Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Roach

Spoiler

— Aledo cornerback Jaden Allen was the first in-state offer for the Longhorns in 2024. The brother of Texas commit Bryan Allen Jr. was one of the best freshmen I saw last year. Jaden and I traded messages a bit today, and he said he really likes Blake Gideon who has been able to do a great job with the family. Texas is in a fight for Allen with Alabama coming on but I don't expect them to go away easily.

Roach

Spoiler

— Texas wasted no time working on in-state offers in the 2024 class. The Longhorns offered Aledo DB Jaden Allen yesterday, and as I mentioned, he had a very impressive first year starting at corner on a state championship team. The Longhorns moved today on two other guys that had big freshman years. 2024 Lewisville safety Jaydan Hardy is a guy I've been a big fan of. Texas needed to get into this one early to make an impact, and they should be able to hang in the race for the long haul. Hardy is the type of guy who will likely have every offer he wants by the time he finishes his career, but one might be tough to overcome. Tennessee could be a major factor as his father starred for the Volunteers. Still, Texas is officially in the race now for one of the best in '24.

— Another big freshman offer for the Longhorns was DeSoto DE Caleb Mitchell. The next in a line of DeSoto's defensive line excellence, I first saw Mitchell training with Shemar Turner last summer as an 8th grader. Since that time he's grown tremendously and earned a starting spot for the Eagles. I've been told in the past that most of Mitchell's family are Texas A&M fans and the Aggies were a dream school for him. It doesn't hurt that Shemar Turner is also there. Though Mitchell's father graduated from Texas, so the Longhorns are looked at as the one school that could oppose A&M for his services. A source I spoke with said that Texas made the smart move getting in early and beating the Aggies to the punch. This source also added that there's a new vibe and positivity from this coaching staff they didn't feel with the last one.

Wells

Spoiler

S Jaydan Hardy, Lewisville (Lewisville, TX) - 2024:

One of the best prospects in-state for 2024 and likely the nation, when it's all said and done, picked up a UT offer yesterday.

The 6-foot, 170-pound athlete was named District 6-6A Defensive Newcomer of the Year as a freshman in 2020. He's recruited at safety, but is equally devastating on offense in the slot.

He has football in his genes with his father, a former Tennessee Volunteers football player. So it's natural the Vols will be involved.

Texas, OU, LSU, Florida, and Texas A&M are among his nine early offers, and the Horns want to see him soon.

“I’m trying to find time for me to come down to Austin," Hardy said. "(Texas) said to keep grinding and developing for the next three years as we keep a connection.”

Hardy mentioned June 24th as a possibility, but nothing is set in stone just yet. This kid will have 30+ offers, when it's all said and done.

DL Caleb Mitchell, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2024:

The next in line along the defensive front at Desoto, Mitchell is an example of a program reloading.

The 6-foot-2, 240-pound sophomore-to-be is just another in a long line of Desoto dudes. With six offers including Texas, Mississippi State, Oklahoma State, and TCU, it's refreshing when the Horns get in early on a potential prospect. Texas likes what they see and want to see more.

“(Texas) just told me that they were going to recruit me hard and just stay focused," said Mitchell, after his UT offer yesterday.

He played as a freshman with 11 tackles, two tackles for loss, one sack, and one forced fumble in mop-up duty in 2020.

Mitchell wants to see Austin this summer, notably this month, if possible. It's nice when Texas lays the recruiting foundation early.

(CJ Vogel) Ford Sports Performance Bringing Big Group to Austin Tomorrow

Spoiler

Texas will be hosting a big and talented group from the pacific northwest as Ryan Clary will be bringing in a group from Ford Sports Performance.

The talented group will be on campus tomorrow and will likely have the coaching staff all to themselves. The FSP group had a busy first week of visits with trips to UGA, Alabama, Clemson and Auburn.

Here’s a rundown of who will be on campus:

2024 OL Isendre Ahfua – Seattle, WA

Ahfua caught major attnetion this weekend during his visit to Alabama thanks to a viral video of him walking around in an Alabama jersey. Ahfua is only 14 years old and over the weekend he earned offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Texas A&M. The kid is a straight baller.

2024 QB Jake Schakel – Puyallup, WA

The pro-style quarterback has already made a splash in the recruiting world as a true freshman. Stanford, USC, Washington, Cal and Oregon State have pulled the trigger and offered the young gunslinger. The 2024 QB class in Texas has yet to emerge really outside of Cole Welliver so another option in the eyes of the coaching staff is not a bad sign.

2024 ATH Brayden Platt – Yelm, WA

Platt already has the size of division one line backers at 6’2.5″ and 235 lbs. He is bound to be one of the top players on the west coast for the 2024 class. Getting him on campus early is a great should there be any chance of the Longhorns to be players in this recruitment.

Roach (x-post from the '23 thread)

Spoiler

— Add South Oak Cliff cornerback Jayvon Thomas to the list of guys this weekend along with teammates Dylan Brown-Turner, Randy Reece and Jamyri Cauley. Thomas already holds a Texas offer while Brown-Turner and Reece will likely work out for the staff. Cauley is a guy to watch. The 2024 athlete is nicknamed "Wildman" and has the look of an NFL player already. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, Cauley can play receiver or linebacker at the next level and is likely going to have the attention of every school in the country. Texas now has a good link to SOC with Chris Gilbert having coached in South Dallas including graduating from and coaching the Golden Bears himself for many years.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls