Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Yeah, they had a restaurant that served fajitas, among many other things. It was advertised about their menu and people started coming to the hotel just to eat in the restaurant.

Fajitas were introduced to Texas from Mexico at the Drive Inn restaurant in Pharr. It was an old drive inn converted to an inside restaurant. I did some work in the Valley in 1978-79 and this place was famous for them. It was popular in Mexico and I had them in Nuevo Laredo around that time. They later got discovered at On The Border in Dallas a few years later.

• Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

First time I ate them was at a grocery store in Zapata in the late 70s or early 80s. First time I had them at home, I ate them with Heinz 57 and had no idea that was a sin. 

Were fajitas to blame for your defiling yourself at Pancho’s as a child? 

Edited by Chili dog
Punctuation
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Chili dog said:

We’re fajitas to blame for your defiling yourself at Pancho’s as a child? 

Silly goose. Pancho’s did not serve fajitas in the early 70s. Not sure they ever did.

That visit brought new meaning to “chili gravy,” though. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

SoCar is weird in that their land grant school is higher ranked academically than their flagship. But SoCar is still the flagship.

They're better at liberal arts and weirdly have a great international relations program. 

Between you and C-Man, consider my mind blown.  I feel like Jake Gittes in Chinatown:  "When a wife tells me she's happy that her husband is cheating on her, it runs contrary to my experience."  

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

Holy shit this guy is butt hurt.

Thanks for posting.  This is exactly why I hate Bammer with the heat of 1000 suns.  These stupid fuckers are on par with OU as the worst fan base I have encountered. I knew when I saw these idiots carrying around Tide boxes with toilet paper on top of them at the 1993 SEC Championship that they were Forrest Gump special. I showed up to that game not caring who won. After a few minutes around Tide fans I became a Gator fan for the day and it stuck.

Fuck Bama!    

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Holy shit this guy is butt hurt.

On Golding becoming leading candidate here at Texas, he and Alabama fans say Thank God! Comments on articles from last year and this year from Alabama fans is that they can't wait to get rid of this guy. Hope Sark passes on the guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

On Golding becoming leading candidate here at Texas, he and Alabama fans say Thank God! Comments on articles from last year and this year from Alabama fans is that they can't wait to get rid of this guy. Hope Sark passes on the guy.

You're right. It would really suck to hire a defensive coordinator that held 2 playoff teams 20 points under their season average. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

What's the board opinion on the Wide Receivers coach?

From what I'm seeing, we are retaining Coleman?

I thought Jake Smith was supposed to have a breakout year and that never happened.

Would have liked to see an upgrade to a known stud but willing to wait an additional year to assess his coaching now that Banks is in to help out on the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sailorhorn said:

Fajitas were introduced to Texas from Mexico at the Drive Inn restaurant in Pharr. It was an old drive inn converted to an inside restaurant. I did some work in the Valley in 1978-79 and this place was famous for them. It was popular in Mexico and I had them in Nuevo Laredo around that time. They later got discovered at On The Border in Dallas a few years later.

They were pretty ubiquitous in the early 80’s if my childhood memories serve me correctly.  But I grew up in South Texas.  Lionel Garza at the muy grande in Freer used to make some damn good ones. The kind that Mexicans cook down here by smoking over mesquite in a pit.  I recall that being my first culinary love.  Later in my teens I moved to Colorado and missed them sorely.  I remember at some festival in the rinky dink town I lived this guy was selling fajitas.  I was so excited...Until he lifted the lid on his electric skillet and there was this insipid, steamed in it own juices gray meat with thick cut green bell peppers.  He slapped it on who knows what kind of terrible, store bought tortillas. It might still be my biggest disappointment in a meal.

Edited by Teamdirtyleg
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Xian said:

I had no idea fajitas were this “new” of a food.  I guess i thought they had always existed or something. 
I just asked my wife (raised in miami) and apparently she hadn't even heard of them before I took her to ninfas on navigation shortly after she moved to texas.    Now its one of her favorite meals. 

my mind is blown.   

Ask her if she knows about "cuban" sandwiches . . .

• Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

What's the board opinion on the Wide Receivers coach?

From what I'm seeing, we are retaining Coleman?

I thought Jake Smith was supposed to have a breakout year and that never happened.

Coleman is a fundamentals first teacher. He’s going to teach precision in route running and technique which is going to mix very well with Sark. Additionally, he won’t have Herman messing with personnel decisions and he will have more time to with the players as last year he wasn’t afforded too much with covid. 

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You're right. It would really suck to hire a defensive coordinator that held 2 playoff teams 20 points under their season average. 

