Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

TCU: Gary Patterson and Frogs assistants Sonny Cumbie, Chad Glasgow, Jarrett Anderson, and Dan Sharp have been among a group accepting a voluntary pay cut, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Patterson made around $4.9 million last year, and earlier this year donated $50,000 to the school’s coronavirus relief fund.

GP's got new a part-time job... Lunch Lady

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

A distant associate of mine that does some associate prof work at TCU is telling me they just cut everyones retirement contributions by 50%. According to him, It is temporary for the Administration, permanent for the faculty and staff. 

What they did is cut the TCU contribution from 11% of your salary per year to 8% per year.

Yeah, it's 11.5 down to 8 plus some other cuts. I found this after some digging.

Chancellor Victor Boschini last week announced a reduction in the percentage the university contributes to employee retirement accounts, from the current 11.5 percent to 8 percent. The reduction starts in June.

The university also recently said it is reducing its contribution to health insurance for retirees. Previously, retirees received $225 per month toward purchasing health insurance. Starting in January, employees 45 or older will continue to be eligible for that benefit, but younger employees will not. Instead, they may only contribute to a defined contribution model for retiree health benefits.

“This news is difficult to deliver, but this reduction will result in significant cost savings to our overall budget and will allow TCU to still maintain competitive employee benefits for current and future employees,” Boschini said in his email to employees. “We know that some universities are wholly suspending, offering significantly lower contributions, or requiring an employee match for retirement account contributions during this time.”

Texas Christian earlier announced a set of voluntary coaching and executive salary reductions, hiring freezes, and a planned 20 percent reduction in the coming fiscal year’s operating budget.

My source said they were saying they had 30%+  budget shortfall. I'm a little surprised, they were on my daughters final three so I went along to an on campus honor college get together just a few months ago. They specifically mentioned how they had such a strong endowment, something big changed.

11 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

My source said they were saying they had 30%+  budget shortfall. I'm a little surprised, they were on my daughters final three so I went along to an on campus honor college get together just a few months ago. They specifically mentioned how they had such a strong endowment, something big changed.

That I haven't heard.  They do have a sizable endowment, but it too was probably affected by the oil prices and the stock market.  TCU was in the middle of a billion dollar campaign when this hit.  Unless things turn around quickly it will be difficult to reach to the goal.  They are about 2/3rds there.  A crumbling economy is going to hurt all colleges in the near term.  They better get ready.

VgL7__8-_bigger.jpg   Jeremy Clark   @JClarkHFB247

5h
Due to persistent injuries, #TCU quarterback Matthew Baldwin has decided to hang up his cleats. He will remain a student at #TCU.

46cyy8.gif

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Matthew-Baldwin-done-with-football-due-to-injuries-148540716/

TCU QB Matthew Baldwin done with football due to injuries

By JEREMY CLARK.      Thu Jun 25 2020

TCU backup quarterback Matthew Baldwin is hanging up his cleats due to injuries, multiple sources confirmed to HornedFrogBlitz on Thursday. Those same sources told Baldwin will take a medical and still remain a student at TCU. Baldwin confirmed the news to HornedFrogBlitz as well.

"Very thankful to TCU for the opportunities and will be involved with the program and help as much as I can," he said in a text.

Baldwin dealt with multiple injuries the past two seasons including a knee injury that forced him to miss all of 2019. 

One of the most heavily-recruited quarterbacks from the 2018 class, Baldwin led Lake Travis to a deep run in the Class 6A playoffs as a senior. He threw for 3,842 yards with 44 touchdowns to just six interceptions as a senior. He was ranked as the No. 10 pro-style quarterback in the nation according to 247Sports. He chose Ohio State over several other options. Unfortunately, he did not see any game action as a collegiate player.

Baldwin announced his transfer from Ohio State to TCU in May of 2019 after redshirting his first year in Columbus. He showed promise in the spring of 2019 and competed with Justin Fields for the starting quarterback position for the Buckeyes. However, Fields was named as the starting quarterback at the conclusion of spring camp. Baldwin entered the NCAA transfer portal a short time later.

The former four-star out of Lake Travis arrived on campus in the fall and was expected to compete for the starting job for the Frogs. However, Baldwin had a procedure done over the summer which was confirmed by head coach Gary Patterson during last year’s Big 12 media days. The procedure forced Baldwin to miss fall camp and ultimately ruining any shot he had at competing for a starting position.

Baldwin applied for a waiver to have immediate eligibility once he got to TCU. After initially getting declined by the NCAA in early August, the waiver was officially granted on September 1.

Although he was able to compete, injuries still plagued Baldwin’s return. He did not see any game action in 2019.

Baldwin’s injuries persisted in the spring as Patterson told the media prior to spring camp that Baldwin would not be participating. There was hope he could return in the fall but word started to filter out that Baldwin was still not completely healthy over the summer.

