Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

47 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Got some well connected buddies there that say the hire has been made. They aren’t sure who, yet, though. Supposedly, Prime’s interview went really well. Surprisingly them a bit on the amount of traction that has.

If true, all signs point to Dykes. Which will be an incredibly lame, boring, overly safe and undoubtedly failed choice. That dude is Tom Herman 2.0 plus a failed stop at a P5 with an NFL level quarterback. But hey, old stiff white guy with by gawd Texas ties. Good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

If true, all signs point to Dykes. Which will be an incredibly lame, boring, overly safe and undoubtedly failed choice. That dude is Tom Herman 2.0 WITHOUT THE PERSONALITY DISORDER AND ADDICTION RISK plus a failed stop at a P5 with an NFL level quarterback. But hey, old stiff white guy with by gawd Texas ties. Good luck with that.

FIFY

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nnm said:

Trade in a multiple national COY winner who literally resurrected the program for a career .500 coach. Bold move, Cotton. Let’s see how it works out for them. 

Using that line of reasoning, Mack Brown would still be the coach at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Meh hire. Solid 6-8 win coach in the big 12

A significant improvement over Gary the last several years. He’ll hit DFW recruiting hard, and reinvigorate the program. And GP will come here next year. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

A significant improvement over Gary the last several years. He’ll hit DFW recruiting hard, and reinvigorate the program. And GP will come here next year. 

GP isn't leaving Ft. Worth to be a coordinator so unless CDC fires Sark, don't hold your breath.

52 minutes ago, royiv said:

GP isn't leaving Ft. Worth to be a coordinator so unless CDC fires Sark, don't hold your breath.

I’m not holding my breath. I’ve heard this from several sources, but we’ll see. GP and CDC are REALLY tight. S  as tk isn’t going anywhere. GP isn’t likely to get a HC gig right away unless LSU is grasping, and even then I can’t see GP saying “yeah that’s worth the headache.”  GP would love to make a couple mil per year for a temporary job, and then go and take over a middling P5 program. He is a hell of a coach that needed a serious change in scenery. 

Dykes and Lashlee are going to ensure the DFW programs stay relevant (TCU’s case a return to relevance). 

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Dude, GP ain't going to go work for 7WS. It's not happening.

I don’t think it appreciably improves us, really. The D’s problem is a woeful lack of talent. I’m just telling you I’ve heard from 2 different guys who….know things. 

Edit: 7WS?

Edited by Porterhouse

GP is an incredibly stubborn and inflexible person that can't stand even the smallest amount of scrutiny. That was eventually downfall at a school where he has a statue on campus. He's not going to go work for anyone unless he has TOTAL control. So unless Sark cedes all control of the defensive side of the ball and they pay him $3mm year or more, he's not going anywhere. GP isn't convincing Kelsey to leave FW unless it's for a head coaching job.

19 minutes ago, royiv said:

GP is an incredibly stubborn and inflexible person that can't stand even the smallest amount of scrutiny. That was eventually downfall at a school where he has a statue on campus. He's not going to go work for anyone unless he has TOTAL control. So unless Sark cedes all control of the defensive side of the ball and they pay him $3mm year or more, he's not going anywhere. GP isn't convincing Kelsey to leave FW unless it's for a head coaching job.

Mostly true. Not sure about his money requirements, but Texas would pay that (they have a monkey-owning stripper boyfriend ST coach with a lot fewer skins on the wall at $1MM). CDC is so tight with GP that he may force Sark to cede control of D. GP clearly needs to take a step back and decompress from running a program for a time, a la Mack (my opinion watching him melt down over the last several seasons). And a 3.5 hour trip ensures Kelsey doesn’t leave FW. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Mostly true. Not sure about his money requirements, but Texas would pay that (they have a monkey-owning stripper boyfriend ST coach with a lot fewer skins on the wall at $1MM). CDC is so tight with GP that he may force Sark to cede control of D. GP clearly needs to take a step back and decompress from running a program for a time, a la Mack (my opinion watching him melt down over the last several seasons). And a 3.5 hour trip ensures Kelsey doesn’t leave FW. 

