Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

He wasn't going to be a full-time player but it still sucks.  GP said the other day that they were going to limit him to 15-20 snaps a game because of his injury history.  Sounds to me like he was going to try to give it a go his senior season but the injury bug bit again or he decided playing through the pain ain't worth it.  The kid had NFL potential but has been snake bit by injuries since he started 6-7 games as a true freshman.  What's even worse is that Ben Wilson, the soph who was the primary back up to both LB's got injured last week and is out until October.  Looks like we're moving another safety to LB. It's worked before but it would nice for one season to have a pair of LB's like Tanner Brock and Tank Carder or Daryl Washington and David Hawthorne again. 

32 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

0/2 on Shawn Robinson and Justin Rogers? I didn't see that coming.

We still have Max Duggan and Matthew Baldwin though.  That's not a bad QB room with the veteran Delton.  Duggan was rated about equal to Robinson and Baldwin wasn't far behind. Rogers foot still has a chance to come around too. Duggan is the one to keep an eye on in my opinion.  The kid was a 4 year starter in high school.  He's got speed (4.58 at the opening, 22.02 200M) and arm strength.  Some insiders are saying he's got the strongest arm of any QB we've had since Boykin.  He might be our Brock Purdy. 

16 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

That's not a bad QB room with the veteran Delton.  

Delton was awful at Kansas State. I mean awful. 

I really like Baldwin but after that I don't see much. TCU should be in decent to good shape with Baldwin next year but the QB room doesn't inspire much confidence this year. If Delton wins the starting job this year that should tell you all you need to know about the other QBs. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

19 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

We still have Max Duggan and Matthew Baldwin though.  That's not a bad QB room with the veteran Delton.  Duggan was rated about equal to Robinson and Baldwin wasn't far behind. Rogers foot still has a chance to come around too. Duggan is the one to keep an eye on in my opinion.  The kid was a 4 year starter in high school.  He's got speed (4.58 at the opening, 22.02 200M) and arm strength.  Some insiders are saying he's got the strongest arm of any QB we've had since Boykin.  He might be our Brock Purdy. 

I get all of that but Delton has 5 career TD passes and he's leading the pack.  It's not ideal.

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I really like Baldwin but after that I don't see much. TCU should be in decent to good shape with Baldwin next year but the QB room doesn't inspire much confidence this year. If Delton wins the starting job this year that should tell you all you need to know about the other QBs. 

Yeah, this is the thing about all these reports. Alex Dalton was traaaaaaash at K-State, and now one offseason away he's suddenly keeping Purdy 2.0 off the field? I don't see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Baldwin still not approved by NCAA to play for TCU this season and not cleared for fall camp either due to knee procedure.

7/15/19 update:  Baldwin had minor surgery to his knee to clean some things up and isn’t expected to go through fall camp with the Frogs. He will be released in early September. Baldwin is currently in a knee brace and not participating in off-season workouts. “I haven’t seen anything. He had a procedure done, so he’s basically just getting out of crutches," Patterson said.

Edited by LTtxfan

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article235540602.html

Fatterson is getting a little restless.

Gary Patterson isn’t apologizing for his criticism of TCU’s home crowd during the Frogs’ 41-38 loss to crosstown rival SMU last Saturday. Instead, he’s doubling down on it.

“It’s my job just to coach ballgames,” Patterson said during his radio show on 92.1 Hank FM on Thursday night. “But if TCU ever wants to get to the point where we want to win a national championship, we’re going to have to decide that we’re not going to let anybody else in.

“When we do that, then at that point in time we’ll get to that point. I’m not upset with anyone, but the bottom line to it is I want to have a home-field advantage. If we’re going to let as many people of the other color down close to the field as we did the other day, it’s going to be very hard [to have a home-field advantage].”

On 9/23/2019 at 3:17 AM, texasstrong12 said:

S&P+ rankings for TCU's offense-

'19 (#50)

'18 (#91)

I've been saying this for a couple years but when are people going to realize Cumbie sucks? 

