Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

I got electrocuted in the Littlefield fountain in 1999 after the Nebraska game. I was trying to climb one of the horsies when I started to feel the current. Barely made it out. Several others ended up in the hospital.

In 1981 I was sitting by Littlefield Fountain eating a Saigon Eggroll (50 cents- delicious , but probably cat meat) and Fountain Dog, a retriever who  went after any object thrown in to the Fountain regardless of the water temperature, shook off his water right behind me.....so that story hits close to home. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

They were really pissed in Lincoln after the 2010 game. They absolutely knew they were getting revenge for the 2009 Big 12 Championship. They had shirts made and everything and then we shit in the middle of their picnic. It was awesome. 

Also, fuck nebraska

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

I was there in 2006. Driving sleet and fog. It was amazing.

But, I believe 2010 was my favorite trip to Lincoln. They were ready to eat us alive and Garrett Gilbert had his finest hour as a Longhorn and we dominated them with what was likely the worst team Mack Brown took to Lincoln.

Dumbass Mack tried to lose the game with the pooch punt in the 4th Q after we controlled the whole game. 
spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

To help all of surl understand the new rules, how would they have been applied to Tom Herman?  When could the "Fire Tom Herman" thread start?

• Warehime hired
  • After he uncomfortably hugs Mack Brown at intro press conference
  • After intro press conference
  • Warehime clogs toilet and swears like a sailor on at Walker Little's house
  • Admission that he watched zero film of players
  • Runny eggs and burnt toast
  • Halftime of Maryland Game (down 30-14)
  • End of Maryland game (0-1 meets less than 50% criterion)
  • Other? 

No need to whine. Let aggy do stupid traditions. The Fire _______ threads are like the Whisper Chant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Yes. We really are 95% responsible for breaking Nebraska football and their fans forever. Remember the “classiest” fans in football that applauded us when we ended their home winning streak in 1998? Well by 2006 they were well on their way to losing their minds and eventually quitting the conference to languish at the bottom of the Big 10 forever. Turns out it is easy to be a “classy” fanbase when you are winning all the time.

i wonder if they hate us more than ou now

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

To help all of surl understand the new rules, how would they have been applied to Tom Herman?  When could the "Fire Tom Herman" thread start?

• Warehime hired
  • Other? 

i started one after tim beck

sark has no tim beck-equivalent hire

4 hours ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I don't want him anywhere near the program. He was joined with Sark at the hip during the worst of his antics and so far at least we have managed to create a staff that is free of old Sark associates / enablers from his black out drunk days. Nansen is a good coach, fits our need at ILB, solid recruiter..  all that resume shit fits...  but why take the risk? Too many good options there that do not have a shared history of enabling / covering for Sark when he was at his absolute worst. 

The more I read about Nansen the less there is to like. USC fans did not like him while he was there - initially he coached special teams but wasn't great at it, later they shifted him to LB. 2017 went well but in 2018 and 2019 USC's defense fell off and substandard LB play apparently was one of the issues. His main value add is as a strong recruiter (especially poly).

Hopefully Kwiatkowski brings his own guy 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The more I read about Nansen the less there is to like. USC fans did not like him while he was there - initially he coached special teams but wasn't great at it, later they shifted him to LB. 2017 went well but in 2018 and 2019 USC's defense fell off and substandard LB play apparently was one of the issues. His main value add is as a strong recruiter (especially poly).

Hopefully Kwiatkowski brings his own guy 

He's a plus recruiter and has connections in California. Only Satya could hype a coach and the moment he might be an option at Texas he all of sudden sucks. 

"USC's LB coach John Nansen  is supposedly a beast on the recruiting trail. He was PAC-12 Recruiter of the Year last cycle."

• Haha 4

• Warehime hired
  • Other? 

* Hired Casey Horny
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

For shits, who could you have desired more than our current staff so far. Generally with Herman and Strong we were looking at what might have been. This staff fucks.

HC - Sark // I mean I guess I could've gone Urban here, but the more I absorb and watch how he works and speaks, this guy feels like a fantastic fit. We keep him off the sauce, we have a winner imo.

OC/Oline - Flood // When folks started chattering about the potential of pulling the Alabama Oline I felt like I was going to get betrayed. I couldn't give you another name I'd prefer with Sark on the staff.

QB coach - A.J. Milwee - Looks like some sorta wunderkind that Sark uses as his second hand man. This happened so quickly I don't know who elese I'd throw here. Granted this is a huge coach next season with a bit of an unknown at the position outside of his stellar bowl game. Granted I'm sure Sark will have his hands all over this.

WR coach - Coleman - This felt like a continuity decision. He isn't bad, much better than his predecessor. I guess this could be the weakest decision of the bunch, but by no means do I consider it a miss.  Wiggins and Colbert were intriguing.

