Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

9 minutes ago, SDG said:

Exactly; people need to realize that no one of importance was in the administration during the last two hires.  New President, new Athletic Director etc.  Until they fuck it up we should give them the benefit of the doubt.  

I used up my benefit of doubt on all the other fuck ups

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, SDG said:

Exactly; people need to realize that no one of importance was in the administration during the last two hires.  New President, new Athletic Director etc.  Until they fuck it up we should give them the benefit of the doubt.  

I'm not panicking because he hit it out of the park on half the hires and the other few are decent to very good. 9/10 is still better than the last two guys and if the redo coach is Lupoi, Marve, or somebody like that then he'll have another homerun.

Man, can someone provide a summary of the most relevant events? I left here last night feeling pretty good, just knowing that we may be in a good place with Bryan Carrington and Jake Langi, and having been entertained by a face-off between our resident $9.95er and our resident Usain Bolt Big Cigar aficionado.

After a busy morning I sifted through quite a few pages and couldn't figure out what the fuck happened, except the following:

Some dude named Cooterhorn broke the following news:

image.thumb.png.43b62368cef47f52fa40713826d47209.png

And then this happened:

tenor.gif

followed by 

SliG-W.gif

and finally 

0011a280f50eec2e823fa6a9009f868d.gif

What else is there?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok I’ve been...unavoidably detained for the past 7 hours so I’ve skipped 10 pages, read this page, and also saw that the official hires thread hasn’t been updated. 
Do we not have a lb coach yet?

Thankfully...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Man, can someone provide a summary of the most relevant events? I left here last night feeling pretty good, just knowing that we may be in a good place with Bryan Carrington and Jake Langi, and having been entertained by a face-off between our resident $9.95er and our resident Usain Bolt Big Cigar aficionado.

After a busy morning I sifted through quite a few pages and couldn't figure out what the fuck happened, except the following:

Some dude named Cooterhorn broke the following news:

image.thumb.png.43b62368cef47f52fa40713826d47209.png

And then this happened:

tenor.gif

followed by 

SliG-W.gif

and finally 

0011a280f50eec2e823fa6a9009f868d.gif

What else is there?

All this coaching change has many with a feable mind. That not only was a Stoops heading to Austin,  we were hiring a guy ou fired. 

5 minutes ago, Prime said:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/01/another-alabama-staffer-set-to-join-steve-sarkisian-at-texas.html

[spoiler] 

Coming out of Thursday, Mike Stoops was all set to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff at Texas.

That’s not the case anymore, though.

So what changed? Here’s the backstory on the Stoops-Texas situation based on information gathered from AL.comsources.

Stoops, who worked at Alabama with Sarkisian the last two seasons, was going to be hired as Sarkisian’s linebackers coach. It was an interesting development, especially considering the Stoops family ties to Texas’ top rival, Oklahoma, where Stoops’ brother Bob was the head coach from 1999 to 2016 and where Stoops himself worked from 1999 to 2003 and then again as the Sooners’ defensive coordinator from 2012 to 2018. It was enough of a done deal that Stoops was going to Texas that he informed Alabama and head coach Nick Saban of his plans on Thursday, said his goodbyes to people around the Crimson Tide program, left his job as a Tide analyst and was expected to fly to Texas on Friday to begin the process of finding a new place to live along with wife.

Then came Friday morning and a call from Sarkisian that changed those plans.

Sarkisian shared during that call that he could no longer make the hire. Multiple sources referenced that backlash regarding the potential of hiring Stoops may have played a role in eliminating the possibility.

So what now?

Texas will hire a different linebackers coach. Meanwhile, it sounds like Stoops, who turned down multiple FBS defensive coordinator opportunities this offseason, will return to his job as an analyst at Alabama.

[/spoiler]

🤘😁🤘

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

It’s one thing to be a coach at a rival school - it’s another to be such a colossal asshole that fans remember you long after you’re gone and administrators/BMD do everything in their power to keep you off of campus. 

It has nothing to do with being from OU.  Just the fact that he is a fucking asshole.  

