Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

What the fuck....I make the mistake of going to sleep and we hire this fuck?!   

Indefensible.   Beyond the name, which is bad enough, this guy isn't even a good coach or recruiter.  Seriously fucked up.   

That's a lot of good will and support gone.   Sark better be right.  

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
16 minutes ago, wood said:
Stoops to Texas? Seems more likely that we're being trolled, imho, or the guy is just wrong. One asshole out there is making this claim. I'll wait til it's official before I freak out.

It is only one guy making the claim, but the silence from all camps who could potentially dispute it is deafening.

I am hoping it is one of those jump the gun things and we actually hire someone worth a fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

More influential to the program as a whole than Strong, Watson, Beck, Herman, Mehringer? Come on now.

Shittier hire.  Nobody said “more influential to the program as a whole.”   

Literally every coach on your list had a hand in an embarrassing OU loss where Mike Stoops got his ass handed to him, and the last three shit on him so bad they got him fired. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It is only one guy making the claim, but the silence from all camps who could potentially dispute it is deafening.

Agreed. This hire would be so immediately toxic to recruiting, especially when we are currently trying to attract LBs through the portal....     no way they would let this float for ever a few hours if fake. It did break late but only like 1030; hardly middle of the night. SOMEONE would have been spamming their contacts to push out 'this is not true' if it were wrong. Also the timing of this coming out fits- cowardly fucks decided to slide it in at the end of the cycle I guess hoping they banked enough positivity they could get away with it? Or they simply wanted to avoid having 10 high profile zoom calls where the first question is "How could you hire that fucking retard?"

I guess there is some tiny chance this was being intentionally leaked to gauge the fan/player reactions but that is likely a pipe dream. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

20 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

Absent an abysmal hire with the last defensive hire, this is easily a Top 10 staff in college football and has the potential to be even higher. 

Well, this would certainly qualify. Giving the surrounding cast, I don’t think one position coach necessarily breaks us. That said...you have a blank check for asssistant hires, some well-respected established as well as rising stars under consideration (Vandy/FSU dude discussed) with development and/or recruiting chops, have proven the UT program is again a place where even badasses with limited connections to the already-hired coaches are willing to leave good gigs so long as the price is right (Kwiakowski, Banks) - and you squander that opportunity for an abject failure in the coaching and personality/like ability department? Fucking really?! Oh, AND his last name is Stoops? Beyond idiotic.

Definition of insanity, etc. (see UoB thread), but I’m in the denial phase here and am choosing to believe for time being that something else is at play here. Sark is doing Stoops a publicity solid by putting some lipstick on that cock gobbler for any other programs kicking his tires or on the fence about seriously considering him for an opening - Stoops and Tennessee would be a great match for one another. Or, Occam’s razor: the 9.95ers don’t know shit. Please 8-pound, 6-ounce, newborn infant Jesus, let it be so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, TexasEx said:

Y’all act like 6 weeks ago we weren’t floating Bob “Stoops is Poops” as a head coaching candidate. Let’s fuck around and find out if Mike Stoops is up to the challenge of being our goddamn linebacker’s coach under a top 5 DC. He’s also a graduate of the nick saban coaching rehabilitation school of dominance. Worst case, he flames out this year and we 86 him. Best case, he helps us buttfuck Riley out of Norman and into the nfl. 

I went to bed in a completely different space than this.  ^THIS above is where I am after a refreshing six hours of sleep. 
Im going to choose to be positive, until proven otherwise. He may be a failure at coaching LB’s this coming season; but as many have pointed out, PK as a DC should keep him reigned in and focused. If not, bounce him/

But do it AT THE FIRST SIGN OF IDOITCY, not when it costs them a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, wood said:

Stoops to Texas? Seems more likely that we're being trolled, imho, or the guy is just wrong. One asshole out there is making this claim. I'll wait til it's official before I freak out.

Excellent point. I, for instance, simply got behind the decision in an attempt to be more positive. Hell, it’s not even been announced. 
TAP.THE.BRAKES.

How Sark talk about authentic relationships and putting players needs first and then hire someone who’s a huge asshole that is disliked by all of his players. I’m not even looking at his coaching history. His history with players and being an asshole is enough to him to be a complete nonstarter.

• Hook 'Em 3

No.  The word is no.  

No, Mike Stoops is not a good coach.

No, Mike Stoops is not an upgrade over Coleman Hutzler.

No, Mike Stoops should never walk the sideline at DKR.

No, this is not a sneaky good hire by Sark, who knows something we don't.

No, this does not improve our staff.  Quite the opposite.

No, Mike fucking Stoops is not the best option left out there to hire.

No, Sark did not have to do this.  Very puzzling use of goodwill and positive capital.

No, you cannot rationalize it.

No.

• Hook 'Em 8

I went to bed in a completely different space than this.  ^THIS above is where I am after a refreshing six hours of sleep. 
Im going to choose to be positive, until proven otherwise. He may be a failure at coaching LB’s this coming season; but as many have pointed out, PK as a DC should keep him reigned in and focused. If not, bounce him/
But do it AT THE FIRST SIGN OF IDOITCY, not when it costs them a game.

Actually worst case scenario is he continues to be who he has been for decades, and Sark keeps him around regardless because he obviously really wants him here, no different than Watson, Mehringer, whoever.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

How Sark talk about authentic relationships and putting players needs first and then hire someone who’s a huge asshole that is disliked by all of his players. I’m not even looking at his coaching history. His history with players and being an asshole is enough to him to be a complete nonstarter.

This is also an excellent point. His players have always hated him and that is completely antithetical to what Sarkisian has been selling. 

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I bet we have more wins with Mike fucking Stoops as our LB coach than with any other in the last 8 years. Because it matters that little with the staff we’ve put together.

If it matters that little then you still don't do it because he's a fucking moron named Stoops and you know it will piss us off.

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not to mention that him being an open Trump supporter probably isn't going to go over well with guys like DMo. Or 70% of the team, honestly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Welp, I was excited about the future but a move like this is so reminiscent of Herman and Strong it almost seems ominous. Maybe the other coaches will be good enough to compensate but it seems there are many other quality coaches who we left on the table. 

Stoops is the best guy in the nation for our position? 

please let someone make that argument. He’s such a shitty person it completely eclipses his coaching mediocre as it is

a complete head scratcher unless it’s just a pure comfort hire 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

as an analyst.

I think the more comparable hire would be Strong’s hires where we told the guy no and he brings him in anyways.

Also:

dumb and dumber vomit GIF

The only thing an analyst doesn't do at Alabama is go on the road to recruit.  Other than that they have the same responsibilities as the position coaches.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Honestly this just feels right. No, not the hire. The feeling that our head coach just decided to set himself on fire with the worst staff hire imaginable. This is what we've come to know and love. It feels like a warm blanket... covered in small pox. 

The conservation of shittiness. You gotta balance out the good with a shitload of bad.

This really shouldn't be a surprise - Sark tried to hire him as a DC and described him on one of the Zoom calls as the brightest defensive mind he had met.  Assuming he actually meant those things he's not going to give a fuck about what we think.  He did spend the last two years with him at Alabama - so he probably has a decent idea of what the players there thought of him.

After the initial outrage I've reached the 'who gives a fuck' stage of grief.  Its a LB coach.  If he shits the bed and alienates the ILB's in his position room then he gets fired and we move on.  Stoops isn't going to be the reason we don't win 10 games next season.

As for the political pic floating through this thread - as abhorrent as I think those views are - I'm guessing in the coaching ranks that is much more the norm that the alternative.  And players are smart enough to know that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2