RB coach - Drayton - Made sense with the need to hold onto Bijan in the craziness of the portal.

TE coach - Banks - Solid, we all know why he joined the staff. Feels a bit dirty but at this point I'm ready to win.

DC coach - Pete Kwiatkowski - The more I read on this guy the more I'm sold on Sark as the HC. Not only did he get a filthy DC, he managed to keep it under wraps until the 24th hour. I don't mind getting tid bits from the assholes running the 9.95 sites, but it is so refreshing to have all of them in the dark prior to signing one of the best DCs in the game. I was all aboard the Muschamp train, and Arnett was certainly an entertaining option. PK looks like a fucking stud.

Dline coach - Bo Davis - Happened fast and the only other name mentioned that raised my ears was Tosh, more obviously for his recruiting. Bo is a stud and it's nice to have him back in the fold.

LB coach - TBD

CB coach - Terry Joseph - Another hire that happened quickly as we watched the 9.95ers have their pants down. Like the hire, maybe one of the "weaker" ones, but I can't complain about taking the secondary coach of ND who does a good job of recruiting Texas. Sark again not only hiring a competent coach but in doing so they take away a recruiter of Texas from a top notch school. The Cory Raymond rumor will echo if this one doesn't pan out, but if this and keeping Coleman is the worst decision, I'm on board. Also, anyone who suggested Akina here needs to be flogged.

Saftey/ST coach - Gideon - No matter how much shit we give him for his drop interception and his infatuation with All-American Slam, the guy just works hard. My Ole Miss buddy stated they were sad to see him go. Another trend with the hires we see here. The team that lost the coach was sad to see them go (See Herb Hand for the opposite). I see the guy coming in and filling out the necessary holes in the staff.

We have had all sorts of dog shit position coach decisions over the past 11 years. This feels good.

I am also disappointed Raymond didn't pan out but if for some reason Joseph really sucks after a couple of years, LSU will probably be going through a regime change around the same time anyways so we can re-engage with Raymond then

Edited by Dijon Robinson

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's a plus recruiter and has connections in California. Only Satya could hype a coach and the moment he might be an option at Texas he all of sudden sucks. 

"USC's LB coach John Nansen  is supposedly a beast on the recruiting trail. He was PAC-12 Recruiter of the Year last cycle."

You petty gravediggers scare me sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

They were really pissed in Lincoln after the 2010 game. They absolutely knew they were getting revenge for the 2009 Big 12 Championship. They had shirts made and everything and then we shit in the middle of their picnic. It was awesome. 

The fans were ready for a fight. Literally. The team, not so much. There was a bar in downtown Lincoln, I believe it was Sandy's. Our first trip there I got thrown out for reaching behind the bar to grab a bar towel. Every trip to Lincoln afterwards we went to Sandy's and for good luck I would do something to get thrown out. By 2010, I was just walking up to the bouncer and asking him to toss me a la Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers".

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Knewk210 said:

No I'm not drunk yet. I remember going to a Nebraska game in Austin 1999. Nebraska was like #3 in the nation we upset them at that game.  a key play was a fumble at our goal line that turned the game.  

The loudest experience I ever had at DKR. Hampton and Rogers just buttfucked their alleged All American C and the rest of the OL all day. Had a Nebraska fan shittalking me and my friends the entire game loudly until it was obvious they were going to lose. He then takes off his t-shirt to reveal an aggie shirt underneath and proceeds to “brag” that he was trolling us the whole time and just was there to watch us lose. We heckled him out of the section. 

8 hours ago, Dijon Robinson said:

He was a good recruiter. Ash managed the entire secondary so if your qualm with him relates to the on-field product you're misguided. Just because an upgrade was possible doesn't mean Valai wasn't a fine hire.

This is incorrect and a terrible take for which you should be ashamed. Valai was a fucking pathetic hire. There isn’t a defense for it.  No logic or justification works, at all, ever. You know why? Because there was always a better choice. There were better recruiters to be hired, better coaches, whatever and the notion that “it let Ash focus on the secondary” is so ham-handedly logic-free that it isn’t worth the deconstruction. 

Note: this isn’t an invitation for debate. Your position was so terrible it demanded a response, but a bandwidth-shitting sad debate tied to the complete lack of merit for the Jai Valai hire will lead next not to a response but pure and ongoing negging, solid new handle name or not. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

What’s the distance? 40, 100, 200, quarter... Maybe a beer mile? 

