Tell me about TCU

Longboard Horn

17 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ. Everyone including grads (namely ACU) equates the schools. I know quite a bit about TCU. 

No, no they don't, but keep telling yourself that and I guess I can equate Texas and ATM since both teams primary color is on the shit end of the color wheel. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Disciples of Christ and Church of Christ. Everyone including grads (namely ACU) equates the schools. I know quite a bit about TCU. 

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on this board in a long while. No one equates ACU and TCU. Keep fucking that chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

On 3/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, ztejas said:

What a bunch of losers. Historically you have the shittiest basketball program in the B12 and it isn't really that close. You haven't won a tournament game since 1987. Last year you had a guy drafted for the first time since 1999. Go measure dicks with aggy since that's apparently what you aim for. 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:22 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Wow.... that's very aggy of them......

TCU = cowtown aggy

On 3/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, PGFrog said:

whomever handles social media for tcu sports does a trash job at it they are an embarrassment in a number of ways beyond this one

On 3/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, HoustonFrog said:

Truth

I really don't see what the big deal is.  So a longtime conference rival throws a little Twitter shade at us after we lose a tournament game to a tiny school's basketball team we should have curbstomped and y'all are getting bent out of shape?

Were they supposed to hug us and tell us it'll all be okay?  Act like the SEC and root for their conference rivals to win it all?  Nah, none of that.  Who cares what they posted on Twitter.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

fans GIF

They’re not OUsux, but TCU-UT goes back a century and has historically been a rivalry. Not so much from 1960-2010, but among other things the “hook ‘em” comes from the fact that they were long-standing conference foes and usually a tough out. https://www.hookem.com/uncategorized/20151111/happy-birthday-to-the-hook-em-horns-sign/

As does the aggy “gig ‘em.”  

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t have to tell myself anything. Common knowledge. If you wanna make an ass of yourself equating Texas & A&M, be my guest. And by all means, keep denigrating burnt orange on Surly Horns. 

Common knowledge that is about as fucking right as most of the expertise on the internet that is completely fucking wrong, but keeping telling yourself you have a clue as the most common bonds the schools have are the color purple,  being near the interstate, and having christian in their name.

I have nothing against burnt orange and think it is a unique and great color for the school. Damn shame Texas doesn't wear true burnt orange anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, nnm said:

They’re not OUsux, but TCU-UT goes back a century and has historically been a rivalry. Not so much from 1960-2010, but among other things the “hook ‘em” comes from the fact that they were long-standing conference foes and usually a tough out. https://www.hookem.com/uncategorized/20151111/happy-birthday-to-the-hook-em-horns-sign/

As does the aggy “gig ‘em.”  

Maybe Sasrkisian will take TCU seriously. My son went to TCU. They love being a disrespected underdog. Since 2000, TCU football has about a .750 win percentage and is 11-6 in bowl games with seven top ten final rankings. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Off topic: Re: Burnt Orange

Royal changed the school color. It used to be just a slightly darker shade of orange than Tennessee.

123f0fd3bb56a4d671dfedfeb84f4526.jpg

Royal changed the orange to more closely match the football. 

worster_original.jpg?1273945603

It was a subtle change, but it made it harder for opposing teams to spot the player with the ball when the Horns were running the triple option. 

There was an old saying that Royal never broke any NCAA rules, but he was responsible for a lot of new ones being written. He was an absolute master at exploiting the system. Check the history of the tearaway jersey, another Royal development. 

As others have noted, Texas no longer uses the true burnt orange from the Royal era. I've often wondered if there's a secret "Texas rule" that the UT color has to be at least slightly different from the color of the football. 

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Maybe Sasrkisian will take TCU seriously. My son went to TCU. They love being a disrespected underdog. Since 2000, TCU football has about a .750 win percentage and is 11-6 in bowl games with seven top ten final rankings. 

Patterson has a real talent for making a game ugly and sloppy, then slipping out a win late. 

