Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

36 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

No. What Super K said is that CDC green lit the hiring. Then his phone blew up and this morning the deal is off. 

Seems much more likely to me that the shit was just never happening to start with.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Here's what I'm going with. The greatest coach in the history of college football felt he was good enough to put on his staff. 

In an off the field role. I would take Stoops as a game film editor or something but keep him the fuck away from the players. 

Just now, wood said:

Seems much more likely to me that the shit was just never happening to start with.

If that's the case, unfortunately the alternative is fact now. CDC and Sark went in on Stoops. Suggesting anything else will lead to a 1,000 word reply of name-calling. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You literally just got confirmation on the Stoops hire, and he was an impediment in moving on from Herman and also wanted to hire James Franklin. Not all these things get officially reported, but if you only want to believe what Brian Davis and Kurt Bowles tell you in the Statesman, then go ahead. 

If we do indeed hire a non-Stoops as LB coach today, doesn't that throw cold water on the "Stoops was all set to be hired until the backlash" theory? 

We were able to hire a different coach less than 24 hours after the previous hire fell through? We had a backup ready to go in case Stoops was rejected? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If its true that a deal was done then boosters blocked the hire then there is no way Tosh is the hire. You don't try to hire a bumbling idiot only to fall back onto a top 5 recruiter. In this case Marve probably gets announced sometime today

Tosh circumstances are a lot different than Mike Stoops.

Tosh is regarded as a good positional coach whether defensive line or linebackers and his recruiting is out of this world.

Vacant positions are filling up fast and I'm perfectly okay with a Lupoi or Chris Marve type hire for the last position.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

10 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, there are only about 100 KState games you could Google and watch on youtube. Go take a gander, and decide for yourself.

CHIEF

I don't have time to watch all those games.  But maybe you should.  Yes, Snyder was a great coach.  But you are assuming that because Coleman was associated with him, he has to be a great coach as well.  Guess what.  Mike Stoops was also part of the Snyder tree.  And he coached with him back when K-State was actually good.  But you seemed opposed to that hire (thank god it sounds like not legit)

Although I didn't have time to watch games like you suggested, I did look up some stats quickly.  During Coleman's time at K-State under Snyder, their winning percentage was 58%.  The last year when Coleman was elevated to Offensive Coordinator, they finished 5-7 and averaged 162 yards per game passing.  Over Colemans tenure at K-state they averaged less than 200 ypg passing.  Does that mean he can't coach WR or has a good offensive mind?  Of course not.  But it is certainly not a positive data point. 

I don't know whether or not Coleman can be a successful WR coach here or not.  But let's not act like it's a gimme because the legendary Coach Snyder had him on his staff.  From what I'm seeing, both direct and indirect evidence, the jury is still out.  Hell, Sark tried to hire another WR coach over Coleman and was told no.  So here we sit.  Not sure what else to say other than the dude needs to prove himself.  Not sure how that is debatable tbh.  

Tosh circumstances are a lot different than Mike Stoops.

Tosh is regarded as a good positional coach whether defensive line or linebackers and his recruiting is out of this world.

He’s never coached inside LBs. He’s primarily coached DL and coached OLBs at Bama, which was pretty much a DE coach.

41 minutes ago, jinx said:

I'm definitely curious on the back story. I wonder if Sark thought he wanted Stoops all along and knew it was bad energy to start, so he decided to hold off until he had gained goodwill on the others and tried to float it again. Regardless, it is not good. 

Hope he knows that this hire would blowtorch all of the goodwill he has built to this point. I'm not sure CDC even knows the depth of hatred for all things Stoops/ OU. And I just can't shake the Manchurian Candidate thought of Stoops being anywhere in our program. No analyst, no nothing.  I don't want him stopping by Sark's office for a cup of coffee.

This.

No way in God's name we want Mike Stoops on the UT staff.

Someone needs to explain to Sark the saga of Tom Herman's Casey Horny mistake.

There are certain individuals the alumni cannot and will not support being on the school payroll. And not all are deemed odious for the same reason.

Fuck Bob Stoops. And the entire "Stoops family" brand.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He’s never coached inside LBs. He’s primarily coached DL and coached OLBs at Bama, which was pretty much a DE coach.

per TFB, PK can coach anywhere on the front 7.  If we're worried about Tosh at ILB, move him to OLB and put PK inside

• Hook 'Em 1

2000.jpg?width=1020&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=91db39748efb18d077b25bfbd2ab1272
Jesus Fucking Christ, Surly. 

