Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Why do we need 2 LB coaches when we are only gonna have 2 of them on the field most of the time? 

well the ends are technically OLBs in the 2-4-5. so I guess you can call whoever's coaching OLBs the "DE" coach for purposes of comparison

• Hook 'Em 2

Not that I’m seriously entertaining the idea of Gideon coaching something other than dbs and special teams, but do we really know which positions he can coach effectively?  With his dad being a hs head coach and his supposed knowledge of the game maybe he already has the ability to coach several position groups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Why do we need 2 LB coaches when we are only gonna have 2 of them on the field most of the time?  

Coach K- DC/LB

Bo Davis-DL

Retain Giles at his current salary to help with the DL  as an analyst or whatever the fuck he would like to be called

Joseph-Safeties

Raymond-CB/AHC

Gideon-ST/asst. DB coach

Coach K runs a 2-4-5, not 4-2-5. Two hybrid OLBs, two ILBs. The reason ILB/OLB difference matters is that his scheme requires the OLBs to handle various responsibilities (similar to how Ossai did in his Jack role - actually there is a Jack in K's system too), while ILBs are also expected to manage a myriad of responsibilities including sealing the edge/snuffing runs in scenarios where the OLB's are covering the flats (on top of traditional responsibilities). Basically you need your linebackers to be pretty coached up.

This video @LTtxfan posted details it pretty well:

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, bar said:

Could you fill in the gap by hiring an analyst to effectively coach ILB or CB?

People said good things about the analyst Jeremiah George when he was an interim coach post-Orlando, pre-Ash, but you want someone with some on-field experience if at all possible.

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

I see a bunch of abbreviations, acronyms, weird MS paint drawings - what the hell is going on? Did we hire someone? Do I book my hotel & flights for the CFB Playoff next year or what? 

This past year was so disappointing because it was the first year you could tell we had the talent to win the Big 12 and maybe even make a run to the CFP. Now we have some questions in the experience and talent department but for the first time with Sark at OC and PK at DC it does not feel like we have a coaching deficit. Hope Sark has a feel for game time clock management and in game situational decisions. It has been a few years since he has had to make those type decisions on his own in big time games since I expect to win big time games now.

Edited by DanTheHorn

9 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Coach K runs a 2-4-5, not 4-2-5. Two hybrid OLBs, two ILBs. The reason ILB/OLB difference matters is that his scheme requires the OLBs to handle various responsibilities (similar to how Ossai did in his Jack role - actually there is a Jack in K's system too), while ILBs are also expected to manage a myriad of responsibilities including sealing the edge/snuffing runs in scenarios where the OLB's are covering the flats (on top of traditional responsibilities). Basically you need your linebackers to be pretty coached up.

This video @LTtxfan posted details it pretty well:

Any idea how this fits with the current personnel? Is Collins suited to be one of the two down-linemen or would you want both guys to be huge space eater types (Coburn & Sweat)? Or will he play outside LB in this scheme? Sealing the edge/playing the run certainly wouldn't be an issue for him from there but he may struggle to rush the passer from that spot and you obviously wouldn't want to give him coverage responsibilities. 

Edited by UncleSonny

I know there's a lot of doubt about pac12 football these days and the quality of teams he's faced, so I keep going back to the alabama game as a good measuring stick.

Keep in mind that alabama would have a massive talent disparity in this game. I'm not going to look up the difference in recruiting rankings in the years leading up to the matchup, but I'll make an educated guess and say the gap is "large."

Then factor in that UW's offense was completely shut down outside of one drive. It was complete domination by the bama defense, with three turnovers by the uw offense and three and outs nearly all game.

With all of that factored in, you can blame uw's defense for 14 points. One real drive surrendered early in the game, and one 60+ yard run given up when they couldn't hang with bama's depth in the 4th. The other 10 points were off of a pick 6 and a field goal on a short field/fumble.

Yes, that was not the alabama offense of 2019-2020 and they probably knew they didn't need to get risky given how their defense was playing, but it is still an impressive outing no matter how you rationalize it.

Check out the drive summaries here to get a feel for the game, and then look at the normal offensive output for bama in 2016 to normalize the performance a bit: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400876107

All this is on top of how he's regularly shut down the best spread offenses in the pac12, which I'd argue are not as bad as people like to say.

I love this hire.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Mitchell don't nee no coach

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

200w.gif 

Bring out all the classic GIFs on this one. I was in the keep Ash camp if it was not Mushchamp or Odom and was very much against Golding. KwiatKowski surpasses Mushchamp and Odom after you see how many guys he puts into the NFL and the way he talks about fundamentals. Also, the respect fans and opposing fans have for the guy. So yet another classic GIF in welcoming PK.

