Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. It’s more important to hire the right DC than hire the wrong one quickly. We have plenty of time to recover in recruiting. 

Or he and his agent just did what any one of us would do if it meant a 1.25 million pay increase per year. 

…zackly…

31 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I know we won’t be played for money for the next one, texas getting turned down for a third DC candidate, after Boom and this douche bag, would be an awful look. My guess is something happens very quickly and I’m thinking Arnett

I hope SARK doesn't rush this hire... get us a great DC 

58 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Tap the brakes. The only way we could avoid losing to Bama by 30 is if we bought half their coaching staff.

Wait, you may be on to something here. 

49 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
50 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:
I’ve already started drinking in celebration of the Lanning hire.  

Not sure how to proceed 

Do you have any absinthe?

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. 

44 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Is there anybody that fuckhead doesn't represent?

He didn’t represent me until this morning. 

I hope SARK doesn't rush this hire... get us a great DC 
This. I don't give a fuck if it goes past nsd2. We know the offense works. Let's make sure the defense does to. Don't Stroman this up at the last second after a really strong hiring spree up to this point.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

It’s not CDC who is giving him his information.

This is what I began thinking as some of his reports started coming out earlier this month. Many reports were close to, but not, 100% accurate; there were minor discrepancies that I thought personally made them come off as second-hand instead of from a direct line to CDC. Interesting to see this is actually the case, as I was just guessing before, but not surprising. It's Chip Brown. Clearly he's not BIG TIME connected.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

It has been assumed CDC is FCB’s source so if that is not the case, who is his source? Whoever it is so far appears to know what the fuck he/she is talking about. 

There's more people in and out of that building with CDC (and now, Sark) than one might think. While those two certainly make the calls, they wouldn't necessarily be the only individuals hearing or seeing the calls being made. My current theory is an individual who assists CDC with his daily routine is feeding FCB overheard conversations or names passing by on emails/papers, but I'm not in the know enough to actually have any ideas of how plausible that really is.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Wouldn't the new DC wanna bring a few of "his" guys with him?

Very few DCs get to pick their entire staff. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we’re leaving an extra spot open. A lot of DCs get one guy they want to bring with them, ie Ash/Valai, Odom/the DBs coach whose name I forget, Golding/Scott, etc. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Throwing shit against the wall at its finest 

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Again, seems to me the only ones not in a rush to hire a DC are the ones responsible for hiring a DC.

This is me “throwing shit against the wall”....Maybe the next DC’s team is still playing...in the NFL???

Im probably/ No make that very likely way the fuck off base...but again just throwing shit against the wall...

3 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

This is me “throwing shit against the wall”....Maybe the next DC’s team is still playing...in the NFL???

Im probably/ No make that very likely way the fuck off base...but again just throwing shit against the wall...

I hear ya. The hire will happen, then after the first salvo of WTF posts errybody will be on board with support data as to why we knocked it out of the park, 3D+ chess, etc. However, based on the direction thus far, I am encouraged that it could be a hire that justifies copious amounts of Kool-Aid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

He was promoted from LB to DC after the 2018 season, so doesn't seem like the Sugar Bowl harmed him.

Haha! So the Sugar Bowl was a good thing for him. 
Glad we could get him a promotion.

Edited by Wishbone

FBTCB Non-update Update

Spoiler

We didn't want to post anything on the candidacy of Georgia's Dan Lanning to become the defensive coordinator at Texas until we got a few things fleshed out related to what we had reported previously involving Alabama's Pete Golding

We reported in the Insider Thursday Golding was definitely a target of Steve Sarkisian to be the defensive coordinator at Texas. We also reported Golding has a $1.8 million buyout and that Alabama coach Nick Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, wasn't happy about Sarkisian hiring Bama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks in addition to the Crimson Tide's offensive line coach Kyle Flood (not to mention Bama analyst A.J. Milwee as quarterbacks coach).

On Friday, a source close to the situation told Horns247 Saban wasn't OK with Golding leaving, causing Sarkisian to shift his focus to Lanning, who coached outside linebackers at Georgia in 2018 before taking over the Bulldogs' defense in 2019, when Georgia led FBS in points allowed per game (12.6) and run defense (74.6 yards per game).

This season, Georgia's defense gave up 20.0 points per game (13th in FBS) but continued to lead FBS against the run (giving up just 72.3 yards per game).

We heard Sarkisian did indeed have conversations with Lanning on Friday, but on Friday night Lanning indicated on social media he's staying at Georgia. Rusty Mansell of Dawgs247 reported Friday night Lanning turned down an offer from Texas.

We've reported Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett as a candidate as well as Chris Ash, who served as Texas' defensive coordinator in 2020, although we've heard Arnett has been unimpressive in other job interviews, and Ash is likely to have a place on Urban Meyer's staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars if Ash wants it. Ash turned down the defensive coordinator job at Illinois under Bret Bielema, who had Ash as his defensive coordinator at Wisconsin and Arkansas, a source told Horns247.

