Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Super K on Lanning

Spoiler

So in the past few hours some Georgia publications reported that Texas offered Dan Lanning only to then report, shortly thereafter, that Lanning had turned Texas down.

I cannot say with certainty that the reports are inaccurate and that no offer was made. But I will say they don’t pass the smell test.

***Coach Sark has spoken to a number of defensive coordinators and we know, for example, a guy like Arnett would jump at the chance to coach at Texas. And again, we have been told by multiple people that Pruitt may be a possibility. And we reported earlier in the week that Golding was possibly the top candidate. Meanwhile, Lanning has been sitting there all this time and no interest was shown.

Then, suddenly on a Friday afternoon Lanning goes from being a guy who Sark may have interest in to a guy who Sark has offered to a guy who turned down Sark?

This sounds a lot like the Odom deal. Reports made it seem like Odom had been offered but I spoke to someone about as close as you can get to Odom who said if offered Odom would’ve taken the job. In other words Odom was never offered the job.

This situation sounds the same. It sounds like either someone did a good job of getting Lanning a raise or someone did a good job of offering Georgia some recruiting ammunition against Sark, Bo Davis, Jeff Banks and company when they inevitably venture into SEC territory to do some recruiting and actual offering of their own.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Xian said:

But who called the plays?  Wouldn’t they just be the actual DC?  

I read something where Neal Brown said DL coach called front end of plays and DB coaches called coverage. I'm not sure how that works but it worked for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Lanning

Hide contents

So in the past few hours some Georgia publications reported that Texas offered Dan Lanning only to then report, shortly thereafter, that Lanning had turned Texas down.

I cannot say with certainty that the reports are inaccurate and that no offer was made. But I will say they don’t pass the smell test.

***Coach Sark has spoken to a number of defensive coordinators and we know, for example, a guy like Arnett would jump at the chance to coach at Texas. And again, we have been told by multiple people that Pruitt may be a possibility. And we reported earlier in the week that Golding was possibly the top candidate. Meanwhile, Lanning has been sitting there all this time and no interest was shown.

Then, suddenly on a Friday afternoon Lanning goes from being a guy who Sark may have interest in to a guy who Sark has offered to a guy who turned down Sark?

This sounds a lot like the Odom deal. Reports made it seem like Odom had been offered but I spoke to someone about as close as you can get to Odom who said if offered Odom would’ve taken the job. In other words Odom was never offered the job.

This situation sounds the same. It sounds like either someone did a good job of getting Lanning a raise or someone did a good job of offering Georgia some recruiting ammunition against Sark, Bo Davis, Jeff Banks and company when they inevitably venture into SEC territory to do some recruiting and actual offering of their own.

Sexton

• Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Dummy said:

FBTCB Non-update Update

Hide contents

We didn't want to post anything on the candidacy of Georgia's Dan Lanning to become the defensive coordinator at Texas until we got a few things fleshed out related to what we had reported previously involving Alabama's Pete Golding

We reported in the Insider Thursday Golding was definitely a target of Steve Sarkisian to be the defensive coordinator at Texas. We also reported Golding has a $1.8 million buyout and that Alabama coach Nick Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, wasn't happy about Sarkisian hiring Bama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks in addition to the Crimson Tide's offensive line coach Kyle Flood (not to mention Bama analyst A.J. Milwee as quarterbacks coach).

On Friday, a source close to the situation told Horns247 Saban wasn't OK with Golding leaving, causing Sarkisian to shift his focus to Lanning, who coached outside linebackers at Georgia in 2018 before taking over the Bulldogs' defense in 2019, when Georgia led FBS in points allowed per game (12.6) and run defense (74.6 yards per game).

This season, Georgia's defense gave up 20.0 points per game (13th in FBS) but continued to lead FBS against the run (giving up just 72.3 yards per game).

We heard Sarkisian did indeed have conversations with Lanning on Friday, but on Friday night Lanning indicated on social media he's staying at Georgia. Rusty Mansell of Dawgs247 reported Friday night Lanning turned down an offer from Texas.

We've reported Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett as a candidate as well as Chris Ash, who served as Texas' defensive coordinator in 2020, although we've heard Arnett has been unimpressive in other job interviews, and Ash is likely to have a place on Urban Meyer's staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars if Ash wants it. Ash turned down the defensive coordinator job at Illinois under Bret Bielema, who had Ash as his defensive coordinator at Wisconsin and Arkansas, a source told Horns247.