My sweet spot is between 40 and 100 yards. Anything shorter than that and I won’t have time to mentally overcome multiple immediately pulled muscles. Anything longer than that and an ambulance on site with EMTs likely won’t be enough to save me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, TexasEx said:

On recruiting he said it was very important to hire coaches that have recruited this stare. He said that the high school coaches in the state are great and have a lot more influence over the kids decisions and it is important to have relationships with the coaches in the state. Someone asked about balancing recruiting in Texas vs out of state. He said, Texas will be the focus, but UT has the brand to go out of state to pick up someone like Bijan Robinson. Thus they will look to pick up some kids out of state also. However they need to really make Texas a priority.

Coaches on staff so far with at least a decent amount of experience recruiting Texas

Banks

Davis

Joseph

Drayton

Coleman

Gideon

Flood

Kwiatowski 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, El Squared said:

In 1981 I was sitting by Littlefield Fountain eating a Saigon Eggroll (50 cents- delicious , but probably cat meat) and Fountain Dog, a retriever who  went after any object thrown in to the Fountain regardless of the water temperature, shook off his water right behind me.....so that story hits close to home. 

“In 1981 I was sitting in the yellow rose eating a $2 buffet ( delicious , but probably cat meat) and Fountain Dog, a dancer who  went after any object thrown in to the Stage regardless of the room temperature, shook off her water right behind me.....so that story hits close to home. “

Ahhhhh.

The memories.

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, Modessit said:

I've mentioned it before, but it's my fault for our 2010 record.

I have a cousin in Nebraska who used to run or moderate a big Husker fan board or FB group. Like 25-50k members. Not sure if he still does or what the name was because he's blocked me on FB.

Anyway, in 2010 we were 3-2 coming off two straight losses and Nebraska was 5-0 and ranked #5. This cousin and his brother (who went to ISU but is everything Big Red on FB) were giving me tons of shit. I didn't say much because we were sucking. After one such barrage I said out loud where anyone could hear me: "God, I don't care if we lose every other game this season as long as we can somehow beat Nebraska this weekend."

And we beat Nebraska. And then lost every other game except FIU.

And neither of my cousins said a word. Never posted anything about the game. You'd think it never happened.

Btw: My cousin blocked me on FB after he posted something to Nebraska fans about "What is something you always hear at Memorial Stadium?" and I answered, "Texas wins!" amongst all of his followers.

Pretty sure the rest of the season was due to Matt Millen saying "Texas will not lose another game this season" as the broadcast was ending 

Washington's LB coach and guy who Coach K (have we decided what we're calling him on Texas boards yet?) brought with him from Boise State to Washington, Bob Gregory, makes a lot of sense as the final hire from Wikipedia research; he has a ton of LB experience with some DC time sprinkled in, so presumably he should be a great teacher and even help with scheming and system implementation. 

But if you browse Washington boards, they almost universally hate the guy, even as just a position coach. I'm not sure if he's a fanbase scapegoat or if he actually does suck, but it does raise at least a small sense of alarm for me. 

There does seem to be a small chance that he gets promoted to DC anyway though. 

Considering Nansen seems to be the west coast version of Mike Stoops, hopefully Sark does the wise choice and passes on hiring his old wing man. 

• Hook 'Em 2

SIAP....Bobby this AM

All gas, no brakes, indeed.

The news these days is coming so fast and furious that it’s hard to keep up.

Here’s a quick summary of yesterday alone:

- Long-time Washington and Boise State defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski will be Steve Sarkisian’s first DC at Texas. If you haven’t read any of the articles from Inside Texas on Kwiatkowski’s style of D and his results, make sure you do so. Lots of good stuff in there.

- Texas recruiting is off and running. The Horns DL coach Bo Davis offered two 2021 defensive line prospects yesterday. Mansfield Legacy DE David Abiara and Tyler Legacy DE Garfield Lawrence. Both could wind up becoming Horns on the first Wednesday in February. IT’s Justin Wells made his way to Tyler to speak with Lawrence yesterday.

- Of course, there’s more recruiting going on than just that. New OL coach Kyle Flood issued a slew of offers to 2022 blue chip offensive line prospects on the Atlantic Coast, from Virginia into New Jersey. Bo Davis also offered a mammoth 2022 DL from Bremond.

- Stan Drayton and Brian Carrington continue to work on the recruiting of Cy Fair running back LJ Johnson, who is set to decide this week between the Horns and A&M.

- Sarkisian participated in another Zoom call with donors. Among other things, Sarkisian said he hopes to sign a few more recruits during the next signing period and will also monitor the portal for any obvious matches.

- Texas defensive end Jacoby Jones announced he is returning next season. Jones was a senior in 2020 but has decided to play one more year for the Burnt Orange.

I probably missed something. Like I said, the news is coming fast.

With the addition of Pete Kwiatkowski as DC, there remains only one known coaching spot available on the staff.