I have no idea if it was never on and we were all just $9.95ed, or if the bit about it being called after overwhelming backlash is true. Probably never will. I absolutely do know it was meltdown worthy should it have came to pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Hear me out....

Two possible hiring scenarios are the following:

Lupoi - OLB/Run Game Coordinator Kwiatkowski ILB/DC

or

Marve - ILB : Kwiatkowski OLB/DC

Either of these scenarios I am perfectly okay with. 

I think having a recruiter like Lupoi and have Kwiatkowski coaching ILB in his defense is the better option of the two but either works well in my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

PK has said many times in the past that he can coach any of the front 7. He just sort of defaulted into OLBs but I doubt he would have any issue moving over to focus more on ILBs if we get someone like Tosh who is more comfortable with OLB. He definitely had a direct hand in coaching and controlling all LBs not just OLBs (more so than just the general way a DC has a hand in everything). 

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If it ends up this way, I think between Tosh Lupoi, Bo Davis, and Pete Kwiatkowski, we've got defensive position coaching for the front seven sewn up just fine.  If you can find a trio of better DL/LB position coaches in CFB, I'd be interested in seeing it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Hear me out....

Two possible hiring scenarios are the following:

Lupoi - OLB/Run Game Coordinator Kwiatkowski ILB/DC

or

Marve - ILB : Kwiatkowski OLB/DC

Either of these scenarios I am perfectly okay with. 

I think having a recruiter like Lupoi and have Kwiatkowski coaching ILB in his defense is the better option of the two but either works well in my mind. 

I got no issue with either of this scenarios.. But the national media would be amazed with the staff with Tosh on it.. the number of stories about the staff and how good Stark is doing would be up 5 fold vs Marve

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

This immediate willingness to blame CDC for every rumored fuckup in the coach hiring saga is amusing.

Technically, CDC was brought in to help clean up the football program and CDC does do the hiring and firing in the athletics department. Sark certainly hasn't eraned the right to unilaterally make all decisions regarding the football program.

If not CDC, who should we hold responsible for the oversight of the athletics programs on campus?

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Foosters said:

If we do indeed hire a non-Stoops as LB coach today, doesn't that throw cold water on the "Stoops was all set to be hired until the backlash" theory? 

We were able to hire a different coach less than 24 hours after the previous hire fell through? We had a backup ready to go in case Stoops was rejected? 

How do you figure? If someone who is hiring for an open position has talked with multiple candidates and the hiring of one candidate falls through why would it take another week to hire candidate 2? You move to the next candidate, offer him the job, he says yes, he's hired.

It would only take a while if he'd only talked to one person about the job.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

This.

No way in God's name we want Mike Stoops on the UT staff.

Someone needs to explain to Sark the saga of Tom Herman's Casey Horny mistake.

There are certain individuals the alumni cannot and will not support being on the school payroll. And not all are deemed odious for the same reason.

Fuck Bob Stoops. And the entire "Stoops family" brand.

Wait. When did Tom Herman get fired? I thought we were all told by the most knowledgeable poster on Surly repeatedly in a series of interminable, maniacal posts that there was no way he was going to be fired, and the Legislature would kill UT for it. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

So it was a bad game of telephone and a Gump that wanted to get a scoop first...

Hey we heard Stoops has been one of Sarks choices at LB coach and all the other options have said no

Gump:Sark may hire Stoops!

Texas995ers: Stark is hiring Stoops?!?

Surly: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEE Kill CDC, burn down the stadium and kill Sark

CDC at 6 this morning when he woke up and is taking his morning shit: WTF are all of these angry emails abotu hiring Stoops? Call Sark..

Sark to CDC: WTF is wrong with people, IO ahve been trying to finish hiring Marve or Tosh all night and got our guy and are ready to annoucne this afternoon according to legal. Ill leak this to the press

Surly: YAY we did it... I got rid of Stoops!!

I think Surly deserves a round of applause for all our collective hard work in filing out the staff.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

How do you figure? If someone who is hiring for an open position has talked with multiple candidates and the hiring of one candidate falls through why would it take another week to hire candidate 2? You move to the next candidate, offer him the job, he says yes, he's hired.

It would only take a while if he'd only talked to one person about the job.

Sure, that's likely. I'm reaching for whatever I can to convince myself he wasn't about to do it.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Wait. When did Tom Herman get fired? I thought we were all told repeatedly in a series of interminable, maniacal posts that there was no way he was going to be fired, and the Legislature would kill UT for it. 

I'm missing something here, aren't I?

• Haha 2