We're told Sarkisian has been in touch with Tosh Lupoi, who served on Sarkisian's staff in Washington (before going to Alabama and then to the NFL as a defensive line coach the past two seasons in Cleveland and this past season in Atlanta under Dan Quinn). We reported in the Insider Thursday Quinn, who is now the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, has offered Lupoi the defensive line coach job in Dallas.

According to a source close to the situation, Lupoi would want to be a defensive coordinator if he was to return to college football.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com reported Friday Sarkisian has talked to Arkansas defensive coordinator Barry Odom.

Stay tuned.

FCB just hedging his bets. Someone is feeding him BS to weed out the rat. 

58 minutes ago, Dummy said:

FBTCB Non-update Update

Reveal hidden contents

We didn't want to post anything on the candidacy of Georgia's Dan Lanning to become the defensive coordinator at Texas until we got a few things fleshed out related to what we had reported previously involving Alabama's Pete Golding

We reported in the Insider Thursday Golding was definitely a target of Steve Sarkisian to be the defensive coordinator at Texas. We also reported Golding has a $1.8 million buyout and that Alabama coach Nick Saban, who helped recommend Sarkisian for the Texas job, wasn't happy about Sarkisian hiring Bama tight ends coach and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks in addition to the Crimson Tide's offensive line coach Kyle Flood (not to mention Bama analyst A.J. Milwee as quarterbacks coach).

On Friday, a source close to the situation told Horns247 Saban wasn't OK with Golding leaving, causing Sarkisian to shift his focus to Lanning, who coached outside linebackers at Georgia in 2018 before taking over the Bulldogs' defense in 2019, when Georgia led FBS in points allowed per game (12.6) and run defense (74.6 yards per game).

This season, Georgia's defense gave up 20.0 points per game (13th in FBS) but continued to lead FBS against the run (giving up just 72.3 yards per game).

We heard Sarkisian did indeed have conversations with Lanning on Friday, but on Friday night Lanning indicated on social media he's staying at Georgia. Rusty Mansell of Dawgs247 reported Friday night Lanning turned down an offer from Texas.

We've reported Mississippi State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett as a candidate as well as Chris Ash, who served as Texas' defensive coordinator in 2020, although we've heard Arnett has been unimpressive in other job interviews, and Ash is likely to have a place on Urban Meyer's staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars if Ash wants it. Ash turned down the defensive coordinator job at Illinois under Bret Bielema, who had Ash as his defensive coordinator at Wisconsin and Arkansas, a source told Horns247.

We're told Sarkisian has been in touch with Tosh Lupoi, who served on Sarkisian's staff in Washington (before going to Alabama and then to the NFL as a defensive line coach the past two seasons in Cleveland and this past season in Atlanta under Dan Quinn). We reported in the Insider Thursday Quinn, who is now the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys, has offered Lupoi the defensive line coach job in Dallas.

According to a source close to the situation, Lupoi would want to be a defensive coordinator if he was to return to college football.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com reported Friday Sarkisian has talked to Arkansas defensive coordinator Barry Odom.

Stay tuned.

It's hard for me to take this seriously when he states Sarkisian took Milwee from Alabama, when Milwee had already left Alabama for the Arkansas State job. Which happened before Sarkisian was even named HC at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I read something where Neal Brown said DL coach called front end of plays and DB coaches called coverage. I'm not sure how that works but it worked for them.

Sounds like the bullshit Duane Akina pulled on Manny Diaz. Fuck whatever the front seven are doing, my cornerbacks are going to do what I tell them to do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

She's a stripper, not a whore.  

In my distant past I came to know many strippers. All of them enjoyed giving it away and I took full advantage whenever possible. The only places I witnessed them selling it was in Vegas. Those are straight up whores.

Edited by Longhornlove

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Lanning

Hide contents

Still sucks Sark didn’t offer Odom. He’s probably the best DC of the bunch. 

56 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

You’re emphasizing results over process. They didn’t plan this. Their DC got fired shortly before the season and they had good personnel this year. 

19 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Still wild that we haven’t heard anything leading us to a single candidate yet...still feel like it’s Arnett because who the fuck else could it be logically

Seems like it has to be. We already cucked the fuck out of Ash. Can’t be him. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Lanning

Hide contents

duh. of course its bullshit.  pretty funny that Georgia has to use us to get some publicity.  no one gives a shit about Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1