One thing to watch out for is the return of Doug Meacham to TCU as an offensive coach. In his last stint there as offensive coordinator (2014-2016) they won eleven games twice. Patterson has dropped off the last few years, but the Frogs have, under him, been schizophrenic, going from 10+ wins to losing seasons with regularity. Even in their bad years, though, they tend to pull off a few upsets and lose close games. They don't get blown out a lot. 

And yeah, they have Patterson's personality, perpetually butt hurt and feeling disrespected. And they use it for motivation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

Patterson has a real talent for making a game ugly and sloppy, then slipping out a win late. 

One thing to watch out for is the return of Doug Meacham to TCU as an offensive coach. In his last stint there as offensive coordinator (2014-2016) they won eleven games twice. Patterson has dropped off the last few years, but the Frogs have, under him, been schizophrenic, going from 10+ wins to losing seasons with regularity. Even in their bad years, though, they tend to pull off a few upsets and lose close games. They don't get blown out a lot. 

And yeah, they have Patterson's personality, perpetually butt hurt and feeling disrespected. And they use it for motivation. 

Yep. I think Patterson is getting tired and feeling his age and the stress of decades of coaching. He might have a few more years left but I think that's it. Under Patterson, TCU has been able to play almost anyone close because, quite frankly, he is a great defensive coach - one of the best during this era of college football. Personally, I have great respect for that man as a coach. When he managed to get good talent on offense combined with some creative minds on the offensive staff, he had top ten teams and two teams that were top two or three. He won't finish his career with a national championship but TCU was oh so close to winning it three times during Patterson's tenure. He'll be almost impossible to replace.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yah, I guess it's okay to see TCU as an occasional rival, but less than half the time, fer sher.

Truthfully, pretty much every time I hear or read something with "TCU", the word that invariably comes to mind is "cockroaches". To gain, or maintain, respect among your peers, you should think "cockroaches", any time you think  of TCU at all. It would also behoove you to know the Story of Saint Darrell and the Cockroaches. 

It's pretty funny that you call us cockroaches. We are happy to fall into your ice cream and ruin it....

But seriously, I gotta say, UT is my 2nd favorite Big-12 team, after TCU of course. Now Baylor totally sucks, but that's a different topic.

We'll see how well we do in FB this next year. We've been pretty stale for three years, now. 

3 hours ago, FrogFan said:

It's pretty funny that you call us cockroaches. We are happy to fall into your ice cream and ruin it....

But seriously, I gotta say, UT is my 2nd favorite Big-12 team, after TCU of course. Now Baylor totally sucks, but that's a different topic.

We'll see how well we do in FB this next year. We've been pretty stale for three years, now. 

Geez, at least make them buy you dinner first.

• 1 month later...

Gerald & Kyle -- Burnt Orange Nation Podcast

July 8, 2021 - TCU Preview     5 days ago 1:13:58 

https://player.fm/series/burnt-orange-nation-for-texas-longhorns-fans/july-8-2021-tcu-preview 

"Our journey through the Texas Longhorns' 2022 reaches the second week of conference play, so we welcome in Melissa Triebwasser of Frogs O' War to help us dive in on the TCU Horned Frogs.  TCU will have a new man calling the plays, with Dough Meachem taking over full-time for Sonny Cumbie - who is back in Lubbock to call the plays for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. He inherits a team that is fully loaded at the offensive skill positions, but has questions at the offensive line - so what do we expect from his unit?"

TCU 2021 success will probably come down to how well their OL improves, and can their QB throw the ball down the field better.

Duggan was terribly inaccurate on a lot of deeper route throws in 2020.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

TCU 2021 success will probably come down to how well their OL improves, and can their QB throw the ball down the field better.

Duggan was terribly inaccurate on a lot of deeper route throws in 2020.

That is very accurate.  Duggan really had no opportunity last year to develop since spring ball was cancelled, and due to his heart condition didn't get back on the field until right when the season started.  Hopefully he has had time to work on the downfield throws during the off season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

That is very accurate.  Duggan really had no opportunity last year to develop since spring ball was cancelled, and due to his heart condition didn't get back on the field until right when the season started.  Hopefully he has had time to work on the downfield throws during the off season.