Yea I remember these arguments 4 years ago for a guy that beat Louisville and Oklahoma. Yet when one watched the tape receivers were missed when running wide open though Orlando's defense. Alabama fans don't know good defense therefore they want the guy gone. Good thing you know better we should want Golding.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yea I remember these arguments 4 years ago for a guy that beat Louisville and Oklahoma. Yet when one watched the tape receivers were missed when running wide open though Orlando's defense. Alabama fans don't know good defense therefore they want the guy gone. Good thing you know better we should want Golding.

Personally, I could give two shits what Alabama fans think. There's other ways to evaluate a coordinator/defense than relying on other fanbases. 

Can you make a coherent argument against Golding other than "Alabama fans think he's bad." 

And I thought Orlando was very meh before we hired him. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Personally, I could give two shits what Alabama fans think. There's other ways to evaluate a coordinator/defense than relying on other fanbases. 

Can you make a coherent argument against Golding other than "Alabama fans think he's bad." 

No I cannot but then again they watched Kirby and Pruitt and then Golding and can tell the difference and they do not like what they see. USC fans were exited about the possibility of Herman being a savior for their offense based on stats but we know about him having stupid rotations and slowing it down. You quote stats so do USC fans.

• Fuck You 6

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

No I cannot but then again they watched Kirby and Pruitt and then Golding and can tell the difference and they do not like what they see. USC fans were exited about the possibility of Herman being a savior for their offense based on stats but we know about him having stupid rotations and slowing it down. You quote stats so do USC fans.

It’s almost like Alabama’s offense became high powered which = scoring quickly and more defensive possessions. 

And it’s almost like the SEC added more spread based offenses that are much more difficult to stop. 

I hope Alabama hires Pruitt or Muschamp so Alabama fans realize how naive they are. The game has changed drastically since they had dominant defenses. They will want to run their next DC off too because they think it’s still possible to hold these offenses to 10 points. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

And I thought Orlando was very meh before we hired him. 

We don't know that he's "bad". We just know that of all the DCs in Saban's tenure he is by far the worst and that Saban helps a lot with that side of the ball.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It’s almost like Alabama’s offense became high powered which = scoring quickly and more defensive possessions. 

And it’s almost like the SEC added more spread based offenses that are much more difficult to stop. 

I hope Alabama hires Pruitt or Muschamp so Alabama fans realize how naive they are. The game has changed drastically since they had dominating defenses. They will want to run their next DC off too because they think it’s still possible to hold these offenses to 10 points which is impossible. 

Well the argument that it does not matter who we get since they will suck because the offenses are to damn good is one I am willing to agree too.

Yet we know better because on top of being helpless to stop the initial gain many of our defenses have given up additional yards with bad angles and poor tackling. I guess if Golding is hired we will find out if Alabama fans hate him due to unrealistic expectations or poor schemes and fundamentals.

5 minutes ago, Gigglebush said:

We don't know that he's "bad". We just know that of all the DCs in Saban's tenure he is by far the worst and that Saban helps a lot with that side of the ball.

This just isn’t true. Lupoi was awful and stripped of play calling duties in year 1 for guess who? Pete Golding. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html%3foutputType=amp

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, sailorhorn said:

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

They were pretty ubiquitous in the early 80’s if my childhood memories serve me correctly.  But I grew up in South Texas.  Lionel Garza at the muy grande in Freer used to make some damn good ones. The kind that Mexicans cook down here by smoking over mesquite in a pit.  I recall that being my first culinary love.  Later in my teens I moved to Colorado and missed them sorely.  I remember at some festival in the rinky dink town I lived this guy was selling fajitas.  I was so excited...Until he lifted the lid on his electric skillet and there was this insipid, steamed in it own juices gray meat with thick cut green bell peppers.  He slapped it on who knows what kind of terrible, store bought tortillas. It might still be my biggest disappointment in a meal.

My earliest recollection of having fajitas was at NIOSA in the late 70s. 

• Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, sailorhorn said:

What?  I can assure you that in those days, even today, if you ask Mexicans about "fajitas" you get the wtf are you talking about look.  Mexicans call what we know as fajitas, tacos al carbon or parillada de bistec.  Mexico did NOT invent the dish "fajitas".  Its like saying Mexico invented the Margarita.  Its synonymous with Mexico but does not originate from there rather from someone with Mexican heritage, much like fajitas.  They are Tex Mex.  The Paloma is the cocktail of choice, known, in Mexico.  Ironically the Cesar Salad was created in Mexico.  

https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/2005-03-04/261130/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

...can you fuckers take the "who invented fajitas" bullshit elsewhere?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Your feelers still hurt, about my negging you yesterday, phaggot?

Edited by RollLeft
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 15

26 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Who knew KatFid, one of the originators and perpetuators of cheese puns, was so concerned with staying on topic?