A few Texas players and coaches are now following Johnny Nansen on Twitter. Nansen is the current DL coach at UCLA and has coached at Washington and USC prior. He has previously coached ILB’s, which seems like it might be a natural fit under Sarkisian and Kwiatkowski.

One last thought. Every single coach that Sarkisian has hired has power 5 conference experience.

Sarkisian has thus far assembled a mix of coaches that have experience and pedigree unlike any other group since Mack Brown’s staff at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

My buddy and I made the trip to Lincoln in 1998. That Saturday was also Halloween and the atmosphere was awesome. The Nebraska fans were the nicest we had ever encountered before and after the game and we were blown away by the hospitality.

But they were anticipating a win (they had a massive home game win streak we broke) and made t-shirts to commemorate the event. I bought one after the game and still have it. On the front it says Nebraska Vs Texas Oct 31, 1998. Keeping with the Halloween theme, on the back it says “Nightmare at Memorial Stadium”. It’s still never not funny to me.
  • Hook 'Em 6

He's mostly coached OLBs, but Cort Dennison, who was a starting LB for three years at Washington while Sark was there, is an interesting candidate who's coached at Louisville for six years and Oregon for one year (in 2018)

https://247sports.com/coach/Cort-Dennison-3793/

https://goducks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/cort-dennison/3053

https://gocards.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/cort-dennison/2099

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Fud said:

Washington's LB coach and guy who Coach K (have we decided what we're calling him on Texas boards yet?) brought with him from Boise State to Washington, Bob Gregory, makes a lot of sense as the final hire from Wikipedia research; he has a ton of LB experience with some DC time sprinkled in, so presumably he should be a great teacher and even help with scheming and system implementation. 

But if you browse Washington boards, they almost universally hate the guy, even as just a position coach. I'm not sure if he's a fanbase scapegoat or if he actually does suck, but it does raise at least a small sense of alarm for me. 

There does seem to be a small chance that he gets promoted to DC anyway though. 

Considering Nansen seems to be the west coast version of Mike Stoops, hopefully Sark does the wise choice and passes on hiring his old wing man. 

Gregory is a good position coach who allegedly helps a ton with game planning.  He has the personality of a squid and isnt much of a recruiter.

good hire if we want coaching.  Shit hire if we want recruiting

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Fud said:

Coaches on staff so far with at least a decent amount of experience recruiting Texas

Banks

Davis

Joseph

Drayton

Coleman

Gideon

Flood

Kwiatowski 

Based on insiders and fans Kwiatkowski and recruiting don't go together. He gets kids based on his success but those around him do the leg work.

1 minute ago, Zhorn96 said:

Gregory is a good position coach who allegedly helps a ton with game planning.  He has the personality of a squid and isnt much of a recruiter.

That's what he looks like per Wikipedia/247, but Washington boards don't think he's actually a good coach on the field. I guess if he's important to the game planning and teaching, K will bring him to Texas, unless he gets a DC promotion 

23 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

That's what one would think based on Wikipedia and 247 research, but Washington boards seem to think he was a shit coach on the field as well. I guess we'll see if Kwiak brings him over, or if he gets promoted. If he's stuck as their LB coach, then maybe we have our answer 

22 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Based on insiders and fans Kwiatkowski and recruiting don't go together. He gets kids based on his success but those around him do the leg work.

That seems to be the common talking point. He might be better at recruiting than we all think though. 

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

o4miyvn9the21.jpg

This is the hire that got me jumping on the band wagon. After Muschamp left him out to dry with a partial defensive staff, he went out and got someone with lots of experience and really good. All the other names Golding, Arnett and Lanning were risky to me since they were still learning on the job. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's what he looks like per Wikipedia/247, but Washington boards don't think he's actually a good coach on the field. I guess if he's important to the game planning and teaching, K will bring him to Texas, unless he gets a DC promotion 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's what one would think based on Wikipedia and 247 research, but Washington boards seem to think he was a shit coach on the field as well. I guess we'll see if Kwiak brings him over, or if he gets promoted. If he's stuck as their LB coach, then maybe we have our answer 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

That seems to be the common talking point. He might be better at recruiting than we all think though. 

Impressive.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Based on what? It so surly to ignore all prior input and suggest a guy that is now ours will be different once he is ours. I love the hire but lets hope the last position is filled in with a good recruiter that can do the leg work.

Why do we think they have any insight as to his effectiveness as a coach/teacher? I include myself when I say that message board posters usually don’t know shit about that, as they lack visibility to the input processes and only see the outputs.

I’m not saying that he is or isn’t a good teacher
of the game. I am just challenging the idea that any of those idiots would know either way.

I think it’s more likely that he’s an underwhelming recruiter and they are transferring his failures there to his acumen as a coach.
  • Hook 'Em 2