What do you think about Doug Meacham calling plays ??  

Dugan is like 7-49 passing vs Texas and still 2-0 lol

"TCU football coach Gary Patterson said he’s “not a big transfer guy” even though he has been the benefactor of the transfer portal in recent years. "

HaHaHaHa... 😋 

2h
Most players lost to the transfer portal over the last year (by my count): 37: Tennessee 27: Kansas 25: Memphis 23: TCU, WKU, Wazzu 22: Auburn, Miss St, WVU 21: Buff, Mich, Mich St, UMass, UNC, Vandy 

image.png.8d7bf7318ad2defe5a775deb4bb0e99c.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Frogs O'War"

Midweek Musing: TCU Football, picked fifth in the preseason poll, can win the Big 12. Here’s how.

With just over a week until kick-off, I am getting bullish on the Horned Frogs.

By Melissa B. Triebwasser@TheCoachMelissa  Aug 26, 2021

1230096820.0.jpg

This guy can lead TCU Football back to the promised land. 

Photo by Matthew Pearce/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The offseason is bad.

It’s always bad. It’s been ESPECIALLY bad for Big 12 teams not named Oklahoma and Texas this summer, as fans of the conference’s quote-unquote leftovers wonder just what in the hell happens next for their favorite team?

But, the offseason, mercifully is almost over, football season is nearly upon us, and as we wade through the murky waters of futures unknown, we can finally stop and just watch the boys play.

Thank god.

But the offseason is also good, as it allows us to hope and dream and scheme as to just how good our programs may actually be. Today, everyone is 0-0! Everyone is undefeated! Everyone has a CHANCE.

The longer we go without games being played, the more I begin to believe we will never lose another one.

That’s right. I am all in on TCU Football.

I know... I know. You‘re worried I am going to jinx it. But this is not that, I promise. This is just a practical look at TCU’s schedule, where they can win games, and how other team’s performances might help get them to Arlington in December.

This is just a little... hope.

Let’s take a look.

Week One: TCU Football vs Duquense

If I have to explain this one, might as well delete the whole article.

Week Two: TCU Football vs Cal

The Bears aren’t bad! They are well coached, they’ve got a pretty good quarterback, and a really veteran defense. But the Horned Frogs should be able to beat the Bears on their home field, and I expect a closer than we would like, defensive-oriented victory by the good guys, maybe 29-13.

Week Three: BYE WEEK

Enjoy it, because it’s the only one you get.

Week Four: TCU Football vs SMU

You want a litmus test? You’ve got it. One could argue that the Mustangs are a tougher opponent than the Longhorns will be, but you know there might be a few guys looking ahead a week in the locker room. The Ponies replace a good transfer quarterback with... a good transfer quarterback. We think. They’re explosive on offense, the defense is better, and they’ve got talent across the board.

But if you’re TCU Football, and you want to be taken seriously, this is one you have to win.

Week Five: TCU Football vs Texas

A four game season-opening home stand ends with the beginning of the Big 12 conference season, as weeks of realignment frustration gets settled on the field and the Frogs look to make it an 8-2 record against Hook Em since joining the Big 12.

Count me amongst the camp that believe that they will do exactly that.

Week Six: TCU Football at Texas Tech

The Red Raiders will be better in 2021; by all accounts, the defense looks solid, the QB has a ton of hype, and the Red Raiders still have riches at running back and wide receiver.

But the Horned Frogs ***should*** still be better than this version of the Red Raiders, and as weird as games get in West Texas, I still expect the good guys to bring this one home.

Week Seven: TCU Football at Oklahoma

At this point, I have the Frogs 5-0... but that’s where the undefeated dream season dies. TCU has played Oklahoma tough in Norman more often than not, but I think the Sooners prevail on their home field — though not without intrigue.