Dude, no one is getting a multiple National COY winner to be a coordinator, particularly for someone like Sark. This is the most delusional thing going. He has more money than he can spend and if he wants a job in the short term, can get one on tv. He killed it in the coaches’ room for 2 years during the CFP finals.
He’ll be back in coaching, but not as a coordinator. My personal little bet is he goes corn after they get rid of Frost mid-year next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

Dude, no one is getting a multiple National COY winner to be a coordinator, particularly for someone like Sark. This is the most delusional thing going. He has more money than he can spend and if he wants a job in the short term, can get one on tv. He killed it in the coaches’ room for 2 years during the CFP finals.
He’ll be back in coaching, but not as a coordinator. My personal little bet is he goes corn after they get rid of Frost mid-year next year. 

You’re probably right.  Even if he were inclined to come for a lot of money Sark would bitch to CDC and Sark isn’t under fire. Yet. I’ve just heard this from 2 separate rumor mill sources who are generally on the money and one called the Dykes deal done 3 weeks ago in the same conversation. Probably big cigar wishful thinking. Thought I’d share; not happy I did. 

53 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Siap but Zach Evans tranferring

shocker

Yes, and TCU has lost most of its headliners in their recruiting class. Maybe Dykes turns that around, but not likely. Probably several years of wandering the desert for the frogs. About what is deserved from letting go of a legend in that way. 

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

Yes, and TCU has lost most of its headliners in their recruiting class. Maybe Dykes turns that around, but not likely. Probably several years of wandering the desert for the frogs. About what is deserved from letting go of a legend in that way. 

Depends on his assistants. That was Gary's downfall.  Holding on to too many mediocre ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, nnm said:

Samp is probably bringing 2 4 stars with him for 2022. They'll scrap and put a decent class together and maybe find some guys in the portal - potentially from SMU. 

But Evans is a really bad loss. TCU rarely gets talents like that. 

• Like 1

IF CDC and GP are really tight, how about GP as an analyst - following the Alabama model.  Just come to Austin a few times a week during the fall to work with coaches help critique and design defense and get paid while recharging his battery.  Then he's primed for his next HC gig.    Make it happen CDC!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2021 at 9:29 PM, MIkeHoncho said:

IF CDC and GP are really tight, how about GP as an analyst - following the Alabama model.  Just come to Austin a few times a week during the fall to work with coaches help critique and design defense and get paid while recharging his battery.  Then he's primed for his next HC gig.    Make it happen CDC!!!

This is where I thought he’d end up - as an analyst - when I passed along the DC smoke that I’d heard. I have no heard this from a 3rd and 4th person. I don’t know what context - analyst or replacing PK. 

42 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

This is where I thought he’d end up - as an analyst - when I passed along the DC smoke that I’d heard. I have no heard this from a 3rd and 4th person. I don’t know what context - analyst or replacing PK. 

Could be just like the Jerry Kill role at toads this past season...

On 12/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, LTtxfan said:

Could be just like the Jerry Kill role at toads this past season...

Now I’m hearing it’d be more like that, or Co-DC. Sounds like it’s greater than 50%. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2021 at 4:11 PM, Porterhouse said:

On 11/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, royiv said:

On 11/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, Porterhouse said:

I’m not holding my breath. I’ve heard this from several sources, but we’ll see. GP and CDC are REALLY tight. S  as tk isn’t going anywhere. GP isn’t likely to get a HC gig right away unless LSU is grasping, and even then I can’t see GP saying “yeah that’s worth the headache.”  GP would love to make a couple mil per year for a temporary job, and then go and take over a middling P5 program. He is a hell of a coach that needed a serious change in scenery. 

Dykes and Lashlee are going to ensure the DFW programs stay relevant (TCU’s case a return to relevance). 

On 11/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, royiv said:

Dude, GP ain't going to go work for 7WS. It's not happening.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, Porterhouse said:

I don’t think it appreciably improves us, really. The D’s problem is a woeful lack of talent. I’m just telling you I’ve heard from 2 different guys who….know things. 

Edit: 7WS?