We're told Sarkisian has been in touch with Tosh Lupoi, who served on Sarkisian's staff in Washington (before going to Alabama and then to the NFL as a defensive line coach the past two seasons in Cleveland and this past season in Atlanta under Dan Quinn). We reported in the Insider Thursday Quinn, who is now the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, has offered Lupoi the defensive line coach job in Dallas.

According to a source close to the situation, Lupoi would want to be a defensive coordinator if he was to return to college football.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com reported Friday Sarkisian has talked to Arkansas defensive coordinator Barry Odom.

Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dummy said:

FBTCB Non-update Update

Reveal hidden contents

We didn't want to post anything on the candidacy of Georgia's Dan Lanning to become the defensive coordinator at Texas until we got a few things fleshed out related to what we had reported previously involving Alabama's Pete Golding

We reported in the Insider Thursday Golding was definitely a target of Steve Sarkisian to be the defensive coordinator at Texas. We also reported Golding has a $1.8 million buyout and that Alabama coach Nick Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, wasn't happy about Sarkisian hiring Bama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks in addition to the Crimson Tide's offensive line coach Kyle Flood (not to mention Bama analyst A.J. Milwee as quarterbacks coach).

On Friday, a source close to the situation told Horns247 Saban wasn't OK with Golding leaving, causing Sarkisian to shift his focus to Lanning, who coached outside linebackers at Georgia in 2018 before taking over the Bulldogs' defense in 2019, when Georgia led FBS in points allowed per game (12.6) and run defense (74.6 yards per game).

This season, Georgia's defense gave up 20.0 points per game (13th in FBS) but continued to lead FBS against the run (giving up just 72.3 yards per game).

We heard Sarkisian did indeed have conversations with Lanning on Friday, but on Friday night Lanning indicated on social media he's staying at Georgia. Rusty Mansell of Dawgs247 reported Friday night Lanning turned down an offer from Texas.

We've reported Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett as a candidate as well as Chris Ash, who served as Texas' defensive coordinator in 2020, although we've heard Arnett has been unimpressive in other job interviews, and Ash is likely to have a place on Urban Meyer's staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars if Ash wants it. Ash turned down the defensive coordinator job at Illinois under Bret Bielema, who had Ash as his defensive coordinator at Wisconsin and Arkansas, a source told Horns247.

We're told Sarkisian has been in touch with Tosh Lupoi, who served on Sarkisian's staff in Washington (before going to Alabama and then to the NFL as a defensive line coach the past two seasons in Cleveland and this past season in Atlanta under Dan Quinn). We reported in the Insider Thursday Quinn, who is now the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, has offered Lupoi the defensive line coach job in Dallas.

According to a source close to the situation, Lupoi would want to be a defensive coordinator if he was to return to college football.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com reported Friday Sarkisian has talked to Arkansas defensive coordinator Barry Odom.

Stay tuned.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Dummy said:

FBTCB Non-update Update

Hide contents

Stay tuned.

The "Quinn has offered Lupoi the DL job in Dallas" is, at least, actually an update we haven't heard before. 

Only realistic scenario for Lupoi to end up at Texas involved every notable college gig refusing him primary DC duties (which is actually likely to happen) and then no good NFL openings being out there so that his best landing spot would be Co-DC / non-playcaller at Texas. If that Dallas DL coach gig is real, working under a guy he was already working for in Quinn...   Lupoi talk to Texas can probably die for good. 

53 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

This is what I began thinking as some of his reports started coming out earlier this month. Many reports were close to, but not, 100% accurate; there were minor discrepancies that I thought personally made them come off as second-hand instead of from a direct line to CDC. Interesting to see this is actually the case, as I was just guessing before, but not surprising. It's Chip Brown. Clearly he's not BIG TIME connected.

There's more people in and out of that building with CDC (and now, Sark) than one might think. While those two certainly make the calls, they wouldn't necessarily be the only individuals hearing or seeing the calls being made. My current theory is an individual who assists CDC with his daily routine is feeding FCB overheard conversations or names passing by on emails/papers, but I'm not in the know enough to actually have any ideas of how plausible that really is.

Bianco maybe?

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

I'm curious why these guys feel the need to publicly declare who they turned down.  Ego and projection of relevance.

me: Boss, got a 2x offer from competitor.
Boss (option 1): pack your bags and fuck off.
Boss (option 2): we'll match.

If option 2 is chosen, boss and I don't skip down the halls declaring he just doubled my salary.  We'd both be universally hated.

I guess I am about to answer my own question - they announce this shit so that (1) coach's ego can be stroked and (2) program's ego can be stroked (3) BMDs ego can be stroked.

Agent just got you huge raise and you must thank him by getting him more business.