Week Eight: TCU Football vs WVU

If this game was in Morgantown it would terrify me; as it stands, based on recent history with the Mountaineers and coming off of the Sooner hangover, it’s still a toss-up. But if you’re trying to make a conference championship game, you have to protect your home field — and you really have to do so against teams you’re picked to finish ahead of in the rankings.

Week Nine: TCU Football at Kansas State

How good is Kansas State? I have absolutely no idea. I do think the Frogs are going to drop one of these weird road games (either Tech, K State, or Oklahoma State), but Patterson has had his guys ready for the Powercats more often than not over the last few seasons, and I think they get it done on the road this fall.

Week Ten: TCU Football vs Baylor

Rivalry games are weird and Baylor is a better football team in 2021, but TCU is just simply a better football team. At home in early November, that matters. Frogs win.

Week Eleven: TCU Football at Oklahoma State

The Cowboys are always well-prepared and talented. The grind of eight straight weeks of games could get to the Frogs here, and it’s tough enough to beat the Pokes in Stillwater as is. The Frogs will lose more than one game this fall, in my opinion, and I think this one is the second.

Week Twelve: TCU Football vs Kansas

Do not lose to Kansas at home in week 12. The end.

Week Thirteen: TCU Football at Iowa State

Okay, before we look at this game directly, hear me out.

The main contenders not named Oklahoma are Iowa State, Texas, and Oklahoma State, according to most folks who talk about these things.

Heading into the final week of the regular season, let’s just say this:

Iowa State is 9-2 with losses at WVU and Oklahoma

Texas is 7-4, having lost to either Louisiana or Arkansas, TCU, Oklahoma, and Iowa State

Oklahoma State sits 8-3 with Ls by way of Boise State (?), Texas, and Iowa State

Oklahoma will have a loss somewhere I am sure, but this would put the Cyclones and Horned Frogs in a winner-take-all throw down for the right to play the Sooners the following week at Jerry World.

We can dream, right?

This would be a tough game for TCU of course; Iowa State is very good, very talented, very experienced, and very well coached — not to mention incredibly tough to beat at home. But when Gary has a pseudo bowl game on the docket... he just doesn’t lose a lot of these.

I for one would love to see it, either way.

TCU Football could well be 7-5 or 8-4 or 10-2 by the time the dust shakes off in November and none of those options would surprise me one bit. But the important point is, there’s a path to playing for a title... one that doesn’t seem all that out of the question.

We are just over a week away from getting to find out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FOAT WUTH STAR TELEGRAM...

It’s not about a flag. TCU football coach loses it again after losing to SMU | Opinion

BY MAC ENGEL    UPDATED SEPTEMBER 30, 2021 9:39 AM

Mt. Gary is still an active volcano, and just because it’s 61 years old doesn’t mean it’s not prone to explode.

That Gary Patterson popped after losing to SMU on Saturday isn’t the surprise; the shocker is the timing, which is ultimately why this latest eruption is embarrassing.

Just take the L, and move on to Texas.

Typically the TCU coach who wears his emotions not just on his sleeve but also his face, sunglasses, visor, shirt, pants, socks and shoes, is prone to lose his stuffing 20 minutes after a loss. Those sometimes illogical rants are logical.

But when it comes to SMU, Gary can’t keep it together at any time.

Gary’s entertaining rant on Tuesday at his weekly press conference was 72 hours after TCU’s home loss to SMU, and GP “at his best.”

“I cannot substantiate that it was a SMU or TCU person, but it did happen,” Patterson said on Tuesday of assistant coach Jerry Kill, who has battled serious health issues over the years, was hit and fell to the ground amid SMU’s celebration/chaos.

“If we wouldn’t have had the flags, it wouldn’t have happened. OK?”

Twice in this rant Patterson said he could “not substantiate” his claims.

If you can’t substantiate the claims either don’t say it, don’t say it, or don’t say it. Or, find a different word.

Because this is not about a flag.

Gary is upset that his team lost, and that his defense had it handed to him by little SMU for the second straight game in this series in Fort Worth.

