Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t understand all the Coleman needs to prove him self shit I keep seeing. He spent 4 years around bill snyder as a player and 5 as a coach, played in the nfl for 5 years, 9 years now as a wr coach then was promoted to OC. Am I missing something? It’s been proven anytime he spent around herman as a coach has absolutely no bearing on how good he is. I guess we need something to wring our hands about lol. 

My thought is that if he is that great of a coach, why did he end up here as an off field analyst instead of getting a better gig somewhere else.  And when he was promoted to on field coach, the wr group didn't improve markedly.  Now hypothesis is that is because of Herman's meddling.  But I'm not close enough to the situation to know that for sure.  So to assume that he is a slam dunk, no-brainer of a hire I think is a little bit presumptuous at this point.  Clearly the wide receivers in the room like him.  But I'd like to see if we can beat press coverage next year.  Because even if Herman was meddling, I would have though he still should have at least been able to pass on that knowledge last year.  Put me firmly in the camp that says he needs to prove himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Oh, he’ll forego the 2021 NFL Draft all right.

What’s wrong with these kids?  Who’s in their ear?  How the hell could he even remotely think he’d be draftable after a career of doing nothing notable?  He wasn’t even some type of  hyped-up 5-star coming in. 

Personally it reminds me of that time I decided to forego the Nobel Peace Prize 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Oh, he’ll forego the 2021 NFL Draft all right.

What’s wrong with these kids?  Who’s in their ear?  How the hell could he even remotely think he’d be draftable after a career of doing nothing notable?  He wasn’t even some type of  hyped-up 5-star coming in. 

Bro. Have you even played Madden ‘face of the franchise’?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Ash was coming along nicely until he had to hang it up. I don't think it was a lazy take at all. Especially with how many QBs we have missed from our own backyard. He had the potential to be a really good college QB and made good on some of it.

but now we get to watch him heckle all the other teams during baseball games.  Oh wait, that's Drunk David Ash

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Please tell me Mike Davis is working with Greathouse 

He does. My LT 7s team played against the Klubnik/Greathouse team over and over again, in scrimmages and tournaments, even though they were a year behind my team. Davis worked with both teams until he assumed the OC role for the LT team and then went back to working with both teams after he stopped coaching the LT team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's ok to have a pessimistic view if you can back up your position. He couldn't. 

He didn't even know that Joseph coached safeties and that Kyle Hamilton was one of the best safeties in the country. 

Fuck off with that bullshit.  I know he coached safeties, you doorknob, but that isn't what he's coaching here, apparently.  You cited a single example of a player.  I generally ignore idiots I don't wish to engage with, but for you I'm making an exception.  I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't think I am.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

My thought is that if he is that great of a coach, why did he end up here as an off field analyst instead of getting a better gig somewhere else.  And when he was promoted to on field coach, the wr group didn't improve markedly.  Now hypothesis is that is because of Herman's meddling.  But I'm not close enough to the situation to know that for sure.  So to assume that he is a slam dunk, no-brainer of a hire I think is a little bit presumptuous at this point.  Clearly the wide receivers in the room like him.  But I'd like to see if we can beat press coverage next year.  Because even if Herman was meddling, I would have though he still should have at least been able to pass on that knowledge last year.  Put me firmly in the camp that says he needs to prove himself. 

No telling. Maybe Herman told him his position coaches were on the hot seat, and if he let Mehringer go, that he was on deck. A chance at the highest profile school in the Big XII might have been worth taking an analyst position for a year, and be in Herman's ear about what he would have done differently. How was he to know that Herman was just as much a problem as Mehringer? I think Bill Snyder is probably one of the best football coaches to ever coach the game. He did more with less than anyone I know. Getting good/marginal talent to a BFE town that smells like cow shit is a chore. To have them in the hunt for a National Title in the late nineties through the early two thousands was just insane. If Coleman was good enough to be Bill Snyder's OC, he is definitely good enough to be the WR coach at Texas.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5

No telling. Maybe Herman told him his position coaches were on the hot seat, and if he let Mehringer go, that he was on deck. A chance at the highest profile school in the Big XII might have been worth taking an analyst position for a year, and be in Herman's ear about what he would have done differently. How was he to know that Herman was just as much a problem as Mehringer? I think Bill Snyder is probably one of the best football coaches to ever coach the game. He did more with less than anyone I know. Getting good/marginal talent to a BFE town that smells like cow shit is a chore. To have them in the hunt for a National Title in the late nineties through the early two thousands was just insane. If Coleman was good enough to be Bill Snyder's OC, he is definitely good enough to be the WR coach at Texas.
CHIEF

Sark is now on record as wanting him as WR coach on more than one occasion. So maybe Coleman is selective and goes at his own pace and will. That ties into your reasoning of him being ok as an analyst.

As for the dynamic of WR improvement, I'm not sure Eagles was well motivated, Moore is small and missed time, Schooler and Black weren't around that long, Whittington and Smith were injured quite a bit. And its 2020. Then add in all the inconsistent reps they all got. And all that is before you throw in some meddling.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Fuck off with that bullshit.  I know he coached safeties, you doorknob, but that isn't what he's coaching here, apparently.  You cited a single example of a player.  I generally ignore idiots I don't wish to engage with, but for you I'm making an exception.  I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't think I am.

Your original post

"I don't claim to know as much as many here, but I don't recall the Domers fielding any shut down secondaries, and they don't face the season long onslaught of wide open offenses featured in the Big 12."

