas.

Are we doing Herman from the start? Should Sark set precedent that once you enter the portal then you have quit the team? Is this year different where he gives players the benefit of the doubt? I say if they enter the portal it is time to let them go and wish them the best. He did say part of being successful is perseverance.

3) Regarding Coleman, I confirmed that Herman was all up in the WR corps' shit this year. Coleman wasn't in charge of his personnel selections and wouldn't have had Kai Money near the field. It wasn't Coleman directing Yancy McKnight to put 15 extra pounds on Jake Smith for this season. Herman basically decided that he'd rather just handle the WR spot via micromanagement than outsource it to someone outside of his network that he didn't trust, which he decided after interviewing a few guys that we'd have been happy to have. Herman didn't like having to defend the premise that he wasn't on the hot seat going into 2020 and would write guys off who pressed on the issue.

The radio guys were talking about this same thing the other day. Said they heard Herman wouldn't offer WRs until he did his own evaluation and chewed out an assistant coach for offering Garrett Wilson without his approval. Said he played favorites with personnel (probably whomever kissed his ass that week) which is why you'd see certain players getting more playing time than others. Was basically in Coleman's way all the time and overruled many of his decisions.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

I 100% agree.  It’s exciting to see where this can go.  I’ve followed college football my whole life and I’ve come to learn that most college coaches are idiots.  Most of these guys would probably never get into a school like Texas.  The reason I’m making this point is that these coaches sometimes make this job harder than it is.  In today’s college football, you need to 100% do the following.  Only a few programs can offer you the opportunity to do this and Texas is one of them.  You do the following and you will compete for the CFP.  Kirby Smart, who is an idiot, has proven this.

1.  Hire a team of good coaches and recruiters.  Sark has done this.
2.  Don’t be a dick to your team and recruits.  Sark seems to be very likeable. 

3.  Let the coaches you hire do their jobs without meddling.  Herman struggled with this, Strong seemed oblivious to anything and everything on this end.  Sark stated in his interview that the biggest thing he learned from Saban was to let the coaches do their jobs and not to try to do everything yourself.
4.  The most important aspect.  Recruit the biggest and fastest guys.  You will win 90% of your games in college football by simply just having better athletes.  Put your best players in space and give them the damn ball.  Herman couldn’t do this.  He stuck to his stupid system and played favorites.  Strong didn’t have the players.  That roster he inherited may have been the worst in the history of Texas football.

Just do those things above Sark and you will be a legend here, I promise you.

The roster Chuckie inherited was the worst in Texas football history, really? Tell me which of the following you wouldnt want on the team today..
Jordan Hicks
Quandre Diggs
Malcolm Brown- RB
Malcom Brown- DT
D'onta Foreman

And then of course the highly rated but dissapointing Jonathan Gray, Armanti Foreman and David Ash...none of which we'd want today, but thats in hindsight only.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:

The roster Chuckie inherited was the worst in Texas football history, really? Tell me which of the following you wouldnt want on the team today..
Jordan Hicks
Quandre Diggs
Malcolm Brown- RB
Malcom Brown- DT
D'onta Foreman

And then of course the highly rated but dissapointing Jonathan Gray, and David Ash...neither of which we'd want today, but thats in hindsight only.

5 guys out of 85, seems good, right?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

Herman wouldn't offer WRs until he did his own evaluation and chewed out an assistant coach for offering Garrett Wilson without his approval. Said he played favorites with personnel (probably whomever kissed his ass that week) which is why you'd see certain players getting more playing time than others. Was basically in Coleman's way all the time and overruled many of his decisions.

Herman = late era Mack Brown without the built up goodwill.

Manny Diaz told me that Mack wouldn't let him recruit certain players he wanted. And I know that going back to Muschamp, Mack had to watch film on players before assistants could offer. Problem was, Mack sometimes would never find the time to watch the film. It's why he liked those early camp offers so much. No effort required on his part.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

And then of course the highly rated but dissapointing Jonathan Gray, Armanti Foreman and David Ash...none of which we'd want today, but thats in hindsight only.

I seem to remember good things about Ash and that he simply had concussion issues that knocked (no pun) him off the path towards becomming a great QB.

Herman needs to eat a case of humble pie and spend at least 2-3yrs at "Camp Saban for Rehabilitation" to have any chance to ever be a decent coach again...
Or just fuck off football completely and live off the nice little nest egg he swindled out of us.

To be fair, I think he could be somewhat successful coaching again, but it would have to be a perrenial underdog school, not a blueblood or near blueblood.

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Elko was the primary recruiter for Hamilton and did all the leg work in that one, not Joseph. 

This isn't true at all. 

Matter of fact, Hamilton would have likely committed to UNC if Joseph was still there. They had a tight relationship even back to Joseph's UNC days. Hamilton's father is very close with Joseph. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I seem to remember good things about Ash and that he simply had concussion issues that knocked (no pun) him off the path towards becomming a great QB.

I was never impressed with Ash when he was in HS. He had good measurables and was decent, but there was nothing about his game that stood out. Another lazy take on our part.

I do think he is a good guy, which has nothing to do with his football ability.