TCU has allowed little SMU to score 40 points in Fort Worth in their last two meetings. The last time little SMU scored 40 in consecutive games against TCU was 1977 and ‘78.

On Saturday, Gary was irked that some SMU players pulled a Baker Mayfield and tried to “plant” the SMU flag at midfield at Amon G. Carter Stadium after the win.

That led to the postgame scuffle, which resulted in Kill sustaining a concussion. There is nothing funny about that.

Patterson said this was all coordinated and planned. He may be right.

Here is what that extensive planning would have sounded like: “Hey, SMU video team, when our players celebrate on the field after the game, get video of it.”

SMU denied Gary’s allegations. Athletic director Rick Hart went so far as to issue a statement, and called Patterson’s accusations “a complete fabrication.”

Social media is mostly trash, but one of its great developments are accounts from teams that don’t take themselves too seriously and use TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for fun.

@SMUFootball posted a video on its Twitter account after the win and used one of Patterson’s country songs as the soundtrack.

Gary didn’t like that, either.

There is one way to avoid all of this — beat them.

And TCU normally beats SMU, but when the Frogs don’t ... don’t be around this coach.

The other notable times Mt. Gary has popped after playing SMU:

Sept. 21, 2019.

After the Frogs lost at home to SMU 41-38, Gary was not happy with his primary offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie.

Gary was so not happy that he did something he’s never done before, or since, that date. He made Cumbie available to the media after a game.

Gary’s explanation for this was because he wanted “somebody that could actually answer” questions about the quarterback.

Oct. 2011.

Two days after TCU’s overtime loss to SMU in Fort Worth, Patterson made a point to rip the Conference USA officiating crew during a conference call with reporters.

“I’d be quiet if I thought the person in charge of the officiating crew came out and said it wasn’t very good, but they didn’t. I have a hard time with people who don’t admit mistakes. I have to do it all the time,” he said. “I have their names (of the officials). They won’t ever come back to this stadium again.”

The next day, during his midweek press conference, after what he perceived as a slight from then coach SMU coach June Jones about his program, he ranted about SMU.

“They’re getting no help from Gary Patterson,” Patterson said. “They shouldn’t ask me about going into a conference, they shouldn’t ask me about how they played, they shouldn’t ask me about their players, they shouldn’t ask me about anything because they’re not getting any help, period, anymore.

“We’ve bent over backwards to make sure that they improved their program because I believe that’s what you do.”

The next year, a few days before TCU played SMU in Dallas, Gary said, “If I was going to do a press conference over again last year what I would tell you is after watching the film SMU kicked our butts on both sides of the ball.

“Am I still disappointed in some things? Yeah, but the bottom line is if I want to do that I can just call (Jones) on the phone. I don’t need to say it in front of a camera. If I’m going to be the person I’m going to be and I’m going to teach young people to be the right people then I’ve got to act right, too. Simple as that. But I’m still not taking back what I said about the officials.”

It’s 2021, and while Mt. Gary may be 61 he’s still an active volcano.

Because this isn’t about a flag.

This is about losing to SMU.

And losing to SMU at home is a good way to watch Mt. Gary erupt.