3 minutes ago, Prime said:

Then came Friday morning and a call from Sarkisian that changed those plans.  Sarkisian shared during that call that he could no longer make the hire. Multiple sources referenced that backlash regarding the potential of hiring Stoops may have played a role in eliminating the possibility.  So what now?  Texas will hire a different linebackers coach. Meanwhile, it sounds like Stoops, who turned down multiple FBS defensive coordinator opportunities this offseason, will return to his job as an analyst at Alabama.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Prime said:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2021/01/another-alabama-staffer-set-to-join-steve-sarkisian-at-texas.html

Coming out of Thursday, Mike Stoops was all set to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff at Texas.

So what changed? Here’s the backstory on the Stoops-Texas situation based on information gathered from AL.comsources.

Stoops, who worked at Alabama with Sarkisian the last two seasons, was going to be hired as Sarkisian’s linebackers coach. It was an interesting development, especially considering the Stoops family ties to Texas’ top rival, Oklahoma, where Stoops’ brother Bob was the head coach from 1999 to 2016 and where Stoops himself worked from 1999 to 2003 and then again as the Sooners’ defensive coordinator from 2012 to 2018. It was enough of a done deal that Stoops was going to Texas that he informed Alabama and head coach Nick Saban of his plans on Thursday, said his goodbyes to people around the Crimson Tide program, left his job as a Tide analyst and was expected to fly to Texas on Friday to begin the process of finding a new place to live along with wife.

Sarkisian shared during that call that he could no longer make the hire. Multiple sources referenced that backlash regarding the potential of hiring Stoops may have played a role in eliminating the possibility.

So what now?

Texas will hire a different linebackers coach. Meanwhile, it sounds like Stoops, who turned down multiple FBS defensive coordinator opportunities this offseason, will return to his job as an analyst at Alabama.

Stoops had multiple FBS DC opportunities?  Bull Fucking Shit. That ass didn’t have squat. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Prime said:

So what now?

Looks like Sark just got his one freebie.  I hope it was worth it to preserve his relationship with Mike fucking Stoops.  

Paradigm shifting, in the sense of "range of Sark decision-making possibilities." 

I can’t help but think the attempted Stoops hire was something Sark, CDC and Stoops had worked out between themselves and sat on it  knowing there would be some blowback. That is why they waited to the last minute to try and slide it through on the coattails of all the other positively received hires hoping it would lessen the impact of such an announcement. That may be why it was the last hire. They obviously underestimated the level of blowback that was incoming. Thank the football gods!

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I can’t help but think the attempted Stoops hire was something Sark, CDC and Stoops had worked out between themselves and sat on it  knowing there would be some blowback. That is why they waited to the last minute to try and slide it through on the coattails of all the other positively received hires hoping it would lessen the impact of such an announcement. That may be why it was the last hire. They obviously underestimated the level of blowback that was incoming. Thank the football gods!

This is very likely the case 

4 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I hope not. That would be a pretty fuckin stupid plan.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo14 said:

I hope not. That would be a pretty fuckin stupid plan.

No stupider than hiring him outright and ignoring the blowback. It almost seems like they were prepared to pull the plug if it went poorly, which it did, and they correctly did. Those guys are all friends and I think in their minds his hire at that position shouldn’t be enough to affect the team and fandom with regard to overall staff and team performance. Trying to give him some help maybe. But blew up bigger than expected, so they jettisoned.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

The best part of this was that after this morning, this name could’ve been Greg Fucking Davis and no one would’ve given a fuck lol 

Worked with PK in 14&15 as a DL guy.  Would imagine he’d be the OLB coach. 

I mean you could just not fill the fucking position at this point and it would work.

Looks like Sark just got his one freebie.  I hope it was worth it to preserve his relationship with Mike fucking Stoops.  
Paradigm shifting, in the sense of "range of Sark decision-making possibilities." 
Data point. Sark at least was smart enough not to pull a Horney and subject us to a PC talking about Mike fn Stoops.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just read two seconds of that guy's bio and already know he's worlds better than Mike stoops.

Actually I read his name and knew he'd be better, because he isn't Mike stoops.

This would, yet again, be a great hire for Sark. Why we fucked around and even tried to push through such a terrible choice when there were so many good choices out there is beyond me, but I'm glad to see we're back at rational decision making again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2