2f4399f235b0d8ecde6c7385967d88f5.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Coach K- DC/LB

Bo Davis-DL

Retain Giles at his current salary to help with the DL  as an analyst or whatever the fuck he would like to be called

Joseph-Safeties

Raymond-CB/AHC

Gideon-ST/asst. DB coach

I think the thinking is that we will have only two or three true DL and 3-4 LB on the field most of the time. DEs in a 4-3 are essentially replaced by OLB in modern defenses. Coach K has been known to run 2-4-5 packages, so there’s a need for OLB and ILB coaches. Just look at the OLB coach as a DE coach. 

7 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I know there's a lot of doubt about pac12 football these days and the quality of teams he's faced, so I keep going back to the alabama game as a good measuring stick.

Keep in mind that alabama would have a massive talent disparity in this game. I'm not going to look up the difference in recruiting rankings in the years leading up to the matchup, but I'll make an educated guess and say the gap is "large."

Then factor in that UW's offense was completely shut down outside of one drive. It was complete domination by the bama defense, with three turnovers by the uw offense and three and outs nearly all game.

With all of that factored in, you can blame uw's defense for 14 points. One real drive surrendered early in the game, and one 60+ yard run given up when they couldn't hang with bama's depth in the 4th. The other 10 points were off of a pick 6 and a field goal on a short field/fumble.

Yes, that was not the alabama offense of 2019-2020 and they probably knew they didn't need to get risky given how their defense was playing, but it is still an impressive outing no matter how you rationalize it.

Check out the drive summaries here to get a feel for the game, and then look at the normal offensive output for bama in 2016 to normalize the performance a bit: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400876107

All this is on top of how he's regularly shut down the best spread offenses in the pac12, which I'd argue are not as bad as people like to say.

I love this hire.

Maybe Alabama’s OC for that game is subpar. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Zach Arnett today:

Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

Haha, pour one out for Arnett today. Dude thought he had positioned himself as the subject of a bidding war between Texas, Notre Dame, LSU, and Oregon. Carousel spins around and he ends up without an offer from any of them. First team meeting back at MSU may be a bit awkward after publicly taking all those interviews.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Any idea how this fits with the current personnel? Is Collins suited to be one of the two down-linemen or would you want both guys to be huge space eater types (Coburn & Sweat)? Or will he play outside LB in this scheme? Sealing the edge/playing the run certainly wouldn't be an issue for him from there but he may struggle to rush the passer from that spot and you obviously wouldn't want to give him coverage responsibilities. 

We need more pass rushing OLB/DE types. Collins can play inside if he needs to. He has tons of room on his frame for growth. We definitely have more beef than we’ll need end not enough speed on the edges. Collins is pretty athletic, but I don’t know if he’s built to handle the OLB duties. 

Of course, there’s always the possibility that K is flexible enough to maximize the talent he has. I’d assume Sark vetted that. You always want to coach to your talent. Right now, we have lots of talent up front and very little at LB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe Alabama’s OC for that game is subpar. 
[Corso] not so fast my friend[/Corso]

Sark was elevated I believe 3 days after this game when Kiffin left.

Sark would've been an analyst for the game and undoubtedly remembers preparing for this defense (a good sign), but a few days shy of being oc against him.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Haha, pour one out for Arnett today. Dude thought he had positioned himself as the subject of a bidding war between Texas, Notre Dame, LSU, and Oregon. Carousel spins around and he ends up without an offer from any of them. First team meeting back at MSU may be a bit awkward after publicly taking all those interviews.

UW is the job he really wanted all along. All those Washington stories by Leach just have him infatuated.

Worked with a guy who played at UW.  He actually played in Major’s last game in the Holiday Bowl.  I asked him about Coach K. Here is his response:

“Yeah I mean obviously we aren’t happy. The guy is an absolute pro and a stud and our d was number one in the pac for the last 5 years. With that said.... sometimes it felt like we couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down or stop the run to a frustrating degree.  Y'all will like him in the Big 12.”

If we want to get Raymond then we need to cheer for LSU to hire Golding who would bring Scott along with him. 
I think it's all but guaranteed to be the saints coordinator, right?

Still turnover, so there's a chance, but given he's coming from the nfl he'd probably like to keep their best recruiters around if he can.

Worked with a guy who played at UW.  He actually played in Major’s last game in the Holiday Bowl.  I asked him about Coach K. Here is his response:
“Yeah I mean obviously we aren’t happy. The guy is an absolute pro and a stud and our d was number one in the pac for the last 5 years. With that said.... sometimes it felt like we couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down or stop the run to a frustrating degree.  Y'all will like him in the Big 12.”
Interesting that those themes haven't shown up anywhere else from uw fans. Not doubting your buddy, that just hasn't been a common complaint that I've seen so far.

That said, I bet if you ask any fanbase what frustrates them most about their dc, you probably get some flavor of this answer. No matter how good you are at those areas, the fans probably always want them to be better. It's the defensive equivalent of wanting the offense to run the touchdown play.
  • Hook 'Em 3