• Haha 1

FOAT WUTH STAR TELEGRAM...
It’s not about a flag. TCU football coach loses it again after losing to SMU | Opinion
BY MAC ENGEL    UPDATED SEPTEMBER 30, 2021 9:39 AM
Mt. Gary is still an active volcano, and just because it’s 61 years old doesn’t mean it’s not prone to explode.
That Gary Patterson popped after losing to SMU on Saturday isn’t the surprise; the shocker is the timing, which is ultimately why this latest eruption is embarrassing.
Just take the L, and move on to Texas.
Typically the TCU coach who wears his emotions not just on his sleeve but also his face, sunglasses, visor, shirt, pants, socks and shoes, is prone to lose his stuffing 20 minutes after a loss. Those sometimes illogical rants are logical.
But when it comes to SMU, Gary can’t keep it together at any time.
Gary’s entertaining rant on Tuesday at his weekly press conference was 72 hours after TCU’s home loss to SMU, and GP “at his best.”
“I cannot substantiate that it was a SMU or TCU person, but it did happen,” Patterson said on Tuesday of assistant coach Jerry Kill, who has battled serious health issues over the years, was hit and fell to the ground amid SMU’s celebration/chaos.
“If we wouldn’t have had the flags, it wouldn’t have happened. OK?”
Twice in this rant Patterson said he could “not substantiate” his claims.
If you can’t substantiate the claims either don’t say it, don’t say it, or don’t say it. Or, find a different word.
Because this is not about a flag.
Gary is upset that his team lost, and that his defense had it handed to him by little SMU for the second straight game in this series in Fort Worth.
TCU has allowed little SMU to score 40 points in Fort Worth in their last two meetings. The last time little SMU scored 40 in consecutive games against TCU was 1977 and ‘78.
On Saturday, Gary was irked that some SMU players pulled a Baker Mayfield and tried to “plant” the SMU flag at midfield at Amon G. Carter Stadium after the win.
That led to the postgame scuffle, which resulted in Kill sustaining a concussion. There is nothing funny about that.
Patterson said this was all coordinated and planned. He may be right.
Here is what that extensive planning would have sounded like: “Hey, SMU video team, when our players celebrate on the field after the game, get video of it.”
SMU denied Gary’s allegations. Athletic director Rick Hart went so far as to issue a statement, and called Patterson’s accusations “a complete fabrication.”
Social media is mostly trash, but one of its great developments are accounts from teams that don’t take themselves too seriously and use TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for fun.
@SMUFootball posted a video on its Twitter account after the win and used one of Patterson’s country songs as the soundtrack.
Gary didn’t like that, either.
There is one way to avoid all of this — beat them.
And TCU normally beats SMU, but when the Frogs don’t ... don’t be around this coach.
The other notable times Mt. Gary has popped after playing SMU:
Sept. 21, 2019.
After the Frogs lost at home to SMU 41-38, Gary was not happy with his primary offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie.
Gary was so not happy that he did something he’s never done before, or since, that date. He made Cumbie available to the media after a game.
Gary’s explanation for this was because he wanted “somebody that could actually answer” questions about the quarterback.
Oct. 2011.
Two days after TCU’s overtime loss to SMU in Fort Worth, Patterson made a point to rip the Conference USA officiating crew during a conference call with reporters.
“I’d be quiet if I thought the person in charge of the officiating crew came out and said it wasn’t very good, but they didn’t. I have a hard time with people who don’t admit mistakes. I have to do it all the time,” he said. “I have their names (of the officials). They won’t ever come back to this stadium again.”
The next day, during his midweek press conference, after what he perceived as a slight from then coach SMU coach June Jones about his program, he ranted about SMU.
“They’re getting no help from Gary Patterson,” Patterson said. “They shouldn’t ask me about going into a conference, they shouldn’t ask me about how they played, they shouldn’t ask me about their players, they shouldn’t ask me about anything because they’re not getting any help, period, anymore.
“We’ve bent over backwards to make sure that they improved their program because I believe that’s what you do.”
The next year, a few days before TCU played SMU in Dallas, Gary said, “If I was going to do a press conference over again last year what I would tell you is after watching the film SMU kicked our butts on both sides of the ball.
“Am I still disappointed in some things? Yeah, but the bottom line is if I want to do that I can just call (Jones) on the phone. I don’t need to say it in front of a camera. If I’m going to be the person I’m going to be and I’m going to teach young people to be the right people then I’ve got to act right, too. Simple as that. But I’m still not taking back what I said about the officials.”
It’s 2021, and while Mt. Gary may be 61 he’s still an active volcano.
Because this isn’t about a flag.
This is about losing to SMU.
And losing to SMU at home is a good way to watch Mt. Gary erupt.

Damn......