Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

Blacklock is a huge loss. Arguably the best defensive lineman returning in the Big 12. 

Beyond just talent he was an important piece on the DL because of his size. He was distinct from their other DTs because he was a space eater. 

Blacklock is 329. Bethley is 290, Broadnax JR is 294, and Ellis is 304. They might be forced to play Tu'ua some reps now because of his size but he's a drop off in talent compared to the other guys. 

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Blacklock is a huge loss. Arguably the best defensive lineman returning in the Big 12. 

Beyond just talent he was an important piece on the DL because of his size. He was distinct from their other DTs because he was a space eater. 

Blacklock is 329. Bethley is 290, Broadnax JR is 294, and Ellis is 304. They might be forced to play Tu'ua some reps now because of his size but he's a drop off in talent compared to the other guys. 

Definitely a blow.  

6 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Patterson is known for going smaller but it's going to be interesting to watch TCU's defense. 

Banugo 249, Bethley 290, Broadnax 294, Collier 276, Summers 235, Evans 206. 

That is a small front 6. Really small with no Blacklock. 

I feel like Patterson could grab 4 guys off of Surly to play on the DL and they'd still be in the top half of the league.

55 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I feel like Patterson could grab 4 guys off of Surly to play on the DL and they'd still be in the top half of the league.

Agreed, and not ment as a knock on current athletes at the school, just that Patterson can coach up players to the level he needs so well year in & year out...

57 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Losing Blacklock is huge because the guy was 6'4" 330 lbs and incredibly athletic.  He wasn't just a space eater in the run game like a Andrew Billings (Baylor) or Poona Ford.  Blacklock was freakishly athletic for a guy his size and offenses had to double team him on passing downs which led to opportunities for the DEs and LBs to get to the QB.  However, you are right to some extent.  For one or two games, Gary can scheme around deficiencies on his D-Line.  Our starting D-line in the Rose Bowl was Stansley Maponga, Cory Grant, DJ Yendrey and Wayne Daniels.  Except for Maponga who has been a journeyman NFLer, those guys would be 3rd teamers at best on our current defense.  Yet they managed to beat a Wisconsin offensive line that had two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick and an UDFA who has played 6 seasons (so far) in the NFL with 60 starts.  

34 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Losing Blacklock is huge because the guy was 6'4" 330 lbs and incredibly athletic.  He wasn't just a space eater in the run game like a Andrew Billings (Baylor) or Poona Ford.

Poona Ford was not "just a space eater in the run game", either.

In other news, the guy who punched Novak (TCU TE) was acquitted.

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/crime--law/man-acquitted-punch-that-injured-tcu-football-player-cole-novak/bvVZoQSl4H3qqr7VsFV8VN/

Fearing for his safety, Hanson said he retreated from Cole Novak, who is 6 feet 6 inches tall and weighed about 260 pounds at the time. Cole Novak had balled up his fist and was moving toward him, Hanson said.

“He was looking to continue the fight,” Hanson said. “He was very energetic. He was laughing in an aggressive, sarcastic way. … I perceived it as looking for trouble.”

In her final arguments, Heathman called the Novak brothers “bullies.”

“Cole was capable of causing serious bodily injury when my client intervened,” she said.

Barrera, who is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 168 pounds, walked up and delivered the punch, leaving Novak bloodied and dazed.

10 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Losing Blacklock is huge because the guy was 6'4" 330 lbs and incredibly athletic.  He wasn't just a space eater in the run game like a Andrew Billings (Baylor) or Poona Ford.  Blacklock was freakishly athletic for a guy his size and offenses had to double team him on passing downs which led to opportunities for the DEs and LBs to get to the QB.  However, you are right to some extent.  For one or two games, Gary can scheme around deficiencies on his D-Line.  Our starting D-line in the Rose Bowl was Stansley Maponga, Cory Grant, DJ Yendrey and Wayne Daniels.  Except for Maponga who has been a journeyman NFLer, those guys would be 3rd teamers at best on our current defense.  Yet they managed to beat a Wisconsin offensive line that had two 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick and an UDFA who has played 6 seasons (so far) in the NFL with 60 starts.  

tenor.gif?itemid=9720990

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 1:41 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Frogians, how has Robinson looked and what the expectations for him this year?

GP said he won the job by throwing fewer interceptions than the other guy.  Supposedly SR only threw 3 ints during all of fall camp.  GP also said that he's better at getting himself out of trouble when the pass rush beats the O-line.  The transfer from Penn will play in game one as well but it's Southern and GP hates to run up the score.  If we're going to see him throw a pass, he probably will have to play in the 2nd quarter. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bama Llama said:

I would willingly do a week of latrine box duty for my wife's legion of cats if TV at tOSU/TCU discovers Urbs on the mezzanine at Jerry World, scanning the field, wearing a Groucho disguise w/an earpiece, urgently whispering into his cuff.  Great band, though, Buckeyes.

That might be more probable than you'd think, remember Urbie can still coach the team in all practices...

17 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

TCU v. Utah preview.  Timely. Topical. Relevant.

Agreed, when factoring how TCU/ Utah in the old MWC was arguably the game of the year, and now it's possible the Horned Frogs are the biggest foe of UT in state...

Texas ex admits adding TCU blew up on UT: 'We've been getting our

4 hours ago - Texas ex admits adding TCU blew up on UT: 'We've been getting our (bleep) ... When DeLoss Dodds invited TCU into his conference, he could not .... This is where we are in the great state of Texas: at least on the field, TCU ...

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Agreed, when factoring how TCU/ Utah in the old MWC was arguably the game of the year, and now it's possible the Horned Frogs are the biggest foe of UT in state...

I want to go on record stating Fuck Deloss Dodds.

Fuck you, you pompous cock-sucking, golf cart-riding pile of cells dedicated to greed.

This dumbass and his cronies have set back an athletic department that is still trying to recover. 

3 minutes ago, Blanton said:

I want to go on record stating Fuck Deloss Dodds.

Fuck you, you pompous cock-sucking, golf cart-riding pile of cells dedicated to greed.

This dumbass and his cronies have set back an athletic department that is still trying to recover. 

Over his 30 some odd year tenure, Deloss did a lot to improve UT athletics, but there are "1 or 2 events" I would have rather went differently, in the last few years under Dodds...

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Over his 30 some odd year tenure, Deloss did a lot to improve UT athletics, but there are "1 or 2 events" I would have rather went differently, in the last few years under Dodds...

Do you root for UT or some guy doing a research study on a message board gauging people’s reactions to your posts?

Anyone who views Deloss’ tenure, in its entirety (not just the good ole days), would understand objectively his actions have 100% crippled the football program. 

7 minutes ago, Blanton said:

Do you root for UT or some guy doing a research study on a message board gauging people’s reactions to your posts?

Anyone who views Deloss’ tenure, in its entirety (not just the good ole days), would understand objectively his actions have 100% crippled the football program. 

I.m am not disagreeing with that...

• 3 weeks later...

I still hate Tech for 2008, but their fans are much less douchetastic. 

TCU, on the other hand, has been pivotal in undermining UT’s success for the better part of the decade. I can see TCU clawing their way back into the conference championship game over Texas. 

Tech can beat TCU, and then hopefully pick up some losses. 

Therefore, I will be rooting on the Tortilla Tech Raiders.

Go Raiders!

• 1 month later...