Circa 2014, a lot of Tech fans were freaking out thinking we'd hired the wrong former QB to be our HC, especially after TCU laid that 82-27 beatdown on us.  Turns out, both guys suck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The most widely read TCU messageboard is Killerfrogs.com.  Many surlyites have spent time there.  Wes Phelan, one of the original longtime owners, passed away from cancer yesterday.  A class act.  Prayers for his family.

https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/last-post.222952/

Edited by nnm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Surprised to see this about Horny Toads DBs...

Coming in at #1 for the top 5 secondaries heading into 2020 #CollegeFootball season is #LSU. Thoughts?

We do have a great secondary coming back.  The big question, who is going to pressure the QB.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SIAP, but Patterson is using this down time because of the pandemic to become a songwriter.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29110298/tcu-coach-songwriter-gary-patterson-using-rare-make-album

Between video conferencing with players and staff, furiously planning for a multitude of possible college football scenarios, spending time with family, and helping in his community, TCU coach Gary Patterson is staying as busy as ever during this period of social distancing.

With practices and workouts on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic, Patterson is using his rare downtime to chase a dream: making music. He said he is working with a recording artist to make an album.

"I used to write music when I was younger," Patterson said Tuesday during a video conference call with reporters. "I actually sent somebody some of my music, and somebody's going to record it."

Patterson won't say whom he is working with or divulge many details -- "I'm not letting somebody steal my music," he joked -- but he noted that the process is moving along well. He estimated that he has written about 15 songs over the course of 30 years, and some of the lyrics have been updated with some help.

"I've always wanted to be able to do it," he said. "They've already been in the studio, they've already put it on tracks, and we're going forward. That's something that I never thought I'd get to do because I always stayed so busy."

Added Patterson: "You might be really surprised when we get done with this. The guy that helped [rewrite] it, he put it in the modern age. If it hits No. 1, I'm gonna make all you guys all go out to some country place, and you're all going to have to dance to it."

Aside from his passion project, Patterson remains optimistic about the possibility of the football season occurring in some form or fashion. He said he has made multiple plans for different scenarios of how many practices his team might have during an altered training camp and has discussed countless possibilities for safety measures when his team is allowed to resume workouts, including staggering weight room sessions for groups of 10 or fewer at a time and having players not 

sit next to one another during meals.

He repeatedly stressed that he and his coaching counterparts will have to rely upon "the higher-ups" -- government officials and health experts -- to give them the green light to ensure that players and students are safe.

"I think there will be [a season]," Patterson said. "I think my optimism is very high. That's why I'm doing all the things I'm doing. At some point in time, whether it's fall or spring or it's shortened, whatever it is, we're talking about five, six, seven, eight different options. The closer we get to June 1, and people are starting to open things up more a little bit here in May, I think we're going to be able to make a lot better decision on what all that looks like. But right now, I think everything changes day to day."

In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Monday that the state's stay-at-home order will expire at the end of the month, and some businesses will be able to reopen at 25% capacity on May 1 as part of a phased reopening of the state's economy.

Patterson said more testing is necessary to ensure that it's safe for players to resume team activities. He mentioned that he is likely to have an antibody test himself, possibly later this week.

"Do coaches and players need to get tested every day or every two days? There's just a lot of unknowns right now," he said. "Our doctors and our trainers, our chancellors, we're working on a plan of what that looks like, so if we do have an opportunity to do it, that we're able to do it safely."

One thing Patterson is certain of is that whenever football does resume, it will be different.

"We're finding out, whether it's sports or just on your own block, our lives have changed," he said.

He pondered that it could be fodder for another song.

"Some of it slowing down, to be honest with you, is for the better," he said. "Maybe I'll write a song about taking that deep breath, see what that looks like."

Is he already working on the lyrics?

"Yeah, I might," he said. "You guys will be the first ones to hear it. I'll do a Zoom call and get the guitar out."

Edited by ScottS
added some spaces