With the loss of Baldwin, the Frogs now have four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. The good news is they return last season’s starter Max Duggan. Others on the roster include former walk-on Matthew Downing, JUCO signee Stephon Brown and 2020 signee Eli Williams. Brown was rated as the No. 1 JUCO quarterback in the nation according to 247Sports.

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, nnm said:

TCU lands LSU transfer, former 5* Marcel Brooks from Flower Mound, who is on campus today.  Joins Zach Evans as the second 5* (and first two composite 5* ever) to enroll at TCU this summer.

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/board/101445/Contents/sources-former-lsu-lb-marcel-brooks-headed-to-tcu-149150558/

If Evans figures his shit out and decides to quit being a diva and listen to his coaches he'll be awesome.

Brooks is an amazing football player and a really worthless human being.

Edited by texifornia

• 2 weeks later...

C'mon TCU... Play BAMA!!!

https://amp.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article244410027.html?__twitter_impression=true

TCU football close to finalizing games for Week Zero, Week 2. Possible opponents?

BY DREW DAVISON    JULY 22, 2020 04:50 PM

TCU is planning to open the football season on Aug. 29 and play another non-conference game on Sept. 12 in Week 2, athletic director Jeremiah Donati said.

Donati refused to say who TCU had lined up to play, but acknowledged the school is close to finalizing contracts with two new opponents.

TCU lost two of its non-conference football games this month when the Pac-12 opted for a conference-only schedule, eliminating TCU’s season opener at Cal on Sept. 5, and when the SWAC postponed fall sports to the spring, eliminating TCU’s home opener against Prairie View A&M on Sept. 12.

But TCU has opponents lined up with plans to go forward with a 12-game season this fall amid the coronavirus pandemic. There’s a strong sense that TCU would open the season at UNLV on Aug. 29 in Las Vegas. Similar to TCU, UNLV had a non-conference game against Cal canceled with the Pac-12’s decision.

The game would be played at Vegas’ Allegiant Stadium, which will be the new home to UNLV and the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders. With the NFL canceling its preseason, TCU and UNLV would be the first football game played at the stadium if it happens.

TCU has a history with UNLV. The schools were both members of the Western Athletic Conference from 1996-98 and the Mountain West from 2005-11. TCU owns the all-time series record 9-1.

The Frogs went 7-0 against the Rebels under Gary Patterson in the Mountain West matchups (2005-11), including a 48-6 victory in their last trip to Las Vegas in 2010. 

It’s unclear who the Week 2 opponent may be to replace Prairie View A&M, but it’ll likely be a program within driving distance of Fort Worth.

“We liked these options because it gave us flexibility,” Donati said. “We have the ability to adapt if needed.”

As of now, TCU’s non-conference schedule would have games on Aug. 29 (possibly at UNLV), Sept. 12 (home opener) and Sept. 26 (at SMU) with Big 12 play starting Oct. 3 (Oklahoma State). But, as Donati said, this also gives the program flexibility to shuffle games, given the unpredictability of the pandemic, with open dates on Sept. 5 and Sept. 19. 

The Horned Frogs are preparing for a Week Zero matchup. The team started the “summer access” portion (walkthroughs, meetings, conditioning) of preseason camp last week and is expected to start fall camp late next week.

That’s the timetable for programs preparing for Week Zero. Programs scheduled to open the season on Week 1 can begin their “summer access” portion this Friday with fall camp starting Aug. 7.

CAL MAKEUP?

TCU isn’t playing at Cal as expected this season, but the schools are working on rescheduling that game at some point down the road. However, it’ll be years down the road, given the number of non-conference matchups already on the books for the foreseeable future.

Cal is committed to playing at TCU in 2021.

PLUS-ONE MODEL?

TCU remains hopeful of playing a full 12-game season, although it knows how fluid the situation is amid the pandemic. Things can change.

One model on the Big 12’s table, according to Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman, is a “plus-one” in which teams would play one non-conference game and then the full nine-game league schedule.

For now, though, that’s a secondary option the schools hope to avoid.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 6/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

VgL7__8-_bigger.jpg   Jeremy Clark   @JClarkHFB247

5h
Due to persistent injuries, #TCU quarterback Matthew Baldwin has decided to hang up his cleats. He will remain a student at #TCU.

46cyy8.gif

B71KM7V.gif

I met Patterson at a coaches clinic at TCU.  I was hanging out with a few coaches and he came over to small talk with us.  It was the most awkward 10 minutes ever.  You'd think it'd be exciting to talk to a big time head coach but we all felt awkward as hell.  The dude has no people skills and openly talked about how he wished he could just coach defense and not deal with everything else.

I can't imagine how someone that awkward and boring has been successful for this long.  

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The starters coming to his defense

So he definitely dropped some form of n-word in the meeting, which, come the fuck on dude. That's hilariously tone deaf for a) the modern era and b) this moment in time specifically.

Is it fireable? Idk. Is it absolutely going to effect recruiting? Yup.