You tried to blame Joseph for Notre Dame's failures when he wasn't in charge of the corners. The safeties were actually very good in pass coverage. The dweeb Satya liking all your pessimistic posts about Joseph is really all you need to know. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JPETERMAN said:

I’m going to jump off a big assumption cliff here but what if he learned from bill Snyder to be calculating in how he handles himself? If he wasn’t interested in glory, money, or possibly working in a different conference then an analyst role at Texas would be perfectly fine to see if a coaching spot opened for him. He can be a good coach without being a guy who chases money or trophy’s. I don’t think people are capable of understanding that some coaches aren’t psychos who have to win at all costs or their life’s aren’t meaningful. I could be completely wrong and Coleman could be a JAG but time will well. Sark will push him to be good or get out I think. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

If I recall, it seems like Herman hunted around outside for a while and sure seemed like he settled for Coleman because he couldn't convince any other quality wr coach to come here.  He definitely didn't have some pre-arranged agreement to promote him after he he fired Meh.  I recall the players having to push for him to get that job.  But you're right, there is No Telling.  Certain things just don't add up.  Maybe there is a valid reason.  Maybe not.  That's why I have him on the list to prove it.  Hopefully he does.  

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I’m going to jump off a big assumption cliff here but what if he learned from bill Snyder to be calculating in how he handles himself? If he wasn’t interested in glory, money, or possibly working in a different conference then an analyst role at Texas would be perfectly fine to see if a coaching spot opened for him. He can be a good coach without being a guy who chases money or trophy’s. I don’t think people are capable of understanding that some coaches aren’t psychos who have to win at all costs or their life’s aren’t meaningful. I could be completely wrong and Coleman could be a JAG but time will well. Sark will push him to be good or get out I think. 

Again, this is why I have him on the list to prove it.  I'm not saying all the theories about him just being absolutely handcuffed by Herman are not possible.  He could very well be a great coach.  But there are some things in the narrative that at least make me question it a little.  And I don't care what Herman is telling him to teach the kids to do.  If your entire position group repeatedly can't get off the LOS against press coverage, then I'm sorry, you go behind Herman's back and teach them how to on your own!

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Oh yeah dude. You got us. Mike Stoops loves us and is getting info about who's on the staff even though he isn't even on it/near it. You're a super sleuth.

But it is quite rude of our source to block us on twitter. 🤷‍♂️

Hey Mike make sure you twitter block us so it’s not so obvious that you’re our source.  Chess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, derpyhorndog said:

For fear of stating the obvious, even without our collective PTSD from Charlie’s and Tom’s initial staffs, every surly poster save trolls and and the Pope of Pessimism would have been happy with this slate of assistant hires if presented at the onset of the search as a hypothetical.

It’s not perfect and there are a few that deserve scrutiny, and I don’t mind the scrutiny because that kind of discussion is kind of the life blood of CFB message boards. But I, like many others, have renewed optimism for success of the program given who has been assembled and Sark’s calculated actions only a couple weeks out of the gate - and that’s after being down on the hire when it first happened.

Absent an abysmal hire with the last defensive hire, this is easily a Top 10 staff in college football and has the potential to be even higher. We beat UGA and had stretches of success and what at the time appeared to be positive trajectory with a JV coaching staff led by a psychiatrist’s dream heading the charge.

If you trust Sark’s coaching and program-leading abilities, there is every reason to believe we have the pieces to move from mirage to actual sustained success and, if we do that, you’re looking at a Bama-lite situation (at least early on) where any “B-range” staffers will be much more easily upgraded. You need a new HC regime jump out the gate on a path to sustained success and stability to be in a position to do that, and we avoided a three-peat nightmare scenario where initial hires delivered the silent kill shot before a single game was played and a year or two later you’re taking late-night trips to Tulsa to beg a G5 coordinator to accept your money whip. Be happy and optimistic my friends, you surly fucks. 

Worthy of all the pos rep there plane hunter

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Super K thinks Tosh Lupoi has an offer from Texas, and they're vetting Marve only as a backup if Lupoi goes elsewhere.

Also believes Tennessee badass LB Henry To’o To’o comes to Texas if Lupoi does.

I mean nothing would be more on brand for this kid bailing on Tennessee to follow Tosh. Also he had Washington in his final schools so he presumably has a relationship / familiarity with Kwat. Bring it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Super K thinks Tosh Lupoi has an offer from Texas, and they're vetting Marve only as a backup if Lupoi goes elsewhere.

When Oregon hires a DC then we should have more clarity on the LB hire. 

8 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Man, if Lupoi agrees to a co-Dc no play calling position and makes that happen I will be drinking a lot of Kool-aid.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Has he been announced as staying? He is one of the few I have a strong opinion on, but after listening to him for an hour on a podcast I was a huge fan. I’ll root for him regardless 

2 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

If I recall, it seems like Herman hunted around outside for a while and sure seemed like he settled for Coleman because he couldn't convince any other quality wr coach to come here.  He definitely didn't have some pre-arranged agreement to promote him after he he fired Meh.  I recall the players having to push for him to get that job.  But you're right, there is No Telling.  Certain things just don't add up.  Maybe there is a valid reason.  Maybe not.  That's why I have him on the list to prove it.  Hopefully he does.  

Again, this is why I have him on the list to prove it.  I'm not saying all the theories about him just being absolutely handcuffed by Herman are not possible.  He could very well be a great coach.  But there are some things in the narrative that at least make me question it a little.  And I don't care what Herman is telling him to teach the kids to do.  If your entire position group repeatedly can't get off the LOS against press coverage, then I'm sorry, you go behind Herman's back and teach them how to on your own!

Well, there are only about 100 KState games you could Google and watch on youtube. Go take a gander, and decide for yourself.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There’s basically zero chance that LB coach at Texas is Lupoi’s best offer. NFL position coach is a better choice as it gets him a year closer to a vested pension. 

We may be the beneficiaries of timing. And timing is everything.