Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

The position coach I'm most excited about is Banks for the following reason:

1) Recruiting

2) Special teams will be amazing

3) Pole Assassin/Monkey

In no particular order.

DC hire is a grand slam.  Nice having Bo Davis back as well.

Liar

3, 2=1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Ahahahahaha

I'm just going to assume that the fucksticks at USC or Alabama don't truly know what it means to have a rival that you abso-fucking-lutely hate to the core. You despise that rival with every bone, muscle, and fiber in your body. Nobody at Alabama would blink an eye if they hired colossal failure Chizik to be their DC. Noboody at USC would even notice if Rick Neuheisel was announced as QB coach. Because they don't really understand what a true rivalry is.

So, I'll just assume that Sark, never having actually been involved in an actual honest to goodness rivalry of hatred, was blissfully unaware of how much the fanbase , BMDs, and players would react to this fuckup. Perhaps he now understands the magnitude of his fuckup and what a real rivalry actually is.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, cdain3 said:

Choate should be head coach for a p5 school. We got him coaching LBs. His team won 11 games in 2019. WOW

In an interesting twist of fate, it was Coleman Hutzler who replaced Jeff Choate at Florida as LBs coach after Will Muschamp cleaned house there following the 2013 season.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

I can’t help but think the attempted Stoops hire was something Sark, CDC and Stoops had worked out between themselves and sat on it  knowing there would be some blowback. That is why they waited to the last minute to try and slide it through on the coattails of all the other positively received hires hoping it would lessen the impact of such an announcement. That may be why it was the last hire. They obviously underestimated the level of blowback that was incoming. Thank the football gods!

This definitely seems like how it played out until the Alabama reporter blew it all up. They were going to sneak it into the press conference, but then UT fans got notice ahead of time and we’re able to tank it, which explains why they didn’t have a LB coach to announce. 

The hilarious part is that we basically just trolled the shit out of Stoops and caused him to pass up other job opportunities. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

This seems to be the hire that always would have made sense. Coach K comes in and brings one of the guys who knows his scheme.

The Stoops debacle didn't even make any sense even w/o BlOU baggage (why pick an LB coach who hasnt coached LBs in 3 decades). Ready to win and put that near-unforced error behind us.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

In an interesting twist of fate, it was Coleman Hutzler who replaced Jeff Choate at Florida as LBs coach after Will Muschamp cleaned house there following the 2013 season.

Weird. Still on the Sark train, but this and the Stoops blunder are concerning

28 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

The best part of this was that after this morning, this name could’ve been Greg Fucking Davis and no one would’ve given a fuck lol 

Worked with PK in 14&15 as a DL guy.  Would imagine he’d be the OLB coach. 

Dont care. Not Stoops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Friend of mine married a Choate. To get the hotel reservations, my wife had to call the hotel and tell them we were with the Choate party, but she laughed uncontrollably for easily 5 minutes trying to explain this to the poor receptionist, who was understandably frustrated. "I'm with the Cho- *15 seconds of laughing* I'm with the Cho...". It didn't help that I kept telling her to get the Choate out of her mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeff-Choate-814/AllTimeRecruits/

Doesn't exactly seem like a rainmaker 

Texas recruits itself. Jason Washingtons all time list was worse and he pulled in the best DB class ever. All reports say this guy is a real coach who develops his guys, that's exactly what we need. Plus I hear that we are putting in some serious money on the recruiting department with several staff members so im not worried about that at all.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prime said:

Glad PK gets to bring in one of his assistants...

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/jeff-choates-contract-with-montana-state-bobcats-includes-250-000-buyout

Jeff Choate's contract with Montana State Bobcats includes $250,000 buyout 

By: Slim Kimmel   Posted at 2:36 PM, Jan 07, 2021

BOZEMAN -- As part of a new contract Montana State head football coach Jeff Choate signed with the university last year, he would have to pay the university $250,000 if he terminates the agreement with more than 12 months remaining on the contract. The contract is set to expire on Jan. 31, 2024.

MTN Sports received a copy of Choate's contract, which he signed on March 20, 2020. The contract was also signed by MSU director of athletics Leon Costello and MSU president Waded Cruzado.

The contract, which took effect on Feb. 1, 2020, paid Choate an annual base salary of $206,311. Choate would annually earn an additional $80,000 for participating in coaches shows and $30,000 for participating in fundraisers organized by Montana State.

Numerous other performance incentives are also included in the contract. Choate would receive $15,000 if the Bobcats play an NCAA Bowl Championship team and another $10,000 if they defeat a Bowl Championship team. He would earn $12,500 if the Bobcats finish as the Big Sky Conference regular-season champion and varying amounts depending on how far they advance in the FCS Playoffs. Choate would receive a $50,000 bonus if wins a national championship with the Bobcats.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a random family connection to folks high up in Montana state athletics.

They would not be happy about him leaving and love him there if that does anything for you. 

I’ve asked if it’s final on their end and haven’t heard back. 

updated - this was the response: “He is the best!  Seriously. He would be best hire Sark could make ”

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I just read two seconds of that guy's bio and already know he's worlds better than Mike stoops.

Actually I read his name and knew he'd be better, because he isn't Mike stoops.

This would, yet again, be a great hire for Sark. Why we fucked around and even tried to push through such a terrible choice when there were so many good choices out there is beyond me, but I'm glad to see we're back at rational decision making again.

Is there actual confirmation or was it just be from an Alabama paper?

Just now, Enchubben said:

I have a random family connection to folks high up in Montana state athletics.

They would not be happy about him leaving and love him there if that does anything for you. 

I’ve asked if it’s final on their end and haven’t heard back. 

He's already told the players good-bye, but I guess its always possible Sark could unhire him too.

26 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I just read two seconds of that guy's bio and already know he's worlds better than Mike stoops.

Actually I read his name and knew he'd be better, because he isn't Mike stoops.

This would, yet again, be a great hire for Sark. Why we fucked around and even tried to push through such a terrible choice when there were so many good choices out there is beyond me, but I'm glad to see we're back at rational decision making again.

right?

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Glad PK gets to bring in one of his assistants...

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/jeff-choates-contract-with-montana-state-bobcats-includes-250-000-buyout

Jeff Choate's contract with Montana State Bobcats includes $250,000 buyout 

By: Slim Kimmel   Posted at 2:36 PM, Jan 07, 2021

BOZEMAN -- As part of a new contract Montana State head football coach Jeff Choate signed with the university last year, he would have to pay the university $250,000 if he terminates the agreement with more than 12 months remaining on the contract. The contract is set to expire on Jan. 31, 2024.

MTN Sports received a copy of Choate's contract, which he signed on March 20, 2020. The contract was also signed by MSU director of athletics Leon Costello and MSU president Waded Cruzado.

The contract, which took effect on Feb. 1, 2020, paid Choate an annual base salary of $206,311. Choate would annually earn an additional $80,000 for participating in coaches shows and $30,000 for participating in fundraisers organized by Montana State.

Numerous other performance incentives are also included in the contract. Choate would receive $15,000 if the Bobcats play an NCAA Bowl Championship team and another $10,000 if they defeat a Bowl Championship team. He would earn $12,500 if the Bobcats finish as the Big Sky Conference regular-season champion and varying amounts depending on how far they advance in the FCS Playoffs. Choate would receive a $50,000 bonus if wins a national championship with the Bobcats.

oh no $250k i don't know how we'll ever afford it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

This is concerning since Montana State has historically churned out a long line of NFL talent.

I'm not exactly concerned, but the guy has been at Boise St/Washington/Florida, only 3 years total at the P5 jobs, but he has been at spots where they get talent