If you have news or information, post it. Here is an article if you are interested: https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns-football-staff-coach-assistant-tracker/

All this other shit is grating.

Updated tracker of Steve Sarkisian's staff at Texas

January 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Rumors continue to swirl on who will join Steve Sarkisian’s staff at Texas.

A few names appear set in stone to follow Sarkisian to Austin, such as Alabama’s offensive line coach Kyle Flood and Detroit Lions defensive line coach Bo Davis. However, several vacancies remain; none more important than the defensive coordinator role. Although the defensive coordinator search has been kept under wraps, supporting pieces of the defensive staff have already begun to take shape. You’d have to assume Sarkisian’s future defensive coordinator has approved of these hires.

Two members of former head coach Tom Herman’s staff have confirmed via Twitter that they will return as a part of Sarkisian’s staff. Running backs coach Stan Drayton and wide receiver coach Andre Coleman will remain with the Longhorns for the 2021 season.

Let’s fill in the pieces of the puzzle below. As reports continue to surface of new hires, Longhorns Wire will update the list accordingly.

Offensive Coordinator - Kyle Flood

Mickey Welsh, Montgomery Advertiser

Although Sarkisian is intent on handling play-calling for the foreseeable future, Flood will likely hold the offensive coordinator tag as well as the offensive line coach.

Update: It’s now official.

Quarterbacks - A.J. Milwee

The Alabama offensive analyst is expected to join Sarkisian’s staff as the quarterbacks coach. He is widely known as Sarkisian’s right-hand man and will oversee the quarterback battle and development of Casey Thompson and Hudson Card.

Running backs - Stan Drayton

Stan Drayton will be retained from Tom Herman’s staff. He’s widely respected around the college football landscape, and he has a strong relationship with star running back Bijan Robinson. This was an easy move for Sarkisian.

Wide receivers - Andre Coleman

Andre Coleman will be retained from Tom Herman’s staff as the wide receivers coach. Alabama wide receivers coach Holmon Wiggins was reportedly in consideration, but Coleman has confirmed his return via social media. He landed four-star wide receiver Armani Winfield on Sarkisian’s first day in Austin.

Tight ends - Jeff Banks

This coaching search seemingly feels like a mystery up to this point. The only name linked to the position has been Alabama’s Jeff Banks, but his social media activity leans toward him remaining to Alabama.

Update: Bruce Feldman of The Athletic reported on Thursday that Banks will join Sarkisian’s staff.

Offensive Line - Kyle Flood

Outside of the defensive coordinator position, this is arguably the most important position on Sarkisian’s staff in Austin. Herb Hand struggled under Tom Herman, and the program severely needed to upgrade. Flood can recruit and develop the top offensive lineman in the country. This was a home run hire.

Defensive Coordinator - Unknown

Who Sarkisian hires as his defensive coordinator is extremely critical to Texas’ success. Chris Ash is still considered a possibility to be retained from Tom Herman’s staff, but Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett is among the candidates. Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding is still in the mix, too.

Update: Bobby Burton of Inside Texas reported on Thursday that Alabama defensive coordinator Pete Golding is considered the prime candidate for the same role at Texas, although others are still in the mix.

Defensive line - Bo Davis

Sarkisian and Davis both come from Alabama roots and Davis held the same role at Texas under head coach Mack Brown from 2011-13. While in Austin, Davis had three players record 10-plus sacks in a season. Since his departure, the Longhorns have had zero players reach that feat. He should do wonders with this young defensive line group at Texas.

Linebackers - Unknown

Coleman Hutzler was the linebackers coach under Tom Herman and has a realistic chance to be retained on Steve Sarkisian’s staff. This role will likely be solidified when a defensive coordinator is announced. Stay tuned.

Safeties - Blake Gideon

This one is a bit tricky. We know Gideon will join Sarkisian’s staff, but what will his role be? He’s currently the special teams coordinator for Mississippi and has been linked to both the safeties and special teams role by FootballScoop and Horns247.

Update: With Jeff Banks joining Sarkisian’s staff as the special teams coordinator, Gideon will likely focus on the safeties.

Cornerbacks - Terry Joseph

Notre Dame’s safeties coach Terry Joseph is expected to join Sarkisian’s staff in a similar role, although the exact job title has yet to be announced. He is an very experienced position coach at the FBS level and is highly respected as a recruiter.

Special Teams Coordinator - Jeff Banks

Bruce Feldman of The Athletic reported on Thursday that Alabama special teams coordinator and tight ends coach Jeff Banks will be joining Sarkisian’s staff. Aside from being a great coach, Banks will make a significant impact on the recruiting side.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4