On 11/27/2021 at 5:22 PM, royiv said:

On 11/27/2021 at 5:45 PM, Porterhouse said:

On 11/27/2021 at 8:40 PM, nnm said:

On 11/27/2021 at 8:50 PM, Porterhouse said:

You’re probably right.  Even if he were inclined to come for a lot of money Sark would bitch to CDC and Sark isn’t under fire. Yet. I’ve just heard this from 2 separate rumor mill sources who are generally on the money and one called the Dykes deal done 3 weeks ago in the same conversation. Probably big cigar wishful thinking. Thought I’d share; not happy I did. 

Bump

• 2 weeks later...

63fz60.gif

Fort Worth writer....

Thanks for this article goes to @Cairn Horn88

From Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Mac Engel
Mon, January 31, 2022, 2:53 PM

Ever since April Fool’s Day, every single person associated with Texas Tech has waited for this week because they all feel like they were treated like fools.

It’s neither fair, nor is it even right, but Chris Beard is the face of the betrayal every single Texas Tech fan feels towards the University of Texas.  In the span of four months last year, Texas Tech lost its revered men’s basketball coach to Texas, and then its century-long conference affiliation with the Longhorns to the SEC.

Beard to Texas is trauma. Texas leaving its conference relationship with Texas Tech is torture.

Beard flew with Texas Tech only to land at Texas, and now the coach who had the Red Raiders within seconds of winning a national title in 2019 returns to The Plains for the first time since UT announced his hiring on April 1, 2021.

The No. 14 Red Raiders will host Beard’s No. 24 Longhorns on Tuesday night in the most anticipated college basketball game in this state since Feb. 11, 2008, when No. 11 Texas defeated No. 3 Kansas.

The Red Raiders have some things they need to get off their chest, and they couldn’t do it last fall because their football game against the Longhorns was played in Austin.

“In the 30 years of covering it, I have never seen anything like this for a regular season game,” said longtime Lubbock sports radio talk show host, Ryan Hyatt. “Heck, I haven’t seen many football games that rivaled this anticipation level.”

Beard better mask up. And wear a protective face shield. And put on gloves. And maybe a hazmat suit. After all of that is on, he should put on body armor, too.

This particular edition of Texas at Texas Tech is the rare instance when a basketball game in Texas feels like Tobacco Road in North Carolina when the Tar Heels play the Duke Blue Devils.

A local attorney in Lubbock hired retired wrestling star Ric “The Nature Boy” Flair to come to Lubbock to help promote a game that didn’t need any of his trademark “WOOOOOS!”

This event does have a Vince McMahon, WWE-feel, but there is nothing scripted or staged about the animosity and anger Texas Tech fans feel toward Beard and Texas right now.

Texas Tech students started lining up outside United Supermarkets Arena on Saturday night for this game; don’t worry, mom and dad, they got their homework done.

Tickets on the secondary market for this game run anywhere between $235 and $1,859. You can normally get into a Texas Tech basketball game for $30 or so, maybe less.

If Texas Tech is able to do it, and the Red Raiders have the players to pull it off, they need to run it up. Don’t clear the bench to let the walk-on hit the jumper with 45 seconds remaining in the game.

This game requires the Red Raiders to go full Billy Tubbs on Texas, and leave in all of the starters to score as many points as possible to humiliate Texas, and Beard.

Texas Tech will play at Texas on Feb. 19, but the Red Raiders have one shot to take their shot.

The feelings will start to fade after Tuesday night, so they need to do everything they need to do, say everything they need to say, and slam every dunk they need to dunk. Right now.

Everyone associated with Texas Tech needs to try to rid themselves of their anger at UT, and then celebrate what Mark Adams is doing in Beard’s place.

There was nothing Texas Tech, athletic director Kirby Hocutt, or any member of the Tech board, could have done to keep Beard. He wanted to go to Austin.

He had a great run in Lubbock, and he’s a wonderful steward for a sport in a state that needs more personalities like his.

Texas Tech has several reasons to channel its anger toward Beard and Texas, and Tuesday night is the Red Raiders’ chance to let them have it.

Don’t blow it, but then it’s time to move on because that’s exactly what they did.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...